Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Success Story 17857 Views

Success Story 13 Nov 2015 12:39 #268538

• ysftw
  • Gold Boarder
Hi hi everyone at GYE!
I've been on this website now since early April of this year. 7 months of trying, and B'H in that time I've managed to cut down my falls from a near daily occurrence, to every once in a while. On the one hand this symbolises growth, on the other, I feel to an extent I have thus far failed. Whilst I have gone long periods without falling (although never yet reaching that "90" stage), I still have not yet managed to stop. And, had you asked me 7 months ago what I would have considered this, I would probably have said failure.
Indeed there are moments where I really wonder if it's impossible for me to break the habit completely. Sometimes it is so strong it overrides everything else, and I feel like something other than who I am takes control of my body and does with it what it pleases, and I am a slave to it. Like I said I am close to this narrative. I feel like I am close to hitting rock bottom, without the stupidity to really believe quitting will be a snap of the fingers.
If you want to see my story thus far it is here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/251963-Giving-it-a-go-one-day-at-a-time
What I will say which has worked so far and B'N will continue to is the use of the Taphsic method. Indeed I only seem to fall when I don't have a shavuah (still have no clue about the halachik legitimacy of making this neder but if it stops me from doing more then, well, I suppose it's a good thing).
Anyway, I'm writing this with the optimism of someone who just fell. Indeed on my 90 day chart I have yet to have one whole day clean. This is a sad state of affairs.
Never the less, sometimes you have to be insanely idealistic and hope that the world conforms to your vision of what it can be, and that you can too.
For me, I no longer have the choice whether to keep going or to stop, I must stop due to many many factors, which at this stage at least will remain anonymous.
In this forum which I've optimistically called "Success Story", I will do my utmost write completely openly and honestly, without trying to write my words for an "audience", I will try to hold nothing of my emotional state back.
The aim here is that, starting with not a single day under my belt, and a track-record of failure I will show that it is possible to turn things around, and there will be no tricks either (yes I will be working on my personal growth separately), but the only two items I will be making use of, are the Taphsic shavuot, and my willpower. Today is November 13th 2015 (1st of Kislev 5776), in 90 days it will be February 11th 2016 (2nd of Adar I, 5776), and from this day until that one this Topic will detail my success story of making it to 90, it is possible, and I will commit to being an example of how.
Every single day of those 90 days I will post something on this topic, I can't guarantee it will be more than "still going...easy day", although I do hope to add insight often etc.
The point, again, is to show that it is possible.
Where this blog will go after those 90 days I am uncertain, we'll have to see, perhaps another 90 day challenge.
The point being...it's possible, and what follows will attest to that...
See you on the other side.

Re: Success Story 13 Nov 2015 13:30 #268541

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the boxing ring (your avatar image)

We will be here to cheer you on!!!

I'd like to introduce you to some current regulars that can help you in your fight

Boxing gloves - Yesod
Helmet (Mexican) - Peloni Almoni
Referee - Cordnoy
Backup support - Moshe271
A fictitious object - Siri
Free surrender flags - Shlomo24

If you want to have a boxing match with a horse ask Eslaasos (his avatar image)
Anyone that their name was skipped... Sorry I'm tired
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015 13:31 by Markz.

Re: Success Story 13 Nov 2015 13:41 #268542

• cordnoy
markz wrote:

I'd like to introduce you to some current regulars that can help you in your fight

Boxing gloves - Yesod
Referee - Cordnoy

I wish everyone hatzlachah, but I will not get into the ring with the game plan mentioned above. Ysfk2w can, and so can others, for WW, but it's not for me.

B'hatzlachah.....we are rootin' for you.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015 13:48 by cordnoy.

Re: Success Story 13 Nov 2015 14:46 #268546

• mike dupont
  • Current streak: 181 days
  • Senior Boarder
I've only trying to break free since 3 months. So far I managed to get to 64 days, had a slip and now I'm onto my second journey.
IMHO I wouldn't rely too much on willpower; for years I wanted to get clean but something stronger than my willpower always got the upper hand.
Interesting enough one of the things I learned from my slip is not to become depressed, this would only lead you further down and back to square one.
As a newbie I'm still learning to cope but I'm pretty sure that willpower shouldn't be THE strategy.
Anyway, i wish you a lot of hatzlacha and hope you prove me wrong for your sake.

Re: Success Story 13 Nov 2015 17:51 #268564

• peloni almoni
  • Platinum Boarder
  • אשר אנכי מצוך היום - there is only today
markz wrote:

Boxing gloves - Yesod
Referee - Cordnoy

cordnoy wrote:

I wish everyone hatzlachah, but I will not get into the ring with the game plan mentioned above. Ysfk2w can, and so can others, for WW, but it's not for me.
B'hatzlachah.....we are rootin' for you.

I NOMINATE MOM AS REFEREE INSTEAD OF CORDNOY

btw, welcome. your avatar reminded me of this:

download_2015-11-13.jpg
Have a corny day ... and if you do have other plans, change 'em!!
peloni_almoni@hotmail.com

None of us has it all together, but together, we have it all.

we always put our sobriety before our ego -
מוטב שאקרא שוטה כל ימי ואל אהיה רשע שעה אחת לפני המקום

לפעולות אדם בדבר שפתיך אני שמרתי אורחות פריץ. תמוך אשורי במעגלותיך בל נמוטו פעמי. תהלים יז
- OVERDOSE OF DOV: READING MATERIAL TO KEEP ME SANE
- THE BEST THREAD ON THE FORUM; READ, POST, AND HAVE A GREAT TIME

Re: Success Story 14 Nov 2015 17:29 #268577

• ysftw
  • Gold Boarder
Day 1 complete. 89 days to go.

Thanks for all the posts...Always nice to know you're not alone...the last picture made me laugh a lot. But well spotted, I like the Jacob vs the angel story, it gives good chizuk.

I should mention that it's not JUST willpower, I have taken on a few chumras, and new commitments to help me along the way. But I've learned over some time that it's better to view the core component as being willpower and not attempt to rely on a shtick. The bottom line is that it all very much comes down to you, and how hard you are prepared to fight even at the darkest hour.

Today, B'H, was fairly easy, a few hirhurim here and there but nothing that was impossible to snap out of. The campaign is up and running with, as always, a deceptively simple flying start.

As a side point I think it will be funny to name my yetzer something ridiculous, both for myself, and for this thread, will be taking suggestions in the next few days, if you have anything good let me know?

Shavuah Tov.

Re: Success Story 15 Nov 2015 01:43 #268586

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
ysftw wrote:
Day 1 complete. 89 days to go.

Until what?
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo
"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!

Re: Success Story 15 Nov 2015 11:39 #268615

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
ysftw wrote:
I think it will be funny to name my yetzer something ridiculous, both for myself, and for this thread, will be taking suggestions in the next few days

How about TITANIC
Zemiros Shabbos wrote:
I changed my iPod's name to Titanic. It's syncing now

14 June 2012

Zemiros Shabbos also wrote:
I know a guy who's addicted to brake fluid. He says he can stop any time.

This is very teef. Come back to me in a month to explain this one to you
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2015 11:42 by Markz.

Re: Success Story 15 Nov 2015 20:15 #268657

• lomed
  • Gold Boarder
I am not sure if Willpower is not SHTICK!!!
I currently attend live SA meetings. Feel free to reach out to me.

Re: Success Story 15 Nov 2015 21:01 #268662

• ysftw
  • Gold Boarder
Day 2 complete. 88 days to go.

{^until I complete the 90 day challenge}

Again, thankfully, an easy day, firing on all cylinders.

I've settled on "Sid" for the name of my yetzer. Just cos.

And I will be documenting my fight with Sid for the next 88 days.

Sid kept himself to himself today which was considerate of him.

And lomed, how can willpower be shtick? It just means fighting your yetzer (Sid) head on.

I've also made a new Taphsic shavuah for the next few weeks which is reassuring.

Re: Success Story 16 Nov 2015 20:54 #268762

• ysftw
  • Gold Boarder
Day 3 complete. 87 days to go.

BH Sid is still quiet but inspiration is ebbing away so it's going to be brute willpower from here on in. Bracing myself.

Let's do it

Re: Success Story 17 Nov 2015 02:25 #268795

• Inspire
  • Current streak: 25 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Keep it up

Re: Success Story 17 Nov 2015 02:34 #268797

• Keepclimbing5
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
Looks like Sid has met his match... Keep on punchin till he's down bro. (And pls have me in mind when u do

Re: Success Story 17 Nov 2015 18:15 #268850

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
I just read the thread for the first time so here goes:
Willpower is the issue for you? You didn't REALLY WANT to stop before so now you plan on REALLY WANTING to stop? Can you clarify this for me?
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: Success Story 17 Nov 2015 21:14 #268866

• ysftw
  • Gold Boarder
4 days complete. 86 days to go.

To clarify what I mean by willpower, of course the desire to stop was always there. Of course. Although not really of course, one can always say that you didn’t want it ENOUGH etc. That's the general desire.
When I say willpower I mean:

in the moment between you and your Yetzer it's your Yetzer vs Your Willpower. Your yetzer presents the tempting option, uses everything it has, puts forward the most enticing argument you've ever heard. Against this you may try to bring up all sort of thoughts for the other side, against the yetzer. Sometimes you are successful and you manage to convince yourself that it's better not to give in at least for now.

But regardless, with or without the thoughts on the other side, there is still always the choice whether or not to give in. Your yetzer makes it so you want to so badly, but however tempting things are, there is always a choice, there is always the ability to say no. However hard that is, and wherever it is buried, you chose to act, or not to act on your yetzer. Willpower that I'm speaking of is realising that and committing, that, no matter what, there will always be a choice to not give in, and committing in advance (and B'H forever) to always decide against the yetzer. That is something within ones power. It's a choice.

And that, and very little else, is the commitment I'm making. Because tricks, bells, and whistles, at the end of the day, that's what it comes down to.
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes