Welcome, Guest

Yaakov's Ladder
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Yaakov's Ladder 185195 Views

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 13 Oct 2014 18:36 #241257

• skeptical
You have something called insight and awareness. Those are very powerful tools.

You say you feel empty, lacking something. It's just a feeling that comes and goes, and it's ok to feel that way sometimes.

Just gotta ride it out and keep on trucking.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 13 Oct 2014 22:51 #241279

• ineedchizuk
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Gold Boarder
Davening for you, Yankel, for you to find simcha which should be nispashet till there's no 'empty' room left.

A gut moied!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 14 Oct 2014 14:10 #241312

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
Thank You all for all your support, through email, chats, and posts!!

I was thinking about the emptiness and, as someone (who shall remain nameless) wrote to me in an email

Nameless wrote:
....I am thinking that the feeling for me comes from an absence of a connection to Hashem....

I relate to that very much. That got me thinking about two really easy things that I can do to improve and build my "connection muscles".

1) Mindfulness (also known as meditation). To take 5 minutes a day and just live in the moment (there was a thread about it somewhere where someone posted about it)

2) I saw on the rules of Dov's Desparados, Dov wrote:
Rule 6 - We agree to take out at least 5 minutes every day to talk to Hashem - even if we feel it is not 'working'...

3) Staying in touch with friends DAILY!! That includes two things
  • Calling someone and speaking to them
  • Emailing at least two friends

I am opening a new thread to use as my "Checklist" and mark that I have done the aforementioned "exercises".

(I was gonna add "post", but if I have to post that I did the other three, then I have already taken care of posting!)
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 16:27 #241407

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I fell again last night and this morning, smaller ones on the scale, but falls none the less.

I had two insights through Yom Tov.

1) I was madly depressed on the first day of Yom Tov. I was HATING myself, hating my life, hating everything about me. Going down that train of thought used to end me up being terribly upset with Hashem as well, but this time it was quite different.

As the thought of "Hashem hates me" started to come, all of my GYE education kicked in and I couldn't help but realize that Hashem loves me just the way I am....it's ME who is upset with the way I am, it is me who is keeping myself miserable!!

The depression didn't lift right away, but it started from there and quicker than other times, it passed.

2) While I was talking to Hashem on Shabbos I was asking Him to help me on Motzei Shabbos, and I started saying "Even though I'm doing ok now, I know that it's so so so so......easy to get off track" After quite a few "so"s I realized that it's quite the opposite.

Default is that I will give in to temptation, default is that when a desire comes I have to satiate it! If I want to stay clean I have to actively go out of that stream, I have to constantly fight against the current!! That's why I'm here, malachim do the right thing by default, Hashem doesn't need me for that.

Starting Today again. It is very easily depressing, as I used to be doing so well......just gotta keep on trucking!!

There's only a little time left for the opportunity that I have here to have an unfiltered computer, I don't need to take advantage of it, not today.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 16:43 #241408

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
If I want to stay clean I have to actively go out of that stream, I have to constantly fight against the current!!

I respectfully disagree.

If I am an addict then I can no more fight my addiction than I can fight my hayfever.

(Incidentally I also can't neglect to take my anti-histamines and then try to stop myself sneezing.)

Step 1 is to stop fighting.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 16:58 #241411

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
No reason for despair . i am not sure how old you are. but i have been in the business

of falling and falling and retrying for way over 4 decades and only now i am starting

to see light at the end of the tunnel(yes the tunnel is still there ) . Just like HASHEM

IS ETERNAL so too HIS PATIENCE IS ETERNAL . and HIS LOVE IS ETERNAL .

Take your time , pick up all the pieces , reassemble yourself and think , think

about your strategies or the [points that make feel down or angry .

Please keep your cool , this is about mistakes and feedbacks and new strategies .

if you fight that in itself means victory , Not putting the fight up is definitely a

loser . אל תירא עבדי יעקב !

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 17:03 #241412

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
i agree with MR Watson when he wrote about stop fighting , he meant something .

when i wrote to continue the fight i meant something else . i think we both agree.

and i think it is clear for you too.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 18:04 #241417

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
John Watson wrote:
Pidaini wrote:
If I want to stay clean I have to actively go out of that stream, I have to constantly fight against the current!!

I respectfully disagree.

If I am an addict then I can no more fight my addiction than I can fight my hayfever.

(Incidentally I also can't neglect to take my anti-histamines and then try to stop myself sneezing.)

Step 1 is to stop fighting.

Thank You.

To clarify, I saw a very good quote somewhere, it reads "recovery=abstinence + change". I did not mean the fight against lust, I meant the fight of me doing something against my natural inclination. That is almost always what doing the right thing entails. To make he changes in life, to live more.

I guess I should go do some of that now. Bye!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 18:39 #241419

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
I meant the fight of me doing something against my natural inclination.

What is the 'something' you're fighting to do?

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 19:01 #241424

• skeptical
Wouldn't the action of taking the anti-histamines be fighting the histamines?

I don't get why people have conniptions every time someone mentions the word 'fighting,' b'derech moshul.
Last Edit: 19 Oct 2014 19:02 by skeptical.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 19:30 #241427

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
conniptions...Love that word!!

Fighting brings to (my) mind a person who is up against something big and him sweating and punching trying to remove the obstacle.

I don't think it always has mean that, fighting can also be in a calm, thought out, manner.

Learning, doing things for others, reaching out are all things that I don't like to do and they certainly don't come naturally. Going against my nature, the tide of my being, would constitute fighting my nature, with no implications. Just the simple fact that doing so is fighting the tide.

I think.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 19 Oct 2014 21:06 #241432

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:

1) I was madly depressed on the first day of Yom Tov. I was HATING myself, hating my life, hating everything about me.

I am in middle of reading this book on depression. The main thing he writes if to say to yourself a million times a day, "I love myself. I love myself. I love myself."

Think about it. If one of your GYE friends was going through a period of falling similar to yourself or worse, would you hate him? Or, would you love him?

Be just as kind to YOURSELF. and of course, kot.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 22 Oct 2014 12:11 #241727

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I have all the answers, I really do!! I'll spare you the entire thought process going through my depressed mind (you can read it in the spoiler if you want)

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

There's just one problem, Chazal have already told us that "Ein Hachavush matir es atzmo - The one who is tied up cannot untie himself". He may know very well how to untie the knots, he can explain it in great detail so much so that it can seem alive to those listening, but unless someone else comes and unties those knots that are binding the person to the chair.....he cannot get out.

I have been thinking all that, back and forth, for a few hours now, but it hasn't helped very much. When I decide that I have had enough, that I really want out, I'm gonna need others.

This is a start.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 23 Oct 2014 22:56 #241871

• cordnoy
Pidaini wrote:
It's not easy, very simple, but not easy. "Let go, and let Hashem". We have to learn to accept life as Hashem has given it to us and as much as He gives to us, we had plans upon plans upon plans built for us, and it's not the way we thought it would be, we have to let go of them and "surrender" our lives to Hashem as He sees fit. The ultimate result will be pure hapiness with no strings attached.

We're with you brother, you can do this!

One day at a time!!
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 24 Oct 2014 03:26 #241895

• kilochalu
  • Platinum Boarder
maybe it should be called Chutes and Ladders,
but really here the yeridos are letzorech aliyos and its all ladders
so
KOC(limbing)!
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes