Welcome, Guest

Documenting My Journey
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Documenting My Journey 1843 Views

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 04:50 #359042

• withgdthereshope
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Expert Boarder
So a general question because I'm not very familiar with this forum. I find a lot of focus on dealing with ourselves as addicts and all that, but I find less here about figuring out what we are escaping from and what the addiction "gives us". I understand AA's and SA's approach to addiction and all that, and why that leads to viewing ourselves as addicts that need to be controlled, but I believe that not focusing on these questions really makes things very difficult. I'm new here, but maybe if this area isn't addressed enough I can try to help out a little bit there.

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 04:53 #359044

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
withgdthereshope wrote on 18 Dec 2020 04:50:
So a general question because I'm not very familiar with this forum. I find a lot of focus on dealing with ourselves as addicts and all that, but I find less here about figuring out what we are escaping from and what the addiction "gives us". I understand AA's and SA's approach to addiction and all that, and why that leads to viewing ourselves as addicts that need to be controlled, but I believe that not focusing on these questions really makes things very difficult. I'm new here, but maybe if this area isn't addressed enough I can try to help out a little bit there.

Yes!!! Please do!!
Shkoyach

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 05:03 #359045

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder

I’ve been waiting for this day!

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I believe it would be extremely helpful for many of us if we would share 4 things.

1. Some background, eg childhood...
2. What are we running away from... 
3. Who are we running away / hiding from due to shame. 
4. TRIGGER WARNING! So then let’s skip this one. Ok so don’t write it on the forum. Maybe don’t write it anywhere. However if we could put down our specific lust habits and fixation, that may possibly actually indicate our core issue and once we figure that out it can guide us where to find the light. This #4 is just a theory but may hold water (Yes I have a personal list of my lust habits from youth till recently that I noted for myself. It’s locked in my Hall of Shame).
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 05:07 #359046

• withgdthereshope
  • Expert Boarder
Markz wrote on 18 Dec 2020 05:03:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I believe it would be extremely helpful for many of us if we would share 4 things.

4. TRIGGER WARNING! So then let’s skip this one. Ok so don’t write it on the forum. Maybe don’t write it anywhere. However if we could put down our specific lust habits and fixation, that may possibly actually indicate our core issue and once we figure that out it can guide us where to find the light. This #4 is just a theory but may hold water (Yes I have a personal list of my lust habits from youth till recently that I noted for myself. It’s locked in my Hall of Shame).

And to Yeshiva Guy but I don't know how to tag both.

Has this really not been addressed? I would love to get an idea of what has been addressed and how members feel about the whole idea before really jumping in.

It's a big task and I'm getting a bit scared of the undertaking but maybe we can start slow. I have a hard time not doing things fully - another thing I hope to grow in.

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 05:08 #359047

• withgdthereshope
  • Expert Boarder
withgdthereshope wrote on 18 Dec 2020 05:07:

Has this really not been addressed? I would love to get an idea of what has been addressed and how members feel about the whole idea before really jumping in.

It's a big task and I'm getting a bit scared of the undertaking but maybe we can start slow. I have a hard time not doing things fully - another thing I hope to grow in.

And then we have to address your list, but I would love to get some more info first.

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 05:15 #359048

• withgdthereshope
  • Expert Boarder
Here's some disclaimers.

For starters, I'm not a big believer in the idea of addict for life. Maybe it's all because I don't want to face that idea and I'm simply running away from it all, but I don't think that's the whole reason.

The idea of being an addict for life doesn't fit a lot of what we know about psychology. I think that the reason we are addicts for life is not because we HAVE to be but instead because the addiction is helping escape from something and because that urge is great it's very difficult to ever escape from addiction.

This isn't simply a theoretical discussion though because it gets to the root of the whole thing.

If we wouldn't need to escape than we wouldn't necessarily be that life long addict.

And even if we wouldn't completely ever make peace with what we're escaping from, we would be in a completely different and better world if we at least lessen that need to escape.

Okay, enough for now. Got to catch some shut eye, but PLEASE everyone chime in and let me know your thoughts because I'm new here and don't even know if all this is beneficial.

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 05:18 #359049

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder
I think many people can get away with making the distinction that it's only responsible that I use many safeguards, and I must and will do that and be very strict about them, but at the same time I don't have to attach a label to myself. (Perhaps not people with extreme addiction. I don't know.) 
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 09:01 #359062

• lionking
  • Platinum Boarder

Thanks Mark for this list. It really represents the core issues. I have such a list written in my heart. 
Do you think it is better to share this list with someone? Including #4?

Sometimes, I feel like the answer to #3 is you. I am ashamed. How can I face you that I fell again and again, over and over? You were a true lifeline in my earlier years.

But, the real answer to #3 is always Hashem and my self. I'm hiding from my self. I'm not allowing the real me to shine through.
I'm trying to hide from Hashem, because if would've truly believed that He is always with me, I wouldn't have fallen.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the Freudian philosophy that our fixations represent core values, however I still think question #4 is good, because it helps us define what we need to work on avoiding.
My email address is: growinghigher613@gmail.com

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 13:23 #359066

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
withgdthereshope wrote on 18 Dec 2020 05:07:

It has, at least I feel it has. But chazara is always good. And he’s offering to give his haaros etc, and there’s always more to learn
Last Edit: 18 Dec 2020 13:26 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Documenting My Journey 18 Dec 2020 14:51 #359067

• eved41
  • Current streak: 746 days
  • Junior Boarder

Hi WGTH, I'm wondering if the following Dov quote has any bearing on your question.
Gibbor quoted Dov as follows (the added emphasis below is Gibbor's):

dov wrote on 11 Aug 2011 18:26:

Yeah. You are thinking too much, as you are always doing (if you are anything like me), and you are convinced that you need to 'understand' something in order to succeed at getting better.

Make in-person friends with another person in successful recovery from a problem like yours and speak daily with that person at the beginning of the day (before or after davening or breakfast) and then again near the end of the day sometime. It doesn't need to be every day, but most days would be great.

Love yourself, take good care of yourself, and stop burdening your poor self with the weight of the world. Nobody really understands all the stuff you are struggling to gain mastery over. Least of all, you.

Learn what to do, not what to think.

You cannot think yourself into right living. You can only live yourself into right thinking.(emphasis mine) Hashem will give you the gift of right-thinking. But it will be a gift that you will be able to hold onto only after you take the right actions without needing to understand.

Na'aseh venishma is not a mitzvah anywhere in the Torah, but it underlies everything.  Especially recovery.

Trust G-d, period.

What do you think?
eved41

Re: Documenting My Journey 20 Dec 2020 03:33 #359122

• withgdthereshope
  • Expert Boarder
eved41 wrote on 18 Dec 2020 14:51:

Hi WGTH, I'm wondering if the following Dov quote has any bearing on your question.
Gibbor quoted Dov as follows (the added emphasis below is Gibbor's):

dov wrote on 11 Aug 2011 18:26:

Yeah. You are thinking too much, as you are always doing (if you are anything like me), and you are convinced that you need to 'understand' something in order to succeed at getting better.

Make in-person friends with another person in successful recovery from a problem like yours and speak daily with that person at the beginning of the day (before or after davening or breakfast) and then again near the end of the day sometime. It doesn't need to be every day, but most days would be great.

Love yourself, take good care of yourself, and stop burdening your poor self with the weight of the world. Nobody really understands all the stuff you are struggling to gain mastery over. Least of all, you.

Learn what to do, not what to think.

You cannot think yourself into right living. You can only live yourself into right thinking.(emphasis mine) Hashem will give you the gift of right-thinking. But it will be a gift that you will be able to hold onto only after you take the right actions without needing to understand.

Na'aseh venishma is not a mitzvah anywhere in the Torah, but it underlies everything.  Especially recovery.

Trust G-d, period.

What do you think?
eved41

I think we often get stuck on questions that really don't matter but on the other hand, there is a ton that can make a difference. I agree that speaking with someone and not overburdening ourselves with questions we dont have answers too is super important, BUT there are some mindset shifts that can truly change the ballgame. These are things that really do make a difference. I think I have to do a series on this because I think it can truly transform the lives of so many of us. 

Re: Documenting My Journey 20 Dec 2020 03:36 #359124

• withgdthereshope
  • Expert Boarder
We often ruminate on these things and generally it isn't helpful as Dov wrote, but imagine we actually had clarity and then were able to overcome that uncomfortably that causes us to escape into our addiction. What would that do for us? How helpful would it be?

Re: Documenting My Journey 20 Dec 2020 03:37 #359125

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
withgdthereshope wrote on 20 Dec 2020 03:33:

I think I have to do a series on this because I think it can truly transform the lives of so many of us.

Awesome! Can’t wait! U can post here or start a brand new thread.
Looking Forward!

Re: Documenting My Journey 20 Dec 2020 04:05 #359129

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Instead of being philosophical about to open up to someone or not, maybe just try speaking to someone and see if it helps, being that most guys here say it does. It saved me...
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Documenting My Journey 20 Dec 2020 07:14 #359144

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Zedj wrote on 17 Dec 2020 03:47:
When you you get out of this mess, you will be a better therapist. You will understand the sacrifice your clients take upon themselves on a daily basis.

Question for the therapist:
I once heard from a a known speaker-sombody asked him "do you believe everything you say" he replied "if I repeated everything I believe, I wouldn't say anything"

Do you believe the advice you give a client is true and works?

It mind sound stupid but this is what I'm wondering.
Is that maybe the reason you are hesitant to go to therapy yourself?
Or maybe you are like me, petrified of the unknown and just can't bring yourself to speak to someone to admit you have a problem?

Speaking to someone lightened the load tremendously.
At your your own time, when you are ready, call someone or speak to someone you can trust. The sooner the better.
You will be playing 4d chess while your opponent is playing checkers

I thought I responded and it disappeared!

I think your points are both accurate.

I do believe that I help people, but I focus on practical change and I see the results. Unfortunately, I don't believe that the average therapist is a magic pill especially when it comes to more complex and unclear struggles. Dealing with phobias or general anxiety is one thing, dealing with something more encompassing like depression that doesn't seem to have a clear root or an addiction that doesn't either is a different ball game. This doesn't mean that I believe therapy wont be good for me - I think it would be very beneficial. I am wary of the idea that it will be some magic pill though.

The main struggle though is simply facing someone and coming out with it. I've spent years in therapy and only mentioned the very basic idea of addiction once. Even posting here is a big step, but I hope it will be a step that leads to getting to a point where I am able to have that conversation with a therapist.

A gut voch W.G.T.H!

interesting answers!
I think I made you think! 

I don't think anyone is looking for a magic pill. If there was, then we all would take it in a blink of an eye.
I for one would not be here.

We are battling and fighting with an inner struggle constantly.
As you know there are many ways to relieve and help with this specific struggle.

From my personal experience: I realized a couple of years ago that I have a problem, I knew it in my gut. Addiction I don't know but still an issue.
(Realizing I have an issue)

I don't know at what point I can say I eccepted myself (I may have said something earlier about this)
Was it before I called and reached out? Maybe it was once I actually called?
(eccepting myself..) took me too long to reach out for help.

It could very well be, the eccepting of yourself will probably be commuted when you make the phone call or speak to someone. (Of course when you are ready to make that step.)

As a therapist, you see people talk about their issues and vulnerabilities, it's not easy to do, it's extremely raw and painful sometimes ( for me it's so hard) but it's the only way I see myself getting out of this pit I created for myself.

I was, am and still vulnerable.
I think that being vulnerable is necessary and needed to be helped.

I'm not a great writer or communicator but I think you understand.

Wishing you the best and hatzlocha!

Ps
I think having a series will help alot on the forums.
Looking forward!

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Time to create page: 0.70 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes