Welcome, Guest

Home of Gibbor120
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: Home of Gibbor120 120801 Views

Re: Home of Gibbor120 26 Dec 2011 05:05 #129232

• Back on Track
Nice thoight gibor. Dov- by all means. When u gotta go you gotta go... You take care of business, I'll hold ur place in line....
Last Edit: by .

Re: Home of Gibbor120 27 Dec 2011 20:57 #129376

• 1daat
  • Current streak: 126 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Dov, I have the same fears for the same reasons.  which says that I'm ok with it all as long as it's not in my backyard.  What's up with that for a modern sophisticated psychotherapist?

Gibbor, thanks for checkin in on my thread.  Really nice.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 02 Jan 2012 10:47 #129750

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
gibbor120 wrote on 07 Sep 2011 16:30:

The gemara in megilah 25b discusses different kriyas hatorah and whether we should read them in public and be metargem (translate) them.  The gemarah says that the maaseh of Yehudah and Tamar, we read and translate in shul.

The gemarah asks, Pekichsaa?! Obvious.  (oh, I see i got the kichsa edit for P e s h i t a)

The gemara answers, I would think that we should be concerned about the kavod of Yehuda.

KM"L - Since he admitted it - THIS IS HIS PRAISE!

This gemarah was a big chizzuk for me.  The gemarah doesn't say that we can learn a lot from Yehuda's mistake.  The gemarah says, that there is nothing to be embarrassed about.  If we admit our mistakes - it is a source of PRIDE for us!

I think Dov missed this post. I'll post for him.
It doesn't say Yehuda went on an anonymous forum and made up an anonymous user name and posted that he'd had a fall. He stood up in public and pointed at a pregnant woman and said "She is pregnant from me!" That was a source of pride for him. I don't know if I could do it, could you?
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: Home of Gibbor120 02 Jan 2012 15:51 #129767

• Dov
  • Administrator
Ooh, nice. That's beautiful!

But asking yourself if you could do what Yehudah did is unfair to you, for these reasons:

1- Yehudah was certainly not an addict and he was not in a battle to save his own life and sanity. No one deserves a medal for 'having the bravery to run out of a burning house and save themselves'. Is it 'brave'? Well, sort of...but we don't generally reward anyone for having enlightened self-interest and doing what is totally and overpoweringly natural anyway. But what Yehudah did was much, much harder. The guy who really has a bad problem, is really in trouble - and all he is willing to do about it is veiter hide behind a username and give hidden people a peek at his virtual dirty laundry - really does not even care about himself enough to sacrifice a bit of his precious ego to save himself! That's a pity...

A CPR teacher once told me that if you are ever at a dinner table and one person surprisingly and silently rises and walks away, presumably to go to the restroom...follow him. For he may be choking on food. Usually people excuse themselves when they really need to go to the bathroom. The fact is that a person is often so ashamed of choking in public - it is very embarrassing, kind of like sneezing and having mucus on my face right there in shul! I desperately cover my face looking nervously for a tissue - don't you?

Many people would rather hide while they try their hardest to cough it out, even if it means they may pass out in the bathroom - they (we) always believe in our heart of hearts that right before we really pass out we'll run out and get that help, should our private efforts utterly fail.

Same thing here. We have mucus all over us...our maybe another bodily-fluid-that-shall-not-be-named...  And the first thing we are instinctively desperate to do is HIDE!! Quick!!

Gevalt. Hiding behind a username is perfectly OK for those who don't need to get more help. But I watch some who are failing and see it for them as a slow, safe, death. Like the guy who will eventually pass out in the bathroom choking, R"l, and be found later by someone...too late for him, too late for the wife, too late for the children.

2- On the other hand, Yehudah was not admitting that he was a mess - just that he did a single very embarrassing thing;

2- Yehudah had no electricity so he could not log onto GYE even he wanted to. So he had no other breyrah.

2- how many 2's are there?

2- k    i    c    h    s    a
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Home of Gibbor120 02 Jan 2012 16:41 #129782

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I liked this one so much I just had to bring it "home"

NeiroYair wrote on 01 Jan 2012 20:16:

Gibbor120, you got me in trouble...but in a good way. I've been having very long and early morning talks with my wife and while proudly showing off my moving marquee, thinking I was so funny in my previous post, she read your post and let's just say after all our talking, I now have a sign above my bed that reads "I try to portray a 'perfect' image, but I am so much happier when I can accept my 'imperfect' reality."

Re: Home of Gibbor120 03 Jan 2012 18:31 #129921

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
I don't write here all that much, but I sent a PM to someone recently and thought that perhaps I should 'publish' it. So here it is...

I realized when I came to GYE about 6 months ago that 'lust' was the real issue.  That helped me to realize that I was still lusting, I was just doing it less and in other ways.  For instance, I was lusting after my wife because she was after all muteres to me.  I didn't realize that my attitude was still the same.  I want as much pleasure as I can get, I'd just like to get it in a mutar fashion if possible.  Although I had already been sober for 2 years before I found GYE (because my wife found out about my problem :-[ ), I found that it was getting increasingly difficult to keep my sobriety.  I was getting closer to the edge more often.

Dov's posts helped me out a lot as well.  I didn't realize how much my ego and self-centeredness had to do with my lusting.  I have always been very inward focused, self-absorbed.  An outside observer would not call me selfish, but all my 'avodah' was about 'me' reaching 'madreigos' (one of dov's dirty words).  I used to think that all this self focused 'avodah' was good.  I didn't realized that in essence my whole avodah was selfish as it was about me and not about Hashem at all.

It's probably no surprise that I was am a perfectionist.  I try to be in total control of my emotions etc.  I didn't realize that I was in essence locking Hashem out.  I am learning to let go and not need to be perfect.  As I wrote recently on the forum (I am sometimes amazed at what spontaneously comes out of my fingers ) I try to portray a 'perfect' image, but I am so much happier when I can accept my 'imperfect' reality.

I have been learning to accept my imperfections and admit them to people and allow other people and hashem to help me instead of insisting that 'I take care of it myself'... and that has made all the difference.  I truly beleive that my relationship with hashem begins with my relationship with others.  If I am open, honest, caring, and giving to people - I will be to Hashem as well.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Jan 2012 11:16 #130114

• Back on Track
Nice. Thanks for sharing this. Therz no place like home!

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Jan 2012 15:25 #130123

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Thanks for dropping by,  now if gevurah shows up there will be no place to park .

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Jan 2012 15:29 #130124

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Did i hear someone calling me?

We don't need no stinkin' parking spots, we just park on top of someone else's car!  ;D
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Jan 2012 15:33 #130126

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Just stay off the flowers please .

Re: Home of Gibbor120 05 Jan 2012 20:53 #130178

• Dov
  • Administrator
Publish it, man.
"Off the 18-wheeler and fine on this tricycle!", "I do not particularly care exactly which "lav" suicide is. I'm not interested in it for other reasons...and you are probably the same."

Re: Home of Gibbor120 20 Jan 2012 17:07 #131275

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
ok, I know we have debated the self-esteem issue on this forum before, but I would like to share a thougth that I heard from Dr Sorotzkin.

He said that many times a teacher or parent will try to boost a child's self-esteem by "giving them opportunities for success".  It sounds wonderful, doesn't it?  The only problem is that it usually fails.  But, why?

He explains it with a mashal.  He had a car that broke down.  After being towed to a shop, he was told that the problem was that there was no oil left in the engine.  "Ok, so put in more oil" he said.  The man at the shop explained that it was too late.  The damage has already been done.  More oil won't help.  The engine needs to be rebuilt.

A child with low self-esteem is like a car without oil.  Adding more success won't help.  The child already beleives that everything that goes wrong is his fault, and everything that goes right is not attributed to him "it was easy", "that's what I ought to be doing anyway", "anyone could have done it".  He will come up with any excuse to NOT take any credit.  That is why adding more "opportunities for success" will not help.  He has no mechanism for seeing the good in himself.  He needs "his engine rebuilt".

עד כען דברי רופה סורוצקין

We have defined the problem, but what is the solution?  I didn't get a clear understanding of how to "rebuild the engine".

Anyway, this might explain why dov doesn't feel that self-esteem is where the action is.  Because trying to "feel good" about ourselves doesn't really work.  So low self-esteem may indeed be the root of our problem, but trying to boost our self-esteem directly using positive thinking may be the wrong approach to fixing it.

I have some ideas, but this is a good start.

I welcome any input.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 20 Jan 2012 17:47 #131280

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
very good analogy. (not that he needs my approval)
i look forward to following this discussion
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: Home of Gibbor120 20 Jan 2012 21:48 #131293

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
tell me more...
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Home of Gibbor120 24 Jan 2012 22:27 #131624

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Here's something I wrote on self esteem a little while ago.

gibbor120 wrote on 16 Dec 2011 18:41:

WMP and dov, I agree with both of you!  I'm still working on my understanding of this, but here's the way I see it right now.

I think you guys are indeed arguing semantics.  Dr sorotzkin says essentially exactly what WMP is saying.  People with low self-esteem also have as a counterbalance a feeling of superiority.  He illustrates this with a case he had of a fellow who had the lowest self-esteem he's ever seen.  One day the patient admitted that he sometimes feels greater than G-d.  The Dr wasn't surprised in the least.  The lowest self-esteem needs a counter balance of the greatest feelings of grandiosity.

As far as what dov writes about accepting himself and realizing that G-d loves him no matter what.  That is the foundation of true self-esteem.  I have seen this written by (I think) R Twerski and R Zelig Pliskin.  My true value is in the fact that Hashem created me, not in what I can do.  I think I am finally starting to understand it and I think that's what dov is talking about. 

If my self esteem comes from the fact that I always get up on time for shul, what if I'm late one day.  If it's because I'm a great basketball player, what if I have a bad game?  If it's because I'm a great baal tefillah, what if I mess up a tune?  If it's because I'm smart, what if I meet someone smarter than me?

It's this type of false self-esteem that creates pride (the kind dov is weary of).  We love ourselves because of x, y, or z.  We try to be better to make ourselves feel better.  The driving force is really that we feel awful about ourselves (low self-esteem).  Once we have self-acceptance (what dov mentioned) we can look at ourselves honestly and not feel prideful about our achievements (or awful about our failures).  When we don't accept ourselves, we don't accept our achievements either, so we are driven to acheive more... to boost our self-esteem, but it doesn't work.  We need to accept ourselves "just the way we are", then and only then do we have a shot at true self-esteem.

So I think you are both right... that's my 2 cents anyway.

BTW I highly recommend all of Dr Sorotzkins stuff.  You can find it here drsorotzkin.com/ .  The stuff on perfectionism is especially relevant to this discussion.

and this:

gibbor120 wrote on 27 Dec 2011 20:33:

if I could take the liberty of trying to summarize the two sides here...

1) I need to see the good in me.

2) I need to feel that G-d loves me unconditionally.

I think #2 is the foundation.  I think it leads to self acceptance.  I don't beat myself up, but accept that hashem made me this way and loves me the way I am.  That is not to say, that I don't need to grow, but it frees me from obsessive perfectionism.  I think #2 may allow me to see the good in myself - which is #1.

I have found that purely trying to see the good in myself (#1) doesn't really work for me unless I first accept that G-d loves me unconditionally.  I think even Twerski and others talk about self esteem coming from the fact that G-d created me, not that I have maylah x, y, or z.

Make sense to anyone?

Basically, self esteem can't come from the outside.  If it does, than it's not really "self" esteem, but "other" esteem.  We are trying to impress others to give us a positive sense of self.

I even read recently that praise can backfire. see here nymag.com/news/features/27840/ .

I'm not sure how to bring this thing full circle.  As counter-intuitive as this sounds, admitting the truth about myself, embarrasing as it is, frees me from "other" esteem and somehow I feel much better about myself.  Maybe the key to self-esteem is simply facing reality.  Anyway, thinking about it as self-acceptance instead of self-esteem also seems to help me.

The root of self-esteem has to be internal.  NOT because of something I did, but because of something I am.  The only thing that I am that is not related to something I did, is the fact that I am the handiwork of the creator.  That - I beleive is the true core of self-esteem.  For some reason that "idea" could not begin to take root in me until I admitted my human frialties (a nice way of saying disgusting behavior )

I am not any kind of expert on this topic.  It's just something I have been thinking about for a long time, and I am as confused as ever about it.  Part of being human I guess .

I was hoping someone who has been to a therapist would chime in.  I guess they are just as confused, or don't find the topic sufficiently interesting.

Last Edit: 15 Mar 2012 16:57 by .
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes