Welcome, Guest

Maybe we should just close down GYE?
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 13173 Views

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 16:31 #301288

• mirror
  • Expert Boarder
This may sound funny, but I have learnt a lot from this thread. I used to think that it was only me, and if I could not accept everything that worked for other people then I was not serious about recovery. I now see that there are a lot of people like me. Recovery is a unique process and, like medication I will not get better by taking your medicine, and you might get bad side effects from taking my medicine. Each person has to find the prescription that will work for them.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 17:05 #301293

• unanumun
  • Platinum Boarder

"the.guard" post=301229 date=1482793425 catid=4
unanumun wrote on 26 Dec 2016 21:30:

"GYE is offering this opportunity for free to y'all and no one is taking advantage of this?! I am shocked. I think we may as well just close down GYE. It seems no one is using the site anymore."

I feel like this is a slap in the face. 
Yes, I don't think i would have gotten to my place without dov's pushing me and challenging me the first few days i was on the site, but since then (almost two years,) i have not had too much to do with him. Not on purpose  - it just worked out that way. 
I have been clean since I joined the site, and have grown in many many areas of my life, besides lust, and i continue to grow. I still am in regular contact with friends that i made through gye and read almost all the posts - I receive them all as emails.
If I and others like me are not a reason for GYE's existence as long as people aren't showing up to a specific phone call, then perhaps go ahead and close it down. 

Unanumun, please forgive me. You are right, I shouldn't have used such language. I was just a little shocked when Dov called me today that no one called in.

You are a wonderful GYE success story, and we all salute you. The whole GYE would have been worth it for you alone! Halevai more of our members should be like you. Keep up the good work!

Forgiven

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 17:53 #301296

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
I cannot state this as a fact, but it seems that Dov (my hero) doesn't give much importance to this forum as an end all, and it's only valuable as a vehicle to opening up
I actually encourage many newbies to follow that (just this past week one opened up to his Rebbi due to my encouragement via PM)
It seems that the.guard may feel the same as Dov and therefore asked if gye should shut down

However many current members don't need that road - it's likely a minority, but more guys than I thought, that have this forum as their home which is why Unanuman got upset earlier

Like Sg, I too still have many Dov quotes to read

Dov doesn't know his karma count cos he doesn't live here, but a different fellow that joined SA recently, told me he added aprx 100 karma to Dov's count

It's a token of appreciation, but since Dov doesn't live here, we should better get on the phone and call him if we want to say thanks
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 18:13 #301298

• stillgoing
  • Platinum Boarder
Markz wrote on 27 Dec 2016 17:53:
I cannot state this as a fact, but it seems that Dov (my hero) doesn't give much importance to this forum as an end all, and it's only valuable as a vehicle to opening up
I

It's true. The forum is not an end all, but neither is opening up, or 12 steps. They are all simply a means to get to the real end all which is sobriety and a happy productive life. Should we knock meetings because they are not the end all? There are many means to get to the end and like mirrer wrote above, each person had their own path to get there.
BIG SHOT!
Free Choice?!
Yirai's Memories
STORY TIME :)

Dr. Seuss - You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go.

FSKOT! (Fell Shmell--Keep on Trucking) (The Rebba R' Bards)

613stillgoing@gmail.com

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 19:11 #301302

• cordnoy
Markz wrote on 27 Dec 2016 17:53:
I actually encourage many newbies to follow that (just this past week one opened up to his Rebbi due to my encouragement via PM)
It seems that the.guard may feel the same as Dov and therefore asked if gye should shut down

However many current members don't need that road - it's likely a minority, but more guys than I thought, that have this forum as their home which is why Unanuman got upset earlier

Like Sg, I too still have many Dov quotes to read

Dov doesn't know his karma count cos he doesn't live here, but a different fellow that joined SA recently, told me he added aprx 100 karma to Dov's count

It's a token of appreciation, but since Dov doesn't live here, we should better get on the phone and call him if we want to say thanks

Your post is extremely confusing and it also ignores many of dov's statements as to what he thinks GYE is, and "valuable" is not an adjective that he readily uses in reference to GYE.

AdditionallyI, if this (that it's a way to open up and go further), why the Hell should GYE shut down? That makes no sense.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 20:02 #301307

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Wow!  What clearly started out as a shocking way to get some more people to call in has really snowballed.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 20:28 #301312

• stillgoing
  • Platinum Boarder
Shlomo24 wrote on 26 Dec 2016 17:58:
When I saw the announcement I was initially excited, but then I realized I'm probably not going to call. Reason being is that I'm in 12-step and I try to go to a meeting every morning. At that time I'm just coming out of a meeting and showering and getting dressed.

Shlomo, if I can change the topic for a minute, do you go to meetings in pajamas? It sounds like quite a chillin group you got there. :-)
BIG SHOT!
Free Choice?!
Yirai's Memories

Dr. Seuss - You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go.

613stillgoing@gmail.com

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 20:51 #301315

• cordnoy
stillgoing wrote on 27 Dec 2016 20:28:

When I saw the announcement I was initially excited, but then I realized I'm probably not going to call. Reason being is that I'm in 12-step and I try to go to a meeting every morning. At that time I'm just coming out of a meeting and showering and getting dressed.

Shlomo, if I can change the topic for a minute, do you go to meetings in pajamas? It sounds like quite a chillin group you got there. :-)

Some people post in their pajamas.

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 21:39 #301318

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder

I do! Sometimes. But I usually wear a sweater.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 21:40 #301319

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote on 27 Dec 2016 20:51:

Who the hell doesn't post in their pajamas! Some people post in the nu.... Oops . How embarrassing.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 27 Dec 2016 22:08 #301324

• cordnoy
Shlomo24 wrote on 27 Dec 2016 21:40:

cordnoy wrote on 27 Dec 2016 20:51:

Who the hell doesn't post in their pajamas! Some people post in the nu.... Oops . How embarrassing.

Some post only in their pajamas.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 28 Dec 2016 00:17 #301331

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
OMG the secret has been revealed, Guard and Dov are one in the same person 
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 28 Dec 2016 01:43 #301338

• kedusha
  • Current streak: 717 days
  • Administrator
Relax everyone.  Unfortunately, GYE still has plenty of work to do, so, be'H, it's not going away anytime soon.
Just as an alcoholic needs to avoid that first sip, a lust addict needs to avoid that first slip.Slip today? No way! ;)Fall today? No way, Jose'!

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 28 Dec 2016 02:51 #301343

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
This is a great topic and some may say it is long over due. I've wrestled with these issues and have resolved them somewhat in my mind in some limited way.  Dov as I understand him speaks about his experience, the way he experiences things and what works for him. He says things as he sees it through it through the perspective of his experience. I have heard Dov say something like "you can't get sober without the 12 steps". Then a second later after someone would object, he would say something like "I never said that, that goes against everything I believe about the 12 steps, if I believed that I couldn't stay sober." So not only didn't he say what you thought he said, it's total opposite of what he believes.  Some of what I'm saying here may be what some people are complaining about. I'm not saying it as a complaint. To the extent the fault, if any, lies with Dov I'm sure he works to fix it to the extent he can. However, for me in my experience of what works for me, I have to look at what on my part is contributing to my misunderstanding. I'm not saying you have to do that. You can say screw Dov, if you want. I can't say that because I want what he has and for me to get what he has I have to understand his insights. I recently got into a disagreement with Dov over something he said. He went way above and beyond to try and explain to me what he meant but I wasn't getting it. What I did get is that he wasn't saying what I thought he was saying and he was talking about something totally on a different level than I was hearing.  It's like I tell you the car is red and then tell you I'm not saying the car is red and then spend 2 hours explaining to you what I am saying but never explain how I can say the car is red and then say I'm not saying the car is red. Dov often goes way deep and offers insights that are profound. I once spoke to Dov for an expended periods of time because I needed advice of a vital nature. After I spoke to him I spent time digesting what he was saying and then called him back to get more clarity. I was dealing with a difficult issue and I couldn't afford any ambiguity. Turned out that mistook one of the things he said, but I learned what he meant to say because I talked it out with him. 

Another thing is that for Dov and from his experience, which i relate to very much, the program of SA is a matter of life and death. It is the ikkur and not the tofel. So if something here is in his experience damaging in that view how could not say that. Is he not obligated to tell someone like himself that something is not good for them based on his experience.

Many people look at sobriety as an end. SA looks at sobriety as a mere beginning. It's a means to an end. If I don't lay a proper foundation I may not have a chance to ever get to that end. Truth is when I say "end" that's probably not very accurate. It's about constant growth as a human being. Most people here have, I believe, what is for them a much better method of constant growth and that's Torah and Mitsvos. They feel, rightfully so, that the aveira of shichva zeira livatalah etc is shtering that growth and getting in their way of reaching shlamus. For me that very avodah is detrimental to my recovery. And that isn't kefirah or whatever, it is the fact of my life. My problem was never merely doing an aveira, it was much deeper than that.

Hatzlacha chevra
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Maybe we should just close down GYE? 28 Dec 2016 03:56 #301350

• stillgoing
  • Platinum Boarder
Serenity, you're hired, official gye ambassador to dov.
You see things as they are, yet are wise enough to point out the main points.
BIG SHOT!
Free Choice?!
Yirai's Memories

613stillgoing@gmail.com
Time to create page: 0.81 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes