Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Starting again 13374 Views

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 17:16 #333238

• md12
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Fresh Boarder
good luck man

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 18:46 #333246

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Senior Boarder
Day 2: Had some trouble with inappropriate images but stopped myself before going too far. Feel bad, but at least I didn't fall. 

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 18:53 #333247

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Help me G-d get through today without any further troubles. I love you and believe in you that you have given me the power to overcome these struggles. There is nothing but you, Master in Heaven, and you determine my existence every moment of the day. Therefore I must be in perpetual obedience to you and your commandments, even if lies are cast on me by the Yetzer Hara. The test of not sinning with inappropriate images is evidently passable; otherwise G-d wouldn't give it to me. May G-d help my brethren and I realize that guilt will only restrain us from service to him, and we have the ability adavnce ourselves spiritually. 

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 19:06 #333250

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
ManWhoStumbles wrote on 09 Jul 2018 19:16:
Day 4: I currently struggle with a screens problem, which manifests itself in online gaming, and p***. I struggle when I am home and have trouble staying clean for more than a week. Hopefully, Hashem will give me the ability to have more self control. 

Sorry to hear your struggle!

Hashem actually gave me the ability to act out, and I did. 
He gives (most of) us the ability to have self control too. 
So we can't leave it upto Him entirely.

Gd gives us the capability to take a brave step to gain sobriety :-)
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 22:08 #333264

• ChizukSC
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for continuing to post. You are giving me a lot of chizuk in my own battle. You can do it!

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 22:24 #333265

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Fell again; back to day zero. I don't know what to do. 

Re: Starting again 11 Jul 2018 23:49 #333269

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Day 0. From now one all games, inappropiate images,  mzl, and following professional sports  will be considered falls. This is necessary in oreder to avoid both triggers and what I previously considered falls. 

Re: Starting again 12 Jul 2018 03:27 #333275

• i-man
  • Platinum Boarder
Be careful not to take on way too much at once - it usually doesnt work out to well...

did you reach out to anyone here ? its helped many people including myself .

Hatzlachah

Re: Starting again 12 Jul 2018 09:23 #333280

• yerushalmi
  • Current streak: 11 days
  • Expert Boarder
You have a good attitude. If you stumble, you get right back up!!

Personally, I have found the following to be helpful:

1) As long as my computer was unfiltered (or had one that I could bypass easily), it wasn't really a fair fight. The Yetzer would always win. Sometimes it took a few days, but he always won. It wasn't until I got a foolproof filter that the fight was even a fair fight.

2) When I first started my own 90 day journey, I was afraid that 90 days was too long to take on at once. In my mind, I committed to taking on myself a 10 day journey. I had done 10 clean days in the past, so I knew I could do it again. I said to myself, I am staying clean for 10 days, and after that we will see. I am now on day 154.

3) If I take too much on at once, that is a recipe for an automatic failure. I first started with no MZL. I later added not to touch myself "down there", and have been good with that for around 3 weeks so far. Just a few days ago, I filtered out eve more online sites. These are not inappropriate sites per se, but they would cause me to stay up very late wasting time. The staying up late was/is a big trigger for me.

If you find this helpful, great! If not, ignore it!

Re: Starting again 12 Jul 2018 22:09 #333321

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Day 1: I thinks its worth it to take on a lot at once.  Unless I avoid my triggers, I will probably use up my will power and fall.  I need to be busy doing productive things.  Another thing is that I am not in a position to fully filter all the internet capable items where I am living, so avoiding triggers and learning Torah are my top defense mechanisms. I just have to try my best and G-d will do the rest.

Re: Starting again 13 Jul 2018 09:14 #333353

• yerushalmi
  • Expert Boarder
You know what works for you the best!

My main issue was (and still is) mzl. I would look at stuff online, and then be mzl lots of times. Even when I got my filter up and running, I remembered what I had seen, and that was still a problem. There is someone from the GYE site with whom I am in constant communication (by email, phone, and even a live meeting). At his urging, I committed to myself not to touch myself "down there" for 24 hours. That was VERY HARD. But I did it. Then I renewed it for another 24 hours. I am still in the process of weaning myself off of this drug, but I am seeing progress.
I am not telling you what to do, just sharing what worked for me. If you find something that I posted to be useful to you, try it! If not, not. 

Your attitude is very encouraging! Whenever you fail, you pop up again, ready to fight!

Re: Starting again 13 Jul 2018 17:34 #333378

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Day 2: I think a gradual approach works well when trying to introduce positive actions, like learning more Torah but when trying to avoid something, it helps to just stop everything at once. Even so, I agree with Yerushalmi's advice that I shouldn't advice to not use unfiltered computers when alone, and have become more careful in that regard. I think I could try the 24 hours if things are getting rough. May heaven help everyone achieve their goals in fighting the Yetzer Ha'Ra!

Re: Starting again 15 Jul 2018 06:49 #333398

• yerushalmi
  • Expert Boarder
Years ago, I heard from a distinguished Rav, that one should treat an unfiltered computer like the Issar of Yichud. Don't do it alone! [I heard this around 15 years ago, before smartphones came out. I don't know what he would say today.]

All the best to you!
Stay strong!

Re: Starting again 15 Jul 2018 07:11 #333400

• joyoflife
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Senior Boarder
I'm very impressed with you - keep fighting! 

I think that there is definitely truth in the "extreme" approach. It just depends in what regards its used. As one who lived for a long time without a filter/accountability I can tell you that it's certainly very difficult to switch over to filtered internet. With that said, I think it makes sense to be "extreme" and get a solid filter if you have not already done so. This way you force yourself to minimize triggers as well as make it very difficult to obtain inappropriate material. If this is impossible (ie your chromebook) - get rid of it and replace it with something which a reliable filter can be placed on it! Its super tough - I know since I had a smartphone for a few years and got rid of it. It felt like taking a piece of myself out. Ultimately though I am a lot better off. Hope this helps.

Hashem should give you tons of strength to do the right thing and win this fight! If you need any chizuk, you know where to find it!

Re: Starting again 15 Jul 2018 14:25 #333420

• ManWhoStumbles
  • Senior Boarder
Day 3/4: On Friday, I had trouble keeping to the no games or sports commitment, but was fine in regards to the gye guidelines. I didn't post Saturday, since it was late when Shabbos ended, and I didn't use electronics that much afterwards. Today, I will try to avoid watching the world cup,  playing games, and browsing youtube. With the help of heavens I can use my day productively. 
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes