Welcome, Guest

Loosing the luster
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Loosing the luster 5652 Views

Re: Loosing the luster 24 May 2020 07:40 #350257

• Jj123
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Expert Boarder
Lost myself for a while.
Here to say I am trying again.
Don't think I'll be as involved here this time around, as I feel myself becoming a bit burned out of gye.
I am posting to concretize my commitment.
So for the first time in 2 weeks, I am proudly saying
Day #0

Re: Loosing the luster 24 May 2020 10:38 #350258

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Mazal Tov on trying again!

Welcome back!
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com

Re: Loosing the luster 24 May 2020 12:34 #350262

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
GYE ain't so hot, why you burning?

Welcome back! I missed the luster :O

"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Loosing the luster 23 Jul 2020 21:57 #352961

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
Hey.
been active on some othee threads recently but decided to post again here.
I recently read about the taphsic method. Truth is I'm too scared to make a shvua. It's literally playing with fire. Anyone have any experiences with other similar methods, or know a way to implement taphsic like method without a shvua?
Honestly it makes me uncomfortable in general that shvuis are encouraged in any way, but that's not really the point of this post.
i really like the idea of the double knas, light and heavy, but feel extremely uncomfortable using it with a shvua.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Loosing the luster 23 Jul 2020 22:44 #352967

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
The reason for the shvua is to force you to implement the punishment or kabbalah. Meaning without a shvua if you chsv"sh fell its really hard to get yourself to give a few hundred dollars to tzedaka. A method I found helpful instead of swearing was to give a close friend a check for a large amount of money and tell him that you made a kabbalah about something (don't specify) or add something simple that's not embarrassing and tell him that it's for that. Ask him to keep on top of you and ask you every day or two if you are still keeping up and if you fall he MUST deposit it. If not in the future it wont help. 

Also make sure it's not that large a sum that you won't be honest in the face of losing so much. (I used this method which worked wonders after a while I lost the first amount-$500 so I upped it but my friend wasn't on top of me because he expected me to let him know when I fell because that's what I did the first time around...so since I didn't want to lose so much I never told him)

Hatzlacha,
                           Grant 

Re: Loosing the luster 24 Jul 2020 05:01 #352978

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 23 Jul 2020 22:44:
The reason for the shvua is to force you to implement the punishment or kabbalah. Meaning without a shvua if you chsv"sh fell its really hard to get yourself to give a few hundred dollars to tzedaka. A method I found helpful instead of swearing was to give a close friend a check for a large amount of money and tell him that you made a kabbalah about something (don't specify) or add something simple that's not embarrassing and tell him that it's for that. Ask him to keep on top of you and ask you every day or two if you are still keeping up and if you fall he MUST deposit it. If not in the future it wont help. 

Also make sure it's not that large a sum that you won't be honest in the face of losing so much. (I used this method which worked wonders after a while I lost the first amount-$500 so I upped it but my friend wasn't on top of me because he expected me to let him know when I fell because that's what I did the first time around...so since I didn't want to lose so much I never told him)

Hatzlacha,
                           Grant 

This can work but calls for you to be really honest. If you use webchaver or something similar or are password protected then it may work to have the same person for both unless it is bypassable for you then this might not work.

Nice to see you posting again, Jj123, especially on other threads. Helping others really helps yourself.

Keep this going.
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com

Re: Loosing the luster 24 Jul 2020 19:05 #353000

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
@Grant400 @willnevergiveup thanks for the responses.
next I'm trying to figure out the things to do when I get an urge to avoid the big knas.
Ideas I have so far:
Read for 20 mins in a room others frequent.
Listen to music for 20 mins in a room others frequent
Throw 50 pitches
Shoot 40 shots (basketball)

I think the last 2 are better than the first 2 but I need some other options for when it's late. Don't think learning will work well for me since Ill probably just gloss over/skim it.
Any suggestions to replace/improve 1&2?
also, is 20 mins a good amount of time?
Too short? Unnecessarily long?
Thanks!

Re: Loosing the luster 24 Jul 2020 19:40 #353001

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Personally I don't have any experience regarding this method but I'd still like the opportunity to share my opinion. 

We all know that good intentions don't always pan out. Meaning, even if you decide to do something before acting out it may not happen because of the desire. So the way I see it is that if you overdo it and require something too big or long you may just say "to heck with it". The point of this method is that when a person feels the desire he says ok I may fall now but before I do I must at least do something. Obviously he hopes that in the interim he will calm down and overcome. But his intention at the same time is that after he does the required action he will (may) indulge in the forbidden. So now my point is that if he requires of himself something that is too grand, demanding or takes to much time, in the face of desire he won't necessarily be able to stop and practice his planned method. But if it is a short something he will be able to hold off for a few minutes and hopefully during that time he will regain his proper perspective. 

So in my opinion something complex like going to shoot baskets, and for 20 minutes is way too demanding. Something convenient and for a shorter time I think will be easier and more realistic and at the same time be more effective. 

Again, I have no experience, just my opinion. 

Arrivederrci,
                                    Grant
Last Edit: 24 Jul 2020 20:22 by grant400.

Re: Loosing the luster 26 Jul 2020 03:27 #353011

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
I'm nine days in to my current reboot and haven't committed to a plan yet.
A few questions about taphsic before I go for it.
1) For the Taphsic method, should p&m actually be an option in my mind if I do whatever it is to make it a small k'nas? Trying to work out the correct mindset here.
2) If I do fall and pay the small knas does that mean I didn't implement it well? Or that I need more internal motivation?
3) Happy to hear other persectives on the actions that I've chosen. (2 posts ago. Ty grant for responding!)
Thanks!

Re: Loosing the luster 26 Jul 2020 05:13 #353015

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
Anyone know if the handbook is available for download as a PDF in the mobile app? The current ebook format is giving me issues

Re: Loosing the luster 26 Jul 2020 13:50 #353023

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Jj123 wrote on 26 Jul 2020 05:13:
Anyone know if the handbook is available for download as a PDF in the mobile app? The current ebook format is giving me issues

Ask support to email it to you as a pdf. They've done it for me for different ebooks.

Re: Loosing the luster 27 Jul 2020 03:02 #353036

• realestatemogul
  • Current streak: 1290 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Good to see you around Jj123!!!

Hope to see more of you.

Re: Loosing the luster 28 Jul 2020 04:13 #353075

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
Just finished writing and signing my taphsic.
didnt feel comfortable witht the shvua so i hope I can keep myself honest.
I know I can afford the knasos, and the higher one is not something I'd flush.
I had a specific loophole that I was fond(?) Of using so I counted that in the definition of a fall.
Hopefully this can help!

Re: Loosing the luster 30 Jul 2020 17:01 #353152

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
Thirteen days in. Haven't had any real trouble the past few days. But not to fear, it'll hit sometime soon.
there was one line in kinnos today that hit home:
תענית ואבן ורדוף ההבל בצאתי מירושלים
It makes alot of sense why these three things, fasting, mourning, and chasing futility would be in the same sentence. Often times there is a vicious cycle of teshuva/fasting/mourning and chasing הבל that is so destructive.
To break this spiral one ח"ו gives up for time being, or commits to going through the pain of change. And it's painful. It can be easy to get stuck in the hamster wheel of תענית ואבן ורדוף ההבל. And it seems that that is what happened in the times of the churban.May we all have the guts and motivation to invest in ourselves in a committed and thought-through fashion, and correct the mistakes of the generation of the destruction and all of the generations after, and in doing so be among the שובי ירושלים

Re: Loosing the luster 03 Aug 2020 14:53 #353286

• Jj123
  • Expert Boarder
17 days in.
Suprise suprise, urges are getting stronger.
I slipped a bit and it just makes it harder.
I need to supplement the Taphsic method with other tools/strategies/motivations since it isn't really designed to stop slips. And often times slips lead to falls.
Next goal: 3 weeks
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes