Welcome, Guest
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Fifty years 31334 Views

Fifty years 06 Jun 2018 16:52 #331810

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
Last week I gathered up the large collection of "schmutz" that I began accumulating about fifty years ago, and bundled it into trash bags for disposal. I also deleted the schmutz on my computer.

As a Baal Teshuvah, this may be the last and hardest step I've taken toward full observance of the mitzvos.

My motivation was I'm facing a life crisis that I don't think I can overcome on my own. By becoming "clean", maybe Hashem will have pity on me and give me peace.
I shall not die! But I shall live and relate the deeds of G-d.
[Psalms 118:17]

Re: Fifty years 06 Jun 2018 18:48 #331812

• byebye
  • Senior Boarder
May Hashem ,The Creator Of The World,bentch me with your strength to do whats right, and send you a yeshuah quickly  and fulfill your hopes in Him!

Re: Fifty years 06 Jun 2018 20:34 #331818

• Shivisi_Hashem
  • Current streak: 158 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Dovid824 wrote on 06 Jun 2018 16:52:
Last week I gathered up the large collection of "schmutz" that I began accumulating about fifty years ago, and bundled it into trash bags for disposal. I also deleted the schmutz on my computer.

As a Baal Teshuvah, this may be the last and hardest step I've taken toward full observance of the mitzvos.

My motivation was I'm facing a life crisis that I don't think I can overcome on my own. By becoming "clean", maybe Hashem will have pity on me and give me peace.

you should have it the easy way, hashem does only good, there is no such a ting "bad" by Hashem, and whatever it looks bad, its just for our eyes, and in reality its only good, so hashem should help you you should see only good, and you should have a safe and clean way....
My email:jacdoja@gmail.com
My threads: my long נסיעה of almost 30 years ~ My Book of Business ~ My Upcoming Dilemma

להטות לבבנו אליו ללכת בכל דרכיו ולשמר מצותיו וחקיו ומשפטיו אשר צוה את אבתינו
כי עיקר מציאות האדם בעה"ז הוא רק לקיים מצות ולעמד בניסיון,  והנאות העולם אין ראוי שיהו לו אלא לעזר ולסיוע בלבד לשיהיה לו נחת רוח ויישוב הדעת למען יוכל לפנות לבו אל העבודה הזאת מסילת ישרים

Re: Fifty years 06 Jun 2018 20:34 #331819

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Dovid824 wrote on 06 Jun 2018 16:52:

About fifty years you say?
I can't even fathom how difficult that was.
Throwing out the "schmutz" must have been complicated by a plethora of sentimental emotions. You are a giborto have done that. I envy your strength.
Bless you my friend.
May Hashem truly have pity on you and bring you the peace you so yearn for.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 03:30 #331967

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the supporting replies.

I've remained "clean" for ten days. B'ezras Hashem, I will remain clean for the remainder of my life.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 05:04 #331977

• WannabeFree
  • Current streak: 238 days
  • Expert Boarder
May Hashem give you the strength. However תפסת מרובה, לא תפסת - one day at a time (ODAAT), that is the motto here. If you try for too much at once it doesn't work. 

השלך על השם יהבך והוא יכלכלך
wannabefree613@gmail.com

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 05:36 #331979

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
WannabeFree wrote on 11 Jun 2018 05:04:
May Hashem give you the strength. However תפסת מרובה, לא תפסת - one day at a time (ODAAT), that is the motto here. If you try for too much at once it doesn't work. 

Actually, my personal experience as a BT has been that making a long-term commitment to Hashem does work (for me). As I've taken on one mitzvah after another, I usually try it for a while. Then if I've been successful, I make a longer commitment.

That's worked for kashrus, Shabbos, tefillin, daily prayer and Torah/Talmud study. I have emunah that it will work for the issue of this topic as well.
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018 05:56 by dovid824.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 07:15 #331985

• WannabeFree
  • Expert Boarder
That is amazing! Only taking on new mitzvos is not the same as getting rid of an addiction, so be aware that if you are addicted (and after 50 years of it the chances are high) it may not be so easy. May you succeed either way! 

wannabefree613@gmail.com

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 08:16 #331987

• mzl
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Good for you. And may Hashem give you peace regardless.

I think if you threw out a fifty year collection then in some sense He already did.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 08:17 #331988

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
WannabeFree, no offense, but you seem to insist on giving me unsolicited advice. I didn't post this topic to ask for advice, but only as a example of "What Works for Me".

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 09:25 #331990

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Dovid824 wrote on 11 Jun 2018 08:17:
WannabeFree, no offense, but you seem to insist on giving me unsolicited advice. I didn't post this topic to ask for advice, but only as a example of "What Works for Me".

WBF is a sweet guy. Maybe get on the phone with him if you need aniy clarification

Perhaps he could've worded it a little more of his own personal experience, but to me he sounded more like sharing "what works for him" in your situation, and less advice.

The forum is designed for such conversation, even if not everyone has the same gift of the gab.

Please "Live and Let Live", and keep us posted how your "Life" is progressing

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 19:31 #332034

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
Ok, Markz and byebye.

WannabeFree, I apologize for my arrogance. But I still think you're wrong.
Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018 19:33 by dovid824.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 20:22 #332036

• WannabeFree
  • Expert Boarder
No offence taken and apology accepted. Also I apologize for being so pushy. Truce?
If you are able to quit cold turkey, I envy your abilities, I certainly have not been able to.

wannabefree613@gmail.com

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 20:51 #332040

• dovid824
  • Expert Boarder
WannabeFree wrote on 11 Jun 2018 20:22:
No offence taken and apology accepted. Also I apologize for being so pushy. Truce?
If you are able to quit cold turkey, I envy your abilities, I certainly have not been able to.

"Cold turkey" may not be accurate. I registered on this site over four years ago and made no progress whatsoever until about ten days ago.

And the motivating factor was (and is) a life crisis that I'd prefer not to elaborate on. Perhaps it's Hashem's way of getting my attention.

Re: Fifty years 11 Jun 2018 20:52 #332041

• mzl
  • Current streak: 28 days
  • Platinum Boarder
There's an old quote by Mark Twain: quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a hundred times ...
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes