Welcome, Guest

Work in progress
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Work in progress 15658 Views

Re: Work in progress 01 Jun 2022 19:05 #381427

• vehkam
  • Current streak: 981 days
  • Platinum Boarder

Yom HaMeyuchas

I don’t remember hearing that term before.  Over the years it is likely that I did hear that the 2nd day of sivan is called yom hameyuchas but it just didn’t mean anything to me. So I don’t remember.

Today, I received a few messages referencing yom hameyuchas and I did not know what it was about.  Then, during lunch, I came across a post that explains – today is the day that Moshe Rabeinu relayed the message to klal Yisroel from hashem.

וִֽהְיִ֨יתֶם לִ֤י סְגֻלָּה֙ מִכָּל־הָ֣עַמִּ֔ים כִּי־לִ֖י כָּל־הָאָֽרֶץ ... ואַתֶּ֧ם תִּֽהְיוּ־לִ֛י מַמְלֶ֥כֶת כֹּֽהֲנִ֖ים וְג֣וֹי קָד֑וֹשׁ

My heart filled with emotions of gratitude and joy that I am able to finally feel that I too am a part of this גוֹי קָדוֹש  To feel that hashem is lifting me up. That is taking me out of my personal mitzrayim… To feel that ahava that he has for us, his chosen nation… to be part of a group of mevakshim that will keep getting up no matter what and no matter how many times we fall!  A group that is anonymous but is comprised of Chassidim & Ex Hasidim, Litvaks, Sefardim, Ashkenazim, BTs, FFB, young bochurim and seasoned adults…. All working K’ish echad b’lev echad to better ourselves and each other in Kedusha.  And I say ashreinu ma tov chelkeinu….

We are truly hashem’s treasure.

When I said birchas hamazon after lunch, I noticed the third HaRachaman – and this is my bracha to all of us, that hashem should always be glorified and honored through us -

הָרַחֲמָן הוּא יִשְׁתַּבַּח לְדוֹר דּוֹרִים, וְיִתְפָּאַר בָּנוּ לָעַד וּלְנֵצַח נְצָחִים, וְיִתְהַדַּר בָּנוּ לָעַד וּלְעוֹלְמֵי עוֹלָמִים.

vehkam7@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/375452-Work-in-progress

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.
Last Edit: 01 Jun 2022 19:08 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 03 Jun 2022 02:52 #381490

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
I finished the last chapter of The Battle of the Generation last night.  I will spend the next few nights reading the addendum and start the book again on motzai yomtov. I try to read one chapter every night.  I encourage  you to join me. Especially if you have never read the book before you may find it to be a game changer in your perspective.
vehkam7@gmail.com

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.
Last Edit: 03 Jun 2022 02:52 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 07 Jun 2022 16:32 #381569

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
My celebration bbq worked out great bh. Over 50 people who thought it was all about my birthday.  There was one close friend that knew I was celebrating six months clean. it still feels good to have 50 people sing happy birthday to you!

My suitcase got delayed by the airline erev Shabbos  and I was feeling more than a bit overwhelmed- heading into a three day yomtov .  Then just when I needed it most I got a text from DaveM wishing me a good yomtov. It could not have come at a better time - just when I was about to enter macys to buy clothing for yomtov!   Thank you so much.

bh I was able to get what I needed to manage and my suitcase was actually delivered to my hotel on Shabbos….

I did lose one night of reading the battle of the generation becuse the book was in my suitcase! I think that might be the first or possibly the second night I did not read it since I purchased it. I did finish the addendum last night (The addendum for chapter 10 is absolutely amazing for anyone dealing with guilt issues ) and plan to start my third round of reading it tonight. 

I have some other writing that I will post iyh later.
vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 07 Jun 2022 18:27 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 07 Jun 2022 21:09 #381593

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is the writing I worked on last week.  This is an abbreviated but completely true version of my story. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to share it here.

I started my journey full of energy and light

Excited by Mitzvos learning day and night

I thought I was immune had not much to fear

Just keep to the Torah he won’t get very near

But the yetzer hara had other plans

He knew I had desires just like every man

The pictures I looked at, the things I read and saw

And then there was no stopping I wanted more and more

In middle of Seder in middle of sleep

Into my mind those images would creep

Pleasure won’t change you,  you’ll still be the same

But when I succumbed I only felt shame.

Of course when I’m married these thoughts will all cease

I’ll have pas b’saalo I’ll handle it with ease

But what kind of house, what foundation was built

When constantly falling, all I felt was guilt

My dreams were abandoned goals put to rest

To the outside successful, inside was a mess

Slowly the failures took over inside me

at myself, when I look, I don’t know who I see

no longer learned much didn’t hang out with yidden

Spent money and time on things surely forbidden

I hid my tracks well don’t be caught was my rule

Only me and hashem could never be fooled

And then the Daf Yomi at MetLife so proud

Next time I will finish with the rest of the crowd

And for  brachos Daf beis at a shiur I was sighted

And from deep within me a small flame ignited

Day after day I would finish the blatt

straddled both worlds - both of them - a lot

But inside my neshama was now awake

I couldnt ignore it could no longer be fake

The struggle continued another whole year

Chasing life’s pleasures yet a heart so sincere

A moment of clarity, it all made no sense

Please hashem help me unstraddle this fence

So I made an account on the guard your eyes site

Resolved to try hard to put up a fight

While I hoped to succeed, was the right time and place

I fully expected to fall flat on my face

I posted my story my hopes and my fears

The hole that i’d dug my pain and my tears

The responses were helpful was no longer alone

It took some more weeks but I picked up the phone

I spoke to a mentor he understood

I started to believe if I wanted I could

Put all this behind me in a way that would mean

I could live out my life with a slate that was clean

Then hashem helped me, Hillel S wrote a book

The battle of the generation changed how I look

At my relationship with hashem who loves more than A father

And was waiting all these years while I just didn’t bother

From the time I realized that hashem wanted me back

All that bad stuff I was doing just stopped in it’s track

The desire to please him and reach levels much higher

Has helped to extinguish any harmful desire

Now I know that this feeling is a gift from above

And I must work to continue to serve hashem with love

For so many years that needed correction

I can’t be complacent, I need that connection

my father in heaven can I express even a fraction

For allowing me back in spite of my actions

I took one step towards you in the hopes to repair

And you showed me a world that you always were here.

My dreams once abandoned are now back in place

I want only one thing, to live in your grace

Excited by mitzvos learning day and night

I continue my journey full of energy and light.

Vehkam7@gmail.com

vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 07 Jun 2022 23:16 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 09 Jun 2022 04:25 #381685

Vehkam wrote on 07 Jun 2022 21:09:
Here is the writing I worked on last week.  This is an abbreviated but completely true version of my story. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to share it here.

I started my journey full of energy and light

Excited by Mitzvos learning day and night

I thought I was immune had not much to fear

Just keep to the Torah he won’t get very near

But the yetzer hara had other plans

He knew I had desires just like every man

The pictures I looked at, the things I read and saw

And then there was no stopping I wanted more and more

In middle of Seder in middle of sleep

Into my mind those images would creep

Pleasure won’t change you,  you’ll still be the same

But when I succumbed I only felt shame.

Of course when I’m married these thoughts will all cease

I’ll have pas b’saalo I’ll handle it with ease

But what kind of house, what foundation was built

When constantly falling, all I felt was guilt

My dreams were abandoned goals put to rest

To the outside successful, inside was a mess

Slowly the failures took over inside me

at myself, when I look, I don’t know who I see

no longer learned much didn’t hang out with yidden

Spent money and time on things surely forbidden

I hid my tracks well don’t be caught was my rule

Only me and hashem could never be fooled

And then the Daf Yomi at MetLife so proud

Next time I will finish with the rest of the crowd

And for  brachos Daf beis at a shiur I was sighted

And from deep within me a small flame ignited

Day after day I would finish the blatt

straddled both worlds - both of them - a lot

But inside my neshama was now awake

I couldnt ignore it could no longer be fake

The struggle continued another whole year

Chasing life’s pleasures yet a heart so sincere

A moment of clarity, it all made no sense

Please hashem help me unstraddle this fence

So I made an account on the guard your eyes site

Resolved to try hard to put up a fight

While I hoped to succeed, was the right time and place

I fully expected to fall flat on my face

I posted my story my hopes and my fears

The hole that i’d dug my pain and my tears

The responses were helpful was no longer alone

It took some more weeks but I picked up the phone

I spoke to a mentor he understood

I started to believe if I wanted I could

Put all this behind me in a way that would mean

I could live out my life with a slate that was clean

Then hashem helped me, Hillel S wrote a book

The battle of the generation changed how I look

At my relationship with hashem who loves more than A father

And was waiting all these years while I just didn’t bother

From the time I realized that hashem wanted me back

All that bad stuff I was doing just stopped in it’s track

The desire to please him and reach levels much higher

Has helped to extinguish any harmful desire

Now I know that this feeling is a gift from above

And I must work to continue to serve hashem with love

For so many years that needed correction

I can’t be complacent, I need that connection

my father in heaven can I express even a fraction

For allowing me back in spite of my actions

I took one step towards you in the hopes to repair

And you showed me a world that you always were here.

My dreams once abandoned are now back in place

I want only one thing, to live in your grace

Excited by mitzvos learning day and night

I continue my journey full of energy and light.

Vehkam7@gmail.com

Wow incredible. 
“Distancing and removing triggers is only bringing the door closer..Changing the insides and our nature is the key to get in.” 

“Human connection can help every sort of struggle” 

If anyone would like to reach me I’d love to help out! 
anonymouslyhappy111@gmail.com

Break free the easy way using the self-talk method!
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain--Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Check out this thread with packed Insight for every person at every stage! 
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/376994-%E2%80%9CShtark%E2%80%9D-insight-that-may-make-you-%E2%80%9Cemotional%E2%80%9D-%29

Re: Work in progress 09 Jun 2022 09:44 #381691

• taherlibeinu
  • Current streak: 29 days
  • Expert Boarder
What a great post -  thank you for sharing this

Re: Work in progress 19 Jun 2022 20:24 #382132

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder

What would I say if I had the opportunity to speak at the kinus for women being advertised this week…

I cannot speak for a womens perspective but as a husband/son/father here are some of my thoughts.

Your sons are growing up in a world with unprecedented challenges. Most of your children will be exposed to things that used to be beyond comprehension. That is even if you are successful in keeping your house pure.  Please know that your children especially your sons will be challenged.  There are things you can do to help them get through these challenges.

1. love them unconditionally. No matter what.  Especially when they are struggling they need to know that you still love them.
  2. Believe in them.  When a child feels that you believe in them, that empowers them to stand up to challenges.  Always praise their strengths.
  3. Never judge.  It’s easy to draw lines that should not be crossed. Don’t judge even if those lines are crossed.  You have no way of knowing the nisayon of the next person- even your children.  The best advice is not to judge anyone and to leave that for hashem.
  4. Talk to them. Keep the lines of communication open. If they trust you and are used to communicating with you, you will have many more opportunities to help them if they are overwhelmed by challenges.
  5. Simcha - happiness in the home is key.  Do whatever it takes to make your home a happy place. Focus on all the positive aspects. The Simcha of Shabbos and yomtov (not the stress of cleaning up etc…)
  6. There is a natural curiosity to look at things that should No be looked at.  This is true for your daughters as well. Even the really “good” ones.  Don’t make it easy for them to satisfy that curiosity.  Filter and password protect everything.
  7. No filter is going to stop someone who does not want to be stopped.  The main focus must be on the internal person.  To help them build the connections and the desire to be connected to hashem.
  8. The desire to be close to hashem needs to be stronger then the desire of the temptations around them. Otherwise eventually the willpower to resist can easily fall away.  Try to bring an awareness to that connection which is unique for each individual person.
  9. Your children must know that hashem loves them no matter what.  So many years have been lost by people that fell and didn’t bother getting up because they did not believe that hashem still wanted them.  (It’s not all or nothing)
  10. Teach your children to recognize the positive that they do. The yetzer hara will tell them that they are a rasha for a few big aveiros when in reality they are holding back from aveira much more then they are giving in.  We can reinforce this concept and protect them from falling for that trap of the yetzer hara.
  11. We are not perfect. Hashem created us and created our challenges. Good people fall.  Sincere people fall. Talmidei chachamim fall.  Don’t think that once someone falls that they are “damaged goods”. If someone falls you can still believe in them.  Believe in them and you will help them to believe in themselves.
  12. These challenges are opportunities for growth. With the proper perspective you can help someone ordinary become extraordinary in their relationship with hashem.
  13. Share these concepts with the people around you.  Discuss them. Make them part of the fabric of your house.

I believe that with this atmosphere we will be able to raise a generation of ovdei hashem who will rise from the decadence around them to levels of yira and ahavas hashem that are unfathomable.  

What would you add to this list?

vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 19 Jun 2022 21:29 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 19 Jun 2022 20:35 #382134

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam wrote on 19 Jun 2022 20:24:

What would I say if I had the opportunity to speak at the kinus for women

I cannot speak for a womens perspective but as a husband/son/father here are some of my thoughts.

Your sons are growing up in a world with unprecedented challenges. Most of your children will be exposed to things that used to be beyond comprehension. That is even if you are successful in keeping your house pure.  Please know that your children especially your sons will be challenged.  There are things you can do to help them get through these challenges.

1. love them unconditionally. No matter what.  Especially when they are struggling they need to know that you still love them.
  2. Believe in them.  When a child feels that you believe in them, that empowers them to stand up to challenges.  Always praise their strengths.
  3. Never judge.  It’s easy to draw lines that should not be crossed. Don’t judge even if those lines are crossed.  You have no way of knowing the nisayon of the next person- even your children.  The best advice is not to judge anyone and to leave that for hashem.
  4. Talk to them. Keep the lines of communication open. If they trust you and are used to communicating with you, you will have many more opportunities to help them if they are overwhelmed by challenges.
  5. Simcha - happiness in the home is key.  Do whatever it takes to make your home a happy place. Focus on all the positive aspects. The Simcha of Shabbos and yomtov (not the stress of cleaning up etc…)
  6. There is a natural curiosity to look at things that should No be looked at.  This is true for your daughters as well. Even the really “good” ones.  Don’t make it easy for them to satisfy that curiosity.  Filter and password protect everything.
  7. No filter is going to stop someone who does not want to be stopped.  The main focus must be on the internal person.  To help them build the connections and the desire to be connected to hashem.
  8. The desire to be close to hashem needs to be stronger then the desire of the temptations around them. Otherwise eventually the willpower to resist can easily fall away.  Try to bring an awareness to that connection which is unique for each individual person.
  9. Your children must know that hashem loves them no matter what.  So many years have been lost by people that fell and didn’t bother getting up because they did not believe that hashem still wanted them.  (It’s not all or nothing)
  10. Teach your children to recognize the positive that they do. The yetzer hara will tell them that they are a rasha for a few big aveiros when in reality they are holding back from aveira much more then they are giving in.  We can reinforce this concept and protect them from falling for that trap of the yetzer hara.
  11. We are not perfect. Hashem created us and created our challenges. Good people fall.  Sincere people fall. Talmidei chachamim fall.  Don’t think that once someone falls that they are “damaged goods”. If someone falls you can still believe in them.  Believe in them and you will help them to believe in themselves.
  12. These challenges are opportunities for growth. With the proper perspective you can help someone ordinary become extraordinary in their relationship with hashem.
  13. Share these concepts with the people around you.  Discuss them. Make them part of the fabric of your house.

I believe that with this atmosphere we will be able to raise a generation of ovdei hashem who will rise from the decadence around them to levels of yira and ahavas hashem that are unfathomable.  

This is a truly amazing post. Adding would just take away.
I printed it out to review it, thank you!
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 19 Jun 2022 20:44 #382135

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder

What would I say if I had the opportunity to speak at the kinus for women

You’re hired!
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Work in progress 19 Jun 2022 20:53 #382136

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you all for your kind words. I really believe that the more people spread these messages the easier it will be for all of us. I did not think of these ideas on my own. These are the things I have been internalizing from all the chizuk that is now available to us. It would be amazing if 40k people could hear it too…
vehkam7@gmail.com

Re: Work in progress 20 Jun 2022 00:38 #382144

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder

What would I say if I had the opportunity to speak at the kinus for women being advertised this week…

Beautiful! Incredible post.
I would add:
14. The greater the challenge, the greater the accomplishment and the greater the person. 
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Re: Work in progress 20 Jun 2022 10:39 #382162

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
If anyone has a connection to the administration of TAG - Please forward this post to the organizers of the event.  There have been many technology events. Rarely are many of these points brought up. If parents could be better informed about how to keep the lines of communication open, and in general how to view this issue - very responsibly but without panic, so many things would look different. I would add one more item - that parents/schools preempt their child's "discovering" the shmutz, and give them a child friendly understanding of sexuality - obviously under the proper guidance.

Some time back i was at a local technology event and i asked the organizer to include a few of the items that Vehkam so clearly pointed out. I was told that the purpose of the event was to educate the public that is unfortunately still naïve, of the dangers of the Internet. I wish people would understand that if Vehkam's message would be properly disseminated and reviewed again and again, we will to a great extent be inoculating our children against this "disease".
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Work in progress 20 Jun 2022 13:27 #382167

• dave m
  • Current streak: 363 days
  • Platinum Boarder

I just printed this out, to review over and over again 

Re: Work in progress 21 Jun 2022 22:50 #382236

• vehkam
  • Platinum Boarder

A lot of my posts focus on the connection that I ,(with hashems infinite kindness,) have been fortunate to re-establish with hashem. There is a level of inner peace and simcha that I have not previously ever had in my adult life. This is not at all diminished by what I am about to write

One could read my story and believe that with hard work and determination anyone can return… even after decades of being submerged in a secret life filled with pursuit of forbidden pleasures.

The truth is that it there are consequences.

Yes, Once the determination was there, it was not so hard to stop what I was doing.  Especially with all the tools available today.

Yes, I pray that I will iyh use my challenges as a catalyst to propel me to great heights.

But I have to tell you that receiving a clean parchment on which to write the story of my soul is going to be a lot more difficult.

Living unsheltered in a perverted world means that your mind becomes perverted too.  You tend to see and notice perversion and you are drawn to it.

The location of every unhealthy place that I chanced upon is stored in the recesses of my brain.  I stored them there so that they would be easy to return to.  In every city that I traveled, I know where to find forbidden stuff.  I could give you directions in my sleep.  I have a good memory.  There are phone numbers too.  So much information just stored away.  And of course the actual forbidden things that I did and saw.  And I did it for a long time

I Don’t have a desire to return to any of the places or memories. My time is now b”h being used in a healthy and meaningful way.   Yet the information is still there.  Wasting precious space in my mind and a regular reminder of the decades of time and effort that I can never get back. There are so many triggers I encounter wherever I go that awaken these memories.  Not the desire b’h.  Just the memories.  And I can’t unremember them!!

Do I daven to hashem that I forget? As I advance through middle age it is hard to daven for that.  Memory is something we don’t want to lose chas v’shalom.  So I don’t daven to forget.

Perhaps with time, those memories will dull.  Perhaps I will be able to attain a level of purity that will filter my mind from the perversions of the past.

Until then, I must live with the consequences of my past choices and daven that the pain of these memories be included in the yissurim tovim and add to the zchusim that I so surely need.

This is my current challenge and i accept it wholeheartedly. I am not dejected by this.  I know that if i do my part, hashem will continue to carry me.

vehkam7@gmail.com

Last Edit: 22 Jun 2022 02:40 by vehkam.

Re: Work in progress 22 Jun 2022 13:05 #382257

• dave m
  • Current streak: 363 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Vehkam,

​Thank you for such a beautiful honest post.  It is a tremendous source of inspiration to read about the struggles of one who has B'H made so much progress in the last 6 months, but at the same times acknowledges his struggles in a positive light.  Knowing that this is our challenge and what Hashem wants us to work on in order to help achieve that closeness with him, makes the battles easier to deal with.

Sometimes when we read the thread of someone who has broken free from his lusting and is currently in the middle of a long clean streak can be discouraging.  "Hey, that person seemed to have broken free pretty easily.  Why not me?"  But when someone is so open about the ups and downs, I get tremendous chizuk from that.  Please continue these types of posts 
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2022 13:07 by dave m.
Time to create page: 1.57 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes