Welcome, Guest

Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 2856 Views

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 30 Jul 2024 17:32 #418101

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:30:

BenHashemBH wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:21:

thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:13:

BenHashemBH wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:10:
Guilty.

Are you rationalizing your rationalization?

If you can find my old thread you'll see what my mind is capable of.
It creates hoops and jumps through them too.

Are you running this circus or just acting in it?

What do you do with your thoughts of being a failure at being a failure?

I'm the elephant and the stand.
The lion tamer and the audience.
The clown and the child with Coulrophobia.
The magician and his 7/8 nude female assistant.

I'm what some call a one man show.

If you are everything, then there is no one left to call you anything.
Every challenge is an opportunity. Every stumbling block is also a steppingstone. Keep climbing.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
"In the place where the penitents stand, the perfectly righteous cannot stand." -Berachos 34b
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 30 Jul 2024 17:34 #418103

• thompson
  • Expert Boarder
BenHashemBH wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:32:

thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:30:

BenHashemBH wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:21:

thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:13:

BenHashemBH wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:10:
Guilty.

Are you rationalizing your rationalization?

If you can find my old thread you'll see what my mind is capable of.
It creates hoops and jumps through them too.

Are you running this circus or just acting in it?

What do you do with your thoughts of being a failure at being a failure?

I'm the elephant and the stand.
The lion tamer and the audience.
The clown and the child with Coulrophobia.
The magician and his 7/8 nude female assistant.

I'm what some call a one man show.

If you are everything, then there is no one left to call you anything.

Perfect.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 30 Jul 2024 17:40 #418106

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 491 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Either way, welcome back 
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/416899-The-Red-Face

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 30 Jul 2024 17:52 #418111

• proudyungerman
  • Current streak: 249 days
  • Platinum Boarder
thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 16:13:
Failure.
What a scary word.Unlike kryptonite, which Superman can choose to avoid, failure is an integral part of life. It's like a heel to Achilles. It's always there. It has to.
The problem is that I don't know how to deal with it. As long as things go well, I'm in. Once there's a dark chapter, I write the rest of the story in that shade. The rationale is that if I stay like this, I won't fail my previous endeavor but simply shift strategies.
I came here two years ago full of ambition and zest, got over 100 days clean, and failed.
I got back up, and after two weeks, I failed again.Instead of coming here and admitting my failure, the rationalizations kicked in.
I started climbing many times, announcing my new expeditions only once I had enough days and hubris, and failed every time.
Then I decided this whole shpiel was not worth its bandwidth and gained infamy for my darkness and cynicism. I even changed my username to match this persona. I did not fail at that one and enjoyed it, but I felt empty inside.
I deleted my account. To hell with you and yours.

One day, I got this fantastic idea: Now that the old me is dead, I can open a new account with a new character and have a fresh start. Nobody needs to be the wiser. Awesome. Fantabulous.
I started again, this time with fervor and passion.
It lasted for about three weeks, then I failed. I haven't been active since.
Why?
Because it's the same old me writing these words, new username and profile picture notwithstanding.
I'm the same loser who's afraid of losing.

So, I failed.
Maybe if I write those words enough times, they'll lose their potency.

Question: Who thinks he has what it takes to respond with "You didn't fail! Every clean day is saved in Shomayim!" or "Don't call yourself a loser!" etc.?

Ouch. I am feeling for you, brother.

It seems like I'm coming late to the current party, but I am more curious than anything else.
Why are you afraid to lose? What about it scares you? Do you expect perfection immediately? If so, why?
Why don't you want people responding with the classic "You didn't fail! Every day clean etc."?

Either way, I am feeling for you.
From a fellow detective, er, brother, here's a hug!
(Currently phoneless. Textable at my number below.)
Feel free to reach out and say hi!
proudyungerman@gmail.com
406-219-8398

Check out my stories: 
guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/406231-The-Real-Me
guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/409689-My-Journey-to-True-Intimacy

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 30 Jul 2024 18:24 #418116

• cande
  • Platinum Boarder
thompson wrote on 30 Jul 2024 16:13:
Failure.
What a scary word.

Unlike kryptonite, which Superman can choose to avoid, failure is an integral part of life. It's like a heel to Achilles. It's always there. It has to.
The problem is that I don't know how to deal with it. As long as things go well, I'm in. Once there's a dark chapter, I write the rest of the story in that shade. The rationale is that if I stay like this, I won't fail my previous endeavor but simply shift strategies.
I came here two years ago full of ambition and zest, got over 100 days clean, and failed.
I got back up, and after two weeks, I failed again.Instead of coming here and admitting my failure, the rationalizations kicked in.
I started climbing many times, announcing my new expeditions only once I had enough days and hubris, and failed every time.
Then I decided this whole shpiel was not worth its bandwidth and gained infamy for my darkness and cynicism. I even changed my username to match this persona. I did not fail at that one and enjoyed it, but I felt empty inside.
I deleted my account. To hell with you and yours.

One day, I got this fantastic idea: Now that the old me is dead, I can open a new account with a new character and have a fresh start. Nobody needs to be the wiser. Awesome. Fantabulous.
I started again, this time with fervor and passion.
It lasted for about three weeks, then I failed. I haven't been active since.
Why?
Because it's the same old me writing these words, new username and profile picture notwithstanding.
I'm the same loser who's afraid of losing.

So, I failed.
Maybe if I write those words enough times, they'll lose their potency.

Question: Who thinks he has what it takes to respond with "You didn't fail! Every clean day is saved in Shomayim!" or "Don't call yourself a loser!" etc.?

To sum it up,
you get a Fx10 
you may need to resign
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
Last Edit: 30 Jul 2024 18:28 by cande.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 01 Aug 2024 18:05 #418265

• thompson
  • Expert Boarder
proudyungerman wrote on 30 Jul 2024 17:52:
Ouch. I am feeling for you, brother.

It seems like I'm coming late to the current party, but I am more curious than anything else.
Why are you afraid to lose? What about it scares you? Do you expect perfection immediately? If so, why?
Why don't you want people responding with the classic "You didn't fail! Every day clean etc."?

Either way, I am feeling for you.
From a fellow detective, er, brother, here's a hug!

I'm still mulling over these questions.
Good stuff.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 02 Aug 2024 04:39 #418320

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 472 days
  • Platinum Boarder

I ought to have known. That edge that cuts like glass in the mouth…. it hurts, but it’s soooo smooth…

I have less answers today than I had yesterday. But, I’m starting to feel that questions themselves, sometimes, are answers.

Focus on identifying with failure is complicated. Beyond Shem’a cogent point, with which I wholeheartedly agree, I also think that “Failure” has a finality to it. I prefer  “Failing”.  It’s more dynamic. When you fall on your face, you’re still here. I think that’s something- the being here.
In and of itself.
Will you say that that is a feel-good delusion?
Maybe. But I think it’s not. 

It may be a cliche, but this is still one of my favorite poems:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

— Dylan Thomas

Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com
Last Edit: 02 Aug 2024 04:42 by chaimoigen.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 02 Aug 2024 19:41 #418374

• eerie
  • Current streak: 738 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I am showing up really late to the party, so late I'm afraid everyone has left.
Listen to me, my dear Thompson, everyone has given you the smart and cute answers already, so I'll just cut to the chase.
Yes, you have fallen. And yes, there is hope. YOU can change! Your future can redefine your past! 
But how? How can you change?
First of all, give CO a call. And keep bothering the hell out of the guy. You gotta be selfish sometimes.
Second of all, you gotta stop being a perfectionist. Not that that's easy. But you gotta embrace yourself and your imperfections, just work on your self. We are not perfect, we are not meant to be perfect. There's a nice vort from Reb Moshe Feinstein zt"l, it says about Moshe Rabbeinu הודה ולא בוש. Reb Moshe says it means he was totally not embarrased that he made a mistake! Because that's what humans do. Messing up is normal, it's what we do afterwards that defines us. 
So, you came here afterwards. That's a pretty fine definition.
My friend, I'd love to make your acquaintance. 

If I may add one more point, and I hope my friends here will forgive me.
I've been around a little bit. Spoken to a few guys. I have rarely seen a guy really make it to long-term, sustainable freedom from all the garbage without making friends here. Thompson, it may not apply to you, because for all I know you have already chased down some miscreants together with some of the guys here...but maybe it does apply. Reach out today to the GYE center nearest you.
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 14:09 #418557

• thompson
  • Expert Boarder
eerie wrote on 02 Aug 2024 19:41:
Listen to me, my dear Thompson, everyone has given you the smart and cute answers already, so I'll just cut to the chase.
Yes, you have fallen. And yes, there is hope. YOU can change! Your future can redefine your past! 
First of all, give CO a call. And keep bothering the hell out of the guy. You gotta be selfish sometimes.
Second of all, you gotta stop being a perfectionist. Not that that's easy. But you gotta embrace yourself and your imperfections, just work on your self. We are not perfect, we are not meant to be perfect. There's a nice vort from Reb Moshe Feinstein zt"l, it says about Moshe Rabbeinu הודה ולא בוש. Reb Moshe says it means he was totally not embarrased that he made a mistake! Because that's what humans do. Messing up is normal, it's what we do afterwards that defines us. 

I've been around a little bit. Spoken to a few guys. I have rarely seen a guy really make it to long-term, sustainable freedom from all the garbage without making friends here. Thompson, it may not apply to you, because for all I know you have already chased down some miscreants together with some of the guys here...but maybe it does apply. Reach out today to the GYE center nearest you.

Clearer words are usually not spoken.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 14:51 #418560

• thompson
  • Expert Boarder
Day 5. I think. Somewhere between 3 and 10.

My wife recently gave birth to a mini-human. I was in the room when they assigned the gender. Instinctively, I wanted to protest.How dare they assume the gender just on account of the body?!
How shallow and primitive can these people be?!
But I remembered that this was the little person's time to holler, so I waited my turn. I'm still waiting. They say this might take a while.

The darn deep state.

In the meantime, I'm considering pouncing on this opportunity and opening a thread in the BB section complaining and grumbling about how hard it is to stay clean while we're unclean.

This could be good.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 15:09 #418565

• BenHashemBH
  • Platinum Boarder
thompson wrote on 06 Aug 2024 14:51:
Day 5. I think. Somewhere between 3 and 10.

My wife recently gave birth to a mini-human. I was in the room when they assigned the gender. Instinctively, I wanted to protest.How dare they assume the gender just on account of the body?!
How shallow and primitive can these people be?!
But I remembered that this was the little person's time to holler, so I waited my turn. I'm still waiting. They say this might take a while.

The darn deep state.

In the meantime, I'm considering pouncing on this opportunity and opening a thread in the BB section complaining and grumbling about how hard it is to stay clean while we're unclean.

This could be good.

Mazel Tov!

Go for it. I'm sure the discussion will be (moderately) productive and helpful for a lot of people.
Hatzlacha
Every challenge is an opportunity. Every stumbling block is also a steppingstone. Keep climbing.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
"In the place where the penitents stand, the perfectly righteous cannot stand." -Berachos 34b
The yetzarim a person has the most trouble dealing with are his most powerful God-given tools for developing his potential and achieving shleimus.
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.
It doesn't matter how big the number is, only that today it is going up by one.

A little about what I'm doing here: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/412971-I-Want-to-Help-Others

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 18:50 #418589

• 138eagle
  • Current streak: 174 days
  • Senior Boarder
thompson wrote on 06 Aug 2024 14:09:

eerie wrote on 02 Aug 2024 19:41:

Clearer words are usually not spoken.

I cannot agree more.
I have been here for more than 5 months already and I have been clean for a ful 5 months. However I was erached out to and I began to post and to talk to the chevra and everything moved to next level. Untill I began to reach out and talk to everyone, I was clean on the outside and that was it. Don't get me wrong that in itself is a great accomplishment. However, now I am not just clean, I am clear about what it takes to really be clean inside.

Don't be shy or nervous. We here will not judge you, we will just be there to hold your hand through this journey.

Come fly with me as I fly higher!
My Story

Feel free to reach out to me.
138.124.eagle@gmail.com
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2024 18:51 by 138eagle.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 19:16 #418592

• thompson
  • Expert Boarder
Eerie doesn't let me be a perfectionist.
138eagle doesn't let me be shy or nervous.

Any other intimately held traits I should get rid of while I'm at it?

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 19:20 #418594

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
thompson wrote on 06 Aug 2024 19:16:
Eerie doesn't let me be a perfectionist.
138eagle doesn't let me be shy or nervous.

Any other intimately held traits I should get rid of while I'm at it?

Probably most of them. To be precise, any manifestation of your ego is out.

Re: Thompson, with a 'P', as in psychology 06 Aug 2024 19:33 #418597

• 138eagle
  • Current streak: 174 days
  • Senior Boarder
I would like to add a bit of chizuk here that I think may be approriate. I recently shared this with a few of the chevra that I spoke to.
I heard this from Rav Noach Orlowek משגיח in Torah Ore in Yerushalayim. It is a powerful mesage for recovery.

A woman was attending AA meetings for about 2 years. The leader who was someone that was part of AA for about 12 years already and who ws someone considerbly older than her aproached her and told her, "you are dry for longer than I am". She responded how on earth? You have been here much longer than me? He responded by saying, "Yes, but you were up earlier then me today".

Each day is a new challenge, and each day is a new triumph!
Internalize this mesage and you will fly
Come fly with me as I fly higher!
My Story

Feel free to reach out to me.
138.124.eagle@gmail.com
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes