Welcome, Guest

Struggling to get out of first week
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Struggling to get out of first week 15822 Views

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Jun 2016 12:13 #290884

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome back

I think it can be productive to share with the wife how you feel

See       
     This   
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Jun 2016 14:38 #290902

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
startrekuser wrote on 28 Jun 2016 01:35:
I'm back.  It's been a while.  Anyway, my wife has said in the past that she wants to be emotionally close but I'm not vulnerable,  that  I don't share my feelings.  I didn't get what she was saying at all.  Now I think I'm starting to get it.  In the past, and even now, when she gets upset at me for something I did wrong, I would get angry and deny I did anything wrong.  Now at least, I won't deny it and I'll  apologize.  

So I read an article on people that lack emotional intelligence and I thought, maybe that's me.  They talked  about a man who would always get angry at his wife and was angry at her when she said she was leaving him.  Anyway, to some extent, that sounds like me.  

When my wife gets upset at me, I feel tremendous shame for hurting her, but I never realized that until I recently started thinking  about it.  So, I would often crawl into my shell while she would push me to react in some way.  I would get angry at  her for pushing me.  All that time, I was hiding my shame that I didn't want to share.  Maybe I should speak to a therapist about this.  Do you think that if I shared all this with her, it would do any good?  Also, I think that the shame I feel and hide from everyone is a factor in my falling over and over again.

Any thoughts are welcome.  Thanks in advance.  

Two great books worth reading- one is Hold Me Tight by Sue Johnson which I'm in middle of; Markz quoted from it in the past. There, it basically points out that we're all desperate to be loved and to be able to trust that our spouses will take care of us, and when we don't feel that, we react in different ways. It will give you a better understanding of where your wife is coming from, and where YOU are coming from.

The other book is The Five Languages of Love. There it talks about how each person is looking to be loved a certain way. One may find quality time as the only real way they feel close to their spouse, one will only find kind words, and it shows how a person can be a great and caring spouse, but if what they're doing is not the "language" of love that their spouse speaks and appreciates, it will not work and their spouse will feel distant all while they are feeling like they do everything possible. 

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Aug 2016 04:52 #294444

• startrekuser
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Expert Boarder
I'm miserable.  I only exist to go to work and come home and sleep.  What's the point?

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Aug 2016 14:03 #294451

• startrekuser
  • Expert Boarder
I'm baal teshuva.  Ever since I got involved in the observant world, in my late 20s, I've always lived in a community that had kiruv.  In addition, the shuls I went to were kiruv shuls - Chabad and others.  I always felt at home in shul and really enjoyed going.  Recently my family and I moved to a "religious" neighborhood (it's been over 3 years now).  All the shuls are "religious" and mostly people with a "black-hat" yeshiva background.  I HATE HATE HATE living here.  I feel SO suffocated here.  It used to be that when I went to shul, I would feel uplifted.  Now, and I'm not trying to be dramatic, but when I leave shul, I often have suicidal thoughts.  I came really close one time to driving on shabbos so I could go to a shul I liked.  Why do I hate it here so much?  Is this normal?  Is there something wrong with me?  For sure, my observance has suffered since moving here.  I'm not inspired at all by torah or Judaism in general anymore.  In fact, I've lost most of my zest for living.  This is a major cry for help.  I've haven't spoken to anyone about this except for my wife and it only hurts our relationship to discuss this, so we don't speak about it anymore.  I keep it all inside.

I was prompted to revisit these feelings when Esther Jungreis passed away this last week.  I got started in observant Judaism by going to her classes.  Her class was very small when I started going and grew to by enormously popular.   I was hooked by her message from the first minute she started speaking.  She was inspiring.  I don't find anything about my community to be inspiring and it's a very nice community.  My rabbi is a extremely talented speaker and is a professional speaker.  His talks and classes rarely resonate with me, though.
Last Edit: 28 Aug 2016 14:10 by startrekuser.

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Aug 2016 14:17 #294452

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Cruiser,

I think that as long as we pin our sobriety and our sanity on others, our truck will be stuck in the rut...

Do you enjoy life in general?
Sounds like you don't allow yourself room to breath... It may be productive to think out of the box and not let all your problems direct and inhibit your life, eg your workloads (I know all about it..)

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 28 Aug 2016 18:44 #294458

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
startrekuser wrote on 28 Aug 2016 14:03:
I'm baal teshuva.  Ever since I got involved in the observant world, in my late 20s, I've always lived in a community that had kiruv.  In addition, the shuls I went to were kiruv shuls - Chabad and others.  I always felt at home in shul and really enjoyed going.  Recently my family and I moved to a "religious" neighborhood (it's been over 3 years now).  All the shuls are "religious" and mostly people with a "black-hat" yeshiva background.  I HATE HATE HATE living here.  I feel SO suffocated here.  It used to be that when I went to shul, I would feel uplifted.  Now, and I'm not trying to be dramatic, but when I leave shul, I often have suicidal thoughts.  I came really close one time to driving on shabbos so I could go to a shul I liked.  Why do I hate it here so much?  Is this normal?  Is there something wrong with me?  For sure, my observance has suffered since moving here.  I'm not inspired at all by torah or Judaism in general anymore.  In fact, I've lost most of my zest for living.  This is a major cry for help.  I've haven't spoken to anyone about this except for my wife and it only hurts our relationship to discuss this, so we don't speak about it anymore.  I keep it all inside.

I was prompted to revisit these feelings when Esther Jungreis passed away this last week.  I got started in observant Judaism by going to her classes.  Her class was very small when I started going and grew to by enormously popular.   I was hooked by her message from the first minute she started speaking.  She was inspiring.  I don't find anything about my community to be inspiring and it's a very nice community.  My rabbi is a extremely talented speaker and is a professional speaker.  His talks and classes rarely resonate with me, though.

ST,

I hear you. Frum neighborhoods can sometimes be like that, especially for someone used to kiruv. Can you get involved in some sort of chesed or kiruv?

And I definitely think it might be helpful to see someone and discuss these issues.

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 29 Aug 2016 01:20 #294468

• trinityofnow
  • Current streak: 100 days
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi startrekuser.  I'm new on here, and yours is the first post I opened. I feel unqualified to offer anything on here but I had a thought I felt like posting. I was on a 4 month streak last year from which I draw some lessons. If you don't mind sharing, how do you fail? My thought that if you keep your streak alive for at least 3 weeks ( the more the better) and further, you will notice the attitude of your wife change towards you. Something I felt like suggesting, you sound like a good guy.

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 29 Aug 2016 21:44 #294499

• Josephsbrother
  • Current streak: 926 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank my Creator for His Loving Kindnesss
startrekuser wrote on 22 Nov 2015 21:35:
I fell over and over again and didn't want to face reality in here or anywhere. Now I'm depressed. My marriage is peaceful but not good in my opinion. There's essentially no physical relationship from my wife and hasn't been for years. There is sex but it's not intimate at all. She's not interested in intimacy. She NEVER does any of the following:
1. touch me
2. let me kiss her on the lips
3. cuddle with me
4. says she loves me
Things are not good in the bedroom so to speak. The alternative, which I'm trying to avoid, is far more satisfying. I have a more intimate relationship with my pet cat. She'll at least cuddle with me and responds when I pet her. I crave any attention from other women b/c I feel SO LONELY. I recently travelled for a work convention and had an opportunity to ask a single woman for a drink and it took every ounce of my willpower to not do it. I think about that incident every day.

I don't see any way to improve this marriage.

Last night she told me that she thinks are marriage is a joke and that I don't care about her feelings. I asked her to tell me a recent example and she came up with one that I thought was legit, but not really big at all. I had already apologized for the incident. She says she doesn't trust me, so she can't love me and that implies no physical relationship. I wish I had never married her.

By the way, I treat my wife like a queen.

I recently read a daily lift from Aish HaTorah that discusses people that are ultra-sensitive and it says their lives are unlivable.

Here's the full text and I think this is the best description of my wife that I've ever heard:

Three types of people live an unlivable life: those who are overly compassionate, overly irritable, or overly sensitive (Pesachim 113b).
Why is being overly sensitive so unlivable? If we sustain a severe sunburn, we avoid contact with other people, because what would normally be a friendly pat on the back or a gentle caress can cause exquisite pain.
Our emotions can become as overly sensitive as our skin, and things which would otherwise be neutral, if not pleasant, may be very painful. To avoid being hurt, we may withdraw from human contact or set up other barriers to communication.
The ego is the source for this touchiness. When people's egos become inflated, they feel superior to others and imagine that they deserve more recognition. No amount of recognition is sufficient, however, and other people's innocent comments or actions are misinterpreted as insults or slights.
Unlike sunburnt skin, ego-burnt emotions are not easily recognized. This lack of awareness may then cause these poor people to think that others intend to harm them. Such misinterpretations will make their lives unlivable.

Today I shall ...
try to avoid reacting reflexively to painful experiences, and try to understand that my discomfort may be due to my sensitivity rather than to others' behavior.

I have to go talk to someone.

Treating our woman like a queen, only counts if the rules of how the queen is to be treated, are rules made up by the queen, She knows how she need love, if you or I are the soul mate, we will learn, and do the things that please the queen, who's temple shall house our children to be, my wife give me hints, sometimes in joy, sometime is stress, they have wisdom for us, if we are working with the One of the universe.  Be still and know, Elohim, bless be he, and in this answer + came to me for my one partner, mate.
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 29 Aug 2016 23:57 #294504

• startrekuser
  • Expert Boarder
When I get involved in other activities, whether it's a Chabad event or something else, outside of my community, I feel better.  I'll probably never really enjoy this community.  We live here for the school for my daughter.

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 30 Aug 2016 00:17 #294507

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
I think if you're in a black hatter community you can find many friends by doing the same 

you know when in Rome...

Go ahead ask a few guys to learn with you a easy Perek. You'll be pleasantly surprised, you'll start feeling part of the pack

Just don't give up on first try, like many guys give up on sobriety on first try. Life is too precious to be disposable

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 06 Sep 2016 22:09 #294823

• startrekuser
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the advice.  I've given up on deriving my happiness from my community.  It is what it is.  It's not healthy to depend on my community for happiness.  I'll just be myself like I always have and relate to people like I always have, black hat or not.  I've been listening to a lot of Torah lectures during my commute.  In addition, I've made a point to find out what the Hebrew/Yiddish terms mean.  I feel much better about life.  I'm sober for 7 days.  I haven't been sober for that long for a long time.

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 06 Sep 2016 23:24 #294831

• Josephsbrother
  • Current streak: 926 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank my Creator for His Loving Kindnesss
startrekuser wrote on 29 Aug 2016 23:57:
When I get involved in other activities, whether it's a Chabad event or something else, outside of my community, I feel better.  I'll probably never really enjoy this community.  We live here for the school for my daughter.

use the things that count for you, these are the highest motivators for you, when you enjoy what you do, life is complete, and what struggle is there, For me it work with me seeking to from the inspirations that come to me, in the things I am able to do for family, friends, and strangers.
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 08 Sep 2016 01:20 #294894

• startrekuser
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks brother!  I'm up to 9 days!

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 18 Sep 2016 15:03 #295256

• startrekuser
  • Expert Boarder
I'm still good!  19 days!

Re: Struggling to get out of first week 18 Sep 2016 15:50 #295257

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
beautiful
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes