Welcome, Guest

what to do about movies
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: what to do about movies 2172 Views

what to do about movies 09 Jul 2015 21:29 #259170

• lamplighter
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Senior Boarder
i am watching movies sometimes and that help me relaxing a little bit the only problem is that very often you find some shmutz in movies that could "wake up" the addiction!

should i stop movies completely? (it could be very hard sometimes)
or there is a way to do it? like watching with someone??
all the best!

ONE day at a time!!
_ _ _
why is my name lamplighter?
the answer is in the link below!
youtu.be/iasAOfWA_4s

Re: what to do about movies 09 Jul 2015 21:41 #259171

• abd297
  • Gold Boarder
I have been wondering the same thing since I started GYE. Hopefully someone can give us some advice. It's not just shmutz, it also just actresses who can turn me on. It's like walking down the street for me. Even by movies and TV shows that have nothing bad or women scantily dressed. Anyway, keep it up. Hopefully this can make for some great and informational discussion. KOP
Let Hashem Do His Job!

We need to jump off the conveyor belt of life and walk on our own.

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Re: what to do about movies 09 Jul 2015 21:58 #259174

• polar bear
  • Expert Boarder
When I joined GYE I stopped internet altogether. I don't even search for the weather. It helps, because sometimes you're watching something clean and one thing leads to the next...

It relaxes me to watch movies as well, and interestingly enough, I actually joined GYE to quit my movie watching. ('Guard Your Eyes' can mean anything) Once I was here and found out what GYE was really about, I figured 'Hey, I have an acting out problem too, might as well take care of that as well'. So here I am - act out clean and movie free.

As for the relaxing. There is none for me anymore.

Life starts at the end of your comfort zone.

Re: what to do about movies 09 Jul 2015 23:46 #259182

• yojo
  • Fresh Boarder
Just thinking...
I also have some sort of freeing my mind through TV episodes although I can't say I do it alot but from time to time I can become glued to other things on youtube as well,
I stepped away from Movies a while ago (7+ years) because of the distraction it made me have, and also I was a different person in that time when I was watching them (doing crazy moves to mimic or use language, all subconsciously) just not me so I wasn't a addicted and I did take some steps to stay away, (Alot because became more busy, Or I took alternatives like youtube)
But in your case I think you should start handling the issue by let's say watching with your spouse together if that's an option or some sort of working with the problem than away from it,
And by the way I don't have enough ink here.... but I once spoke to a friend which was OTD same age as me (under 30) and he was doing all this stuff but a while ago he was amazingly bringing out to me a point what happens when you start thinking that this actor that you so look up on and think about..... and sometimes you feel you want to be him/her in whatever situation... is so full of nothing as they themselves can be on the news for so many different negativity including Divorces/ Drug addicts, Fighting/punching (sometime there own wife), Sex offending, and so on, and that all comes to show how they are in real life that you so much want to be like...... and it looks like everyday there is another story, I probably didn't bring it out all the way but the idea is here as I said I don't have enough ink,
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2015 23:49 by yojo.

Re: what to do about movies 09 Jul 2015 23:53 #259183

• cordnoy
If they trigger you, don't watch em!
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 00:21 #259186

• neshamaincharge
  • Current streak: 3689 days
  • Platinum Boarder
polar bear wrote:

Life starts at the end of your comfort zone.

I like it!!!

Can someone tell me how to add a quote to your signature?

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 00:32 #259187

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Come to the GYE 10pm EST call to shmooze, get truthful and relax. Or just listen to us talk about our lives; it's much more entertaining than fiction.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 00:35 #259188

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Go to "My personal homepage."
Look for "Your features and settings."
Click on "Forums Settings"
Click on "Profile information" tab
You will see a bunch of fields.
The "Personal text" field is for a short slogan, message, or personal description that will appear below where it says "_______ Boarder under your Avatar.
The "Signature" field is anything you want in your signature. Have fun getting that all lined up the way you want it. I think I spent an hour on it. If you want to link something, you can just paste the link there. If you want to make a hyper link (or whatever it's called) ask Cords for the format.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 02:29 #259196

• polar bear
  • Expert Boarder
I got it from one of GYEs 'doses of inspiration'.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 02:42 #259199

• recover
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Fresh Boarder
I have the same issue with movies & tv shows, I think the only solution is to stay away. Easier said then done. As far as relaxing goes the best I have been able to do is mindfulness exersizes which don't always work. May we all have success.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 02:45 #259200

• polar bear
  • Expert Boarder
I haven't managed to connect the dots yet, but whenever I 'fell' to watching a movie, a show - I would have a harder time with the 'acting out' struggle. Even if was a 'clean' show.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 10:02 #259208

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
This is one of my biggest challenges nowadays.

When I had a long sober period, I was also clean from playing online games and watching movies.

The dots are pretty clear for me. The main idea as to why I love watching movies is that they are exciting, they are 1-2 hours of adrenaline, thrill, and suspense. They give me something that I feel lacking in my real life, I don't find my life exciting enough, I expect more!

The outcomes are the same as well, I waste time on something completely nonconstructive at best and usually they are even destructive (violence, romance, crime, immorality, etc). I end up spending much more time on them then I "plan" on spending and they interfere with my schedule.

All that just feeds my nonacceptance of life, my obsession that I can do something to make my life "better". It directly conflicts with the idea of acceptance to Hashem's design of my life.

I know that it goes hand in hand, but.......

This is for sure something that I need to give up, I need help finding the willingness to do it though.....

Well, there you go, I just deleted all my downloaded movies (except for one that has no sexual triggers...I guess I really am addicted)

I know that I can always get them again, but for now, that is certainly a start.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Have a great Shabbos!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 15:23 #259230

• cordnoy
Pidaini wrote:
This is one of my biggest challenges nowadays.

When I had a long sober period, I was also clean from playing online games and watching movies.

The dots are pretty clear for me. The main idea as to why I love watching movies is that they are exciting, they are 1-2 hours of adrenaline, thrill, and suspense. They give me something that I feel lacking in my real life, I don't find my life exciting enough, I expect more!

The outcomes are the same as well, I waste time on something completely nonconstructive at best and usually they are even destructive (violence, romance, crime, immorality, etc). I end up spending much more time on them then I "plan" on spending and they interfere with my schedule.

All that just feeds my nonacceptance of life, my obsession that I can do something to make my life "better". It directly conflicts with the idea of acceptance to Hashem's design of my life.

I know that it goes hand in hand, but.......

This is for sure something that I need to give up, I need help finding the willingness to do it though.....

Well, there you go, I just deleted all my downloaded movies (except for one that has no sexual triggers...I guess I really am addicted)

I know that I can always get them again, but for now, that is certainly a start.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Have a great Shabbos!!

Heck of a post!
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 17:31 #259238

• shlomo613
  • Current streak: 32 days
  • Platinum Boarder
R Noach Weinberg ZTZL used to ask people if their life was so boring that they need to watch a film.
Sobriety and sanity has been the most entertaining immersive (and suspenseful!) journey for me.

Re: what to do about movies 10 Jul 2015 17:47 #259239

• jack
  • Platinum Boarder
what GYE 10pm EST call are you referring to? i didnt know of such a thing.please respond thanx
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes