Welcome, Guest
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: My struggle 3655 Views

My struggle 31 Aug 2016 17:11 #294573

• trinityofnow
  • Current streak: 100 days
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been addicted for over 20 years starting at age 13. I was brought up in a secular family and up until recently had no idea Torah prohibits masturbation. I knew I've had a real problem for the last 10 years, but only recently realized how much of an effect it had on all areas of my life. My social life and anxiety. My inability to be with and the fear of intimacy with women. Destroyed potential and real relationships with great women who would make great wives. Lack of achievement career wise. Passing on and destroying great opportunities to do what I love. Isolating from friends and family. Escalating into health and mental issues, into risky behaviors that endangers my well being. Lack of care and wanting to punish myself and hit bottom already, getting into trouble with the law. Financial losses, destruction to relationships, and opportunities to change. Turning away from God's extended hand of spending time in Yeshiva, doing what I love, among people I loved, turning my back to all of that, all because of this addiction. Therapy, experimenting with psychedelics, all to try and get a handle on myself. A real struggle.

I'm sure if I don't get a handle on this now I will either end dead or in hell along with people most dear to me. So I find myself with a glimmer of hope now, with the third attempt of rebuilding this temple, with the knowledge and experience of what happened before. I do feel hope, God saved me to find myself not on the very bottom of this pit, but somewhere where I can still climb out, but it feels like it's the last chance before I fall into the very bottom of it and into oblivion. 

Hope this will help with my struggle and wish you all luck and God's help to deal with yours.

Re: My struggle 31 Aug 2016 18:06 #294578

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Thanks for your open and honest share. I can relate to much what you are saying and experiencing. One of the things that jumps out is the point that regardless of whether or not Torah permits or prohibits mastutrbation, it is ruining your life.  
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: My struggle 31 Aug 2016 18:07 #294579

• cordnoy
Welcome,

Good idea not to hit bottom, but it's important to know that there is no bottom that cannot be climbed out of.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: My struggle 31 Aug 2016 18:30 #294581

• trinityofnow
  • Fresh Boarder
serenity wrote on 31 Aug 2016 18:06:
 One of the things that jumps out is the point that regardless of whether or not Torah permits or prohibits mastutrbation, it is ruining your life.  

Yes of course, but I believe Torah prohibits it to avoid the struggle that I'm going through. It's not a blind faith for me on that commandment, that's for sure.   Thanks for your supportive words.
Last Edit: 31 Aug 2016 18:32 by trinityofnow.

Re: My struggle 31 Aug 2016 21:17 #294588

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
So if it wouldn't cause this huge struggle for you Torah would permit? Many people don't go through this struggle. They either sin or they don't and if they do they do teshuvah and move on. Maybe they will sin again in a few months in a moment of weakness, but it doesn't turn into an obsession.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: My struggle 01 Sep 2016 00:23 #294596

• trinityofnow
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes maybe I put too much or the wrong meaning into that commandment. But interestingly, and maybe off topic for our purpose here, the practice of semen retention is a powerful one on many levels. Maybe part of it is a pointer to that fact. Im sure conserving this energy to direct towards meeting a girl and getting married, and having the energy to maintain connection in marriage also is part of it. Plenty of good reasons.

Re: My struggle 01 Sep 2016 15:22 #294625

• Josephsbrother
  • Current streak: 926 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank my Creator for His Loving Kindnesss
trinityofnow wrote on 01 Sep 2016 00:23:
Yes maybe I put too much or the wrong meaning into that commandment. But interestingly, and maybe off topic for our purpose here, the practice of semen retention is a powerful one on many levels. Maybe part of it is a pointer to that fact. Im sure conserving this energy to direct towards meeting a girl and getting married, and having the energy to maintain connection in marriage also is part of it. Plenty of good reasons.

You are on a journey with our Maker, as all of us come to know ourselves, come to love ourselves. Prov. 4:18, this for me required knowledge of our Maker faithfulness, and the effort of other humans like here, is so we will add the step of directly seeking for an Infinite awe relationship, shared with us from our Maker, it required me to trust the universe Spirit to teach, guide, correct, and to daily, maybe even nano second help if need be! The 12 step principle make our agreement with our Maker, the G-d as we presently know Him, that is One meets us where we are, and leads us from there.  Here you have others who are travelling in the journey of struggle, and victory. Many are tempted to slip, yet in our weakness we are learning to trust and lean upon the Infinite to stand governor of our desires, and our souls. 

Re: My struggle 02 Sep 2016 19:29 #294680

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Welcome!

Re: My struggle 30 Nov 2016 21:37 #298884

• trinityofnow
  • Fresh Boarder
Today is my 90. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but I feel it's real progress, the longest I have gone. I feel better, more hopeful.

Today I will ask a rabbi I know to get a Tefillin, my first one, and learn the daily prayer. Also have it be a reminder of the exodus from Egypt and the house of bondage. And ask God to help me with this. 

Wishing you all success on your own journey as well.

Re: My struggle 30 Nov 2016 21:49 #298885

• cordnoy
Thanks for the blessing.
 thanksI for the share.
Wishing you continued success.
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: My struggle 30 Nov 2016 21:49 #298886

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Great News!  Thanks for sharing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes