Welcome, Guest
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Starting up 34529 Views

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 03:04 #257693

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
Some times I just feel down and wish that I could step back, press pause, and take as long as I need with someone right for me to figure everything out and get set in the right direction. This obviously isn't possible but I think I need some professional help to at least figure stuff out about my addiction and my depression, anxiety, relationships, etc...
I spoke to my school counselor for two years and was doing well but I never spoke about my addiction. He has since moved and I have also changed yeshivas and have been looking for someone else. There are no frum professionals in the area so I started with my rebbi. I have not really opened up emotionally yet and haven't spoken about lust. I hope to find someone worthwhile on the phone or something like that.
Let Hashem Do His Job!

We need to jump off the conveyor belt of life and walk on our own.

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016 19:54 by abd297.

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 04:08 #257696

• cordnoy
Like several said above: Take a deep breath, slow down.
The resources that suit you will find its way.

b'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 17:19 #257748

• Sasha 2
  • Current streak: 19 days
  • Gold Boarder
Welcome! I can relate to a lot of what you wrote, i found reading the handbook really helped me at times, though i have many ups and downs too.
Feel free to email me anytime sanonym380380@gmail.com

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 18:26 #257755

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
abd297 wrote:
I have been struggling with depression, anxiety, relationships, and perfectionism, in addition to my sexual issues. I hae some relatives over for most of the first month so there is some structure. The handbook should come in the mail very soon and I'll get started. I was just overwhelmed by all of the resources that the introduction says someone like me should use.
I'm not sure why no one has dubbed me the perfectionism police yet, maybe they are too polite. But, you said the magic word, so I'm obligated to point out that I have a link in my signature to Dr. Sorotzkin's website. He has great stuff on perfectionism, and on the psycology of acting out as well. I found it very enlightening. I hope you do too.

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 20:25 #257782

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
Today I was out and about a littl more than my 1st 2 days on GYE. More room for looking at women which fills your mind with unwanted thoughts. I had an urge to fall but I immediately came on and started reading and posting. I think it has passed for now BH. I wasn't so carefully about looking but I was pretty good. It's hard to figure out what is more than an accidental glance because I am so sensitive that almost anything can turn me on. Any advice about this?
Also I started having unwanted sexual dreams. Is this normal at this phase?. I have struggled with wet dreams in the past. So far I haven't had one in a few months. Ar they counted as a fall? How do I prevent them? Does it reset my brain on the addicting path?
Let Hashem Do His Job!

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings.

Last Edit: 25 Jun 2015 20:34 by abd297.

Re: Starting up 25 Jun 2015 20:31 #257784

• sib101854
  • Current streak: 4035 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Take a look at what is a "slip" as opposed to a "fall" with respect to the 90 day chart.

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 01:03 #257800

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Ignore the dreams
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 01:34 #257802

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
After a wet dream I feel like I blew it and I must start all over again. Is this true? Do any of you feel similarly? How do you deal with it?
Let Hashem Do His Job!

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 02:21 #257813

• bigmoish
  • Platinum Boarder
serenity wrote:
Ignore the dreams

No more needs to be said.
Handbook | Skep's Tips
My threads:
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/236327-Bigmoish-tries-to-be-good
www.guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/236329-Bigmoishs-path-to-tahara

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo
"Expectation is the mother of frustration" - gibbor120
"Today, damn it! Today!" - cordnoy
"Desiring is not a sin at all, but just a sign that you are not dead yet" - Dov
"We are our own worst observer" - eslaasos's therapist
WDHW!!!

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 03:38 #257819

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
How do you guys stop the automatic head turn towards women? Even if I stop looking is just the first reflex an issue?
Let Hashem Do His Job!

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 10:44 #257834

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
I work on the head turning myself.
Firstly, before you go out on the street prepare yourself mentally that you will have challenges in this area and that will help not to look.
Secondly, train yourself not to be curios in general, to look what is going on somewhere else.
Thirdly, look down as you walk and perhaps focus on the ground.
Alternatively it is wise to think about a Torah thought as you are walking. Something a little deep that you find of interest.

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 12:35 #257842

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Don't worry about the dreams. Work on recovery. The dreams will take care of themselves.

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 13:25 #257848

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
I'm going to visit an older relative on Sunday. She's not religious. My parents and siblings aren't on the same page as shomer negiah. I've been pretty good myself for the past year avoiding shaking hands and hugging relatives and the like but I am alone in this. Any tips, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Let Hashem Do His Job!

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 16:13 #257863

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
What are your thoughts? How would they react if you refuse? Is there any way you could explain it to them? Will they be understanding? Maybe discuss with your rav.

Re: Starting up 26 Jun 2015 18:20 #257880

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
I feel that I need to get more knowledge on the halachic matters. Almost all of my relatives are not understanding or are critical of such beliefs. My parents and siblings are just unaware. I plan on discussing this and similar things with my close rebbi in the near future.
Let Hashem Do His Job!

Last Edit: 26 Apr 2016 19:58 by abd297.
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes