Welcome, Guest

A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 38633 Views

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 25 May 2016 15:41 #288884

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Taiku, what is that?
Is it like a Haiku, or
just remain in doubt?
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 25 May 2016 15:51 #288886

• BEHS
  • Current streak: 5 days
  • Expert Boarder
Gemara term for an unresolved question. Some say it's an acronym for tishbi (as in Eliyahu ha'Tishbi) yaishev kushiyos u'bayos - Eliyahu (when he comes to announce mashiach) will answer our questions and contradictions (?).

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 26 May 2016 03:48 #288927

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
50/58 = .862

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 26 May 2016 11:07 #288935

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
BEHS wrote on 30 Mar 2016 21:33:
...I'm going to disagree with you on the defensive or offensive point.  I was on a group call the other week and I said something which took me by surprise.  As way of background, I'm an accountant so I've been very busy lately.  The "moderator" on the call was asking me if I'd been going through some AA worksheets he circulated and I said that since I've been busy at work and with other things in life (could be identifying information so I'll keep that out for now) I haven't had much of a chance to be very active in the recovery process.  For the time being I'm just listening to the conversations and keeping count on the 90-day chart.

Almost as I was saying the words, I knew it was a horrible approach.  I got here by being passive.  If I'm going to get out, I have to make the first move.  And the second, and all of the rest that will follow.  I have to reach out to those that can help and I have to take the necessary steps.  Now obviously our approach is shmiras ainayim, as you rightly pointed out, but in my mind defense is primarily reactive.  Defense waits for the offense to make its move and then reacts to stop it.  I would venture to say that that approach will get us in trouble more often than not.  We can't wait for the yetzer or addiction, or anything else for that matter to act on us first... I don't want to engage with the addiction.  I want to avoid it.

But as I said before, I'm relatively new to this.  If someone with more experience and success disagrees, I'm more than willing to hear other approaches and learn from them.

I think Dov has some experience and success

I found this gem of his, and it goes like this
Dov wrote on 16 Feb 2013 00:23:
Unfortunately, counting is so often just a contest, as in: "Let's see who can hold their breath the longest! Ooh, you have 90 days of holding your sperm in, wow, Mazel tov, iy"H by me!"

If it is really 'holding it in and holding on', then I doubt it is worthwhile - except as a lesson in failure and a precious stepping-stone to final surrender and a chance for real recovery one day at a time.

Practically all the people who count the days lose their record. I believe it is because they are counting. I think that counting is just plain stupid and childish.

Now I have been plenty stupid and childish for plenty of years myself! So there was a time that counting may have been a good thing for me...for about a month, maybe. But the guys I know who are sober a long time, have usually given up the counting thing early on and do not even remember their exact number of days. They say things like, "It was around Peysach time," or, "It's been about a year..I really should go and look up my calendar and figure out when that last trip I made to the bathroom to masturbate at school was - I think I may have an anniversary coming up soon!" I am serious.

See, "one day at a time" also means that they days do not really add up. The only way they add up is as a measure of gratitude to Hashem - He has helped me and gifted me with reprieve for so many days, so far! The last time I had to act our with sex with myself was 16 years ago erev rosh chodesh Adar. But as far as I myself is concerned, I did not stay sober for that long - that is clear. All I ever did was give up acting out for this very day - or for this very minute. I prayed for the shiksah I wanted to undress with my eyes, prayed for my wife or my child who I wanted to resent, worked my steps 4-7 to give up my fears of my day to Hashem without trying to push Him out of my way today...so that He could keep me sober. And He does.

If I could let go and stop fighting, then so can you or anybody. As long as you agree to let your ego go, and stick with one day - today. It's kedai.

Beating a record leads to getting beaten, that's all.

But hatzlocha doing whatever works for you!

- Dov

Brother

I wish you a wonderful day!
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 27 May 2016 05:03 #288996

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
Markz, you're going pretty far back with those quotes.  I think that was one of my first posts here.  I definitely agree with you that Dov would be considered one with a lot of experience and success.  While I often have trouble understanding what he's talking about, the quote you provided is fairly straightforward and hard to argue with.  It makes me wonder why the 90-days seems to be so prominent within GYE.  Is it just a way to get started?  Is it only meant to be a confidence booster but not a long-time solution?  Considering this Forum is under the label "On the Way to 90-Days", someone here must have thought that counting the days was good for something.

Today, I was on the train and someone caught my eye.  I had about 20 minutes until my stop and I knew I'd be doing nothing the whole time but trying to catch glimpses.  The worst part was that the train was so packed I had almost nowhere to move even if I wanted to.  As I realized my predicament, הקב"ה came along and intervened.  He sent someone else walking by me which opened a clear pathway for me to get into the next car.  I took off my glasses and looked down into my גמרא the rest of the ride.  Definitely a clear case of "without Him, I can't".

51/59 = .864

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 27 May 2016 18:21 #289064

• inastruggle
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • the picture is shimshon hagibor. not st. mary....
I'm a bit late to the topic but since I enjoy machshava as well I'm going to put my 2 cents in. I listened to that shiur a while ago. The answer seems to be that you may not be able to control the fall once the urge is on you but if you can control the stage before that, namely keeping yourself away from that happening through proactive practices, then you have free will. 

As far as counting goes, I personally use it and get chizzuk out of it. It's a good tool for the first few days, then it should stop being too much of a focus. Ideally it should just be something you check from time to time when you need a pick me up.

The 90 day thing is something I feel is pretty harmful in a lot of cases. Like you said, someone must feel it's very useful.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 29 May 2016 07:29 #289141

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
53/61 = .869

Inastruggle, I feel like others may have touched on that same idea, but for some reason your post reminded me of another R' Tatz shiur.  When discussing Dovid and Batsheva, he suggests that the test Dovid failed happened well before he ever saw Batsheva.  He had asked Hashem why we say Elokai Avraham, Elokai Yitzchak, v'Elokai Yaakov but not Elokai Dovid.  When Hashem says, "Because they were tested and you haven't been tested", Dovid says, "Do me a favor and test me".  R' Tatz suggests that that was the failed test.  Dovid exhibited a sort of gaivah in asking for a test.

I think we can take from this the idea that we aren't always sure when the test has occurred.  We might think it's when we see someone on the street or an ad on the internet, but in reality it could have been minutes, hours, or even days before when we failed to take the necessary precautions.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 29 May 2016 08:15 #289143

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
R' BEHS, what do you plan to do today to 'pass the test' in 3 days time?

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 29 May 2016 13:44 #289162

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
53/61 = .869

If this was my count I would reflect the following results into each day of mine and say that;

Batting score:
On a typical day
I am
Satiated 86%
Calm 86%
Sociable 86%
Alert 86%

In other words

ON A DAILY BASIS 14% =
3:30hr of every day
Or 8 minutes of each hour​
I'm hungry angry lonely tired
Perhaps other issues too...

This is a ODAAT (one day at a time) program

I ask myself what am I doing today to be sober today and ONLY today

Gye offers amazing recovery. Am I working my recovery as best I can?

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 29 May 2016 14:22 #289167

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
Markz, I'm not too sure about your calculations here...

GYE offers amazing recovery to a lot of people. Some need a different approach. The trouble is telling them apart.

If only there was a guru who could tell in one instant who needed what. Actually, forget it, no-one would go to him anyway.

Some sort of app would be good...

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 29 May 2016 14:35 #289172

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Watson wrote:
Markz, I'm not too sure about your calculations here...

GYE offers amazing recovery to a lot of people. Some need a different approach. The trouble is telling them apart.

If only there was a guru who could tell in one instant who needed what. Actually, forget it, no-one would go to him anyway.

Some sort of app would be good...

WATS-APP
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 31 May 2016 02:00 #289276

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
BEHS I'm sorry a "calculated" terrorist hijacked your thread

Whatya gonna do about it?

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 31 May 2016 02:01 by Markz.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 31 May 2016 04:18 #289304

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
חס וחלילה.  Never terrorists, just concerned brothers trying to push me forward in the fight.  What I'm doing about it is reading everyone's comments and trying to find the path that works for me.

I find that I'm often torn between wanting to learn and wanting to read GYE/12-step material.  I feel like if I'm doing one then I'm neglecting the other.  In the end, I feel like I'm doing both only halfway.  How does everyone else balance that?

55/63 = .873

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 31 May 2016 23:38 #289371

• inastruggle
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • the picture is shimshon hagibor. not st. mary....
I assume you mean learning torah. I don't have that issue since I don't have the urge to learn all day. There also isn't all that much material to cover, only a few books worth. Do it bit by bit, it'll sink in better that way anyway.

Re: A New Approach to the 90-Day Journey 03 Jun 2016 04:31 #289531

• BEHS
  • Expert Boarder
Sorry it's been a few days.  Been kind of busy lately.

58/66 = .879
Time to create page: 0.87 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes