Welcome, Guest

Better start now [a log]
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Better start now [a log] 9496 Views

Re: Better start now [a log] 13 Mar 2015 00:22 #250428

I have been kept busy...someone's bracha seems to have had an effect No fall!
I've failed, but I'm still alive, no? And even not given that, perhaps I could try again.

כִּי יֹדֵעַ אֱלֹהִים כִּי בְּיוֹם אֲכָלְכֶם מִמֶּנּוּ וְנִפְקְחוּ עֵינֵיכֶם וִהְיִיתֶם כֵּאלֹהִים יֹדְעֵי טוֹב וָרָע:

The day has come...the fruit is Torah.

Re: Better start now [a log] 13 Mar 2015 11:46 #250446

Scrap that. Had a fall. Being at home can be difficult...Perhaps I should consider a TaPHSiC. The penalties are generally good things that we're disinclined to do?
I've failed, but I'm still alive, no? And even not given that, perhaps I could try again.

כִּי יֹדֵעַ אֱלֹהִים כִּי בְּיוֹם אֲכָלְכֶם מִמֶּנּוּ וְנִפְקְחוּ עֵינֵיכֶם וִהְיִיתֶם כֵּאלֹהִים יֹדְעֵי טוֹב וָרָע:

Re: Better start now [a log] 13 Mar 2015 21:58 #250480

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Let us know how it works out.

Hatzlacha!
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Better start now [a log] 16 Mar 2015 12:20 #250603

No vow at this point, but I've been making a point of learning the distractions that work. The cold water soak is always a good distraction. I've added in some exercise options...a very short walk, or a workout that weakens me. Nothing I do on the computer helps. A cold drink helps, and a hot one doesn't. Praying for help helps, and was key in that initial 30 days...I should get back into that.

I started asking people about what I was like a few years ago (because I don't remember). Not everyone's willing to talk or even listen, of course, and depending how I ask. Seemingly when I try to butter them up with the good things I remember about them, that works.

iy''h aforementioned good things still coming. :D

Last Edit: 16 Mar 2015 12:22 by long breaths long days.

Re: Better start now [a log] 17 Mar 2015 23:30 #250714

Where do they sell those brain filter implants? -_-

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 00:34 #250723

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
long breaths long days wrote:

Haha! Well, you know they're overrated; they filter out the good things too

Have you isolated a point in your daily activities where you're particularly vulnerable? I know, for me, isolation and idle-time are big problems.

How's your mood? Do you find that you're angry or stressed before a fall? Acting out is our way of exerting control over things we feel are uncontrollable. If you start thinking that way, you'll see patterns and connections between your mood and when you feel the need to act out.
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 11:21 #250738

• cordnoy
TalmidChaim wrote:

Haha! Well, you know they're overrated; they filter out the good things too

Have you isolated a point in your daily activities where you're particularly vulnerable? I know, for me, isolation and idle-time are big problems.

How's your mood? Do you find that you're angry or stressed before a fall? Acting out is our way of exerting control over things we feel are uncontrollable. If you start thinking that way, you'll see patterns and connections between your mood and when you feel the need to act out.

and if we find out that it's anger, stress, hungriness, restless, or whatever....then what?
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 15:07 #250745

TalmidChaim: Waking up and going to sleep. Being tired. Yesterday it was sleep deprivation (haven't had a headache that bad since high school)...I let myself be convinced to fall while I thought I was trying to take a nap. This morning...I don't know, I think it was "just" that I've had so many falls this week, without rebuilding defenses.

That combined with a feeling of helplessness...school is turning into too much for me. It's weird that that makes me feel helpless, though, as I do have a plan B that's already in motion. I guess I've fallen into society's whole "if you can't get through college you're worthless" thing.

cordnoy: If being tired is the issue, I need to be even more careful about not letting myself be tired. I had a teacher who said that when we're tired, even thinking is dangerous.

(e.g. I should make a point of going about my day in a way that when night comes, I am physically exhausted.

That recent email where someone mentioned a Shulchan Aruch about sweating for a mitzva as an atonement for MZ''L makes this even more important...I guess I'll even be sweating for the mitzva of "don't be MZ''L" so it's quite direct in a way. But I worry, because lately I've been falling asleep in the period of time when we're not supposed to eat a meal lest we fall asleep and miss maariv.)

Just made a one-week vow...not comfortable with using Hashem's name. Penalties involve what are (for me) long runs. Distractions are some of those I've mentioned above. We'll see how it goes.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 15:21 #250746

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
"and if we find out that it's anger, stress, hungriness, restless, or whatever....then what?"

I get your point, Cordnoy. I'm just suggesting that the OP might be particularly vulnerable at certain points of the day, or in certain states of mind. I should have mentioned, though, that it's not possible to micromanage all of these variables, and that the point is to just be aware of these vulnerabilities. Is it counter-productive to know that you're especially prone to acting out in certain situations, even if those situations are unavoidable?

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 15:27 #250747

• cordnoy
White Book

The Inner Landscape. Most of us can see how memories and fantasies can act as triggers. Intangibles we are likely to identify on our own are such things as failure, rejection, or criticism. More remotely identifiable triggers are such things as feelings of loneliness, alienation, world weariness, boredom, isolation, "the lonely crowd," and other manifestations of unfulfilled God-hunger. Also, nudging usto reach for our drug are such things as a heightened state due to anything from compulsive work, anger, resentment, anxiety, fear, excitement, or haste, to such things as stimulating foods or beverages or even intellectual or aesthetic excitement. What we seem to be discovering is that just about anything can become a trigger, indicating that there's an underlying pathology driving our thinking and behavior. This can help us see how the whole person must be involved in recovery. Recognizing and accepting our limitations thus become crucial to recovery.
Susceptibility to such triggers is one factor behind our use of the program slogan HALT-Don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.

Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 15:29 #250748

• cordnoy
TalmidChaim wrote:
Is it counter-productive to know that you're especially prone to acting out in certain situations, even if those situations are unavoidable?

Nope.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 15:38 #250750

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
..."intellectual or aesthetic excitement," Oy, well there it is in black and white. I really have to work on mellowing out too.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.

Re: Better start now [a log] 18 Mar 2015 16:29 #250754

HALT -- Nice! Thanks for this.

Re: Better start now [a log] 22 Mar 2015 11:01 #250975

Time for an update. bs''d I got something done that has been weighing me back in schoolwork...essentially there was a difficult task that required me to do something simple to start doing it, and I couldn't figure out the simple thing...that was about a month ago. I was in a good enough mood last night to figure it out -- while someone else provided emotional support. So now I'm a month behind, but not stuck any more! Thank you G-d!

Still exercising...Thursday, I discovered pull-up negatives...sore ever since. I also had the courage to ask around to figure out who to go to to get my head tefillin fixed and checked...not a simple task, apparently, and certainly a scary one.

Tuesday I discovered lentils, and I have been eating copious amounts (Three dry pounds since Tuesday)...A good source of protein AND fiber!

The shavua is helpful in several ways:
1. It's written down, and it's long, so I have to schlep over to the wall where I stuck it to read it.
2. It's written down, and has a list of distractions, so I usually don't have to think very hard to find a distraction. (Does it make sense to limit the list of distractions for the shvua to the ones that "always or usually" work? I've found there are some that only work when I'm in a certain mood, namely foot-soaking.)
3. I don't want to go for an hour-long run, so I then do the distractions.

I made the shavua when I found that I didn't want to be clean (and all that entails...anyone seen the Twilight Zone episode with the genie in a bottle?) nearly as badly as I knew I "should want to be clean". I understand where the disconnect is, but it'll be rough living up to it. Meanwhile hopefully the shavua helps.

I'm not sure whether to review the attitude handbook or start on the white book, and I'm also not sure when.

L'Chaim B'Hatzlacha

Last Edit: 22 Mar 2015 11:02 by long breaths long days. Reason: forgot a drop of l'chaim

Re: Better start now [a log] 22 Mar 2015 13:22 #250980

• cordnoy
I'm not sure whether to review the attitude handbook or start on the white book, and I'm also not sure when.L'Chaim B'Hatzlacha

tomorrow is always a good day to start.

b'hatzlachah

Time to create page: 0.67 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes