Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: My problem 2792 Views

Re: My problem 18 Aug 2020 21:25 #353959

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 102 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Grant! I loved all of your posts on this thread, but this one really hit the nail on the head. 
I would just add that what you write regarding the need that list fills is true of all other self-destructive behaviors and addictions. It’s just that lust is uniquely accessible and built in to a person and is the easiest addiction to hide...
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 

Re: My problem 23 Aug 2020 20:54 #354111

Count me in on this to. From now on, when I see a woman, I try the Grant method (bli neder). See what happens.

Hatzlocha all.

יהי רצון שהדברים לתועלת

Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
We all make choices in life, but in the end, our choices make us.

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 19:57 #359655

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Zedj! Here's the thread I was referring to. It's a discussion about how to stop viewing women as sexual objects. Read from the beginning at your leisure. I hope you find it helpful. 

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 20:12 #359657

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you, it will be my special nittle nacht read!

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 22:14 #359670

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 12 Aug 2020 17:14:

Even when a woman is obviously dressed in a way that is so glaring supposed to entice and share the view of ... I realized that a woman (most normal, not the trash) dresses that way to look pretty and cute not to look sexy and perverted. She's not trying to expose her body to the world she just wants people to find her attractive in a nonsexual way. Just like when you put on a new suit for Yom tov your objective isn't that people should imagine you without it on...

Grant

Really? It’s so hard for me to believe that.
I’m aware that it’s probably due to my own skewed mindset...

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 22:39 #359674

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I was watching a talk ( I don't remember who or where it is) the gist of what he said "if the woman/girl knew what the guy was thinking, she would never dress like that"

@yeshivaguy So I guess it would be correct to say a girl/woman when they dress, they are thinking to look pretty and not to be looked at in a lustful manner.
If only they would know.......

This is a very helpful thread thank you to all here that gave their advice.

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 23:45 #359678

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2824 days
  • Platinum Boarder
I think that was Rabbi Dovid Orlofsky on his famous "The Platonic Relationship", which by the way is a must watch/listen too for anyone who wants to date for companionship but is not ready to date for the purpose of marriage yet.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: My problem 24 Dec 2020 23:55 #359679

• lodaas
  • Senior Boarder
Please tell me if I am mistaken but doesnt the gemara say something like 
חמת מלא צואה והכל רצין אחריה
It is part of our eternal fight and these are all strategies to win each battle but the war we will only win when we hit our graves after 120 

Re: My problem 25 Dec 2020 00:55 #359686

• mggsbms
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 24 Dec 2020 22:14:

Even when a woman is obviously dressed in a way that is so glaring supposed to entice and share the view of ... I realized that a woman (most normal, not the trash) dresses that way to look pretty and cute not to look sexy and perverted. She's not trying to expose her body to the world she just wants people to find her attractive in a nonsexual way. Just like when you put on a new suit for Yom tov your objective isn't that people should imagine you without it on...

Grant

What Grant writes is probably true most of the time, hense the big to-do with the "me to" movement. It took me time to grasp this as true.
Aka -  Mischadeish075 Email mischadeish075@gmail.com
Last Edit: 25 Dec 2020 00:56 by mggsbms.

Re: My problem 25 Dec 2020 07:00 #359728

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 24 Dec 2020 22:14:

Grant

Yes, regarding the typical Frum woman it is true. Even if they are not perfect with Tznius standards etc. If they are healthy frum females their intention is to look pretty and get compliments from their friends etc. They don't think about us and our hirhurim. They intrinsically like to look nice even for themselves.Think of any female relative you have,and it may be easier to realize that.

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 16:17 #408349

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Gold Boarder
Hi all,

I am currently (still) struggling with looking and lusting when walking in the street. I had bad days and worse days. i am still trying to find the proper way how to deal with this.. last night I had an embarrassing story... I found myself staring at this lady, and she noticed it, then I realized its my friends spouse - and immediately my mind got flooded with all kind of negative thoughts; she will repeat to her husband, he will lookdown at me, will think that I am not happy with the way my wife dresses (which has some truth)..
I am hurting....
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2024 16:34 by willdoit.

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 18:26 #408358

• davidt
  • Platinum Boarder
willdoit wrote on 06 Feb 2024 16:17:
Hi all,

I am currently (still) struggling with looking and lusting when walking in the street. I had bad days and worse days. i am still trying to find the proper way how to deal with this.. last night I had an embarrassing story... I found myself staring at this lady, and she noticed it, then I realized its my friends spouse - and immediately my mind got flooded with all kind of negative thoughts; she will repeat to her husband, he will lookdown at me, will think that I am not happy with the way my wife dresses (which has some truth)..
I am hurting....

Maybe you can use this as a tool to help you for the future. Think about this, every married woman is a human being with a spouse (even if you don't know him). Each one has their own history, pain, challenges and issues which we don't know about. You're not staring at an object, it's a human being who deserves respect. You can go further by saying a prayer for her that she should succeed and hashem should help her with whatever needs she might have... 
"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?"
feel free to reach out @  ahavayirah@gmail.com

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 18:29 #408359

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 517 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi all,

I am hurting....

Ouch ! But like Davidt said sometimes you can use these stories as a springboard to stop looking. The knowledge that there is a real person hiding beneath whatever you see.
Hatzlocha!
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 18:44 #408363

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 7 days
  • Gold Boarder
davidt wrote on 06 Feb 2024 18:26:

Hi all,

I am hurting....

Maybe you can use this as a tool to help you for the future. Think about this, every married woman is a human being with a spouse (even if you don't know him). Each one has their own history, pain, challenges and issues which we don't know about. You're not staring at an object, it's a human being who deserves respect. You can go further by saying a prayer for her that she should succeed and hashem should help her with whatever needs she might have... 

Thanks! I am grappling with this idea for a long time, I am trying to apply it in real life but id does not seem to take away the lusting. my mind plays with me' like, so what?  what if she is a human being, she is attractive!. the lust wont yield. what am i doing wrong?
Last Edit: 06 Feb 2024 18:49 by willdoit.

Re: My problem 06 Feb 2024 18:50 #408364

• yitzchokm
  • Current streak: 332 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Maybe understand that she has a private life and you are intruding.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes