Welcome, Guest

Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 9906 Views

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 19 May 2023 10:48 #395913

• richtig
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 19 May 2023 03:00:
I really appreciated what Cord wrote, and the greater clarification and understanding through reading what the others [esp Grant] have written. There's a lot of thoughtfulness here. It's special.

I think that all of the years of struggling with myself, examining thoughts and feeling, rethinking and questioning myself and examining life deeply - this has all contributed to making my internal life more developed than maybe it would be otherwise. Big silver lining! There's a lot going on inside of me, always. Sometimes its a crazy zoo, but there's no lack of content.

I feel that in a lot of you too. It's part of makes me very glad that I'm here now, and what makes me realize that I have a lot to learn from people here. 

Quick thought- Mark Twain supposedly said "quitting smoking is easy! I've done it hundreds of times..."
I can make a short-term decision about change based on my Sechel knowing what's right.
That's not a change in the essential makeup of who I am.
Who I am is deeply rooted in what my Ratzon is. How do I change what I want? Wanting to not want doesn't translate.

I successfully stopped smoking after many years. After trying to stop for a while. [I wasn't a truly big smoker ever, admittedly, but it was enough that I couldn't really stop.] It happened one day when I realized that I had a deep desire to Be A NON-Smoker. I had a strong Ratzon for the lifestyle, the affect, the positive essence of being free from smoking. I acted on it and its many years BH

I am afraid that I have not yet found, in a deep part f me, a full Ratzon to be a person who is fully clean. Thats a thought that brings me sadness and shame.
But maybe now the Ratzon that brought me to take these steps is the ray of pure light I have been awaiting. I hope so. I Daven that it will be so. Ken Yehi Ratzon.

I resonated with this, too, also having guilted myself, shamed myself, been surprised at at how such a ... could be doing this, and while it may have helped short-term (or maybe not) it hasn't been enough. Far from it. I am sure a lot of us here have been oisek in all kinds of Torah about kedusha, perhaps giving shiurim in it. It has not been enough. As you say, "knowing" is not the same as "being". We may know that when we daven we are omed bifnei Hashem, but that doesn't mean we act like it. I have a hard time when people say (including ourselves) why we "should" stop- we probably know that. For me, and it sounds the same for you- the question is why do I "want" to stop. And that I have to find and develop in myself (perhaps with others' help, but I think it is a personal search, even if the results end up being common with others). Makom for a nice maaracha on this.
Last Edit: 19 May 2023 10:55 by richtig.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 19 May 2023 13:14 #395917

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 458 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a close childhood friend who is a serious drug addict, nebach. It's a complete Nes that he is still alive. Been in dozens of rehabs, clean on and off, successes and failures with all sort of methods, ups and downs. He's clean, for now, BH. [I am actually talking about a friend here, not myself :)]

He once told me: "Instead of everyone trying to explain to me why drugs are destroying my life, maybe they should be asking, maybe I should be asking myself what is it that the drugs are doing FOR me. In what way are they providing for me a solution ?"

Serious food for thought.

I realized today during Davening that we go from asking for Daas, in order to see our problems, to Hashiveinu, to come close to be able to then take the next step of asking for Slicha and Mechila. Then we ask for Geula from that which is more powerful than us, and subsequently refua....

Ken Yehi Ratzon.
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 19 May 2023 13:59 #395919

• richtig
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 19 May 2023 13:14:
I have a close childhood friend who is a serious drug addict, nebach. It's a complete Nes that he is still alive. Been in dozens of rehabs, clean on and off, successes and failures with all sort of methods, ups and downs. He's clean, for now, BH. [I am actually talking about a friend here, not myself :)]

He once told me: "Instead of everyone trying to explain to me why drugs are destroying my life, maybe they should be asking, maybe I should be asking myself what is it that the drugs are doing FOR me. In what way are they providing for me a solution ?"

Serious food for thought.

I realized today during Davening that we go from asking for Daas, in order to see our problems, to Hashiveinu, to come close to be able to then take the next step of asking for Slicha and Mechila. Then we ask for Geula from that which is more powerful than us, and subsequently refua....

Ken Yehi Ratzon.

R' chaim, your friend expressed my thoughts, and I would add that a standard part of therapy treatment for drug addicts and alcoholics is uncovering what substances did for them.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 19 May 2023 21:48 #395931

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
So I talked at length to one of the Lamed Vavniks on this site. And I feel like a large burden has been lifted.
I know it won't be easy, because the Aibishter put me here to work, and I will have to repair damage that I have done. But that was a big step in the right direction, I hope.

If I am going to be honest, as I promised to be, I gotta admit that your post, Cord, was part of the push to do it. I don't like to back down from a challenge

Chevra, Gutten Shabbos KODESH

In this week of Malchus, I'm feeling that Yismichu Bimalchuscha pehaps mean me being Sameach that we aren't out here on our own, struggling along as biological organisms in an hollow and meaningless void, but rather we are creations with purpose, we have a role to fill in the orchestrat hat Hakdosh Boruch Hu is Conducting in his magnificent Briya. Maybe I'll be able to play my part right, after all.

Ken Yehi Ratzon

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 21 May 2023 05:46 #395946

chaimoigen wrote on 19 May 2023 21:48:
So I talked at length to one of the Lamed Vavniks on this site. And I feel like a large burden has been lifted.
I know it won't be easy, because the Aibishter put me here to work, and I will have to repair damage that I have done. But that was a big step in the right direction, I hope.

If I am going to be honest, as I promised to be, I gotta admit that your post, Cord, was part of the push to do it. I don't like to back down from a challenge

Chevra, Gutten Shabbos KODESH

In this week of Malchus, I'm feeling that Yismichu Bimalchuscha pehaps mean me being Sameach that we aren't out here on our own, struggling along as biological organisms in an hollow and meaningless void, but rather we are creations with purpose, we have a role to fill in the orchestrat hat Hakdosh Boruch Hu is Conducting in his magnificent Briya. Maybe I'll be able to play my part right, after all.

Ken Yehi Ratzon

I don't often post on other people's threads, but I must make an exception here to tell you this: the raw honesty and grit that you've displayed in this thread is literally (and that word gets overused just a tad in today's world) inspirational. Good to know that yet another incredible fighter has joined the troops.
Wishing you nothing but continued Hatzlacha. Keep fighting, stay strong. Kol Tuv.
"It ain't about how hard you hit.
It's about how hard you can GET hit,
and keep moving forward,
how much you can TAKE,
and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done!"

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 21 May 2023 18:53 #395962

• eerie
  • Current streak: 720 days
  • Platinum Boarder
POWERFUL INSPIRATION! Reb Chaim, you will no doubt be a truly valuable asset to GYE! Onward and upward!
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 22 May 2023 03:54 #395992

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Chevra. The sense of being in this together is tremendous. 

When I said Hallel this morning I felt a lot better about saying "Anah Hashem Ki Ani Avadacheh".
I'm working on it, and that means that who I am is an Eved, imperfect as I may be. 

Those words are followed immediately with ...."Pitachta Limoseiroy".
I pronounced it as a Tefilla: Please, Rebono Shel Olam, open up all these bonds that are holding me back... 

I was feeling a bit down a little later. Thinking how sad it is that I'm only up to a small count of personal days at this point in the Omer.
But then I realized it would be much sadder if I wasn't counting! Boruch Hashem I'm here, and we're counting together.
We will get there, with the Rebono Shel Olam's help!

Ken Yehi Ratzon

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 22 May 2023 23:00 #396034

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
So I took the plunge.
I went and met the Tzaddik I spoke with last week.
I had a thousand good reasons not to go and meet just yet. maybe in a week or two. [...I can be persuasive...]
But none of the reasons were able to answer the question my heart asked me: "Do you really mean to change, or is it just a lot of pretty talk? If yes, prove it. Now."

So i did it. I feel like I have entered a different world.

Chevra: The online world is a fake, fantasy universe. Reality is suspended. Hours of history can be erased or hidden. Posts can be modified. Reality is a pretty mask on a rotting corpse, malleable and subjective and dizzying as the glowing pixels on a screen to tired eyes in the wee hours, endlessly scrolling to oblivion. Here on GYE it is better, but still......

I met a real person [He was SO REAL]. I am a real person to him. He knows my name. He gave me a genuine hug.
I am going to be accountable to him.
I am going to be accountable to ME. I feel like I landed in reality.

Rebono Shel Olam, I think ....I might really be able to do this..... please.....
Please help me not to lose this chance.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 22 May 2023 23:33 #396046

• eerie
  • Current streak: 720 days
  • Platinum Boarder
My friend, I think you just discovered that Cords really got you all along! You know, I don't know how, but he has a good nose and can smell a candidate, you very quickly saw the truth in that the forum is great, but as a springboard to real open connection. Keep trucking, my friend! 
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 23 May 2023 02:06 #396061

• horizon
  • Gold Boarder
wow. i just got a good dose of קנאת סופרים.
hatzlacha

טאטע טאטע טאטע איך וויל זיין, יא איך וויל זיין, א ירא שמים

my forum

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 23 May 2023 02:23 #396063

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 22 May 2023 23:00:
So I took the plunge.
I had a thousand good reasons not to go and meet just yet. maybe in a week or two. [...I can be persuasive...]
But none of the reasons were able to answer the question my heart asked me: "Do you really mean to change, or is it just a lot of pretty talk? If yes, prove it. Now."

Chevra: The online world is a fake, fantasy universe. Reality is suspended. Hours of history can be erased or hidden. Posts can be modified. Reality is a pretty mask on a rotting corpse, malleable and subjective and dizzying as the glowing pixels on a screen to tired eyes in the wee hours, endlessly scrolling to oblivion. Here on GYE it is better, but still......

I met a real person [He was SO REAL]. I am a real person to him. He knows my name. He gave me a genuine hug.

Rebono Shel Olam, I think ....I might really be able to do this..... please.....

I sort of got a feel by now of who's a hit and run, and who is here for the long haul.

I gotta say I dig peg you as a keeper, but this pace is beyond amazing. 

Chaimoigen! Please do stick around!

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 23 May 2023 02:34 #396064

• richtig
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 22 May 2023 23:00:
So I took the plunge.

Thank you Chaim! You expressed some of my concerns, and took the plunge anyway. Maybe I will, too. I'm scared of a hug though. Maybe I am Victorian, or maybe something else.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 23 May 2023 04:07 #396072

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
Cordnoy, you have some excellent points on this thread, don’t keep laying low!!

Looking back, I believe you may have had a good 6th sense that our friend Chaim was ready to take the leap of faith from the get go.

The style of writing can give a  newcomer away to an unbridled moderator.

KOmT!!
My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 23 May 2023 23:02 #396113

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
Needed a little Chizzuk today, and picked it up over here. So I will try to return the favor.

I'll share what helped me take the plunge. Maybe it will help you a bit, if you're sitting on the fence.
Little less upbeat than my previous posts - going to show you some scars, here.

Over the years, I have learned all too well the bitter and foul taste that comes in the mouth when I once again succumb and sit to eat a big bite of rewarmed, unappetizing, and regurgitated regret. [ ככלב שב אל קיאו ] Tastes sick.

Yeah, I'm always trying hard to keep pushing myself along, getting a little better all the time, true.
Chizuk etc, one step at a time, etc: That's me.
I can give a whole inspirational Shiur on the topic. Maybe I even did. It was all true.
But the truth is - I'm so tired. I'm bone-weary of failure, of just doing the same thing all over again.
Getting even a bit numb to it all, and that, my friends, is the worst.
A little bit of deepdownYiyush is a dark tunnel, leading downawards. 

But now it's different. In the time that I have been here, I have read so many of your stories, I can now see new pathways, a new horizon.
I perceive a doorway where I honestly thought was only a dull brick wall.

I have hope again.

So I had to take the plunge before maybe I mess it up and maybe I lose this gift of a real chance to a path to that horizon that is beckoning to me, clear and brilliant blueness, pure warm daylight streaked with breathtakingly white clouds of Tahara .... I can see it for the first time in way too long I have hope again.
I won't I can't I DARE not lose this delicate thread whose end I am holding, now that it know that maybe, with Hashem's help, it may actually lead me out of this labyrinth.

So while I have this thread of hope, this daring feeling, - I was - I am - going to do whatever I can to nail it down. To paint myself in this corner. To take a dose of real world and make it all real. To wedge the door open with a brick of truth, before I can let it swing shut (like i maybe have before).  So far it's still open, BH BH.

I think maybe you should try it too.

Re: Thought I wouldn't need to ask for help 24 May 2023 00:42 #396118

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You oigen are seeing real chaim.

Keep it up!
Time to create page: 0.77 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes