Welcome, Guest

Yaakov's Ladder
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Yaakov's Ladder 185224 Views

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Sep 2014 18:09 #239171

• lavi
  • Platinum Boarder
it sounds like r.yankel needs more time to get more specific. he did say that he is in mush mode. we all can relate to that. i'm sure that r.yankel will feel better after speaking to his friends, and then his next post will answer all your helicopter questions
i love you all

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Sep 2014 18:39 #239174

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
lavi wrote:
it sounds like r.yankel needs more time to get more specific. he did say that he is in mush mode. we all can relate to that. i'm sure that r.yankel will feel better after speaking to his friends, and then his next post will answer all your helicopter questions

well said
just want to add
העם עם הגולן יענקל!
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Sep 2014 20:52 #239201

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
plunger.jpg
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Sep 2014 21:06 #239202

• cordnoy
great one!

Can you email me the pic please?

thanks
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 09 Sep 2014 21:55 #239205

• reallygettingthere
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:

What I was missing before coming to GYE was the realization that this was a decision that I have to make. The decision isn't easy, deciding whether to be uncomfortably comfortable of comfortably uncomfortable is a very difficult one, but before coming here I didn't realize that there was an option of being comfortable with discomfort!! Before GYE I was waiting for the path that would take me away from this comfortably, without "pain" without discomfort, after GYE I learned that nobody has yet found that way, rather they have found that the way out may be uncomfortable, but it was out.

The story of my life
Roy in the SA White Book noted that we frequently prayed and it did not work...because the best we could muster was begging G-d to "Please take it away, so I will not have to give it up!

No amount of sobriety can cure the insanity -ChaimCharlie

The emmes hurts but fake chizzuk will hurt more -Bards

Remember, best block, no be there - Mr. Miyagi

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 10 Sep 2014 20:58 #239324

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
Let's try getting in another post, although I don't know how much time I have.

As goes a long tradition with cordnoy, I didn't quite get his questions and/or answers, so if you don't mind to write them straight out without the analogies

Thank you RGT, it's reassuring to see that someone related to what I wrote (not that others didn't, just at least someone actually mentioned that he did)

Other than that, I am struggling, struggling with myself to decide what I want, life or oblivion. Oblivion has a very strong pull, it takes no effort, doesn't cost anything (except for peace of mind), it offers temporary excitement, thrill, etc. whereas life has a pretty price tag on it, takes letting go of "rights", it takes humility.

That being said, I have BH experienced life, and I am feeling like I'm bottoming out. I am, BH, seeing that I want to put a stop to this, that I want to be more involved in the world out there and not in the little tiny dark world in between my shoulders.

I am seeing that by looking at the contrast between my serenity, self respect, sense of fulfillment, and happiness of when I was living, and the confusion, despair, depression of the tuning out of life.

I am seeing it by watching how my family tries to interact with me the same way they did when I was here, yet me not being there and actually getting aggravated with them for pulling me away from the oblivion, and then feeling the emptiness open wide wanting to swallow me up afterwards.

BH, I know that there is a way out. BH, I know that He is there waiting for me to just hold His outstretched arm. BH, I have friends who I can tell all this to and thereby reinforcing my decision to do what I need to do, to use the tools that I know have worked before and can, with Hashem's help, work again.

Tonight I don't need to finish the movie I started today, I can enjoy tonight without it, and actually even more than with it. Tomorrow is another day, no need to bring it into the equation now!

Thank you all for your friendship and constant support!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 10 Sep 2014 21:07 #239325

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
KOP(lungering)!!
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 10 Sep 2014 22:19 #239333

• cordnoy
Pidaini wrote:
I won't take a plunge into the unknown, into something that I don't really think is possible. It's only when I see that it is possible, just not "ideal" for me, that's the point of decision making and that's when I need to just take the plunge, to face the discomfort.

Sorry on the tradition.

TTTTOTT (as they say in Yiddish)

Where is the unknown?
You don't think it's possible!?
Do you not know that recovery is out there for you?
By a non-believer like myself, I can ask such a question, but you?
It's not unknown at all!
God is waitin' for you with outstretched hands, so cut da @#$%.
And for how long will you be waitin' to see if it possible or not?
And while we are on the subject, if it's not ideal, then you will have sefeikus!?
not sure if you're gonna plunge!?
Sorry...one mashal....a kid on the side of the pool has an option not to plunge, for it is ok where he is standing as well....perhaps it's better in the pool, but on the side is also fine.
Sir, I'm not gonna ask you if it's fine where you're standin', for I know it ain't, so plungin' (whatever da heck that means) is the only option.

b'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.
Last Edit: 10 Sep 2014 22:20 by cordnoy.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 10 Sep 2014 23:18 #239343

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for the clarification, and even more so for the TTTTOTT!!!

I'm sorry for not being so clear (already apologized at the end of that post ).

I was answering a question that I had about "Just do it", that is, it didn't work before, so why is it gonna work now?

The answer that I was getting to was that I can't just do something that isn't doable, I was running after after a nonexistent dream, and so I couldn't "just do it". However, now, after being on and learning from GYE I see something else, something that I didn't see before, a different option, an option that I know works, NOW I can "Just do it"!!

Not only can I, but that is the only way, to just do it, otherwise it ain't gonna happen. It is a action that is needed, without action it is dead (and I am dead!)!!

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 13 Sep 2014 23:48 #239489

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote:
I've seen several posts recently that say that understanding, or reason, or just making a really good schedule and sticking to it, planning well, having a purpose etc. etc. will do the trick.

Knowledege and understanding was almost useless to me. I learned halachos, I learned mussar. It did not help. Our brains are quite a weak tool when dealing with the power of lust (and many other struggles/bad habbits as well).

Having a good schedule etc. can be a good framework and can make it easier to stay out of trouble, but every so often trouble comes knockin anyway. Bad mood, lonliness, feeling a bit under the weather, got insulted, saw something "accidentally", just for a second, was left with unfiltered internet and just wanted to see a news story, watch a video to relax, etc. etc. When it comes knocking and we open the door, it's like letting in the cat in the hat. No telling what will happen next, but it aint good.

I tried all that stuff for years and I just kept getting worse. Until I admitted I had a problem and opened up about it to real people. Realized I can't do it on my own. I need help. Willpower and/or knowledge cannot save me.

Here are some healthy attitudes that have helped help me.
- Let go of my "right" to lust. I can't afford it.
- Let go of my self-pity.
- Let go of my expectations.
- Let go of resentment.
- Don't try to "figure it out". I don't need to understand (read: control) everything.
- Realize that I am not in control of my life (B"H, there is Some ONE much better at it, and HE loves and cares about me unconditionally)
- Stay out of isolation. Connect to people (especially when feeling vulnerable).
- Humbly give to others (without expectation of reciprocation).
- Get of my 18 wheeler and onto a trycycle. Let go of my lofty expectations and accept my reality.
- Live in reality and not fantasy.
- Do NOT let a fantasy live in my head. Let go immediately. can't afford it.
- Be happy and humble.
- I will not die from a lust attack. Let it pass. I can be comfortable being uncomfortable.
- Be busy, especially if it involves being social.
- Excercise

Just some stuff that came to my mind, and I felt like putting it out there.

That couldn't have come at a more convenient time for me!!

As all are aware already, I'm having my struggle with movies (again). I was thinking about it today, as BH I'm still Shomer Shabbos, and I was thinking just along the same lines.

I realized that the first thing that hits me when I think of "No more!!" is "But the urges are gonna keep coming back! They're gonna make you k....k......k.....KRAZY!!!!!!!!!!"

That shows me a few things, one is that I (ME) feel it is my right to have a life without urges, without trying to learn and every nuance in my mind telling me to go watch a movie/escape. Together with that is that if I have an urge I have to "deal with it" either appease it or make it go away...but that's just not true, I can do what I need to do even if I do have urge.

Another thing is that I'm not living One day at a time, if I was then who gives a darn what will happen! I need to take it one thought at a time, one decision at a time!! Of course, I want to be sure upfront that everything will be easy, but fact is fact, I'm not going to be sure, So what now? Am I going to wait until G-D himself comes and tells me that I'm gonna ride a nice smooth ride from here on, or will I finally just realize that my ride IS perfect as it is?!

Thanks for listening, and as always, comments are (almost) always appreciated.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 14 Sep 2014 08:08 #239495

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Remember: ONE NOW AT A TIME!

YOU CAN DO IT! Why do you need movies????? If you are truly living life you won't need movies. The sweet taste of life will make it that you don't want to go anywhere near movies.

LASTLY: remember deep breaths. In and out. In and out! Everything IS alright NOW! Who cares about the future, as you said!

ONE NOW AT A TIME!!!!!!!!!!
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2014 08:10 by dms1234.

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 15 Sep 2014 02:28 #239559

• kilochalu
  • Platinum Boarder
dms1234 wrote:
YOU CAN DO IT! Why do you need movies????? If you are truly living life you won't need movies. The sweet taste of life will make it that you don't want to go anywhere near movies.

some of us addicts have a hard time just DOING IT and we really have ourselves convinced or programmed to believe and feel that we really need it and we don't always taste real life enough to make us not want to go anywhere near movies

sometimes we can think rationally and taste real life enough to not want the movies, but sometimes not,

what we CAN DO is get rid of our access to them and at least give ourselves a little break and a headstart in working on tasting real life at least w/o this distraction and work on facing our other nisyonos by using the tools which work for us if we work them...

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 15 Sep 2014 06:22 #239567

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
We can always zug Tehillim...
?דער באשעפער לאווט מיך אייביג. וויפיל לאוו איך עהם
My Creator loves me at all times. How great is my love for him?

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 15 Sep 2014 08:19 #239570

• lavi
  • Platinum Boarder
Pidaini wrote:
gibbor120 wrote:
I've seen several posts recently that say that understanding, or reason, or just making a really good schedule and sticking to it, planning well, having a purpose etc. etc. will do the trick.

Knowledege and understanding was almost useless to me. I learned halachos, I learned mussar. It did not help. Our brains are quite a weak tool when dealing with the power of lust (and many other struggles/bad habbits as well).

Having a good schedule etc. can be a good framework and can make it easier to stay out of trouble, but every so often trouble comes knockin anyway. Bad mood, lonliness, feeling a bit under the weather, got insulted, saw something "accidentally", just for a second, was left with unfiltered internet and just wanted to see a news story, watch a video to relax, etc. etc. When it comes knocking and we open the door, it's like letting in the cat in the hat. No telling what will happen next, but it aint good.

I tried all that stuff for years and I just kept getting worse. Until I admitted I had a problem and opened up about it to real people. Realized I can't do it on my own. I need help. Willpower and/or knowledge cannot save me.

Here are some healthy attitudes that have helped help me.
- Let go of my "right" to lust. I can't afford it.
- Let go of my self-pity.
- Let go of my expectations.
- Let go of resentment.
- Don't try to "figure it out". I don't need to understand (read: control) everything.
- Realize that I am not in control of my life (B"H, there is Some ONE much better at it, and HE loves and cares about me unconditionally)
- Stay out of isolation. Connect to people (especially when feeling vulnerable).
- Humbly give to others (without expectation of reciprocation).
- Get of my 18 wheeler and onto a trycycle. Let go of my lofty expectations and accept my reality.
- Live in reality and not fantasy.
- Do NOT let a fantasy live in my head. Let go immediately. can't afford it.
- Be happy and humble.
- I will not die from a lust attack. Let it pass. I can be comfortable being uncomfortable.
- Be busy, especially if it involves being social.
- Excercise

Just some stuff that came to my mind, and I felt like putting it out there.

That couldn't have come at a more convenient time for me!!

As all are aware already, I'm having my struggle with movies (again). I was thinking about it today, as BH I'm still Shomer Shabbos, and I was thinking just along the same lines.

I realized that the first thing that hits me when I think of "No more!!" is "But the urges are gonna keep coming back! They're gonna make you k....k......k.....KRAZY!!!!!!!!!!"

That shows me a few things, one is that I (ME) feel it is my right to have a life without urges, without trying to learn and every nuance in my mind telling me to go watch a movie/escape. Together with that is that if I have an urge I have to "deal with it" either appease it or make it go away...but that's just not true, I can do what I need to do even if I do have urge.

Another thing is that I'm not living One day at a time, if I was then who gives a darn what will happen! I need to take it one thought at a time, one decision at a time!! Of course, I want to be sure upfront that everything will be easy, but fact is fact, I'm not going to be sure, So what now? Am I going to wait until G-D himself comes and tells me that I'm gonna ride a nice smooth ride from here on, or will I finally just realize that my ride IS perfect as it is?!

Thanks for listening, and as always, comments are (almost) always appreciated.

WOW!!! Gibbor that was an amazing post. i can relate to every word you wrote. and thanks pidaini for putting it here. like i mentioned a while ago, my wife when away for a couple of days, and my schedule was upside down because of the family. i really was understanding about her trip/vacation, but i had resentment about how to go about my babysitting time. so it was me and the computer [and Hashem] (sorry about the brackets, but's that what i felt). i "promised" myself a couple of good clean movies to kill time, [and myself], to escape to "no feelings land". bh, i didn't fall, but i did feel the urge to look at something more "worth" it. goes to show me something. i may have bh, sucessfully staved off the bad guy, but he's there alright, waiting...for the chance...to pounce...to dig...his filthy teeth...into me. May Hashem have mercy, and help me and everyone else here with our struggle, and maybe one day, in a similiar situation i'll be zocheh to have a sefer in front of me, instead of a computer.
i love you all

Re: Yaakov's Ladder 16 Sep 2014 16:21 #239682

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
So here is an email that I sent to two members last night

I wrote:
Spiralling out of control. Don't know why, or actually, i don't need to know why! (part of my obsession is to figure it out)
I am hereby declaring a stop. To do the best i can to stay away from all time wasters....ALL! May the almighty help me acknowledge Him and how i cannot do this without His constant support.
Thank you

My obsession of figuring it out isn't just annoying, it is actually preventative to my sobriety. That is because if I can't figure it out I give in, albeit to smaller slips and thing, but it does get out of hand.

One of the things that cordnoy constantly reminds me about, and something I need to be reminded of especially when it's dark, is that first thing is "NO!!" and with that needs to be the use of tools that I have to keep clean as opposed to happy, in a good mood. I have to surrender my expectations of how life in recovery should look and do what Hashem wants from me, no matter how I feel.

Just for the record, for my records especially, what happened last night was a an explosion of what's been going on with my movie indulgence. Escaping life through movies instead of surrendering to Hashem's will and then getting tired of movies and left with a massive gaping hole....(I also was not feeling well physically but had I not been in the "escaping" mode, I think I would have been able to use the tools that I have much more readily and easily)

If I ever mention that I started watching movies, please refer me back to these last few posts!

Thank You all for listening
and again, comments and/or thought invoking questions are welcome
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes