Welcome, Guest

Make it to Yeshiva
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Make it to Yeshiva 98587 Views

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 21 Jan 2021 13:53 #361677

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 21 Jan 2021 12:30:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 15 Jan 2021 21:17:
Dearest friends,
I wish all of you a heartfelt Gut Shabbos Kodesh.

I will stop using this device and set myself free.
I love you all and thank you all for your support.

With determination,

YeshivaGuy

Yeshiva Guy I want to give you some perspective on the decision you have made. You think you decided to rid yourself of an iPhone as a protection for now - while you are a bochur, which of course is true, and you should be applauded for making that decision. But it goes way beyond that tzaddik.

Yidden have always been careful to make their homes sanctuaries - safe places , unaffected by the street. The term teivas Noach has been used about our homes (and yeshivas). For generations, despite our interactions with goyim out there in the world, we came home and closed the door to whatever was going on "out there". Along came the radio and television and brought the goyim right into our living rooms. Gedolei Yisroel campaigned against TV and to a great degree were very successful and many guys who grew up in TV homes, upon marriage, left the TV out of their new mikdash me'at. Even radio - many bnei Torah restricted radio listening in the house either completely or to a large degree. Some made a gender of "only in the car". Eventually Torah true newspapers were published to help us "know what's going on the world", while protecting us from questionable content, which also served as a great service to keep our homes pure. And then along came the Internet..... and wreaked havoc on all this. Let's not even discuss shmutz. The amount of apikorsus - open and subtle is enormous. People who never dreamed of watching goyishe movies, do so quite often now. And we have been desensitized to aidelkeit. Clips of people's happenings are sent around with no concern for their privacy and dignity - simple example - why should someone's car accident be public? Why are we watching someone in their tough moment? The amount of lashon hara and rechilus is appalling. Since when is "online" the heter to say (or write) just about anything? Kids are seeing traumatic events and tragedies rach"l.

When a bochur decides, "my home is going to be pristine - a kodesh hakadoshim. The street has no entry past my mezuza. Western Culture will not enter my abode. There will not be a device in my pocket that will bring foreign ideas - open and subtle kefirah, lashon hara, or images that even the "heimish" news does not realize are unacceptable - why do they show pictures of lady politicians and the like?! Why?!" When a bochur makes that decision, he is protecting himself, his future wife and kids from challenges to their emunah and their kedusha. You are a wise man. 

Wow! A laser guided missile. Thank you HHM.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 21 Jan 2021 21:12 #361693

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 21 Jan 2021 13:53:

Whoa! That sounds violent. The worst i do here is a kick in the pamts. Let's rephrase that to "a laser guided hug". 
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 21 Jan 2021 21:44 #361698

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 21 Jan 2021 21:12:

Grant400 wrote on 21 Jan 2021 13:53:

Whoa! That sounds violent. The worst i do here is a kick in the pamts. Let's rephrase that to "a laser guided hug". 

A laser guided hug. OMG! That's sooooo 2021! LOL!! (That can very well be the first time I ever typed LOL or OMG in my life. ) Oh right...we gotta be sweet...we don't want to bruise any millennial snowflakes feelings...but I think our Yeshivaguy can handle a little rough and tumble...

HHM, stay outta the military! 
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 22 Jan 2021 00:05 #361702

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
Dearest friends,

I wish all of you a heartfelt Gut Shabbos Kodesh.

I will stop using this device and set myself free.

I love you all and thank you all for your support.

With determination,

YeshivaGuy

Yeshiva Guy I want to give you some perspective on the decision you have made. You think you decided to rid yourself of an iPhone as a protection for now - while you are a bochur, which of course is true, and you should be applauded for making that decision. But it goes way beyond that tzaddik.

Yidden have always been careful to make their homes sanctuaries - safe places , unaffected by the street. The term teivas Noach has been used about our homes (and yeshivas). For generations, despite our interactions with goyim out there in the world, we came home and closed the door to whatever was going on "out there". Along came the radio and television and brought the goyim right into our living rooms. Gedolei Yisroel campaigned against TV and to a great degree were very successful and many guys who grew up in TV homes, upon marriage, left the TV out of their new mikdash me'at. Even radio - many bnei Torah restricted radio listening in the house either completely or to a large degree. Some made a gender of "only in the car". Eventually Torah true newspapers were published to help us "know what's going on the world", while protecting us from questionable content, which also served as a great service to keep our homes pure. And then along came the Internet..... and wreaked havoc on all this. Let's not even discuss shmutz. The amount of apikorsus - open and subtle is enormous. People who never dreamed of watching goyishe movies, do so quite often now. And we have been desensitized to aidelkeit. Clips of people's happenings are sent around with no concern for their privacy and dignity - simple example - why should someone's car accident be public? Why are we watching someone in their tough moment? The amount of lashon hara and rechilus is appalling. Since when is "online" the heter to say (or write) just about anything? Kids are seeing traumatic events and tragedies rach"l.

When a bochur decides, "my home is going to be pristine - a kodesh hakadoshim. The street has no entry past my mezuza. Western Culture will not enter my abode. There will not be a device in my pocket that will bring foreign ideas - open and subtle kefirah, lashon hara, or images that even the "heimish" news does not realize are unacceptable - why do they show pictures of lady politicians and the like?! Why?!" When a bochur makes that decision, he is protecting himself, his future wife and kids from challenges to their emunah and their kedusha. You are a wise man. 
I think the words of the Mesilas Yesharim in the Hakdama aptly apply to the posting of HHM.I will paraphrase "there are no chidushim in Mesilas Yesharim and possibly if you learn it one time you won't lean anything new. However one has to review it many times over so that we van keep it on our mind at all times"He did not say any chidushim. We are all Bnei Torah. We know all of that. However, we have to Chazer it again and again so that we can actually apply it to our daily lives.

Thank you for the reminder because that is what we all need so so badly.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 22 Jan 2021 01:25 #361705

• lou
  • Platinum Boarder
My apologies as the post above came out a little strange. It was supposed to be a quote from HHM and a comment. Not sure what happened and I can't edit it.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 22 Jan 2021 20:42 #361740

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Gut Erev Shabbos chevra,
Baruch HaShem this week went pretty well.
Being detached from this phone has helped immensely.

Though I still struggle with being on time to shachris and Seder, being detached from this distraction has enabled me to be more introspective...

Last night I listened to a shiur during dinner, but  I ended up listening to the next segments and missed Night Seder.
So a lesson I’m taking is to avoid even recorded shiurim cuz distraction.

Honestly, I’m not so happy with how this week went.
My first Seder chavrusa stopped coming and my new chavrusa is coming Tuesday.

I feel like I have so much potential and I’m just not utilizing it nearly like I should.
Especialy like I’m probably not doing college classes next year so I can keep learning full time and I feel like if I’m not giving it my all then what’s the point...

But anyway, I’m happy I was able to stay away from this phone and am proud of the things which I did manage to accomplish.

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 14:15 #361779

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Yeshivaguy,
You're a big inspiration toto myself and many others here. We are all amazed by the incredible progress and growth you keep making.
Just curious, you have any clear attainable goals written down? It can help keep focused instead of just having this feeling always of not reaching your potential. You can set specific goals in each seder, something reasonable. It will help you stay focused. And then later it can help you look back and see what progress you made and what you can improve on, instead of just living with that feeling of "wasting your potential." (You can try larger goals until the end of the zman, and then break it up further into weekly goals.)
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 17:46 #361787

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Captain wrote on 24 Jan 2021 14:15:
Hey Yeshivaguy,
You're a big inspiration toto myself and many others here. We are all amazed by the incredible progress and growth you keep making.
Just curious, you have any clear attainable goals written down? It can help keep focused instead of just having this feeling always of not reaching your potential. You can set specific goals in each seder, something reasonable. It will help you stay focused. And then later it can help you look back and see what progress you made and what you can improve on, instead of just living with that feeling of "wasting your potential." (You can try larger goals until the end of the zman, and then break it up further into weekly goals.)

Hey, I was about to start typing but you said exactly what I was going to say. The only thing I would add is that it is extremely helpful to share these thoughts with a good Rebbe who can help you navigate through them. 
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 18:27 #361789

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
wilnevergiveup wrote on 24 Jan 2021 17:46:

Hey Yeshivaguy,

Hey, I was about to start typing but you said exactly what I was going to say. The only thing I would add is that it is extremely helpful to share these thoughts with a good Rebbe who can help you navigate through them. 

Thanks guys so so much.
Ya I spoke about it with a friend of mine over Shabbos and he has the same prob and I’ll speak to my Rebbi this week hopefully.

Shkoyach!

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 18:32 #361790

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder

Just curious, you have any clear attainable goals written down? It can help keep focused instead of just having this feeling always of not reaching your potential. You can set specific goals in each seder, something reasonable. 

Thanks, I do, I think it’s a deeper problem that I have. That I’m never satisfied with accomplishments and have a voice inside my head always saying I’m a failure 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 19:44 #361795

• BHYY
  • Current streak: 787 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Please do talk to a close Rebbe. B”H I am able to look back at my years in Yeshiva and feel accomplished only because I sat down with my Rebbe and we planned attainable goals. They were true golden years, nothing feels sweeter than feeling accomplished in your limud haTorah. (Obviously we are never completely accomplished but small accomplishments go such a long way).
I still make goals and still follow up with my Rebbe.
נאָך אַ שריפה ווערט מען רייַך - After a fire one becomes wealthy.

My email: bhyy@protonmail.com

My thread: guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/349632-Hayom-Yom

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 20:18 #361798

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Will do thanks, but again, it’s a much deeper problem. I will discuss with my Rebbi, and if necessary, my therapist 

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 20:29 #361799

• yeshivaguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Just Emailed my therapist

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 23:11 #361820

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2791 days
  • Platinum Boarder
YeshivaGuy wrote on 24 Jan 2021 18:32:

Thanks, I do, I think it’s a deeper problem that I have. That I’m never satisfied with accomplishments and have a voice inside my head always saying I’m a failure 

Oy! Another perfectionist like me. Every accomplishment really isn't good......
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: Make it to Yeshiva 24 Jan 2021 23:17 #361822

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashem Help Me wrote on 24 Jan 2021 23:11:

YeshivaGuy wrote on 24 Jan 2021 18:32:

Oy! Another perfectionist like me. Every accomplishment really isn't good......

perhaps, I thought the same, now and a few times before, from other posts, as I am suffering from this attitude too. @yeshivehguy might be a good idea to look into this possibility perhaps talk to @hhm or @excellence they both wrote about their experiences in this area.
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2021 23:22 by sapy.
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes