Welcome, Guest

Navigating the ocean of my life
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Navigating the ocean of my life 4027 Views

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 05:04 #415309

• amevakesh
  • Current streak: 428 days
  • Gold Boarder
Today was a very special day for me. It demonstrated to me what the power of friends here at GYE can do. I posted yesterday that I anticipated a big challenge here in the sunny State of Florida today. I was being put into a situation that I had to partake in for two and a half hours, in the beautiful outdoors, something similar to an amusement park. I was thinking that it would be a situation of damage control, but I intended to give it my best shot. So, last night I thought that my post tonight would be something along the lines of this. "Today I was put in a compromised setting regarding my שמירת העינים, so I decided to use my גאוה to overcome my תאוה by posting about my plan. The plan was to buy dark sunglasses and use them instead of my regular ones, (I have a high prescription). I was inspired by choosmyshem's post about not using my glasses, and the plan was to cover up my act by using sunglasses instead." But I knew that I would probably still be taking sneak peaks here and there, but I would be able to consider it a (mostly) victorious day. 

But no less than 4 guys reached out to give me encouragement, some with text, some by calling. It caused a shift in my thinking and gave me the extra ooomph I needed to shift my approach from doing damage control to striving for something special. I made a decision that instead of doing battle with the YH, I would try my best to steer clear of him and try to avoid him at all costs. Now I deal with a severe case of "f.o.m.o", and I made a resolution that it's worth it to give up on being in the middle of it all and only do what was necessary for me to do, as my presence was needed there.

הבא לטהר מסייען אותו took on a new meaning for me, when I arrived at the place planning on taking on the YH and giving it my all, I arrived feeling nauseous and a little dizzy, and I thought to myself, perfect I can use the time to put my head down and take a rest. I did so for about a half an hour. Two hours to go. I looked around for a place to be that wouldn't be such a challenge, and I found a small area that looked like it could be a good hideout for me. I spent the next hour and 45 mins there where I felt safe, made some phone calls took care of a few things without needing to compromise my environment at all. For the last 15 mins, when I needed to get out my safety zone, I wore those sunglasses, and only put on my regular ones when I needed to look at something specific. Was I 100%? No, but it was pretty darn close. I left the place on a high. I thought it couldn't get better, but it did. The program I was with had something akin to a שמחת בית השואבה planned, but the feelings of קדושה that permeated that event were indescribable.

I can honestly say, that had the Oilam not reached out, it wouldn't have been the same. I don't think i would have fallen, but it would have been a measly win at best. Thank you 'ה for allowing me to achieve this special victory, and thank you friends at GYE for being His special שלוחים in making it happen.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 13:54 #415330

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Way too early in the morning to have the massive l'chaims this legendary victory calls for. But I am very joyfully having a coffee to celebrate this win!

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 14:39 #415335

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 517 days
  • Platinum Boarder
chosemyshem wrote on 18 Jun 2024 13:54:
Way too early in the morning to have the massive l'chaims this legendary victory calls for. But I am very joyfully having a coffee to celebrate this win!

Oirish Coffee anyone?
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 14:58 #415339

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder

Where I am, there's no Cholov Yisroel. Black coffee ain't my thing, but for a L'chaim it's worth it !

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 15:17 #415344

• BenHashemBH
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
amevakesh wrote on 18 Jun 2024 14:58:

Where I am, there's no Cholov Yisroel. Black coffee ain't my thing, but for a L'chaim it's worth it !

Nowadays the parve options are abundant. L'chaim!
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 15:23 #415346

• Heeling
  • Current streak: 73 days
  • Platinum Boarder

@amevakesh Wow! You’re a rockstar! A true fighter.

Beautiful post and a stunning story. You’re a legend. A real inspiration.

Keep Rocking!

You can win the fight, but I'll have to live with the loser.

Any excuse you use for yourself, you must be willing to use for your wife.

Not Always can I understand others, but I can always respect their wishes.

You're human, it's okay.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Jun 2024 17:48 #415359

• proudyungerman
  • Current streak: 272 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Way too early in the morning to have the massive l'chaims this legendary victory calls for.

HUH?!?
Care to explain?

L'Chaim!!
Last Edit: 18 Jun 2024 17:49 by proudyungerman. Reason: Don't want any misunderstanding. Question is on the too early for lchaim part...

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 02 Jul 2024 23:27 #416276

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Haven't learnt a word over the last 2 days. Crazy busy. Travelling. I'm creating a vacuum, that that despicable slimy ogre is just waiting to fill. I hear him stirring in the background. So, I'm challenging myself to learn for 1 hour before I go to sleep tonight. Hopefully it'll get me back on track.
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2024 23:29 by amevakesh.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 02 Jul 2024 23:48 #416277

• redfaced
  • Platinum Boarder
amevakesh wrote on 02 Jul 2024 23:27:
Haven't learnt a word over the last 2 days. Crazy busy. Travelling. I'm creating a vacuum, that that despicable slimy ogre is just waiting to fill. I hear him stirring in the background. So, I'm challenging myself to learn for 1 hour before I go to sleep tonight. Hopefully it'll get me back on track.

If you make it to lakewood ill be happy to learn with you ....
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 00:19 #416281

• Heeling
  • Current streak: 73 days
  • Platinum Boarder
redfaced wrote on 02 Jul 2024 23:48:

amevakesh wrote on 02 Jul 2024 23:27:

Maybe we should hit route 17....
You can win the fight, but I'll have to live with the loser.

Any excuse you use for yourself, you must be willing to use for your wife.

Not Always can I understand others, but I can always respect their wishes.

You're human, it's okay.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 03:02 #416286

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for all the offers. Anyway, I just completed the hour. Was not inspirational, went by very slowly, usually the case when I don't learn for a while. אם תעזבני יום יומיים אעזבך. Hopefully this gets me back on track.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 04:34 #416288

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Wanted to post something here that may seem small, but for me was somewhat significant. A little less then a year ago was my my last fall. This occurred while I was traveling (to the same place I currently find myself in) and I had to connect to WIFI. Being that my computer is filtered, and the only way I was able to connect to the WIFI was by taking off the filter just so I could connect. Once connected, I could reinstall the filter. I called TAG and asked them to remove the filter temporarily so could connect. Once it was removed, I conveniently waited for a few days before I reinstalled the filter. It was then that I fell, one thing led to another and eventually..... This year, I resolved that things would be different. When I called TAG to remove the filter, I made the connection, and right away before I could do anything wrong, I immediately called them back to reinstall it. It feels good to be given the opportunity to rectify the thing I failed in last year. Onward.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 07:06 #416293

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 366 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Awesome! This is called learning from your mistakes, and avoiding the challenges instead of getting into dangerous situations. Being smart!

Inspiring, for us and also you prove to yourself that you are strong and in control!

For the future, not sure which dinner you have, but I have Techloq. They have tools that allow you to get into wifi. For example I was just somewhere where they had public wifi and it connected with their welcome page, clicking through, no problem.

Hatzlacha!

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 17:09 #416319

• BenHashemBH
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Do all of the GYE in-person meetings happen in Lakewood?
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 03 Jul 2024 17:15 #416320

• redfaced
  • Platinum Boarder
BenHashemBH wrote on 03 Jul 2024 17:09:

Do all of the GYE in-person meetings happen in Lakewood?

Does ANYBODY live anywhere else?

The Red Face
Time to create page: 0.60 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes