Welcome, Guest

My filter failed & so did I
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: My filter failed & so did I 3099 Views

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Jan 2021 20:32 #361918

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 25 Jan 2021 18:17:
Great point.
So how are you doing?

B"H ...  do you want exact status??
I had a fall with *P 16 days ago
I had a fall with *M  23 years ago
get the picture?
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Jan 2021 23:05 #361928

I think the subject of your posts is wrong.

Yes, your filter failed. That I agree with. But did you fail? No! You just stumbled. You can still regain your balance and keep on running to that finish line. But judging by your current streak, maybe you already knew that. Congrats on 16 days clean!!

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Jan 2021 23:33 #361936

• Striving Avreich
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
#makelifegreatagain wrote on 25 Jan 2021 23:05:
I think the subject of your posts is wrong.

Yes, your filter failed. That I agree with. But did you fail? No! You just stumbled. You can still regain your balance and keep on running to that finish line. But judging by your current streak, maybe you already knew that. Congrats on 16 days clean!!

I really like this.
@DavidT you may have fallen but you haven't failed

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Jan 2021 23:56 #361941

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
DavidT wrote on 25 Jan 2021 20:32:

Great point.
So how are you doing?

get the picture?

I understand, Bh.
Was asking like how ur holding up/feeling etc

Re: My filter failed & so did I 26 Jan 2021 02:22 #361950

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 25 Jan 2021 23:56:

DavidT wrote on 25 Jan 2021 20:32:

Great point.
So how are you doing?

get the picture?

I understand, Bh.
Was asking like how ur holding up/feeling etc

Thanks for asking.  I'm feeling great and holding up with the help of Hashem.  My fall was a reminder that as long as we live we can't let our guard down for a second.  The yetzer horah does not sleep for some reason...
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"

Re: My filter failed & so did I 26 Jan 2021 03:54 #361960

• realestatemogul
  • Current streak: 1290 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The yetzer hara definitely does not sleep! I have found that out many times, lol. 

But you know what really scares the y''h? When people like you come on GYE even after a fall and say, "I AINT SCARED OF YOU!" 

You are really an inspiration. What makes people great is their ability to keep going when the tough gets tough, and you are really flexing your muscles!

Keep up the great work and please keep us updated and let us know if we can help!

Re: My filter failed & so did I 26 Jan 2021 14:57 #361977

Realestatemogul wrote on 26 Jan 2021 03:54:
[...]
But you know what really scares the y''h? When people like you come on GYE even after a fall and say, "I AINT SCARED OF YOU!" 
[...]

I agree, @Realestatemogul. I would, however, change the wording if we are to look at the Yetzer Hara as a messenger from Hashem to test us and to help us grow. From "you know what really scares the y"h?" to "you know what really makes the y"h nod in approval."

Re: My filter failed & so did I 26 Jan 2021 15:39 #361983

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
שבע יפול צדיק וקם wrote on 26 Jan 2021 14:57:

Realestatemogul wrote on 26 Jan 2021 03:54:
[...]
[...]

I agree, @Realestatemogul. I would, however, change the wording if we are to look at the Yetzer Hara as a messenger from Hashem to test us and to help us grow. From "you know what really scares the y"h?" to "you know what really makes the y"h nod in approval."

The yetzer hara has a very bad reputation. It is said about him that he wants to destroy us. This is wrong. In truth, the yetzer hara wants us to conquer him, and he is very happy when we defeat him.

The purpose of the yetzer hara is hasagas hatov, attaining the good. It must be that way, since the yetzer hara is dispatched by Hashem, the Source of all-good. Thus, the yetzer hara himself testifies that the essence of reality is, ultimately, goodness, even thought it might appear otherwise at times. By his actions, the yetzer hara is pointing us toward the truth — we just have to do the opposite of what he tells us. In effect, therefore, says the Alter, the yetzer hara is really the yetzer hatov in disguise.

Rabbi Dessler says that the purpose of the yetzer hara is to be defeated by goodness. Man must use his free will to choose correctly, thereby revealing the honor of Hashem. Light defeats darkness. When the angel said “for dawn has broken,” he meant that his purpose had been fulfilled — he had been defeated by goodness — and the time had come for this to be revealed in the universe. And so, the angel requested, “Let me go to sing that shirah.” Now that the angel had been defeated there was Shleimus in the world, as the Torah says, “And Yaakov arrived shalem [whole]”

Re: My filter failed & so did I 01 Feb 2021 06:31 #362448

• realestatemogul
  • Platinum Boarder
How are you doing DavidT? We are thinking of you friend! hope all is well!

Re: My filter failed & so did I 01 Feb 2021 16:31 #362475

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Realestatemogul wrote on 01 Feb 2021 06:31:
How are you doing DavidT? We are thinking of you friend! hope all is well!

Hi, thank you for asking. It helps so much to see other people care!
B"H I'm doing great. Day 24 today. 
We can never get comfortable with seeing a clean streak. Every day is the first day of the rest of our life. 

Re: My filter failed & so did I 08 Feb 2021 02:09 #362906

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you hashem for giving me 30 days clean...
I'll copy paste what I just got in the gye auto email...

Wow, 30 days. A whole month!

30 days is a significant amount of time that gives you a taste of what it feels like to be free. Maybe that’s why the Torah instructs a Nazir to have a minimum of 30 days clean. R’ Yochanan also taught that when doing something for 30 days, there is a chazakah that it will continue! (Talmud Yerushalmi Taanis 1:1 quoted in Shulchan Aruch 114:8)

However, you still need to take precautions. If you get lax and let down your guard, you might slip back into it. Make sure you’re your using all the resources at your disposal to stay on track.

Here’s a little thinking exercise: If someone would give you a million dollars to reach 90 days, is there anything else you would do to be more safe? Is there any way you’d improve your plan? If the answer is yes, go ahead and do it. Your life is priceless!

Re: My filter failed & so did I 11 Feb 2021 05:06 #363137

• realestatemogul
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you DavidT for staying strong! You give us all chizzuk!

You have been one of the people who I always look up to on GYE!

Re: My filter failed & so did I 11 Feb 2021 15:24 #363154

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
Realestatemogul wrote on 11 Feb 2021 05:06:
Thank you DavidT for staying strong! You give us all chizzuk!

You have been one of the people who I always look up to on GYE!

Feelings ae mutual

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Feb 2021 16:04 #364227

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
At first I was hesitant to share... After all I do have an ego 
I'm having a tough day today and when I become stressed, the urges start to bubble...
But isn't this the whole purpose of GYE? 

There’s a fire in Rav Amram’s house!

One time, some Jewish women who had been kidnapped and then released were brought to the city of Naharda'ah, in Babylonia. They were taken to the attic of Rav Amram the pious, and the ladder was taken away so that no men could climb up to bother them. One of the women was exceptionally beautiful. Rav Amram took the ladder—which was so heavy that ordinarily it would take 10 men to move it—and picked it up all by himself so that he could climb up. When he was halfway up, he braced himself and shouted, “There’s a fire in Rav Amram’s house!”

His students came running, and when they saw what he meant, they said, “We’re ashamed at seeing our teacher so consumed with physical desires!”

Rav Amram said, “It’s better for you to be ashamed by Amram in this world so that you won’t be ashamed by him in the next world.” He managed to expell his desire, which appeared in the form of a towering inferno. Said he to it, “Look, you are fire and I’m just flesh, but I am stronger than you.”

Re: My filter failed & so did I 25 Feb 2021 17:59 #364232

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Isn't it interesting that I hold you in even higher regard after reading that?

It's humorous how people act a certain way based on ego, and wanting people to view them in a certain light, when in reality people have more respect for them when seeing them not be controlled and influenced by such whimsical considerations.

Food for ththought. 
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes