Welcome, Guest

One day at a Time
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.

TOPIC: One day at a Time 10475 Views

Re: One day at a Time 09 Jun 2014 18:42 #233113

Thanks. As we say in Yiddish:

מען דארף נישט זארגען וואס וועט זיין מארגען

Hatzlacha

MT

Re: One day at a Time 26 Jun 2014 22:56 #234217

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
Dovid Hamelech says in Tehillim Perek 27 "Kavei el Hashem chazak vey'ameitz leebecha vekavei el Hashem"

The Radak explains

חזק ויאמץ לבך, אם תחזק בדרכיו הוא יאמץ לבך שלא יחלש לדברי האויבים ותמצא חוזק ואומץ בלבבך. וקוה אל ה', פעם שנית, רצונו לומר, שתהיה בו התקוה תמיד ולא תמוש מלבבו:

"If you will keep strong in your ways [of serving Hashem] He will strengthen your heart so that you will not concede to the taunts of your foes [who say that you have no hope left to connect to Hashem] and you will find your heart strengthened and courageous etc"

I found that to be extremely insightful. Many a time there is something that I know I should do, but I don't really feel inspired to do it, and if I'm not inspired then I tell myself that I won't be able to follow through with it anyway. Dovid Hamelech tells me that I first need to act, when Hashem sees that He will send me the inspiration that I need to get by and continue!!!

Dovid Hamelech is telling us to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME, the rest, Hashem will take of!!!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: One day at a Time 16 Jul 2014 17:47 #235278

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
unamnumun wrote:
I heard a vort years ago. Avraham Avinu was about to shecht his son on the akeida.
he tied up his son
his hand took the knife
he moved in for the final cut.
one can imagine that if avraham avinu was about to shecht a korban, it was with all the heilige kavanos. with all the hachanos. he went through nisoyon after nisoyon on the way to har habayis. and now he was emotionally prepared for the biggest sacrifice.
just then the malach comes and says STOP. and he did. he backed down on all of his kavanos. all of his intentions of the ultimate sacrifice to Hashem.
He was able to do so because every second of his life he was thinking what does Hashem want from me right now. A second before, Hashem wanted him to shecht. This second Hashem wanted him to refrain. that's why he was able to refrain on the second.
עתה ידעתי כי ירא אל-ים אתה.
Halevay we get somewhere near that darga of being constantly aware of what Hashem wants from us every second and doing it besimcha. מתי יגיעו מעשי למעשב אבותי. we have it in us. we inherited the koach from our alte zeide Avrohom. we just have to work on it slowly,

Re: One day at a Time 16 Jul 2014 21:02 #235291

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Machshovo Tova wrote:

Hatzlacha

MT
I know it will lose in translation, but could you please translate for those of us that are yiddish challenged?

Thanks!

Re: One day at a Time 16 Jul 2014 22:26 #235299

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
lavi wrote:
l'mnois yomainu kain hoidah- teach us to count our days. being that's our whole life- a day after the next. grab your day.

ר יוסף ענגל בספרו אוצרות יוסף
למנות ימינו כן הודע פי' תן לנו דעת להבין יקרת הזמן ולמנות הימים ולא נבלה הזמן לריק רק בהשגת השלימות ועי"ז ונביא לבב חכמה ודו"ק

Re: One day at a Time 25 Jul 2014 22:18 #236069

gibbor120 wrote:
Machshovo Tova wrote:

Hatzlacha

MT
I know it will lose in translation, but could you please translate for those of us that are yiddish challenged?

Thanks!

We need not worry what will be tomorrow.

Re: One day at a Time 27 Jul 2014 05:05 #236080

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
This is hypocritical of me to say, but it is what I think.

One day at a time may be a method to stay sober, or a good mind-set to have, but I think it can also be abused.

A guy I know from SA (since quit) could never stay sober for long. Every time I asked him how he was doing he sighed and said "today, good". Translation: "I relapsed yesterday, but that's OK today cos this is one day at a time, right?"

Wrong. I think there has to be a commitment to staying sober permanently.

If the one day at a time mentality helps a person stay sober permanently, then great! I'm not certain that this is the mentality we all have to have. It's not a one size fits all program.

But hey, I haven't got this thing figured out, so this is just one old drunk's opinion.

Re: One day at a Time 27 Jul 2014 07:30 #236092

• cordnoy
Doc,

I think the commitment to stay sober permanently (and im talkin' about a real live commitment - one that actually means somethin') can only happen after serious recovery time. This, by the way, regardin' myself and one of my struggles has just happened in the last few days. I was able to "turn the corner." A certain struggle - although I was one day at a timin' it the last 14 months, I was never able to say - even to myself that it is permanent - now I can and did say it. Will I keep the commitment? That is one day at a time. So gettin' back to practicalities, I think one must begin with one day at a time, but it must be together with some sort of action. There are people here that fall every three days, seven or twelve. They might be practicin' it; might not be, but even if they are, they probably need to increase action. Like you pointed out, they should not look at a fall as, "Oh well, it is one day at a time," for that will not get them too far.

b'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: One day at a Time 27 Jul 2014 17:33 #236107

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you Doc for the honesty!

Everything in life can be abused, or rather, taken out of context. I know that I didn't have the answers, for I was falling right and left, and even when it slowwed down, there was still something I was missing.

If I don't have it then I need to learn from those that do, and most of them, if not all of them, have expressed that this works for them. Do I wish it weren't that way, maybe I used to, but not any more.

One day at a time is really just the fact of life! I can't change what I am right now, and I need to do what I need to do based on what I am right now! Of course, many a time I wish I were different, many a time I hope that I will one day be different, but does that change what I need to do now? No!

Same thing btw, with anything in my life. I need to do what I can and should right now based on where I am, I can't start doing things the way I will when and if I change, because right now that's not what I am!!

One day at a time is acceptance, it's humility, in realizing that I'm not where I would want to be, even though what I want to be is a very good place to be....but I'm not there right now, and right now if I focus on that then I will for sure fail with where I am now.

When taken out of context it can be foolish, but why should I lose out because there's someone foolish out there who's disfigured the truth?

Re: One day at a Time 28 Jul 2014 21:31 #236218

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
cordnoy wrote:
This, by the way, regardin' myself and one of my struggles has just happened in the last few days. I was able to "turn the corner." A certain struggle - although I was one day at a timin' it the last 14 months, I was never able to say - even to myself that it is permanent - now I can and did say it.
You are making me curious. Can you elaborate?

Re: One day at a Time 28 Jul 2014 21:42 #236221

• cordnoy
Gibbor,

I wrote about it here:

No More Clubs!!!

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: One day at a Time 28 Jul 2014 23:21 #236225

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I checked your link and some posts before and after, but I don't see where your aha moment was, and what changed, and how? Am I missing something?

Re: One day at a Time 29 Jul 2014 00:08 #236239

• cordnoy
I clarified here:

One truck; two trucks

Did you wanna know what caused this?

Re: One day at a Time 29 Jul 2014 05:22 #236259

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
You married guys with your secret bb forum. UGH!
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 

Re: One day at a Time 29 Jul 2014 05:27 #236260

• cordnoy
Sorry...here was the post:

cordnoy wrote:
cordnoy wrote:
One of my trucks have been found, and when it is drivin' down the highway, it will be barrelin' down the road in the left lane; it will not be stoppin' at any clubs....not even to see if we can hold out....no reason for that....the Rambam's teshuvah can wait.....and although I have not seen the inside of one in 14 months, I was never confident that it will remain that way; now, because of a few things, I am....not overconfident mind you; not to the point that I don't need to remain vigilant, but to the point that it will not be an uncertainty rattlin' around in this lust-addicted head of mine.

Thank you

b'hatzlachah

To clarify: I had a p and m issue for several decades.
Since i came here last June, I have that under control.
My eyes have always wandered and they still do....I now have tools to deal with that. I win some and I lose some...(don't know score).
My big issue still left was when I am alone (either I go away or wife goes away).
I had desire for the Norwegian woman and to frequent clubs.
Since last June, I fell with the woman 3x.
I have not fallen with clubs....but....I have been several times in the parkin' lots or nearby. T'was a struggle and always on my mind. I always think that eventually I will find my way back there.

Last week (and for now, let us not get into the Waterloo moment), it became clear to me that I will NEVER EVER enter one of those clubs again. That is the truck I am now drivin'. It will be stayin' on the highway. How confident am i? Pretty confident. It does not weigh on my mind any longer. It is now like other lust issues...I concentrate on the moment before me.

Regardin' the woman, i was so disgusted with what happened last time, she has not entered my mind at all. [For those of you who are deep thinkers....I did not conclude in my mind the same conclusion as the clubs; i have not said that i will never contact her again. She is simply far away and far removed from my mind. Perhaps that is the lost truck with the $20.00 bill under the carpet.]

"Hope" this was clearer.

Thanks

b'hatzlachah

Time to create page: 0.71 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes