Welcome, Guest

Journey of one day at a time
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Journey of one day at a time 143840 Views

Re: Journey of one day at a time 21 Feb 2017 20:11 #306401

Day 11: Ever felt like you needed to release the tension that has been building within you? The longer you've been holding out the more urgent it seems? 

I used to think this was a build up of sexual tension (energy) and if you weren't going to release it through "acting out" you had to find another way to "let it out", if you wanted to stay sane. 

I now think that's a mistake. 

There's a build up of tension all right. It's a neutral tension though. It's created from your worries, your stresses and the bumps you hit in your everyday life. 

There's nothing sexual about it. 

"Acting out" just happens to be a really easy way to release it (and did I mention affordable? Ok don't shoot me, only joking). 

Why does this matter? 

Well firstly, I never said it did, so there! 

I think it does matter a bit though.

For if you feel stressed, feel like you need a release and you recognize that the uncomfortability that you are experiencing has nothing to do with refraining from acting out, it takes away alot of excuses. It shoots just one more arrow into the "I need to" illusion.

Exercising or singing for the addict (I'm not using this word in the clinical sense, just using it for someone who finds it hard not to engage in PMO) are not like soymilk to a non-lactose person. It's not like animal blood for a vampire.(Vampires prefer human blood, they also don't exist).  

Other stress releasers are just as "genuine" as acting out. They require a bit more effort but are more effective as well. 

If you managed to read all that, then you are totally awesome.

Have a great day!
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

"Think good and it will be good!"
Last Edit: 26 Feb 2017 21:38 by Ihavestrength.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 21 Feb 2017 20:16 #306402

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Current streak: 44 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the share I like the mentality 
very important thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21" option="guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21">FEEL THE HUGS!!!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 03:01 #306438

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You hit the nail on the head!
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 04:40 #306443

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 21 Feb 2017 20:11:
Day 11: Ever felt like you needed to release the tension that has been building within you? The longer you've been holding out the more urgent it seems? 

I used to think this was a build up of sexual tension (energy) and if you weren't going to release it through "acting out" you had to find another way to "let it out", if you wanted to stay sane. 

I now think that's a mistake. 

There's a build up of tension all right. It's a neutral tension though. It's created from your worries, your stresses and the bumps you hit in your everyday life. 

There's nothing sexual about it. 

"Acting out" just happens to be a really easy way to release it. 

Why does this matter? 

If you feel stressed, feel like you need a release and you recognize that the uncomfortability that you are experiencing has nothing to do with refraining from acting out, it takes away alot of excuses. It shoots just one more arrow into the "I need to" illusion.

Exercising or singing for the addict (I'm not using this word in the clinical sense, just using it for someone who finds it hard not to engage in PMO) are not like soymilk to a non-lactose person. It's not like animal blood for a vampire.(Vampires prefer human blood, they also don't exist).  

Other stress releasers are just as "genuine" as acting out. They require a bit more effort but are more effective as well.

I think you're on to something big here.
I always thought it WAS a buildup of sexual tension...
But you make a strong point.
Can you please continue this train of thought?

Also, I got lost on the Exercising, singing, vampire thing. What was meant in that paragraph? Thanks.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 05:17 #306446

Sure. I think it's a point which we all know to be true but yet aren't fully cognizant of. 

The basic idea is as follows: an alcoholic uses alcohol to deal with the stresses of day to day life. Alcohol is not necessarily the best way (a.k.a most effective method) to release stress. It's merely the method the alcoholic knows. He LEARNT it.

When he has an overwhelming urge to reach for the bottle it's not to release tension that built up as a result of not drinking.

Thr truth is that this argument is perhaps even stronger for a sex addict which a "behavioral" rather than a "substance" addiction.

By the alcoholic it can be argued that it's discomfort resulting from his dependency that he's feeling. 

Although in truth I don't think any thinking person believes that dependency is the whole story. Surely, the primary reason the alcoholic drinks is to escape the (sometimes harsh) realities of life. 

The exercise and vampire paragraph was just bringing this point home.  Vampires prefer human blood. Animal blood is a bad alternative for them. It doesn't really quench their thirst. 

I was saying that good habits and good stress releasers for the sex addict are not like the animal blood for the vampire. 

They are equally legitimate. Good habits like exercising or building connections with people don't just "quiet the need" to lust.

There is no need to lust.

There IS a need not to feel like garbage or ridiculously and constantly stressed. The only way the sex addict knows to feel good or release stress is through lusting. 

He LEARNT it. So now he needs to learn new methods. 

I think this may be quite powerful for some. For if you see "acting out" as the natural way to fight stress, no wonder you'll feel triggered when things are going tough. 

There doesn't have to be a connection between stress and lust. You just taught yourself that there is one.

Peace 

Hope that was somewhat clear. 
If you are really bored, you can check out my original thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/305558-Journey-of-one-day-at-a-time 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 10:47 #306467

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Very nice.

And now we gotta learn how to deal with stress properly. And that's something we need to work on now. Never had the chance to do it before...
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 10:53 #306469

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Platinum Boarder
Agreed 
and right now I feel very stressed out......
very important thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21" option="guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/19180-FEEL-THE-HUGS%21%21%21">FEEL THE HUGS!!!

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 17:45 #306499

• cordnoy
MayanHamisgaber wrote on 22 Feb 2017 10:53:
Agreed 
and right now I feel very stressed out......

We are here for you.
Unload it on us.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 18:01 #306504

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 22 Feb 2017 05:17:

There doesn't have to be a connection between stress and lust. You just taught yourself that there is one.

I think this is the most brilliant line I've ever read on this site.
Thank you.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 18:19 #306507

• mayanhamisgaber
  • Platinum Boarder
Will post on my thread bl"n so as not to hi-jack the thread

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 22:29 #306560

Day 12: Created a study schedule today. Tried making daily goals that are achievable yet not too easy.

I worry sometimes that I won't know the material well enough for the test. That my planned chazara (review) isn't sufficient. This is a real possibility. 

So I tell myself, what will happen if I fail? Not much in truth. It's relatively low stakes. For that I'm lucky I suppose. 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 22 Feb 2017 22:40 #306562

Random question, if something could help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it. The times are all wrong are the forum for me. For example it says my last post was at 22:29 when in reality it was at 5:29pm. Anyone else have this problem? 

Re: Journey of one day at a time 23 Feb 2017 01:27 #306573

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 22 Feb 2017 22:40:
Random question, if something could help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it. The times are all wrong are the forum for me. For example it says my last post was at 22:29 when in reality it was at 5:29pm. Anyone else have this problem? 

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/profile/my-profile/edit
On the User Account tab there is a setting for time zone.

Re: Journey of one day at a time 23 Feb 2017 01:38 #306575

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Ihavenostrength wrote on 22 Feb 2017 22:40:

You get to 90 days faster
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Journey of one day at a time 23 Feb 2017 01:40 #306576

Ty Shteeble! 

Markz, very funny

Time to create page: 0.70 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes