Welcome, Guest

The Story Teller (Old)
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: The Story Teller (Old) 12395 Views

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 02:34 #364206

• concernedjew21
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Junior Boarder
Like many have said, tons, if not most, of the content on this site is extremely triggering. In fact, some of the posts in this "shakla v'tarya" itself have been triggering to me. 

If we removed everything triggering this site wouldn't exist.

Every medicine has potential side effects, and when you pick up a prescription from the pharmacy it comes with that little info packet and it says "Your doctor has determined that the benefits of this treatment outweigh the risks."

The entire existence of this site is based on the premise that the benefits of people sharing their stories, experiences and struggles with each other outweigh the risks. It makes no sense to relitigate that point for your story specifically.

Please, please, please put the censored parts back, or at least hide them with a trigger warning and let people make their own decision.
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2021 02:38 by concernedjew21.

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 02:53 #364208

• hakolhevel
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
concernedjew21 wrote on 25 Feb 2021 02:34:
Like many have said, tons, if not most, of the content on this site is extremely triggering. In fact, some of the posts in this "shakla v'tarya" itself have been triggering to me. 

If we removed everything triggering this site wouldn't exist.

Every medicine has potential side effects, and when you pick up a prescription from the pharmacy it comes with that little info packet and it says "Your doctor has determined that the benefits of this treatment outweigh the risks."

The entire existence of this site is based on the premise that the benefits of people sharing their stories, experiences and struggles with each other outweigh the risks. It makes no sense to relitigate that point for your story specifically.

Please, please, please put the censored parts back, or at least hide them with a trigger warning and let people make their own decision.

Agree 100 percent
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My Thread:The Road To Being Honest With Myself (and others:)

My other Thread: My Daily Inspiration

I'm not a slow learner, I'm just quick to forget" - Eli Nash

A bit of honesty and less over confidence might help me - Imperfection

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 03:15 #364210

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 61 days
  • Platinum Boarder
General Grant, keep it up.
Uncensored.
Raw.
It’ll do more good then harm.
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 04:40 #364212

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
the.guard wrote on 24 Feb 2021 08:54:
Amazing story, very well written. However, I do find certain parts a bit triggering, for example this last chapter... Not sure it's healthy to leave us hanging in such a part, it leaves too much for the imagination... For the guys on GYE, it can trigger their own feelings of desire for these kinds of "adventures" if you know what I mean... Instead, I think we need to quickly jump to the part where he starts to see how messed up his life is and how pointless and meaningless it is to chase false pleasures!

(For anyone triggered, listen to this: gyeboost.org/archives/133)

He didn’t leave us hanging. 

Please can he put it back? I have a copy...

He flipped the whole triggering segment on its head when he ended it with

”The woman walked up to the car and gently tapped on the window. She could see the man huddled over his phone. She knew it was him. There were no other cars in the area. The man jumped and looked up. She gasped. The man's mouth opened wide in shock. They stared at each other in frozen silence. 

Who could've known? The man, snapping out of his reverie, rolled down the window. "Hey", said Moe. "It's you!" exclaimed the woman in disbelief! 

To be continued...”

Without this ending, it would be inappropriate, but they way he wrote it, I’d also put in my vote that you please ‘Grant’ it to him 
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 06:59 #364219

• i-man
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
I think removing the chapter defeats the purpose, now people will in fact have much more of an open gap to fill with their imagination, whereby the story is written in a controlled environment.
Catch -22..

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 12:00 #364222

Also maybe if you are someone particularly triggered by the stories then don't read them - not trying to be blunt btw j my opinion 
Think about how good you'll feel if you say no to desire and compare that to how bad you'll feel if you say yes.

Desire is unique in the way that it is never fulfilled -  if you give in the desire comes back even more powerful in just a few days. Telling yourself that its ok because this is really the last time doesn't work because you are just adding new images to your head that will cause future falls.

The Joy of triumph over the yetzer hara is worth the effort it takes to win. It IS worth it! Keep fighting!

My thread: 
Aiming to be better

Feel free to contact me at evedhashem1836@gmail.com

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 17:52 #364230

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
So it seems that the general consensus is that the pros outweigh the cons. Yet, at the same time I cannot and do not want to be responsible for even one person being triggered.

It seems that people want me to attempt to continue writing the story, albeit while trying to minimize fodder for imagination and to do away with suspense. That in essence is impossible. That's what writing is. It is feeding and teasing the imagination, painting stormy emotions and fiery reactions with words that cause the reader to create an image in his head, causing him to experience it together with the characters. 

Cutting out all such content will render the story virtually pointless and worthless. We all know how the story will end. The reason intense effort and immense time is being invested, is to take the reader through the intense desires, pain, dissatisfaction and disappointments that the main characters go through, in the hope that it will suffice as a tangible portrayal and prediction of one who doesn't gain control. Reading the twisted justifications and wrongful self righteousness, and where they can lead, will hopefully remove the need for one to heaven forbid experience these unfortunate circumstances himself, to gain the clarity reached only through personal experience and realization.

I'm at a loss. Especially where the story is heading, towards rock bottom - there will be triggering content according to these stringent (albeit probably correct) standards. That is the whole point, to be blunt about the temptations - just as we experience them on a daily basis. To illustrate how if not reigned in, even when they seem unconquerable, it can lead to places many times worse and to pain many times greater. 

Opinions?
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2021 17:55 by grant400.

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 17:54 #364231

• Ish MiGrodno
  • Current streak: 1321 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ask a Gadol? R' Elya Brudny?

ה׳ עמך גבור החיל! [שופטים ו׳ יב׳]

Perhaps you can find chizuk from my thread at guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/356161-Intro 

Feel free to reach out to me at
jackz90dys@gmail.com

Last Edit: 25 Feb 2021 17:55 by Ish MiGrodno.

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 18:30 #364243

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
I would say, that you should send each chapter to the guard before posting. So you can find together a way to do both. I personally didnt find it triggering until now, but I can see it getting triggering very fast, especially when you wanna describe rock bottom with feelings...
But please dont stop, you see it making a positive difference for so many people, it's worth the koach to find a fine line, for the merit of helping so much people understand the danger of this.
Thank you Grant!

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 18:37 #364245

• jewish jew
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are taking a vote, then I am defiantly on the side that says continue and don't skip out any of the details...
I'm really liking the turmoil of the story and the real-life-look on how us, with sex warped minds, think and rationalize all the silly things that we do. 
The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it’s connection

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 19:05 #364254

• anothershot
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 25 Feb 2021 17:52:
So it seems that the general consensus is that the pros outweigh the cons. Yet, at the same time I cannot and do not want to be responsible for even one person being triggered.

It seems that people want me to attempt to continue writing the story, albeit while trying to minimize fodder for imagination and to do away with suspense. That in essence is impossible. That's what writing is. It is feeding and teasing the imagination, painting stormy emotions and fiery reactions with words that cause the reader to create an image in his head, causing him to experience it together with the characters. 

Cutting out all such content will render the story virtually pointless and worthless. We all know how the story will end. The reason intense effort and immense time is being invested, is to take the reader through the intense desires, pain, dissatisfaction and disappointments that the main characters go through, in the hope that it will suffice as a tangible portrayal and prediction of one who doesn't gain control. Reading the twisted justifications and wrongful self righteousness, and where they can lead, will hopefully remove the need for one to heaven forbid experience these unfortunate circumstances himself, to gain the clarity reached only through personal experience and realization.

I'm at a loss. Especially where the story is heading, towards rock bottom - there will be triggering content according to these stringent (albeit probably correct) standards. That is the whole point, to be blunt about the temptations - just as we experience them on a daily basis. To illustrate how if not reigned in, even when they seem unconquerable, it can lead to places many times worse and to pain many times greater. 

Opinions?

Personally I found the last chapter slightly triggering but how does GYE exist and do all of the amazing things it does without any triggers??

I think the good outweighs the bad and you
should continue with the story.
You can put a warning on top that says it may be triggering and let each guy decide for himself.
My threads:
Giving it another shot

One step at a time

Daily (I hope) Excerpt from Sefer Zos Brisi

I am going to beat this monster one step at a time... One day at a time!

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 19:29 #364255

• concernedjew21
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Junior Boarder
Excuse me for being harsh here, but having this whole site exist, having the whole balei battims forum exist, with the plethora of triggering material there, but to suddenly neuter your story, which is resonating and striking a cord with so many and serving as a real warning as to where this ends, would be nothing short of a maaseh satan.

Rabbosai, ad kan divrei hayetzer harah! This conversation is borderline absurd when you take a step back and look at the site we're on and the forum that exist here.
Last Edit: 25 Feb 2021 19:36 by concernedjew21.

Re: The Story Teller 25 Feb 2021 22:52 #364266

• lodaas
  • Senior Boarder
maybe finish each chapter in a way that portrays everything thats wrong with moes messed up brain and actions, and how it impact his wifes feelings. I think it would remove every trigger especially with grants writing skills.

And he would not keep us in suspense that much

Re: The Story Teller 26 Feb 2021 12:39 #364282

• eyes
  • Current streak: 137 days
  • Platinum Boarder
As a staunch supporter of Grant400's story.
I would like to say the following.
I live with grant's stories. It plays in my mind and keeps me focused. 
The amount of tears and worry over this story has brought me to a higher place.
PLease keep it coming

Eyes

Re: The Story Teller 26 Feb 2021 23:05 #364293

• Ish MiGrodno
  • Current streak: 1321 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Eyes, I could not have put it better.

I constantly live with Esther's torturous predicament in the back of my mind.

I am now 98 days old cuz I promised myself that my wife will never again be an Esther.

And to the oilam just beginning - today is a day of miracles (I just happened to get the miracle a bit early this year)...

​A Frielichen Purim!

Resolved and Stubborn in Grodno ~ IMG

ה׳ עמך גבור החיל! [שופטים ו׳ יב׳]

Perhaps you can find chizuk from my thread at guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/356161-Intro 

Feel free to reach out to me at
jackz90dys@gmail.com

Time to create page: 0.69 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes