Welcome, Guest

I Can Run But I Can't Hide
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 6496 Views

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 13:59 #403478

• hechochma
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Gold Boarder
Connected wrote:

Sounds like a tough spot. What makes the situation even sadder is that I bet there are dozens of other guys around you who feel the same way, and all think they're an anomaly and feel lonely as a result. Ah, society.

Indeed. Everyone has their guard up all the time - that's how we were trained - vulnerability is weakness.

What I can suggest is that you join a group/course/seminar dedicated to personal growth and create meaningful relationships that route.

Heck, you'll probably meet those people you currently only have small talk with.

Ha, that's funny. I actually do this and it does help somewhat but unfortunately I don't see those guys on a regular basis outside the meetings anymore.

Or maybe a bunch of Chasidim. Don't be afraid; we don't bite (we broke our teeth trying to speak English at the course).

I've always been jealous of the way chassidim roll into shachris with their coffee, pull up a chair next to another guy, make themselves comfortable start a gezunte shmooze. After a few minutes there's like 4 chevra there, hokking away and then finally the chazzan finishes korbanos and they roll off to davening. In the meantime, I'm spacing out hoping that when the chazzan gets up there he'll start from yishtabach and then regretting coming to daven in Satmer because I will be late to everything ever. 

On a different note I did start davening in a heimishe place on Shabbos - that has been geshmak for me, not that I made any serious connections with anyone there, but at least the place isn't a freezer.

As for meditation, it can be a useful tool. I would caution you to find a good teacher to guide you through the process because otherwise, its effects can be the opposite of settling you down.

Any suggestions?
Join us in reading two pages a day of the most amazing and absolutely guilt-trip-free book on the epic holy battle of our generation! Free PDF here

My Thread

והנה הכתוב אומר: הן יראת ה' היא חכמה... הרי שהיראה היא חכמה והיא לבדה חכמה... כי עיון גדול צריך על כל הדברים האלה לדעת אותם באמת ולא על צד הדמיון והסברה הכוזבת, כל שכן לקנות אותם ולהשיגם
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2023 14:29 by hechochma.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 14:31 #403479

• hechochma
  • Gold Boarder
bright wrote on 08 Nov 2023 19:37:

Perhaps more importantly - I feel like I don't have any friends.
Plenty of acquaintances to be fair - but friends - people I talk to regularly or share even a mashehu of vulnerability - noop.
There's tons of people that I are similar to me in the most external way - yungeleit in lakewood yada yada. But to connect in more than a small-talkish way - socially off isn't it?! And like if I have emotions - forget it!
That's how it feels to me - anyone else relate or have some thoughts about navigating this?

Move out of town.

Working on that. My wife doesn't really want to :-(
Join us in reading two pages a day of the most amazing and absolutely guilt-trip-free book on the epic holy battle of our generation! Free PDF here

My Thread

והנה הכתוב אומר: הן יראת ה' היא חכמה... הרי שהיראה היא חכמה והיא לבדה חכמה... כי עיון גדול צריך על כל הדברים האלה לדעת אותם באמת ולא על צד הדמיון והסברה הכוזבת, כל שכן לקנות אותם ולהשיגם

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 16:25 #403485

HeChochma wrote on 09 Nov 2023 13:59:
I've always been jealous of the way chassidim roll into shachris with their coffee, pull up a chair next to another guy, make themselves comfortable start a gezunte shmooze. After a few minutes there's like 4 chevra there, hokking away and then finally the chazzan finishes korbanos and they roll off to davening. In the meantime, I'm spacing out hoping that when the chazzan gets up there he'll start from yishtabach and then regretting coming to daven in Satmer because I will be late to everything ever. 

On a different note I did start davening in a heimishe place on Shabbos - that has been geshmak for me, not that I made any serious connections with anyone there, but at least the place isn't a freezer.

Yeah, we Chasidim have an awesome life. Much to be jealous of. Ehem ehem.

Any suggestions?

From what it seems, you hide out in Lakewood. If that's the case, my suggestion would be to move to Monsey and I can hook you up.
We get only one chance at life.
This is not a rehearsal; it's the real thing.

Father, help me live sober Today.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 16:36 #403486

• ainshumyeiush
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Im not sure if suggesting that you switch religious orientation and physical location are helpful (tho if they do i say become Sephardi and/or move to the Midwest) 
have you considered joined an organization? Like bikkur cholem or chaverim or whatever. And maybe try finding a more community based smaller shul.
Or wear a name tag that says "hi! My name is _____. Will you be my friend?" what could go wrong?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

Curiosity kills the count

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/401159-This-time-for-real?limit=15&start=15#401727

feel free to get in touch
ainshumyeiush@gmail.com 
7327021556 (google voice)

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 17:03 #403488

• ki sorisa
  • Junior Boarder
redfaced wrote on 09 Nov 2023 02:23:

iwannalivereal wrote on 08 Nov 2023 20:05:
So happy to hear about your inner peace! I too had similar experience in where I was super proud of my streak even when it was only like 2 weeks because I felt that inner change starting to happen which is such an important part of this struggle.

About your friend question... 2 things come to mind. First of all when we live with this deep dark secret it's very likely that even the friends that we do have, we can't build the relationship because subconsciously we're afraid that if we get too close they might find out about who we really are. The second thing I have noticed (sort of the same point just from the opposite angle) is that I have recently made 3 friends here on GYE who know all about my deep dark secrets. I have shmoozed with them on the phone, and I have even met 2 of them in person. My feelings towards them is that although I don't really know them much, the fact that they know my vulnerable and secret side of me makes me feel so much more comfortable even with random shmoozing than it does when I'm shmoozing with guys I've known for years. We share a common secret and I have nothing to hide from them.
Not sure what the eitza is, but you're always welcome to come visit me in the Yoshon!

Very well said . I have friends here for 6 months that I am closer too & more comfortable with, than the friends I've had for 20+ years.
When you share the depths of your Neshama with someone else , & he with you it creates a closeness that is not easily replicated.

Reb Shimon Schwab in his Sefer מעין בית ‏השואבה brings a beautiful vort from Reb Chaim Forshlager. The פסוק says “וישלח יהודה את גדי העיזים ביד רעהו העדלמי לקחת הערבון מיד האשה״  Why is it relevant for the תורה to make mention now when יהודה sends חירה with the גדי העיזים that he was "רעהו" his friend?  He answers that the  תורה is teaching us here that the גדר of a true friend is someone that we can feel comfortable sharing our deepest secrets and vulnerabilities in order to help each other as was by יהודה and חירה.
Last Edit: 12 Nov 2023 16:15 by ki sorisa.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 23:19 #403502

• crabapple18
  • Current streak: 1430 days
  • Gold Boarder
HeChochma wrote on 09 Nov 2023 14:31:

bright wrote on Unknown:
Move out of town.

“Wherever I go, I go too.” 
Here to see what works for others and a good shmooze. 
Always here to share my journey N' what works for me. 
Feel free to reach out 24/6 charlesbosgod@gmail.com
One day at a time!
Today is what counts. RULE 62
It’s the first drink that gets me drunk.
“Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future and [a] mystery.Today matters most
One lust drink is too many and a thousand isn't enough.
**Its a part of me, not who I am**

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 09 Nov 2023 23:52 #403503

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 458 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Coming late to the party.
Loneliness. Yeah, do I know all about it....  [Sometimes I think I am Father Mckenzie....]

I find that fellows with a developed, rich, and complex internal landscape tend to feel very lonely...
......So much you can't share. So much you deal with all alone, in your head...

Helping other people makes a difference, I find. Though it doesn't remove the problem. You connect to others in a genuine place when you help them, especially if you go out of your comfort zone to do it. When you feel that connection, you know you are not alone. It's something. 

Also - you can discuss something meaningful with someone, even if you don't bare your soul. Someone in Shul that you get into the habit of sharing something you find meaningful with. Then the vort leads to a discussion that isn't "hock"... Some toichen.. you feel understood. Small connections are good. They can assuage the empty feeling of hollow lonesomeness, sometimes...
The main idea is that it's not all or nothing-at-all.

Although a friend-like connection isn't a full, true friendship, nevertheless it is something of meaning. During such a converstaion, for a few minutes, one can feel that he actually has a life If it happens a few times it can even be somewhat habit-forming.
.....Until you feel anti-social
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 09 Nov 2023 23:54 by chaimoigen.

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 10 Nov 2023 13:57 #403520

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • Platinum Boarder
HeChochma wrote on 09 Nov 2023 14:31:

Plenty of acquaintances to be fair - but friends - people I talk to regularly or share even a mashehu of vulnerability - noop.
There's tons of people that I are similar to me in the most external way - yungeleit in lakewood yada yada. But to connect in more than a small-talkish way - socially off isn't it?! And like if I have emotions - forget it!
That's how it feels to me - anyone else relate or have some thoughts about navigating this?

Move out of town.

Whats she afraid of? Not having her parents?
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 10 Nov 2023 14:22 #403521

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder

Move out of town.

The header says “you can run but you can’t hide”. 
Changing location is not the solution
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 10 Nov 2023 17:02 #403524

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Even later to the party...
I relate so strongly to this. I also have many acquaintances but no real close friends. I've always been a loner and non-social. It doesn't help that I have this huge secret to hide, and it's a vicious cycle because the desperate need for connection that I don't know how to make is what fuels my fantasies.

What has somewhat helped is getting involved in learning with others. I've joined Chaburas and arranged to learn bechavrusa with a few people. Connecting over a sefer (besided for the spiritual benefits) is a great was to start building a relationship with someone.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 10 Nov 2023 20:06 #403529

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Markz wrote on 10 Nov 2023 14:22:

Move out of town.

The header says “you can run but you can’t hide”. 
Changing location is not the solution

Unsure if your serious, unsure if i was either.
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 12 Nov 2023 13:42 #403545

• hechochma
  • Gold Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 09 Nov 2023 23:52:
Loneliness. Yeah, do I know all about it....  [Sometimes I think I am Father Mckenzie....]

I find that fellows with a developed, rich, and complex internal landscape tend to feel very lonely...

Helping other people makes a difference, I find. Though it doesn't remove the problem. You connect to others in a genuine place when you help them, especially if you go out of your comfort zone to do it. When you feel that connection, you know you are not alone. It's something. 

I have noticed this since I started talking to others on GYE and trying to listen to others' struggles and encourage them too. I will say that it helps with connection when I help from a place of relating to them and their struggle - but if I play the role of oracle, above and beyond them, offering advice, I feel even more lonely up there in the ivory tower. Good thing is I don't usually have to worry about that - I'm only like two weeks clean altogether!

Also - you can discuss something meaningful with someone, even if you don't bare your soul. Someone in Shul that you get into the habit of sharing something you find meaningful with. Then the vort leads to a discussion that isn't "hock"... Some toichen.. you feel understood. Small connections are good. They can assuage the empty feeling of hollow lonesomeness, sometimes...

Although a friend-like connection isn't a full, true friendship, nevertheless it is something of meaning. During such a converstaion, for a few minutes, one can feel that he actually has a life If it happens a few times it can even be somewhat habit-forming.

Thank you for this eitzah. I am going to try this. It will probably take a few tries until I find somebody who I enjoy talking to but it's an excellent idea. The wonderful thing on GYE is that you can post-stalk people - and then you know beforehand whose approach to life you respect and in which topics you might be able to get a meaningful conversation. Alas, in the real world it's all trial and error.

My Thread

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 12 Nov 2023 13:46 #403546

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 475 days
  • Platinum Boarder
HeChochma wrote on 12 Nov 2023 13:42:

chaimoigen wrote on 09 Nov 2023 23:52:

I have noticed this since I started talking to others on GYE and trying to listen to others' struggles and encourage them too. I will say that it helps with connection when I help from a place of relating to them and their struggle - but if I play the role of oracle, above and beyond them, offering advice, I feel even more lonely up there in the ivory tower. Good thing is I don't usually have to worry about that - I'm only like two weeks clean altogether!

Thank you for this eitzah. I am going to try this. It will probably take a few tries until I find somebody who I enjoy talking to but it's an excellent idea. The wonderful thing on GYE is that you can post-stalk people - and then you know beforehand whose approach to life you respect and in which topics you might be able to get a meaningful conversation. Alas, in the real world it's all trial and error.

There is quite the nice selection of pretty awesome people that hang out here.
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/416899-The-Red-Face

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 12 Nov 2023 15:48 #403547

• hechochma
  • Gold Boarder
Indeed.

My Thread

Re: I Can Run But I Can't Hide 20 Nov 2023 14:05 #403855

• hechochma
  • Gold Boarder
In honor of my almost four weeks clean, I composed a little poem about the difficulties and the growing pains of leaving the safe and comfortable embrace of porn, masturbation and lust and embarking on a journey into the unknown in search of a better, holier, more peaceful life.

Big thank you to Chaim O for pointing out that once GYE is anonymous anyway, I can express my poetic side without running the risk of being tossed in the loony bin. He did mention that HHM may start poking fun at me, but I figured, nothing to lose, he does that anyway ;-). Shkoach to foolie for his pithy input, as always.

>

To carry it all is to be alone as the silent moon, staring

To let go is to freefall, to spiral down, to catch my heart in my throat, fearing.

To share is to express, yet in words too faint to bear the heart they ride upon.

To conceal is to hold deeply, purely, the self, unknown; to polish facades to pride upon.

To hope is to stumble blindly away from the path long-known.

To settle is to sink, stagnant, complacent, into endless slumber, gone.

To feel is to anger at the injustice of it all, to need, to want, to hope, defenseless, exposed inside.

To numb is to cower in a fortress of fear, safely shackled by Mr. Hyde.

To battle is to struggle for connection when emptiness howls, deafeningly.

To break free is to cherish every victory, to fight passion with passion, to monster-truck eternally.

My Thread

Last Edit: 20 Nov 2023 20:53 by hechochma.
Time to create page: 0.86 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes