Welcome, Guest

Navigating the ocean of my life
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Navigating the ocean of my life 4028 Views

Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 10:21 #411978

• amevakesh
  • Current streak: 428 days
  • Gold Boarder
For the past 267 days, there have been sunny skies, calm winds, the boat's been steady, with nary a thought to the pirates that lurk beyond the horizon.

However, clouds are gathering, waves are getting choppier, and worst of all, a cry from the barrelman in the crow nest, "Pirates ahead"!!! I've been warned.

As they get closer, thoughts are swirling through my mind. I hear their evil whisperings in my head. "You thought you were off our radar, not so fast." Will they succeed in overtaking the ship I've put so much effort in constructing?

They're faster, sneakier, and more cunning then I, and I know that once they come too close, I'm doomed. But, I have an itch that needs to be scratched, a void that has to be filled, and I'm having a difficult time doing so.

But one thing I've learned here at GYE. There's safety in numbers. So I'm sending out a call to my fellow mates, can anyone help me out in how to overcome these Bein Hazmanim pirates?

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 12:15 #411980

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 517 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Stick to sailing near the coast, so the GYE navy can sent out the SRT at the earliest sign of trouble.

( basically stick around and reach out to friends)
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 12:54 #411982

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 332 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Perhaps spend part of your day doing something productive that you really enjoy. My children used to work in maintenance during bein hazmanim and it helped them a lot but everyone has different interests and hobbies. Learning with a chavrusa can also help.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 16:26 #411989

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 500 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Reaching out to friends, even the busy ones, always helps. 
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 17:48 #411995

methinks speakin' ter cordnoy would do yer some good ya thievin' landlubber! shiver me timbers if he don' sound like one of us! 
איש את רעהו יעזרו ולאחיו יאמר חזק!! (ישעיהו מא:ו)
Let's do this together!!
bradley613613@gmail.com

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 18:04 #411997

• proudyungerman
  • Current streak: 272 days
  • Platinum Boarder
redfaced wrote on 17 Apr 2024 12:15:
Stick to sailing near the coast, so the GYE navy can sent out the SRT at the earliest sign of trouble.

( basically stick around and reach out to friends)

Who knows...maybe you'll manage to even make a few new ones...
...והמבין יבין

Personally, I also need to make sure to stay positive. I know that a big trigger for me is when I am down. I have already been telling myself that even if I don't learn as much as I should or want to, no need to get grumpy. I'm still the same old great guy that I was earlier today. 

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 20:16 #412002

• eerie
  • Current streak: 766 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah!!!! Ah Mevakesh! Halevai I was one!
Friend, keep being a friend. And smiling! And, of course, trucking:)
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 17 Apr 2024 23:32 #412014

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks so much to all those that helped me steady the ship, both with your responses, PM's, texts, and calls. Friends like the one's you can open up to on GYE are hard to find. They say that when you need something done, ask the busiest people. They care the most, and I feel it. Thank you. 

Nothing's changed, but my perspective, and that makes all the difference.

Onward and forward, ready to take on the storms.
Last Edit: 17 Apr 2024 23:34 by amevakesh.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Apr 2024 10:47 #412024

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Yesterday I You Tubed for about 2 hours.  Nothing terrible (politics and sports). But for me, it can be, and in the past it has been the beginning of a slippery slope. The best defense is good offense. Today, I'm challenging myself to put in at least 3 hours of learning before 12 noon. Anyone with Bein Hazmanim blues welcome to join. Will keep you posted.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Apr 2024 11:19 #412027

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Stop sunbathing on the boat. Get off and swim in the waves. The physical exertion will do you good. 

YouTube?! It's the portal to Hell. A steep greased slide heading in one direction. Down.....
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Apr 2024 13:41 #412034

Why not challenge yourself to a youtube-free bein hazmanim? That's an important geder and it'll give you a star to navigate with. (Or something like that, this metaphor is outta control). 
Also, something that's helpful for learning bein hazmanim is finding a topic that's really libo chafetz and getting involved. Explore the reefs you've always wanted to see (aight, this metaphor is dead).
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Apr 2024 17:35 #412058

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
For now, the sun has come back out. Its warm rays and clarity have cowed the pirates into submission. They've disappeared over the horizon again. The void has been filled with fulfilling ideas that are now churning in my head from this morning's Seder. Ah! Marror never tasted as sweet, when consumed through the experience of learning! The ship sails on.

Now, it's time to do carpool, and help out at home. (Thank you Heeling for being my Rebbe, in learning how to enjoy doing  it)

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 18 Apr 2024 18:07 #412060

• Heeling
  • Current streak: 73 days
  • Platinum Boarder

That’s a captain skillfully navigating his ship with precision.

You can win the fight, but I'll have to live with the loser.

Any excuse you use for yourself, you must be willing to use for your wife.

Not Always can I understand others, but I can always respect their wishes.

You're human, it's okay.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 19 Apr 2024 14:11 #412083

• amevakesh
  • Gold Boarder
Challenging myself to 2 hours of learning. Will report.

Re: Navigating the ocean of my life 19 Apr 2024 16:07 #412087

Crush it! Dedicate the seder in honor of GYE - we could use your zechusim.
And then write up some of what you learnt and share it with us. Honestly, writing divrei torah is one of the most powerful tools I've experienced for defeating urges. It's just really difficult to do.
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes