Welcome, Guest

On the way... Again
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: On the way... Again 5470 Views

Re: On the way... Again 01 Sep 2024 14:44 #420496

• livingagain
  • Expert Boarder
hopefulposek wrote on 29 Aug 2024 19:34:
I just got a new phone and it hasn't been filtered yet. I am posting this as an accountability. I will IY"H post when it gets filtered which will hopefully be today or tomorrow.

Thinking that I should probably give the phone to someone else to hold until it gets filtered...

You need a filter asap

Re: On the way... Again 01 Sep 2024 14:56 #420501

hopefulposek wrote on 30 Aug 2024 19:51:
BH, yup, got it last night, very happy with it. Thanks Frank.Lee for checking in on me

R' hopefulswan89 I guess you missed the quoted post. 

Re: On the way... Again 01 Sep 2024 15:11 #420506

• livingagain
  • Expert Boarder
hopefulposek wrote on 12 Aug 2024 16:25:
"hopefulposek" post=418998 date=1723479928 catid=4

Hi, Posting to keep grounded. B"H still clean and things are going well. Still have normal guy taaveh but feeling ok with where I'm holding. Intimacy is unsatisfactory and lots of frustration triggers at home, but that's part of life. the key is understand where the frustration comes from, give myself space to feel those feelings and slowly come to terms with the current situation. One thought which has helped me tremendously in combating anxiety which preludes frustration many times aimed at my wife (which can then lead to feelings of frustration in intimacy, manifesting in desires for other women who will "better understand and please me"), is that "I will take care of myself. I will make sure that I am cared for in whatever fashion necessary." I was surprised at how much this helped me, but I found it useful. I believe because much anxiety is catastrophizing situations ending in my being miserable, or not being able to do something exciting or important to me, and this thought reminded me that even if my wife is not going to be able to help me with what I need, I will help myself. 

On the point of the frustrating intimacy, I found one thought which had helped me in the past but I had stopped using it for no reason. But first, my initial thought which helped the frustration in the intimacy is "I don't need sex to survive and be happy." This is fundamental in combating an addictive/compulsive behavior which one uses for emotional regulation and escape. Constantly (daily) reminding yourself that what you have taught yourself and what your brain is telling you is false. However, even though this helped me be ok with not having sex anymore, I still had the frustration when we would have sex and it felt like a chore, like I simply existed for the sake of pleasuring my wife. So I changed the thought a tad and found it helpful, "I don't need lust to survive and be happy." Not %100 sure why it helped me so much, but I remember not being resentful and frustrated during intimacy then, I think pshat is that now I'm happy with whatever level of enjoyment I get from being together with my wife even if it doesn't have a lustful atmosphere to it. I am separating the lustfulness from the sex and therefore find the pleasure and meaning in just being together.
There will still be the physical discomfort of getting all revved up and then denied the release, but it's also not comfortable to see a very attractive girl, get aroused and then not masturbate. It is ok to be uncomfortable. I think the best thing for that is to discuss with my wife (which I have tried already unsuccessfully) that it is extremely uncomfortable to be left without release at the end of intimacy, but I'm not sure because once you tell her then if she doesn't fulfill it will create frustration.

On a related note, I would like to get back to regular journaling, I fell out of it a few weeks back and it makes a discernable impact.

Hope this is helpful for the hopefuls out there, just got to keep learning about ourselves and be honest with our situation.

We feel for you. That can be very frustrating. It’s basically sadistic on her part. What’s her rationale?
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2024 15:20 by livingagain.

Re: On the way... Again 01 Sep 2024 15:17 #420508

• livingagain
  • Expert Boarder
stopsurvivingstartliving wrote on 01 Sep 2024 14:56:

hopefulposek wrote on 30 Aug 2024 19:51:
BH, yup, got it last night, very happy with it. Thanks Frank.Lee for checking in on me

R' hopefulswan89 I guess you missed the quoted post. 

Yup I did

Re: On the way... Again 02 Sep 2024 01:17 #420573

• hopefulposek
  • Current streak: 199 days
  • Gold Boarder
hopefulswan89 wrote on 01 Sep 2024 15:11:

hopefulposek wrote on 12 Aug 2024 16:25:
"hopefulposek" post=418998 date=1723479928 catid=4

Hi, Posting to keep grounded. B"H still clean and things are going well. Still have normal guy taaveh but feeling ok with where I'm holding. Intimacy is unsatisfactory and lots of frustration triggers at home, but that's part of life. the key is understand where the frustration comes from, give myself space to feel those feelings and slowly come to terms with the current situation. One thought which has helped me tremendously in combating anxiety which preludes frustration many times aimed at my wife (which can then lead to feelings of frustration in intimacy, manifesting in desires for other women who will "better understand and please me"), is that "I will take care of myself. I will make sure that I am cared for in whatever fashion necessary." I was surprised at how much this helped me, but I found it useful. I believe because much anxiety is catastrophizing situations ending in my being miserable, or not being able to do something exciting or important to me, and this thought reminded me that even if my wife is not going to be able to help me with what I need, I will help myself. 

On the point of the frustrating intimacy, I found one thought which had helped me in the past but I had stopped using it for no reason. But first, my initial thought which helped the frustration in the intimacy is "I don't need sex to survive and be happy." This is fundamental in combating an addictive/compulsive behavior which one uses for emotional regulation and escape. Constantly (daily) reminding yourself that what you have taught yourself and what your brain is telling you is false. However, even though this helped me be ok with not having sex anymore, I still had the frustration when we would have sex and it felt like a chore, like I simply existed for the sake of pleasuring my wife. So I changed the thought a tad and found it helpful, "I don't need lust to survive and be happy." Not %100 sure why it helped me so much, but I remember not being resentful and frustrated during intimacy then, I think pshat is that now I'm happy with whatever level of enjoyment I get from being together with my wife even if it doesn't have a lustful atmosphere to it. I am separating the lustfulness from the sex and therefore find the pleasure and meaning in just being together.
There will still be the physical discomfort of getting all revved up and then denied the release, but it's also not comfortable to see a very attractive girl, get aroused and then not masturbate. It is ok to be uncomfortable. I think the best thing for that is to discuss with my wife (which I have tried already unsuccessfully) that it is extremely uncomfortable to be left without release at the end of intimacy, but I'm not sure because once you tell her then if she doesn't fulfill it will create frustration.

On a related note, I would like to get back to regular journaling, I fell out of it a few weeks back and it makes a discernable impact.

Hope this is helpful for the hopefuls out there, just got to keep learning about ourselves and be honest with our situation.

We feel for you. That can be very frustrating. It’s basically sadistic on her part. What’s her rationale?

There are a few things that can make a woman not in the mood of "finishing". She could just have been in the mood for snuggling and even though I step it up a notch she still isn't in the mood. She could be very tired and OK with some interaction but is more falling asleep to the intimcay then getting revved up by it (which I understand to be a common difference between men and women). Or she could feel overly stimulated after she finishes and then is uncomfortable continuing. Any which way I don't think the average wife is sadistic or selfish, they may just not understand the intense discomfort and emotional stress which it puts men under, as women at times enjoy simply being close and intimate without actually having intercourse.
"Greatness is forged in battle" - Reb Yerucham Levovitz
My Journey - https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/399197-On-the-way-Again
Feel Free to Reach out to me through email at hopefulposek613@gmail.com
Or my google voice at 3476447501

Re: On the way... Again 02 Sep 2024 01:34 #420577

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
So excited for the zman to start, going to have a well structured day with time to take care of myself and also give to my wife and kids, while being an awesome oveid Hashem.

An insight I had while jogging today (spoiler: long winded). I feel there have been many points in my life where I would get all worked up because I didn't have time to do things and activities which I felt were critical, such as journaling and exercising, and I would feel pinned against a wall by the weight of the various responsibilities which weighed me down and didn't allow me to care for myself. 
The idea came to me like this: There are 24 hours in a day, 30-31 days in a month, and 365 days in a year.
I have a list of various responsibilities that I have either accepted upon myself or have been given to me by a higher power. I must look at this list and do the best job of fulfilling these responsibilities with the time and resources which I have been given.
One of these responsibilities is to care for the body and mind the Hashem has given me to use to work in this world. I must care for this Guf because without it, I will not be able to attend my other jobs. I don't have to be %100 everyday but I must in general take care of myself.
Beyond that is my family, my parents, my friends, and my community. These are responsibilities in and of themselves, but they also are part of my self care.
There is also my job as a yid to learn torah and do mitzvos. Again these are their own job, but they also help with my self care (to feel successful and growing).
I have been given 24 hrs in the day and I must do the best that I can do with that time. The self care must happen because without it I will not be able to accomplish the rest of my responsibilities. That means that if after taking care of myself, and taking care of my wife and kids, I don't have time to fulfill my other responsibilities, then that is ok. I am not asked to be more than I can be, Hashem only expects what he has enabled us to do. 
Now that being said, it is our job to try to fulfill all these responsibilities to the best of our ability, but I believe that self care comes first, for otherwise you will be left with nothing.
But remember that having a connection with friends and having a strong family unit and learning torah and doing mitzvos are all part of self care, but you just have to do what you can with what you have.

This comes form my bugging out at the end of last zman that I didn't have any time to spend with friends because of the yeshiva schedule and my responsibilities to my wife. also I need to focus myself to journal this zman and continue running even through the winter.
My Journey - https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/399197-On-the-way-Again

Re: On the way... Again 02 Sep 2024 01:42 #420578

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
Felt very good today, I went for a long jog this morning and as usual there were many others on the trails as well, but today every time I saw a women approaching I reminded myself: What she's wearing, and how fast she's going, and what her stride looks like doesn't matter. Killed the curiosity when I called it out. Why do I care what water bottle she has, or how fast she's going or any of the other stupid reasons to glance her way, it's all dumb! B"H mostly worked and felt really good to fix this particular arena of struggle.

Re: On the way... Again 04 Sep 2024 03:50 #420773

• Hashem Help Me
  • Current streak: 2845 days
  • Platinum Boarder
hopefulposek wrote on 02 Sep 2024 01:17:

There are a few things that can make a woman not in the mood of "finishing". She could just have been in the mood for snuggling and even though I step it up a notch she still isn't in the mood. She could be very tired and OK with some interaction but is more falling asleep to the intimcay then getting revved up by it (which I understand to be a common difference between men and women). Or she could feel overly stimulated after she finishes and then is uncomfortable continuing. Any which way I don't think the average wife is sadistic or selfish, they may just not understand the intense discomfort and emotional stress which it puts men under, as women at times enjoy simply being close and intimate without actually having intercourse.

Very important post! Should be given to all chassanim.
Feel free to contact me at michelgelner@gmail.com

My threads: Lessons Learned: guardyoureyes.com/forum/20-Important-Threads/335248-Lessons-Learned

My Story and G-d Bless GYE: guardyoureyes.com/forum/17-Balei-Battims-Forum/303036-My-story-and-G-d-bless-GYE

Re: On the way... Again 04 Sep 2024 18:12 #420797

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
B"h the zman is starting out well, so far my schedule is working out nicely and I'm able to do the things I enjoy, have time to relax and also take care of my responsibilities. Halevei Vaiter
It really helped me to set aside time each week (about an hour and a half) to take care of chores that build up, so I'm not forced to regularly sacrifice other parts of my schedule. Obviously this will happen on occasion but I hope that having a zman to take care of stuff will help.

Re: On the way... Again 06 Sep 2024 11:28 #420877

• frank.lee
  • Current streak: 398 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Brilliant idea to build in time in your schedule to catch up on tasks! Thanks for the idea.

Re: On the way... Again 06 Sep 2024 13:14 #420879

• proudyungerman
  • Current streak: 298 days
  • Platinum Boarder
frank.lee wrote on 06 Sep 2024 11:28:
Brilliant idea to build in time in your schedule to catch up on tasks! Thanks for the idea.

Second that!
Feel free to reach out and say hi!
proudyungerman@gmail.com
406-219-8398

My Journey:
guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/406231-The-Real-Me

Re: On the way... Again 17 Sep 2024 18:21 #421731

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
Only have a few minutes, but wanted to share a L'chaim! Just reached 6 Months Clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also got rid of non jewish music, big step for me. especially while running

Re: On the way... Again 17 Sep 2024 18:48 #421738

• upanddown
  • Current streak: 171 days
  • Expert Boarder
hopefulposek wrote on 17 Sep 2024 18:21:
Only have a few minutes, but wanted to share a L'chaim! Just reached 6 Months Clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also got rid of non jewish music, big step for me. especially while running

I'm going to join you in that Lechaim right now..
What a great achievement! You're a real inspiration!
Having a double shot of whiskey... Lechaim!!
My favourite resources:
1. "Zos Brisi". A Likut of fantastic Mareh Mekomos and Chizukim. hebrewbooks.org/56572
Message me privately if you'd like me to send you a sharp PDF version of it.
2. "Sha'arei Gedula". An inspiring & 'down to earth' Sefer. hebrewbooks.org/48344
3. "The Battle of the Generation". guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation

Every stage in life comes with new challenges, see my threads: Emunah struggles, Celebrating a fall, I'm fed up(my main thread), I'm drowning, Tips for Shmiras Einayim

Re: On the way... Again 19 Sep 2024 18:25 #421919

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
Ok I wanted to type out something to express how meaningful this milestone is to me.
Firstly, this is the longest I have ever gone clean from P and M since starting 13 years ago.

When I looked at the calendar on tuesday and realized that I had made it so far I spent some time thinking back to the struggles of the past years and particularly the past six months, some of which were extremely difficult for me. I wasovercome with shock when I looked at all the challenges and pain I had faced all at once. It was overwhelming. How in the world could someone survive such a brutal onslaught of pain and suffering?
I was reminded of a gemara at the end of succah (somewhere around nun something) the Hashem will show the Yetzer harah to tzaddikim and reshaim and they will both cry. to the tzadikkim it will appear as an enormous mountain and they will cry "how were we able to overcome this large mountain?" Rashi interperats it to means they will be crying when they remember the tzaar they went through. Having the shtark realization of how much pain I went through was a very emotional experience.
Thank you to all who were a part of it. 

Re: On the way... Again 26 Sep 2024 18:07 #422455

• hopefulposek
  • Gold Boarder
Follow up to my last post (I really never have the proper amount of time to fully write down my thoughts):
I vividly recall talking to an older kollel yungerman with whom I have a very close relationship (and as far as I am aware does not share this struggle), and sharing with him my feelings that 1) I would rather my wife not go to the mikvah because then I will once again have to deal with the emotional pain of rejection, being let down, beating myself up for false expectations and yiush over ever enjoying intimacy and having and loving close relationship with my wife. And 2) that although I was not suicidal and was not contemplating self harm, I would rather be die than have to continue life the way it was, with the emotional pain and unable to self medicate with porn.
Needless to say he felt deeply for me and expressed sympathy for the pain I was in, and continued to be a tremendous pillar of support when I needed someone to lean on. 
Now as I recall these conversations I am stunned. I actually felt that I would rather have my life end than continue to live in pain and frustration and loneliness. 

Recently I was listening to a talk given by a heroin addict about his journey through addiction and eventual recovery, I was surprised to feel that I connected to many of the ideas he expressed, especially this feeling of desiring to have my life end just to escape the painful existence. I do not believe that the struggle I had can properly be compared to the great trial and harrowing existence of a full blown heroin addict, but the fact that I resonated with him at all showed me just how much pain I was in in those darkest hours.

In writing this I wish to give hope to those who find themselves struggling with those same feelings, of being in so much pain and discomfort that you wish you could embrace the nonfeeling and emptiness of death. It is possible to make it through and though it may take some weeks months or even years, there is a great sunshine waiting to bathe you in its warmth at the end of your journey. Please, hold on and keep on getting back up. You don't need this drug to be happy and there is a beautiful world for you to experience without it.
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes