Welcome, Guest

What's the number 90?
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's the number 90? 3453 Views

What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 04:36 #311670

• Kleen4real
  • Current streak: 553 days
  • Junior Boarder
I'm just curious from where the number "90 days" comes, is this a scientific study or is this from the Torah?

​In צעטיל קטן from Rabbi Elimelch of  Lizensk writes that it takes 40 days to break a habit.

הָאָדָם לֹא נִבְרָא בָּעוֹלָם רַק לְשַׁבֵּר אֶת הַטֶבַע לָכֵן יְזַרֵז אֶת עַצְמוֹ לְתַקֵן מִדוֹתָיו בִּשְׁנַת שְׁמוֹנָה עֶשְׂרֵה דַוְקָא כְּמוֹ שֶׁאֲבֵאֵר כְּגוֹן מִי שֶׁנוֹלַד בְּטֶבַע שֶׁל עַקְשָׁנוּת יְשַׁבֵּר אֶת טִבְעוֹ אַרְבָּעִים יוֹם רְצוּפִים לַעֲשׂוֹת דַוְקָא לְהֵיפֶךְ מִמַה שֶׁיַעֲלֶה בְּמַחְשַׁבְתּוֹ

So I'm just wondering.

Thanks and good night.

Re: What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 04:49 #311673

• Markz
  • Platinum Boarder
The wrote on 27 Apr 2017 04:36:
I'm just curious from where the number "90 days" comes, is this a scientific study or is this from the Torah?

​In צעטיל קטן from Rabbi Elimelch of  Lizensk writes that it takes 40 days to break a habit.

הָאָדָם לֹא נִבְרָא בָּעוֹלָם רַק לְשַׁבֵּר אֶת הַטֶבַע לָכֵן יְזַרֵז אֶת עַצְמוֹ לְתַקֵן מִדוֹתָיו בִּשְׁנַת שְׁמוֹנָה עֶשְׂרֵה דַוְקָא כְּמוֹ שֶׁאֲבֵאֵר כְּגוֹן מִי שֶׁנוֹלַד בְּטֶבַע שֶׁל עַקְשָׁנוּת יְשַׁבֵּר אֶת טִבְעוֹ אַרְבָּעִים יוֹם רְצוּפִים לַעֲשׂוֹת דַוְקָא לְהֵיפֶךְ מִמַה שֶׁיַעֲלֶה בְּמַחְשַׁבְתּוֹ

So I'm just wondering.

Thanks and good night.

פעם היה מישהו שאמר בצער לא׳ מגדולי הדור
״איי יא ייי! אני כבר הגעתי ל״בן ששים לזקנה״

ענה לו הרב. ״זכית לבן ארבעים לבינה? מצאת בינה?״

אמר לו ״לא״

אמר לו הרב ״א״כ אין לך לדאוג. יש לך זמן רב. עדיין לא השגת זקנה״. עד כאן המעשה.

כמו כן הספירה לצאת מיצה״ר שלנו ג״כ השתנה, וצריכים יותר ממ׳ יום

I hate trouble'ing people, but would it be at all possible to try stick to 1 thread and
not create multiple new threads

Simply post away on 1 thread ;-)

My Story---------Dov Quotes

FREE LUST TRUCK TOWING
Click HERE to checkout;
100 Day Success Stories: cordnoy, Dov, Gevura and more...
• Awesome Threads Saved for You
• Cast Your Vote

GYE Plenty Solutions
➣ The Mark of Torah - Lust Chizuk

➣ Nice Trucking Story
Last Edit: 27 Apr 2017 04:51 by Markz.

Re: What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 11:32 #311696

• Kleen4real
  • Junior Boarder
Markz wrote on 27 Apr 2017 04:49:

So I'm just wondering.

Thanks and good night.

אמר לו ״לא״

I hate trouble'ing people, but would it be at all possible to try stick to 1 thread and

Thanks Markz
But this didn't answer the question of the number "90"
your also more than welcome to join this with another thread.

Re: What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 12:22 #311701

• GrowStrong
  • Current streak: 2153 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • OMAAT
Kleen4real wrote on 27 Apr 2017 11:32:

So I'm just wondering.

Thanks and good night.

אמר לו ״לא״

Thanks Markz

Did some quick research
It seems 90 days was originally an AA mantra, in recent years there were studies by Yale university which seemed to prove it in various ways.
Maybe theres no steera since we are not trying to break a simple habit

Re: What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 15:03 #311709

• Kleen4real
  • Junior Boarder
GrowStrong wrote on 27 Apr 2017 12:22:

Kleen4real wrote on 27 Apr 2017 11:32:

So I'm just wondering.

Thanks and good night.

אמר לו ״לא״

Thanks Markz

Did some quick research
It seems 90 days was originally an AA mantra, in recent years there were studies by Yale university which seemed to prove it in various ways.
Maybe theres no steera since we are not trying to break a simple habit

Thanks much

Re: What's the number 90? 27 Apr 2017 20:38 #311756

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
30 days times 3 shmone esrehs a day equal 90 and thats when one can assume they said mashiv ho'ruach..... Not perfect because on Shabbos and Rosh Chodesh there is also mussaf. Dr Pelcowitz once spoke about this and said research shows after 90 times doing something there are actual changes in the brain. After all is said and done it's an attainable goal that many have BH done - but it must be one day at a time.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: What's the number 90? 28 Apr 2017 08:20 #311800

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Hashem Help Me wrote on 27 Apr 2017 20:38:
30 days times 3 shmone esrehs a day equal 90 and thats when one can assume they said mashiv ho'ruach..... Not perfect because on Shabbos and Rosh Chodesh there is also mussaf. Dr Pelcowitz once spoke about this and said research shows after 90 times doing something there are actual changes in the brain. After all is said and done it's an attainable goal that many have BH done - but it must be one day at a time.

I want to suggest that not just the performance (or lack) of an activity 90 times is entirely beneficial by itself.. there's a thing of being in a new way of thinking for an extended period of time. The "new" environment will influence you more than rattling off mashiv haruach 90 times in one day (where it's not so pashut to do and could actually make the safeik worse, how I remember the sugya).

As they say, time takes time.
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes