Welcome, Guest

One day at a Time
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.

TOPIC: One day at a Time 10476 Views

One day at a Time 04 Aug 2013 01:29 #214870

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
I thought it would be nice if we could easily find Divrei Torah on each common topic, so here's a thread for divrei Torah on "One day at a time".

and for starters there is the vort that Hashemssoldier mentioned "See, I am giving before you TODAY"
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: One day at a Time 04 Aug 2013 16:17 #214904

Pidaini wrote:

Hashemssoldier

Re: One day at a Time 04 Aug 2013 17:39 #214908

• MendelZ
  • Gold Boarder
Reb Chezkele Kuzmirrer had a chasid whose business travels took him through Kuzmir. He spent Shabbos there and the Rebbe ignored him. After Havdala, the Rebbe said, "The pasuk says by Moshe Rabeinu: v'heyai sham - and you should be there. To teach that one should be present to where they are and not thinking about what the future demands of them."

He was saying it as musar for the chasid coming to the Rebbe only as an addition to his business plan and thinking the whole time about what he is going to do after he leaves.

But for our purposes it could mean: "Be there" - there in the place where you are and worry not about the challenges tomorrow will throw in your way.

Just a thought.
אלא יש לו לייחד כל מעשיו לשמו הגדול לבד, ולא ישתף עמו דבר אחר
That's the goal. The key to everything. Working on it, bs"d.

Re: One day at a Time 11 Aug 2013 15:56 #215732

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
I saw an awesome vort this week, about ONE DAY AT A TIME

R' Moshe Leib Sassover explains that the introduction to Yaakov's bracha to Ephraim and Menashe "Vayivarcheim bayom hahu laimor" was actually part of the bracha "Vayivaarcheim" that "bayom hahu laimor" they should only be involved in that day, not worry about what would happen later!!
The Batchutcheh Rav adds "Va'eschanan el Hashem ba'eis hahee laimor" that Moshe Rabeinu was mispalel "ba'eis hahee laimor" only to worry about the present moment the rest is not our daagah.

Pidaini wrote:
Just one Day at a Time!
The Pasuk in Parshas Yisro says "on this day they came to the Sinai Desert" Rashi explains that "on this day" means to tell us that "it should be as if it [the torah] was given on this day.
The Yismach Moshe explains that the entire Torah is advice in how to fight the YH, and here the Torah is telling us that we are supposed to tell ourselves that the whole coming to Har Sinai was only for TODAY, so how can I push it off until tomorrow and say that I'll keep it then, when the Torah hasn't been given to me for tomorrow yet?
It's one day at a time!!
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2013 16:05 by Pidaini.

Re: One day at a Time 11 Aug 2013 15:59 #215733

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
The Beis aharon writes on the Pasuk in Tehillim (30;6)"Ki regah b'apoh, Chaim birtzonoh"

"If a person only thinks about the moment which is in front of his nose, then he will have life!"
Last Edit: 11 Aug 2013 16:01 by Pidaini.

Re: One day at a Time 11 Aug 2013 16:09 #215734

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
In Tehillim (16;4) "yirbu atzvosam achair muhuroo" which literally means "those who run after other gods will have more depression"

The Rizhener says "Those who are always thinking about "achair"-what will be later, only increase their depression."

Re: One day at a Time 13 Aug 2013 23:08 #216034

• MendelZ
  • Gold Boarder
We say in Kabolas Shabbos - "Hayom im b'kolo tishma'u" , "Today, if you listen to His voice". Usually, when we worry about the past or the future - anything other than what's before us in this moment - its because we are trying to accomplish something other than ratzon Hashem, namely our own personal design. Or we have accepted upon ourselves the responsibilty of becoming something that we aren't meant to become. A tzadik, a perfect person, etc. Its all self driven. If we were interested to hear what Hashem's voice is demanding of us, we would be so liberated. We would be free to do only that which is on our plate today. "Hayom" - All we need to do is "today", "if we listen to HIS voice", as opposed to our own.

Or: "Hayom" we will have the gift of today, meaning real life and what living today fully offers us, if we are listening to His voice and not our own. Hashem demands so much less than we demand of ourselves. He just wants us to do His will in the moment. That's it. But we want madreigos, to be tzadikim. We think our avodah should be perfect. Maybe not right away, but we think that perfection is the ultimate goal. And those demands that we put on ourselves and the harsh lenses that we see ourselves through rob us of "today". And we never experience real life in the moment. So we can only have "Hayom" if "b'kolo tishma'u".
אלא יש לו לייחד כל מעשיו לשמו הגדול לבד, ולא ישתף עמו דבר אחר
That's the goal. The key to everything. Working on it, bs"d.

Re: One day at a Time 11 Feb 2014 22:48 #227601

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you TZ for showing this to me

רמב"ם יד החזקה הלכות ברכות פרק י
ד) הגיעה אליו טובה או ששמע שמועה טובה אע"פ שהדברים מראין שטובה זו תגרום לו רעה מברך הטוב והמטיב וכן אם נגעה אליו רעה או שמע שמועה רעה אע"פ שהדברים מראים שרעה זו גורמת לו טובה מברך דיין האמת שאין מברכין על העתיד להיות אלא על מה שאירע עתה:

The Rambam writes that if something good happens to a person, even though he sees that it might harm him in the future, he makes a bracha "Hatov V'Hameitiv" and the same is if something bad happens to him but he sees that there will be a lot of good that will come out of it, he still makes the bracha "Dyan Ha'Emes" because we do not make a bracha on things in the future, ONLY ON THINGS THAT ARE HAPPENING NOW
Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014 23:06 by Pidaini.

Re: One day at a Time 25 Mar 2014 11:18 #229221

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
I had a thought over the weekend

The Mishna in Avos says

(2) משנה מסכת אבות פרק ד
יז) הוא היה אומר, יפה שעה אחת בתשובה ומעשים טובים בעולם הזה, מכל חיי העולם הבא.

"He used to say, One moment of repention and good deeds in this world is better than the whole life of the world to come"

The world to come does not only mean after death, anything in the future is in essence a world to come. The Taanah is coming to tell us that doing the right thing at this moment, no matter how small, is much better than all the grand plans that we have to do in the future.

Re: One day at a Time 25 Mar 2014 12:24 #229223

• Watson
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
The Beis aharon writes on the Pasuk in Tehillim (30;6)"Ki regah b'apoh, Chaim birtzonoh"

"If a person only thinks about the moment which is in front of his nose, then he will have life!"

Does anyone else find that the entire mizmor shir Chanukas habayis ledovid is talking about recovery from addiction?

Re: One day at a Time 25 Mar 2014 18:38 #229230

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Dr.Watson wrote:
Pidaini wrote:

Does anyone else find that the entire mizmor shir Chanukas habayis ledovid is talking about recovery from addiction?

Oh yes!!
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: One day at a Time 26 Mar 2014 02:49 #229256

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Gevura Shebyesod wrote:
Dr.Watson wrote:
Pidaini wrote:

Oh yes!!

Not really recovery from addiction. But yes, I have long found it very relevant.
?דער באשעפער לאווט מיך אייביג. וויפיל לאוו איך עהם
My Creator loves me at all times. How great is my love for him?

Re: One day at a Time 09 Jun 2014 09:41 #233078

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
MBJ wrote:
Beha'aloscha starts with the commandment to Aharon to light the Menorah. We all know the famous Rashi that why is this Parsha of Menora near the Parsha of the Nesi'im. Aharon was saddened that Shevet Levi was not part of the grand pageantry that was the Chanuchas Hamizbeach. So Hashem tells Moshe to tell Aharon that his work is greater than theirs since he gets to light the Menorah everyday.
What the Nesi'im did was great. It was a huge show. Everyday for 12 days they come in with their silver, gold, 21 animals for sacrifice, incense and meal offering. I am sure there was much fanfare and everyone in Klal Yisroel was super excited and juiced up. They were probably telling themselves about all the great things that they were going to do. But we all know how these super glowing feelings fade. One day turns into the next and then the next, and you miss a day and a week and you fall behind and say well why am I doing this? Oh I'll just do that tomorrow, one slip won't kill me.
Contrast with Aharon's task. It was a relatively simple one. It was witnessed by few, there was no fanfare, just everyday going and lighting the menorah. But it was EVERYDAY. He could not miss even one day. This is the way to real growth, small steps everyday. No excuses why today is no good. No saying I'll just do it tomorrow. Take the steady consistent path everyday. So while what the Nesi'im did was amazing, what Aharon was tasked to do was even greater.

Re: One day at a Time 09 Jun 2014 18:19 #233110

• dd
  • Platinum Boarder
  • כל זמן שהנשמה בקרבי מודה אני לפניך
MendelZ wrote:
We say in Kabolas Shabbos - "Hayom im b'kolo tishma'u" , "Today, if you listen to His voice". Usually, when we worry about the past or the future - anything other than what's before us in this moment - its because we are trying to accomplish something other than ratzon Hashem, namely our own personal design. Or we have accepted upon ourselves the responsibilty of becoming something that we aren't meant to become. A tzadik, a perfect person, etc. Its all self driven. If we were interested to hear what Hashem's voice is demanding of us, we would be so liberated. We would be free to do only that which is on our plate today. "Hayom" - All we need to do is "today", "if we listen to HIS voice", as opposed to our own.

Or: "Hayom" we will have the gift of today, meaning real life and what living today fully offers us, if we are listening to His voice and not our own. Hashem demands so much less than we demand of ourselves. He just wants us to do His will in the moment. That's it. But we want madreigos, to be tzadikim. We think our avodah should be perfect. Maybe not right away, but we think that perfection is the ultimate goal. And those demands that we put on ourselves and the harsh lenses that we see ourselves through rob us of "today". And we never experience real life in the moment. So we can only have "Hayom" if "b'kolo tishma'u".

עיין ליקוטי מוהר"ן סימן ער"ב

yankel i hope your ok with that,
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2014 18:20 by dd.

Re: One day at a Time 09 Jun 2014 18:28 #233111

• dd
  • Platinum Boarder
  • כל זמן שהנשמה בקרבי מודה אני לפניך
let me share a insight i saw this past shabbos in פנים יפות,

פרשת בהעלותך בד"ה והאספסף

"ובאמת שלא כדת עשו לדאוג לצרת מחר"

ע"ש באריכות ענין חטא המתאוננים
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds