Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: MY STORY... 47191 Views

Re: MY STORY... 07 Mar 2016 20:54 #280599

• mesayin
  • Current streak: 50 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • הבא ליטהר מסייעין אותו
Sasha 2 wrote on 05 Mar 2016 18:26:
I have a random question,
Am i dreaming or this addiction is harder then other ones, for e.g. smoking, i know many guys who stopped smoking and of course it was hard for the first while but eventually they have no problem. Why is it that lusting is so much more difficult  then that? Is it because there are more triggers or its much more psychological then other addictions?
Anyone have an opinion?

Hi Sasha!

I can deliver some sources from the gemara, rishoinim and achroinim about this question.

However, just like the mashgiach of this forum said and you agreed upon, it doesn't really matter and it might actually hurt the sobriety.

We might say "Well, it's not problem if I act out, this is a hard thing to do anyway" or "It's human nature".

The main thing we have to do is KOTTCWLWOAOW (Keep On Trucking The Chasidisher Way Litfisher Way Or Any Other Way)
My thread/My story

Slogans and Sayings

Relapses and falling are inevitable, the challenge is getting up.

Tzaddikim are the not the ones that don't fall, they are the ones that fall constantly and get up constantly.

Feel free to contact me anytime through private message or chat.

Chizzuk emails by Rabbi Duvid Ashear shlita that can change your day subscribe now.

Check out my powerful tefila.

Depressed? Check out some of my jokes

Re: MY STORY... 09 Mar 2016 05:24 #280758

• otr-otr
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I think bc the pleasurable physical effects aee greater than the effects smoking has on the body, hence the more powerful addiction? Does that make  sense?  But it could be someone is just as addicted to cigs... i think mayne it depends  on the person... but i beliefe the BAD WORD REMOVEDa of- who cares, it doesn't matter  is a good one to adopt in this case, UNLESS you see it s
helping yu 2 delve into this. Agav, yu may find reviewing the steps helpful in getting your mind occupied with ssomething  else in those sitches..
  • I've never been one for signatures.. but sometimes people change
  • I'm seeking the life that I find manageable which may not be the life you find manageable. But let's make a deal. I want you to find yours and you want me to find mine even if they are different.

Re: MY STORY... 09 Mar 2016 09:13 #280780

• Sasha 2
  • Current streak: 19 days
  • Gold Boarder
I have to thank everyone for their ideas and input, i have to try some of them and see how it goes!

So far still clean taking it one day at a time, during the difficult times i just try not to think too much.
Feel free to email me anytime sanonym380380@gmail.com

Re: MY STORY... 09 Mar 2016 16:50 #280831

• shlomo24
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
I do not believe that any addiction is harder than the next one. If it is an addiction on the physical, emotional and spiritual level that is. Different people can have different experiences obviously, but we are kind of preaching to the choir because if we are on GYE then we obviously have a problem with lust.
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Email: iam24zman@gmail.com

Re: MY STORY... 09 Mar 2016 21:07 #280858

• doingtshuva
  • Platinum Boarder
Shlomo24 wrote on 09 Mar 2016 16:50:
I do not believe that any addiction is harder than the next one. If it is an addiction on the physical, emotional and spiritual level that is. Different people can have different experiences obviously, but we are kind of preaching to the choir because if we are on GYE then we obviously have a problem with lust.

It's worth listing.
guardyoureyes.com/GYEFiles/MP3s/DC/Rabbi%20Dr.%20Twerski%20-%20True%20meaning%20of%20powerlessness.mp3
 *  NO, It's not all or nothing, just every bit counts!
 *  I failed yesterday, and I might fail tomorrow. But just for today I'm going to give it a try.
 *  Being curios made me lust and get into trouble.

אָמַר רבי יוחנן: אֵבֶר קָטָן יֵשׁ לוֹ לָאָדָם, מַרְעִיבוֹ = שָׂבֵעַ, מַשְׂבִּיעוֹ = רָעֵב

Gye program + Handbook  -  Taphsik method  -  90 day chart  -  Ebooks  -  Shiurim  -  Rabbi Dr. Avraham Twerski  -  Recent topics on the Forum

Re: MY STORY... 10 Mar 2016 15:31 #280956

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
OTR wrote on 09 Mar 2016 05:24:
I think bc the pleasurable physical effects aee greater than the effects smoking has on the body, hence the more powerful addiction? Does that make  sense?  But it could be someone is just as addicted to cigs... i think mayne it depends  on the person... but i beliefe the BAD WORD REMOVEDa of- who cares, it doesn't matter  is a good one to adopt in this case, UNLESS you see it s
helping yu 2 delve into this. Agav, yu may find reviewing the steps helpful in getting your mind occupied with ssomething  else in those sitches..

I see there was something in my post that was removed.. I am not sure what I had written, but I really aplogize, i think i meant to write the word "Point" as that is what I meant to say. Maybe I was typing from a tablet and autocorrect put in something wrong? if I DID write something intentionally wrong, I really apologize... 
  • I'm seeking the life that I find manageable which may not be the life you find manageable. But let's make a deal. I want you to find yours and you want me to find mine even if they are different.

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 02:22 #281015

• shlomo24
  • Platinum Boarder
u wrote the word shi|ta it thinks its a bad word
If you're an LGBTQ or LGBTQ-questioning person and looking for someone who can understand you, feel free to reach out. I promise no judgement and to try and listen the best I can. 

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 02:23 #281016

• shlomo24
  • Platinum Boarder
i have heard that before. sex and lust are different things, doesn't make the addiction harder

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 07:42 #281043

• Sasha 2
  • Gold Boarder
Shlomo24 wrote on 11 Mar 2016 02:23:
i have heard that before. sex and lust are different things, doesn't make the addiction harder

Can you explain please?

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 15:26 #281067

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder

That is hillarious. I was scared for a second I thought I must have really bothered someone.... Hope i didn't get reported for writing shi... umm... "opinion" LOLOL

Sasha, If I get what Shlomo is saying, it's that lust is the part where our internal drives and the natural desires, reproductive abilities etc.. are subjugated to filling other needs that they were never intended to. 

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 16:51 #281073

• shlomo24
  • Platinum Boarder
Sasha 2 wrote on 11 Mar 2016 07:42:

Can you explain please?

Sex is a god-given trait in order so we survive. Sex is good inherently. It is the union between man and woman on many levels, more then just physical. It is an act that creates, it creates bonds, connection, children etc. There is nothing wrong with sex and in fact it is a very spiritual and meaningful act.

However, just like many other survival instincts, it can be used in the wrong way. When sex is used to take, not to give, when sex is all about what I can get out of this, then it is unnatural. Selfishly using sex is called lust. Lust breaks bonds and destroys connections. I know that when I acted out with other men, I didn't give a sh*t about the other guy. I wanted to get the most pleasurable experience that I could get, while using him to help me get that. When I used to masturbate, I was using myself to get a pleasurable experience out of it. I was turning my own body and self into an object. Even marital sex can be lustful, if one is just using the other partner as a lust object. 

So what R' Twersky says about complete sobriety, that is true that an Alcoholic can completely stop drinking. But that doesn't make a Sexaholic any worse, even if he has marital sex. Sex is not our problem, lust is. Some people can attain sexual sobriety easier than drug or alcohol sobriety and others vice versa. But I don't believe that any addiction is harder then the other. It is very subjective. Hell, half the psychological world doesn't even believe that there is such an addiction as sex addiction.

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 17:56 #281075

• mesayin
  • Current streak: 50 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • הבא ליטהר מסייעין אותו
Well since we are continuing anyway with this discussion.

Ayin gemara chagiga 11a
Ayin ohr hachaim parshas achrei mois perek 18 posuk 2

And plenty of other sources that this is the hardest addiction.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter!

Let's keep on (Obvious word removed) whether it's the hardest or not the hardest.
My thread/My story

Slogans and Sayings

Relapses and falling are inevitable, the challenge is getting up.

Tzaddikim are the not the ones that don't fall, they are the ones that fall constantly and get up constantly.

Feel free to contact me anytime through private message or chat.

Chizzuk emails by Rabbi Duvid Ashear shlita that can change your day subscribe now.

Check out my powerful tefila.

Depressed? Check out some of my jokes

Re: MY STORY... 11 Mar 2016 20:49 #281094

• otr-otr
  • Platinum Boarder
Shlomo24 wrote on 11 Mar 2016 16:51:

Sasha 2 wrote on 11 Mar 2016 07:42:

Can you explain please?

Hell, half the psychological world doesn't even believe that there is such an addiction as sex addiction.

I'm willing to wager a LOT that a large bulk of those psychological professionals are masturbating daily and convincing themselves that it is ok. Because if it's not they are not OK. I have noticed in myself that when I am acting out, I have many more 'questions' about whether it really is harmful or not. Many more reasons why it's not really that bad..... Paychologists in my book are not necesarily an authority to be reckoned with. 

Re: MY STORY... 13 Mar 2016 11:11 #281159

• Sasha 2
  • Gold Boarder
Shlomo24, OTR:
Thanks for explaining, i get it

Re: MY STORY... 13 Mar 2016 12:00 #281167

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
OTR wrote:

Shlomo24 wrote:

Sasha 2 wrote:

Shlomo24 wrote:

Can you explain please?

Hell, half the psychological world doesn't even believe that there is such an addiction as sex addiction.

I'm willing to wager a LOT that a large bulk of those psychological professionals are masturbating daily and convincing themselves that it is ok. Because if it's not they are not OK. I have noticed in myself that when I am acting out, I have many more 'questions' about whether it really is harmful or not. Many more reasons why it's not really that bad..... Paychologists in my book are not necesarily an authority to be reckoned with. 

I like how you hit the nail on the head and called them paycologists
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes