Welcome, Guest

A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 38632 Views

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 05 May 2016 14:57 #286761

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
and btw, Mazel Tov on learning Hebrew !

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 05 May 2016 15:11 #286766

• BEHS
  • Current streak: 5 days
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the link abie. I didn't notice it there. And I've known how to type Hebrew for a while but I usually post from my phone or a different computer that doesn't have the capability. I'll try to do it more in the future as it is more "authentic" I guess. 

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 05 May 2016 15:25 #286771

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
BEHS wrote:
Ok, lots to discuss here...

Abie,
1) I'm taking your advice and starting to put all of the posts into Word.  We'll see where it all goes from there.
2) Don't worry about not having the Manhattan נסיון.  You're not missing anything.
3) I don't know yet if I'll keep an actual count, but I'll give myself a pat on the back for the just taking off the glasses.  At this point, it's too hard to really determine if I did or didn't properly guard my eyes.
4) I'm going to keep the streak on for now as I really am looking at these as 2 different things.  One is a streak of sobriety just like any other, and the "batting average" is to focus on my improvement in general.  I'm not really sure what the downside of displaying the streak would be.

Markz,
Please send me a link (or post it below) to your new virtual read thread.  And is there an online or downloadable copy of the SA white book that I can get?

And now onto today's portion of מסילת ישרים...

Thanks Abie, btw Cordnoy is good for other things too, like his daily call in 2 hours

BEHS I just started the read yesterday

Here you go
guardyoureyes.com/forum/11-Working-Through-the-GYE-Handbooks/286679-My-reMARKable-noteBOOK
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 04:27 #286897

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
markz wrote on 05 May 2016 15:25:
Thanks Abie, btw Cordnoy is good for other things too, like his daily call in 2 hours

"could you explain why resentment is a lie? "

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 04:31 #286900

• cordnoy
abie wrote on 06 May 2016 04:27:

markz wrote on 05 May 2016 15:25:

"could you explain why resentment is a lie? "

Do you want an answer to that, or are you pointing out that you were on the call today?
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 05:22 #286905

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
the latter.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 05:23 #286906

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
תתחדש

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 05:34 #286911

• cordnoy
abie wrote on 06 May 2016 05:23:
תתחדש

Thanks
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 08:05 #286926

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
36/38 = .947  Had a fall tonight.  Started by watching a PG-13 movie while cooking for שבת and doing the dishes.  Led to other things.  Even though I should be more careful, I don't really rely on ratings for determining what movies I'll watch.  But even so, why do they feel some of this stuff is appropriate for a 13 year old?  We really live in a severely messed up society.  (Not that this is an excuse for my falling.  That's on me regardless of movie ratings.)

The רמח"ל explains that our physical nature causes us to be lethargic.  One who wants to serve הקב"ה properly must fight very hard against his natural tendencies.  And if one wants to change his nature so that he can become a true זריז, that takes even more work.  If one gives in to his naturally lazy tendencies and doesn’t work on himself, he welcomes destruction into his life.  This person may not be bringing it upon himself actively, but it will certainly come.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 08:30 #286929

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
BEHS, what's the holdup? It's getting late, I can't wait all night for you

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 08:32 #286930

• Abie
  • Expert Boarder
  • למען שמו באהבה
Whoops, I guess you posted while I was waiting.
Now I know what the holdup was..
I guess in the future if you don't post fast enough we'll have to send the patrol after you.

(Though I may take a hiatus beginning next week for the new zman)
Last Edit: 06 May 2016 08:36 by Abie.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 13:19 #286946

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
BEHS wrote on 06 May 2016 08:05:
36/38 = .947  Had a fall tonight.  Started by watching a PG-13 movie while cooking for שבת and doing the dishes.  Led to other things.  Even though I should be more careful, I don't really rely on ratings for determining what movies I'll watch.  But even so, why do they feel some of this stuff is appropriate for a 13 year old?  We really live in a severely messed up society.  (Not that this is an excuse for my falling.  That's on me regardless of movie ratings.)

The רמח"ל explains that our physical nature causes us to be lethargic.  One who wants to serve הקב"ה properly must fight very hard against his natural tendencies.  And if one wants to change his nature so that he can become a true זריז, that takes even more work.  If one gives in to his naturally lazy tendencies and doesn’t work on himself, he welcomes destruction into his life.  This person may not be bringing it upon himself actively, but it will certainly come.

BEHS,

just st a question. Are you sure that it's a good idea to be posting the batting average? It was a cute sports analogy to start with, but a)you can go down to .400 which is an amazing batting average but not great in regard to acting out, and b) it might take your focus away from actually focusing on the issue.

What do you think?

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 13:59 #286953

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
Abie,I didn't realize I have such devoted fans that they can't even go to sleep without reading my updates. This must be what the Beatles felt like!! I'll certainly use that as a motivator going forward. Please try to chime in occasionally even during the zman. It really gives my chizuk.

Working guy,
I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye on this approach since pretty much the beginning. Just to be clear, I'm in no way comparing my percentage to actual baseball numbers. And even if I was, I'd be using OBP or OPS as they are much more indicative of a player's value than batting average, as anyone who has read Moneyball surely knows.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've received the following message many times from GYE (after every fall), "Remember, the Yetzer Hara wants you to get DOWN about the fall, even more than he wanted you to fall. Once he gets you down, he OWNS you." That is what I'm trying to combat by looking at how well I have been doing in the long term regardless about what happened only yesterday.

I'm curious as to what others think. Please chime in no matter which side of the coin you fall out on.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 14:06 #286954

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Brother I have what to say about your count, but not now

I think you will greatly benefit joining me in my "Book"ed Travels
BEHS I just started the read yesterday Here you go guardyoureyes.com/forum/11-Working-Through-the-GYE-Handbooks/286679-My-reMARKable-noteBOOK

My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 06 May 2016 16:16 #286971

• inastruggle
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • the picture is shimshon hagibor. not st. mary....
My two cents about the issue.

Looking at cumulative days (similar to batting average) is good for chizzuk. Looking at the streak is good for reality. 90% sounds great but it means you fall every week and a half. Not good.

I only look at cumulative days if I'm feeling down. Otherwise it's my current streak.

That said, I don't look at either much. It's only a tool not anything more. 
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes