Welcome, Guest

On the shoulders of those before me
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: On the shoulders of those before me 49481 Views

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 09:08 #299786

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
LifneiHashem wrote on 13 Dec 2016 03:27:
Female hyenas have an appendage similar to the male member making childbirth quite difficult. Both sexes do a dance with erections to greet each other.
I rest my case. Stick with spiders. 

No wonder they're always so edgy.

Wow. Triple figures. Massive Mazeltov! May we all be Zoche.
Re your Youtube battles: a site called 613tube.com helps a little bit....

Those are my youtube settings, and without them I would be quite nervous going on youtube, in the same way I would be nervous about walking on a rickety footbridge across a deep gorge. I might make it but maybe I wont.

I've had a rough patch with youtube. My policy is never to go on it. Ever. There's too many videos. It's too much. Any innocent search can send you packing.
My analogy is the gorge. But there's no rickety footbridge. There's a zipline. But the handles aren't handles. They're nuclear weapons. And very sensitive ones at that. So you're stuffed. Squeeze too hard and you blow up. Ease up and you fall to a gruesome death. You need a masterful balance. But you need experience, lots of it. There's no salvation here.
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 11:58 #299791

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
For me, YouTube alone isn't a trigger. However, there are many videos with sexual content (sexual humor or innuendo) that affects me negatively so I try to avoid them. I used to watch them anyways, my rational was that it wasn't going to affect me that much. But now I have a zero-lust policy and sobriety comes first. Even before YouTube videos.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 14:45 #299796

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
LifneiHashem wrote on 13 Dec 2016 00:46:
Hello, it's been a little while but I just wanted to check in with a few updates:
1) spiders are far more interesting than hyenas. 
2) today is day 100. I vote to change 90 day chart to 100 days. It has a better ring to it. 

Shlomo will say 1 day has a nicer ring to it

You're doing great

KEEP ON TRUCKING!!!!
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2016 14:46 by Markz.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 15:07 #299802

• YidFromMonsey
  • Current streak: 1653 days
  • Gold Boarder
Hello, it's been a little while but I just wanted to check in with a few updates:
2) today is day 100. I vote to change 90 day chart to 100 days. It has a better ring to it. 

Mazel Tov!!!!
You're better than yesterday but not as good as you're gonna be tomorrow. - Harvey

Hello Everyone!

yfm10952@gmail.com

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 15:37 #299809

• tzedekchaim
  • Current streak: 2239 days
  • Gold Boarder

I've had a rough patch with youtube. My policy is never to go on it. Ever. There's too many videos. It's too much. Any innocent search can send you packing.
My analogy is the gorge. But there's no rickety footbridge. There's a zipline. But the handles aren't handles. They're nuclear weapons. And very sensitive ones at that. So you're stuffed. Squeeze too hard and you blow up. Ease up and you fall to a gruesome death. You need a masterful balance. But you need experience, lots of it. There's no salvation here.

I hear yah, Singularity. My youtube has no thumbnails which I find to the first hook. And it won't let me load any videos in all except 4 categories. Regular youtube always puts the "trending" videos upfront and in the recommendations list and those usually are inappropriate and voyeuristic. And of course, just frivolous browsing on youtube to pass the time is a big NoNo, nothing good comes of it methinks.

Congrats, Lifnei Hashem! Let the One day Trucking service continue. In business already 100+ days, awesome!
Last Edit: 13 Dec 2016 15:40 by tzedekchaim.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 16:21 #299817

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Tzedek,

What system/filter do you use that can do that? I'm looking for a better system than I have right now. I don't generally go to YouTube these days but sometimes yes and I would love something like that.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 17:37 #299826

• tzedekchaim
  • Gold Boarder
To quote myself from above:

ps. I have found for youtube (i generally need it for educational videos on math and stuff) what I do is use the blocksi web filter (it is an extension for chrome) and it has a youtube by category filter. It is not that hard to get around a chrome extension filter if one wants to, BUT if the filter in your head is working, when you browse to categories of videos to just aimlessly fill time, it will block the video. It lets you know that this video is not a reason you need to be on youtube. I can say that it has saved me tons of time. IF someone emails me a you tube video and i open it and it gets blocked, I know that I don't need to see it.  (I have disabled all but four categories of videos and It still gives me access to nearly all the math vids that I need) Just something I find helpful.

pps, for youtube, sometimes what gets people is the thumbnails, you can disable them by turning off images for youtube (either in a filter, or in the chrome settings). Another way to get rid of them without messing up button images for the menu and such is to use the adblock chrome extension and select one of the thumbnails and set it as an ad. Then all the thumbnails will be blocked w/o affected the titles of the recommended movies. Those are my youtube settings, and without them I would be quite nervous going on youtube, in the same way I would be nervous about walking on a rickety footbridge across a deep gorge. I might make it but maybe I wont.

I should probably make a tutorial on this at some point if people would find it helpful. 

Just some additional notes: 

1) you need the chrome browser for this to work (maybe firefox has the same extensions, but I haven't looked into it.)

2) There is also a way to set the video wall that shows up ontop of a youtube video once it finishes. I did manage to block this as well with adblock, but I don't remember how I did it. (I think the same as with the thumbnails just right click on one of the panels that show up on the video)

eg.

+-----------+-----------------+--------------------+-----------------+
|                |                       |                         |                        |
+------------+-----------------+--------------------+-----------------+
|                |                     |                              |                       |
+ -----------+----------------+---------------------+------------------+
|                |                       |                         |                        |
+------------+-----------------+--------------------+-----------------+
|                |                     |                              |                       |
+ -----------+----------------+---------------------+------------------+

vihameivin yavin... (though feel free to ask me questions on it)

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 18:02 #299827

• LifneiHashem
  • Current streak: 735 days
  • Gold Boarder
Singularity wrote:

LifneiHashem wrote:
Female hyenas have an appendage similar to the male member making childbirth quite difficult. Both sexes do a dance with erections to greet each other.
I rest my case. Stick with spiders. 

No wonder they're always so edgy.

Wow. Triple figures. Massive Mazeltov! May we all be Zoche.
Re your Youtube battles: a site called 613tube.com helps a little bit....

Those are my youtube settings, and without them I would be quite nervous going on youtube, in the same way I would be nervous about walking on a rickety footbridge across a deep gorge. I might make it but maybe I wont.

I would have to agree with the zip line analogy. The only thing I would add is sometimes you walk that tightrope with a finger on the nuke trigger looking for a reason to fire.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 13 Dec 2016 22:29 #299852

• tzedekchaim
  • Gold Boarder
I would have to agree with the zip line analogy. The only thing I would add is sometimes you walk that tightrope with a finger on the nuke trigger looking for a reason to fire.

I don't know about that. Markz said, in response to me putting on sunglasses with tape as blinders in public, said that it won't solve the problem if the world out there is an evil place (don't remember the exact lashon and sorry markz if I'm taking what you said out of context or stretching it too far). I think that the footbridge is a better analogy because if it is necessary for whatever reason to get across you can and will do it. However, you would much rather avoid it if you could. The same way, if you go on youtube for a necessary purpose (one can argue if there is ever a necessity for it) it is still a very dangerous situation and even proceeding with the most caution may not be enough. However, if said youtube has been handicapped a lot, then the only time it works is for the times that you need it and during said times it is reasonably safe, so long as the filter in your head is working and that you are not using the opportunity of going to youtube as an excuse to act out, which it never is. 

Just to clarify, if when you go out into the real world or the web world you are looking for a reason to act out (going online when bored is no different in my mind) then one has already lost the battle. 

Sincere apologies if I was too frank in this post. And if i totally missed the actual point of discussion.

All the best and keep trucking!

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 14 Dec 2016 07:51 #299881

• Singularity
  • Platinum Boarder
Markz wrote on 13 Dec 2016 14:45:

Shlomo will say 1 day has a nicer ring to it

You're doing great

KEEP ON TRUCKING!!!!

Risky endeavour, contending with King Solomon, Markz! But I admire your forwardness.

@Tzedek: If the only way to get somewhere is to enter a village of idol worshippers where they will for sure make you bow down to an idol, then vadai it's assur, no? Now the question is, is youtube on that level or not?
What maths videos? There are many sites that have maths tutorials without videos, sometimes even with them! No?

My Thread

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 14 Dec 2016 15:54 #299927

• tzedekchaim
  • Gold Boarder
Good point, Singularity.

I agree that it is a question of whether it is on that level. I would contend with the level of blockage that I have done it is not even close to that level.  (I would show you a screenshot of what I mean but, gye, for good reason, doesn't allow user image uploads).

very briefly again, I do use youtube as well as may other educational websites for my school work. (computer engineering senior level). If someone has no need for it, OR does not put up enough of a filter/block/modification of youtube, to fix whatever the problem for them with it is then of course, one should not venture onto youtube, nor enter said city (even if they are giving out FREE cookies ) But if said city has been modified, and all of the idol worshipers are now blind, deaf, and dumb, and quadriplegic, and invisible, than entering the city is probably fine for the limited time that there is a need for it.
Last Edit: 14 Dec 2016 16:04 by tzedekchaim.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 15 Dec 2016 09:33 #299990

• Singularity
  • Platinum Boarder
Touche.

Unless the air has a status of Issur hano'ah

Looks like you know yourself! Da'as Atzmo is the first step in Avodas Hashem. KOT!
And perhaps that's why Hashem puts in a lot of grey areas in life. So it will be Assur for some and Mutar for others. Based on our predisposition. For me, and me alone, Youtube is Avodah Zorah. Even just the fact that the front page loads releases truckloads of dopamine in my brain. It's scary.

My Thread

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 15 Dec 2016 20:10 #300039

• cordnoy
RReshus is what leads to kedushah.

אברהם תיקן שחרית
חסד אהבה
רמח מצות עשה
מגן אברהם

יצחק תיקן מנחה
גבורה יראה
שסה לא תעשה
מחיה מתים (גבורות)

יעקב ערבית רשות
רשות
הקל הקדוש

My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 15 Dec 2016 20:25 #300040

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
cordnoy wrote:
RReshus is what leads to kedushah.

אברהם תיקן שחרית
חסד אהבה
רמח מצות עשה
מגן אברהם

יצחק תיקן מנחה
גבורה יראה
שסה לא תעשה
מחיה מתים (גבורות)

יעקב ערבית רשות
רשות
הקל הקדוש

יקר!

ונותנים רשות זה לזה להקדיש ליוצרם

כשמוסיפים אחדות ומדברים זה עם זה בנחת רוח זהו הדרך לקדושה!! 

שלא כמו מצורע שמרחק מאחדות וטמא טמא יקרא

My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: On the shoulders of those before me 15 Dec 2016 22:20 #300052

• LifneiHashem
  • Current streak: 735 days
  • Gold Boarder
Cordnoy please explain (3 sentence minimum please)
Time to create page: 0.82 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes