Welcome, Guest

Chooseurnames 90 day trip
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 13749 Views

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 08 Oct 2024 23:31 #422989

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 523 days
  • Platinum Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 08 Oct 2024 21:24:
Loved the video GYE has for their campaign. Give back to the community and d$nate! If you can't donate - give back to the community and join a vaad!

Anyway. All's good here. Neder I previously referenced has been matir'ed. So that's a weight off my shoulders.

Work without little GYE breaks is super boring. On the other hand, work without little GYE breaks results in a lot more work getting done apparently. 

Skipping over Yom Kippur, because that's kinda heavy. I have a question about Simchas Torah.

Anyone else have an absurd amount of trouble on Simchas Torah when they pull down the mechitzah so the women can watch the men dance for some reason? 

Watching men walk around in a circle cannot be exciting. I just don't believe it. I don't understand why it's a good idea for anyone.

There's a great story with the Mir post-Holocaust. The women were standing in shul simchas torah and a certain Rav complained to R' Chatzkel that it wasn't tznuis. He got very upset at the Rav and told him not to interfere. He explained the bochurim need to get married. 
Which explains why single women should watch hakafos in yeshiva but not why married women need to be sitting there all dolled up right next to the hakafos. 

Regardless, I hate hakafos for many reasons. So it is convenient that there ain't no women making it to the 35 second vasikin minyan hakafos. But this is a longstanding grouch I've had.

Nice grouch. 
There’s actually a reason Al Pi Sod that there’s no Mechitza by a Chuppa and by Hakafos on Simchas Torah. Doesn’t mean that wandering eyes aren’t a problem…. 

A shul with a balcony is a better solution, methinks than 35 second Vasikin Grinchy Hakafos…. Or a Yeshiva…
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 02:36 #423003

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 540 days
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 08 Oct 2024 23:31:

chosemyshem wrote on 08 Oct 2024 21:24:
Loved the video GYE has for their campaign. Give back to the community and d$nate! If you can't donate - give back to the community and join a vaad!

Anyway. All's good here. Neder I previously referenced has been matir'ed. So that's a weight off my shoulders.

Work without little GYE breaks is super boring. On the other hand, work without little GYE breaks results in a lot more work getting done apparently. 

Skipping over Yom Kippur, because that's kinda heavy. I have a question about Simchas Torah.

Anyone else have an absurd amount of trouble on Simchas Torah when they pull down the mechitzah so the women can watch the men dance for some reason? 

Watching men walk around in a circle cannot be exciting. I just don't believe it. I don't understand why it's a good idea for anyone.

There's a great story with the Mir post-Holocaust. The women were standing in shul simchas torah and a certain Rav complained to R' Chatzkel that it wasn't tznuis. He got very upset at the Rav and told him not to interfere. He explained the bochurim need to get married. 
Which explains why single women should watch hakafos in yeshiva but not why married women need to be sitting there all dolled up right next to the hakafos. 

Regardless, I hate hakafos for many reasons. So it is convenient that there ain't no women making it to the 35 second vasikin minyan hakafos. But this is a longstanding grouch I've had.

Nice grouch. 
There’s actually a reason Al Pi Sod that there’s no Mechitza by a Chuppa and by Hakafos on Simchas Torah. Doesn’t mean that wandering eyes aren’t a problem…. 

A shul with a balcony is a better solution, methinks than 35 second Vasikin Grinchy Hakafos…. Or a Yeshiva…

מוצאי יו"ט ירדו...... ומתקנין שם תיקון גדול
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 20:57 #423044

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Bennyh wrote on 08 Oct 2024 23:28:
There’s a minyan in my area that does hakafos on simchas torah mournfully, like by a levaya, with lamentations instead of songs — aching over the עלבונה של תורה on this special day. The women are clad in black headscarves and sackloths and they keep the mechitza tightly shut. PM me for details.

I feel like you're just teasing but I want that in my life. 

Anyway, it sounds like most shul's simchas torah last year.

#ThatGotRealTooFast

@chaimOigen this is "al pi sod" like a Frankist type of sod? Or a real sod?

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 21:16 #423045

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Anyway. An update unrelated to my simchas torah grinchiness.

Had some urges today. Nothing major but I caught myself searching for some content. Stopped before it got anywhere.

That's nothing really new (though it's been a quiet couple weeks). 

What surprised me was that with being almost halfway to 90 and all this vaad organizing (obligatory reminder that you can still join!) I apparently started thinking of myself as someone who knows what he's doing. Twas a helpful reminder that I'm the same me who made these dumb decisions for all these years, and I need to keep on doing what works if I want to stay clean. 

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 23:14 #423048

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 09 Oct 2024 20:57:

Here’s a pro tip for you, babe. Guys who really know Toras Hanistar neva neva tell….
Last Edit: 09 Oct 2024 23:16 by chaimoigen.

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 23:16 #423049

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 09 Oct 2024 21:16:
Anyway. An update unrelated to my simchas torah grinchiness.

Had some urges today. Nothing major but I caught myself searching for some content. Stopped before it got anywhere.

That's nothing really new (though it's been a quiet couple weeks). 

What surprised me was that with being almost halfway to 90 and all this vaad organizing (obligatory reminder that you can still join!) I apparently started thinking of myself as someone who knows what he's doing. Twas a helpful reminder that I'm the same me who made these dumb decisions for all these years, and I need to keep on doing what works if I want to stay clean. 

I love this post. 
But only because along with the slice of reality sandwich came the last sentence. 

Life is beautiful. And so are you. 

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 09 Oct 2024 23:36 #423051

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
chaimoigen wrote on 09 Oct 2024 23:14:

chosemyshem wrote on 09 Oct 2024 20:57:

Here’s a pro tip for you, babe. Guys who really know Toras Hanistar neva neva tell….

Aren't you supposed to follow statements like that with "vhameivin yavin"
I wouldn't know though 
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 20:56 #423400

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Checking in.

Still clean. 

Little bit  Lot a bit nervous - idk the last time I made it through the whole succos and chol hamoed. And I've got some other reasons I feel now will be harder too.

But despite all that it definitely feels different this year.

Trying to keep my head down and take it ODAAT. Been super busy with all the work I'm missing for yom tov. Busy is good and out of trouble bh.

Trying to stay busy, focus on doing succos right, and stay out trouble (friendly reminder that simchas yom tov is a mitzvah deoraisa and you oughta be spending at least as much on basar v'yayin and $wag for your wife as you blew on that aleph aleph plus chazon ish double pitom venti mocha esrog).

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 21:01 #423403

• Bennyh
  • Platinum Boarder
And don’t forget what the Gaon said, that simchas yom tov is the hardest mitzva to achieve; to constantly be besimcha without hesech hadaas. What’s your strategy for being mekayem this mitzva?

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 21:10 #423404

• foolie
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Bennyh wrote on 15 Oct 2024 21:01:
And don’t forget what the Gaon said, that simchas yom tov is the hardest mitzva to achieve; to constantly be besimcha without hesech hadaas. What’s your strategy for being mekayem this mitzva?

I believe a couple of nuclear bombs and some time to mediate in peace and quiet without the affront of the rest of humanity might do the trick for that one
I will give battle Sir- General George Meade (Army of the Potomac)
Nuts!- General Anthony McAuliffe (101st Airborne)
Lets Get Dangerous! - Darkwing Duck
You’ll need to raise the ante and negotiate- Rechnitzer Rejects
I'm fresh out of essential truths- Spock
Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person - David Rossi
Last Edit: 15 Oct 2024 21:11 by foolie.

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 21:13 #423405

• Bennyh
  • Platinum Boarder
I don’t know, this is my biggest sukkos stress. Need some practical tips.

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 21:16 #423406

• foolie
  • Current streak: 4 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Have a car and your own sukkah is a good start
I will give battle Sir- General George Meade (Army of the Potomac)
Nuts!- General Anthony McAuliffe (101st Airborne)
Lets Get Dangerous! - Darkwing Duck
You’ll need to raise the ante and negotiate- Rechnitzer Rejects
I'm fresh out of essential truths- Spock
Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person - David Rossi

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 15 Oct 2024 22:18 #423411

• chaimoigen
  • Platinum Boarder

And don’t forget what the Gaon said, that simchas yom tov is the hardest mitzva to achieve; to constantly be besimcha without hesech hadaas. What’s your strategy for being mekayem this mitzva?I'm not sure if you're being facetious or serious. I'll answer assuming that you're being serious. 

Not sure how it works for someone struggling with depression. 
- Thinking about you a lot, actually....

As for me, I know that I wont be able to make it to be Bisimcha the whole time.

But I try to do what I can.

I try to focus on the minute, in the minute. Try tp prepare brfore I come in the door.

Try not to sweat the small stuff , keep the big picture in sight. Family, HKBH, Avoda.

I love the Sukka, so that helps. 

Simcha means wholeheartedness. Not bubbly joy. (Many rayos to this idea - it's a big topic.) That helps a lot.  
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2024 01:17 by chaimoigen.

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 16 Oct 2024 09:03 #423422

• Muttel
  • Current streak: 165 days
  • Platinum Boarder
This post was super helpful, R’ Chaim, thank you. Going to keep that in mind. Bh, I have so much to be thankful for (as do we all), and GYE has enabled me to focus on other things in life. I have my fair share of stresses and difficulties, but so much good to focus on. Wholeheartedness is something I can do part of the time (hopefully) and will definitely put a stress on (not to stress over it though). 

Thank you all for being here and providing such amazing support!

Muttel
We're in this struggle together; feel free to reach out! 
Muttel15@gmail.com

Feel free to call/text! (908) 251-9590 (google)

Check out my thread here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/413043-My-ENTIRE-story#413043

Re: Chooseurnames 90 day trip 16 Oct 2024 16:43 #423438

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Bennyh wrote on 15 Oct 2024 21:01:

Some sh*tos hold it's doing the actions that bring you to joy, (as defined in the gemara). So if you have your wine and meat then according to many, you are yotzei a mitzvah deoraissa. I rely on this sh*ta Which is why I spent more on wine than my esrog. 

Feeling joy is harder. A wise man once said something along the lines of "yuntif ain't for wimps." It's hard, long days. 

I'm maskim to CO's stoic philosophy of ignoring the kids spilling honey on your new suit, give up on everything external, surrender your hopes for a nap after you spent the whole night sleeping on basically a plank of wood, and focus on the inner joy of living in hashem's house (at least that's how I interpret his post). I've never pulled it off, which is why instead I'm fully stocked on sour candy, chips, meat, strong wine, and oral tobacco.

Here's hoping to joyful days, warmth in the succah, and cold streets outside it.
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2024 16:44 by chosemyshem.
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes