Welcome, Guest

Starting my own path
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Starting my own path 630 Views

Re: Starting my own path 18 Jun 2024 15:03 #415342

• ShtettlMan
  • Current streak: 49 days
  • Senior Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 18 Jun 2024 14:51:

ShtettlMan wrote on 18 Jun 2024 14:13:
Ended up with a fall : p&m
I dont know how to react, what can I do to improve and to start it all again. If anyone can Help me...
Should I go again for the 90 clean days ? Or start with a lower goal? If I take a lower goal, what happens after I hit it, I can't say to myself like "after x days you'll do it", it doesnt make sense 
And how do I restart the streak days?

Yo great questions. Don't beat yourself up about the fall - consider it like a kid stumbling while learning how to walk. 

What are you currently doing besides white knuckling? I apologize if you've already addressed this. But are you doing the F2F program videos and exercises? I'd also suggest joining the daily battle of the generation read which just restarted the book.
Make a plan. A realistic plan, which you can stick and addresses your issues. A plan with fences in the right places - before the slippery slope starts sliding. And stick to it. 

I saw you wrote you have easy access to unfiltered devices. Filtering up to the greatest extent possible is a crucial beginning step of any plan. So, while you'll never be able to filter the entire world, making a real commitment to filtering your personal devices and not using those other devices is an important step to getting clean. (If you can get them filtered, all the better. But if you can't, then make a real commitment to not using them.)

One of the most powerful tools on GYE is the chevra. Talking to real people is really powerful. It took me a very long time to work up to doing that, and it was truly difficult to make those first calls. But when you're ready, picking up the phone and (anonymously) calling someone is a really helpful step. There's a holy jew on here called HHM. Call him.

Stick around. Learn. Never give up. 

I dont think Im ready to talk about these issues, typing them is already an achievement for me....
Maybe later bezH. 
Imma try to filter any access I have to the triggering stuff that made this urge start in me (the one I coulldn't hold lasted a really long time like hours). For others' devices, I decided not to use them bn (btw is a good thing to say bli neder, or is it a פתח that I leave for the YH?)
Thank for your help, I won't stay with that fall!!

Re: Starting my own path 18 Jun 2024 15:20 #415345

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
ShtettlMan wrote on 18 Jun 2024 15:03:

chosemyshem wrote on 18 Jun 2024 14:51:

I dont think Im ready to talk about these issues, typing them is already an achievement for me....
Maybe later bezH. 
Imma try to filter any access I have to the triggering stuff that made this urge start in me (the one I coulldn't hold lasted a really long time like hours). For others' devices, I decided not to use them bn (btw is a good thing to say bli neder, or is it a פתח that I leave for the YH?)
Thank for your help, I won't stay with that fall!!

Whenever you're ready. Like I said, it took me a very long time to work up to calling anyone. But HHM is a very safe person to talk to. He's heard it all. And I mean all. I actually didn't bother hiding my number in any way when I called him. I figured if his contact list gets out, waaay more important people than me are going to be "discovered" so why bother. lol.

re: commitment. Please do not make an oath of any sort that you might not keep. Say bli neder by all means. A commitment doesn't have to be a shvua for it to be a commitment. Just commit. If you feel like you would benefit from the enforcement of a shvua, there's a type of shvua to pay a penalty that many have found helpful. You can read about it here.

Re: Starting my own path 18 Jun 2024 16:49 #415352

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for the link! It was very interesting 
I would like to try the TaPHSIC Method, with the Knas before and after p&m (which I hope bezH won't happen again).
Has anyone here already tried it and can give me some advice?
Thank you
ShtettlMan.

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 15:46 #415449

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
I tried the TAPHSIC method, it could be a very good way not to use the unfiltered devices. BezH hope it will work !
I can wright here what I said in the shvuah if anyone wants or maybe can check what I said. I took only 1 week to start and see the effects.
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2024 15:48 by ShtettlMan.

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 16:21 #415453

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah def share it! A week is a great start.

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 17:03 #415458

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 19 Jun 2024 16:21:

Ani Nishba, beshaim Ad ---- (in the name of G-d) until 06/26/2024 4 p.m.
If I have a fall, which is defined by one of the following:
Either
(a) I motzi zera levatala (masturbate) intentionally while fully awake ,
either
(b) I intentionally obtain in any way adult sexual material of any kind, digital or printed (including magazines, DVDs, etc.)
Or
(c) I intentionally visit websites or webpages, images, videos, chat rooms or forums, for the purpose of viewing adult sexual content (including any type of images, drawings, videos , audio or erotic readings intended for adults), I include lingerie sites for women, and I have actually seen or listened to inappropriate content
Or
(d) if I contact - or respond positively to for a sexual purpose (including via email, chat, webcams, etc.)
Or
(e) if I participate in illicit services of a sexual nature of any nature (including calls to adult hotlines, massages)
Then, if I took a 20-minute walk while listening to a Torah shiur (not necessarily during the 20 minutes, but necessarily > 8 minutes.)
Or/ I spoke with people who know me, by phone or in person, for at least 10 minutes
Or/ I stored the sefarim in the beis-medrash/shul for 15 minutes.
OR:  I said Tehillim for half an hour.
OR: I go to Beth Hamidrach for 20 minutes
OR:  I learned Gemara for 20 minutes.
OR: I take a cold shower

in the 90 minutes before my fall, then
within the next 36 hours (or within another period), I will l donate 20 $ to Tzedaka
2. I'm going to take a cold shower with no hot water at all.
6. I will fast from dawn until nightfall (within the next 3 days).
for each day (or 3 hour period) I fall into.
If I didn't do any (or all) of these things in the 90 minutes before my fall, then
in the next 36 hours (or any other time frame), I will 1. I will donate 500 $ to Tzedaka.
3. I will fast from dawn until nightfall for two consecutive days (over the next 7 days).

I chose in the propositions that were on the article

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 17:17 #415462

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Looks gevaldig. Is the knas all the things or just one of the options?
And just make sure the second knas is within your abilities. Like if you don't have $500 then it's a bad knas. Do you think you're able to fast two consecutive days? But that's just some fine tuning.
Hope you find this helpful.

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 17:28 #415467

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
I thoought to do all the knases but maybe it is too big, I'll see how it works and change the things that are not ok. 
Thank you!
Actually 500$ are a lot for me but I thought it would force myself to do the stuff when an urge comes. 
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2024 17:30 by ShtettlMan.

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 17:37 #415468

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
ShtettlMan wrote on 19 Jun 2024 17:28:
I thoought to do all the knases but maybe it is too big, I'll see how it works and change the things that are not ok. 
Thank you!
Actually 500$ are a lot for me but I thought it would force myself to do the stuff when an urge comes. 

Yeah. There's a sweet spot between motivating bc it's hard, and impossible. If it's impossible to fulfill the knas it's counterproductive. 

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 19:55 #415490

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
You're right, the YH tries to get me even like that. Thanks!

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 21:37 #415499

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
ShtettlMan wrote on 19 Jun 2024 17:03:

chosemyshem wrote on 19 Jun 2024 16:21:

Ani Nishba, beshaim Ad ---- (in the name of G-d) until 06/26/2024 4 p.m.
If I have a fall, which is defined by one of the following:
Either
(a) I motzi zera levatala (masturbate) intentionally while fully awake ,
either
(b) I intentionally obtain in any way adult sexual material of any kind, digital or printed (including magazines, DVDs, etc.)
Or
(c) I intentionally visit websites or webpages, images, videos, chat rooms or forums, for the purpose of viewing adult sexual content (including any type of images, drawings, videos , audio or erotic readings intended for adults), I include lingerie sites for women, and I have actually seen or listened to inappropriate content
Or
(d) if I contact - or respond positively to for a sexual purpose (including via email, chat, webcams, etc.)
Or
(e) if I participate in illicit services of a sexual nature of any nature (including calls to adult hotlines, massages)
Then, if I took a 20-minute walk while listening to a Torah shiur (not necessarily during the 20 minutes, but necessarily > 8 minutes.)
Or/ I spoke with people who know me, by phone or in person, for at least 10 minutes
Or/ I stored the sefarim in the beis-medrash/shul for 15 minutes.
OR:  I said Tehillim for half an hour.
OR: I go to Beth Hamidrach for 20 minutes
OR:  I learned Gemara for 20 minutes.
OR: I take a cold shower

in the 90 minutes before my fall, then
within the next 36 hours (or within another period), I will l donate 20 $ to Tzedaka
2. I'm going to take a cold shower with no hot water at all.
6. I will fast from dawn until nightfall (within the next 3 days).
for each day (or 3 hour period) I fall into.
If I didn't do any (or all) of these things in the 90 minutes before my fall, then
in the next 36 hours (or any other time frame), I will 1. I will donate 500 $ to Tzedaka.
3. I will fast from dawn until nightfall for two consecutive days (over the next 7 days).

I chose in the propositions that were on the article

1. Mutar Lach

12 steps and it’s done 
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Starting my own path 19 Jun 2024 23:28 #415504

Wow! It's really great that your making such a major effort to overcome your struggle. I hope it works for you

Just wondering aloud though... I know there's an official GYE Taphsic method. But making a real shvua seems like playing with something pretty scary. Like what happens if you by mistake are oiver on it without realising, like if one of the terminologies isn't so clear i.e. who says that what you call a torah shiur is hashems definition of a torah shiur, not putting any speakers down  but what if say the guy is just shmoozing for 10 mins first does that count as torah?

Re: Starting my own path 20 Jun 2024 08:12 #415522

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
neshomo kedosha wrote on 19 Jun 2024 23:28:
Wow! It's really great that your making such a major effort to overcome your struggle. I hope it works for you

Just wondering aloud though... I know there's an official GYE Taphsic method. But making a real shvua seems like playing with something pretty scary. Like what happens if you by mistake are oiver on it without realising, like if one of the terminologies isn't so clear i.e. who says that what you call a torah shiur is hashems definition of a torah shiur, not putting any speakers down  but what if say the guy is just shmoozing for 10 mins first does that count as torah?

Actually I heard the chiur and the Rabbi said there thaht it was a Tzivouy of the Torah. I thought about what I thought I coul do and couldnt for about 24 hours, and then nishbati. As they explain in the article there is a bunch of things to say after the shvua so that I'll can change the terms by the end of the firtst week.

Btw I hope that לשון בגי אדם is the thing that is קובע what a shiur Torah is...

Re: Starting my own path 20 Jun 2024 08:14 #415523

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
Also, if anyone has an idea if I have to remake a shvua by the end of this week (as it's supposed to last a month if I don't change any term), or it's enough to change the knassim without swearing.

Re: Starting my own path 20 Jun 2024 11:46 #415528

• ShtettlMan
  • Senior Boarder
Day 2 of the new count, bH feel great and motivated for the new count. I gave myself on aim of 30 days. 
Time to create page: 0.75 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes