Welcome, Guest

OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is....
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 83014 Views

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 23 Feb 2016 19:21 #278937

• otr-otr
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I have to get my head clear on this.  Filters/ Accountability software- OK so I used to be hardcore in favor regarding filters that it was something I absolutely needed to break away. I was not even 'trying' if I did not have some huge electronic fence in between me and lust. And to a degree this remains true. Filters are good- no doubt. 

But since then I learned some of the weaknesses of the software and realized that I need to be stronger where they fail.  I have accountability software on my computer right now. And I plan on installing a filter as well in the future as I work back toward sobriety. Here is the issue though, this stuff is everywhere. It is a snap for me to override it... No matter what, somehow, I can find the access regardless, if not on the computer, on the phone, and chat forums,

- The filtering may make it more difficult to access what is harming me, but it's not going to remove it from my life. THere's no way to do that unless I move someplace where there are no phones, no computers... maybe no electricity!! - So this time it's about me. I need to install a filter and I will. But at this point, I think I need to approach it as a support to my sobriety, rather than a hinderance to my acting out. In my mind, there is a difference. 
  • I've never been one for signatures.. but sometimes people change
  • I'm seeking the life that I find manageable which may not be the life you find manageable. But let's make a deal. I want you to find yours and you want me to find mine even if they are different.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 23 Feb 2016 21:24 #278956

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Only when I realized that it's my responsibility regardless of whether the filter is foolproof or not did I find the type of progress I was looking for.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 23 Feb 2016 22:48 #278967

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for sharing that WG. It's not that I don't want a filter. It is more that- the filters don't work and I wind up finding a way around it, or fiending and becoming so obsessed with trying to find the way around them and find "that site" which is not blocked....

That is why I came to the conclusion that I need, for now, to do this because I want to. The filter can't be a method of restraining myself. It doesn't work. It needs to be a method of supporting my recovery. 
  • I'm seeking the life that I find manageable which may not be the life you find manageable. But let's make a deal. I want you to find yours and you want me to find mine even if they are different.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 23 Feb 2016 23:10 #278971

• cordnoy
Sounds like the post call talk today.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 00:30 #278979

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah it is on my mind so I am talking it out with people... marbeh eitza marbeh tevunah. 

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 01:45 #278991

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Shteeble wrote on 16 Feb 2016 10:04:
Assuming we are spiritually fit,
we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do.
People have said we must not go where liquor is served;
we must not have it in our homes...
our friends must hide their bottles if we got to their houses;
we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all.
Our experience shows that this is not necessarily so.
We meet these conditions every day.
An alcoholic who cannot meet them,
still has an alcoholic mind;
there is something the matter with his spiritual status...
In our belief
any scheme of combating alcoholism
which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation
is doomed to failure.
If the alcoholic tries to shield himself he may succeed for a time,
but he usually winds up with a bigger explosion than ever.
We have tried these methods.
These attempts to do the impossible have always failed.
So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking,
if we have a legitimate reason for being there...
To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic,
this may seem like tempting Providence,
but it isn't.

big book    pages 100 - 101

Last Edit: 24 Feb 2016 01:45 by shteeble.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 02:32 #278995

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH SHTEEBES. THERE IS A LOT OF WISDOM IN THERE> BLId NEDER PLAN TO READ THAT PASSAGE DAILY FOR A FEW DAYS IN A ROW. 

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 04:05 #279019

• neiroyair
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Expert Boarder
OTR, I am in a similar situation as you, such that I haven't been on the forums in YEARS, but recently associated my screen name with a new email address. From time to time I type in GUE.com after GYE.com doesn't work- Ahhhh, the good ole days! So much more user friendly now, so I have plenty to be thankful for.

I reread all my posts from the past and while it gave me a little chiuk, it also made me feel quite disheartened and unsettled. In 5 years I sound similar to the way I was back then or even less connected in certain areas. That hurts...Hopefully we can join the land of the living together after tasting and "living" death for so long...

You are not the weakest link…Goodbwell hello there!

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 04:27 #279021

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
I drink from the same bitter cup NY... Feeling like where have I gotten.... But then let's be honest friend, what were we doing to change in the interim. I know I was not doing much but slowly sliding down the hill. Maybe you are different. For me I think I got exactly what I deserved. A handful of "not that much at this point".

But I am coming back with a different perspective this time.

I look at some of the guys who stuck around.... Sober for 1 year, 2 years, 3 years.... some of them. We both came in at the same time in the same boat. Seeing them gives me the belief that I can do that too.

Some of them are sober for stretches of a few months at a time. Even 90 plus... Although they may have acted out subsequently, that stretch of sobriety is also good. 

Others who were here and really worked and got someplace but then slipped back into a coma.... I look at their posts and there is chizuk to be had from them.  If only those guys could see their old posts now. If only they would know that I am getting chizuk from it now, or that others are.... 

Keep in touch! 
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2016 04:29 by otr-otr.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 04:36 #279022

• neiroyair
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Expert Boarder
Wow! Really powerful words and so true.....
I actually recognized someone from the calls and read all his posts because I know him pretty well, but didn't know he had this struggle and wanted to see if our stories were similar, so that I could help in any way (and suppress my curiosity if we're being totally honest...

There was so much to be gained and whereas words take a few seconds or minutes to be typed up, going back and reading them can really boost your morale.
You are not the weakest link…Goodbwell hello there!

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 04:44 #279024

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
If I am the person you recognize, please come over and broach the topic... Not the best tasting medicine but it works... 

There are so many people out there strugling with this. How many get on GYE.. don't know. 

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 15:10 #279056

• cordnoy
OTR wrote on 24 Feb 2016 04:44:
If I am the person you recognize, please come over and broach the topic... Not the best tasting medicine but it works... 

There are so many people out there strugling with this. How many get on GYE.. don't know. 

It's someone else.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 17:50 #279077

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh darn it! I'm never the center of attention! 

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 24 Feb 2016 18:04 #279079

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2016 19:07 by Markz.

Re: OnTheRoad is BackonTrack is OTR is.... 25 Feb 2016 00:36 #279140

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
OK so My wife is out, this is  a typical time when I would act out. First semi real act out alarm I have had this week. And I am closing in on my first week of sobriety. I can make it through this, but to be frank, I am really feeling like I am looking forward to a fight for this in the future. - I can't fight- You know, this is EXACTLY what we spoke about today on a call. I need to surrender. Surrender means I can't do this alone. I can't 'fight it' or 'beat it'... I need to talk to someone, going to make a call now... 
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes