Welcome, Guest

The "street cleaning" wall of honor
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!

TOPIC: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 4358 Views

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 03:49 #114213

• Back on Track
Great framework to put it into. Adrress the issue, but don't dwell.... Thanks!
Last Edit: by .

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 05:40 #114218

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
The Three Second Rule is great for the street. It has three stages :alert, avert, and affirm. You are allowed 3 seconds to alert yourself to the fact that you have a nisayon. That is the alert stage, we cannot always get our wits about us in less than that amount of time. Next is to avert our eyes and minds or remove our bodies from the area and not look. Then we have to affirm that we did right. "I guarded my eyes!", "I did well just now!", "Hashem sent me a nisayon and I passed."
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 13:05 #114237

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder
Blind Beggar wrote on 11 Aug 2011 05:40:

The Three Second Rule is great for the street. It has three stages :alert, avert, and affirm. You are allowed 3 seconds to alert yourself to the fact that you have a nisayon. That is the alert stage, we cannot always get our wits about us in less than that amount of time. Next is to avert our eyes and minds or remove our bodies from the area and not look. Then we have to affirm that we did right. "I guarded my eyes!", "I did well just now!", "Hashem sent me a nisayon and I passed."

Thanks for that, but i would add the 2 minute rule if you might have sliped, thus way you can make sure you don't do it again. You can make the 2 min how ever long you want the point is not to get stuk on a "maybecouldbe" slip.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 13:35 #114243

• Back on Track
Both gr8 eitzos.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 13:40 #114244

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder

Quote from "windows of the soul" day 2
"Inadvertent Seeing
You might be wondering: how can a man live in the world without seeing immodestly dressed women? Isn’t it inevitable that every time he steps into any public area his eyes will take in everything?
The fact is that we are required to avoid looking at immodestly dressed women and images, and to develop an aversion to looking. As long as one follows these two stipulations, even if he inadvertently sees, he is not culpable. But after inadvertently seeing, he must turn his eyes away. If he continues looking or takes a second look, he commits the aveirah of “straying after his eyes.”

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 13:48 #114247

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
chazak chazak wrote on 10 Aug 2011 22:08:

we are all on the streets daily we are all struggling the same thing. on the yiddish forum someone suggested for those who feel triggered in the car while stopping at a red light to try to focus on the license plate in front of you and try to find a gematrya or roshei teivos out of the license plate until it becomes green.     

I have found a similar "trick" to work while standing in the grocery store check out aisle.  Focus on at the candy bars or other similar knick knacks, read the labels, etc.  It keeps your eyes focused away from the other shmutz.  Also, in the street, sometimes it's difficult to look away completely.  I will focus on a ladies face rather than other features.  It's not usually the face that is triggering.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 17:03 #114287

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder
gibbor120 wrote on 11 Aug 2011 13:48:

I will focus on a ladies face rather than other features.  It's not usually the face that is triggering.

As long as that's not done in a lustful way. everyone  has to know themselves what triggers them.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 17:12 #114292

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
agreed.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 11 Aug 2011 18:38 #114307

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder
here is a quote from the book " The Light Of Ephraim" pg 191

"The outside forces bring about interplay between the emotions and the mind in order to create fantasies. Rabbi Nachman speaks about the power of the mind to create a fantasy and then blow it up in your mind's eye in order to satisfy an emotion. Sexual offenses are usually the consequence of a fantasy created by the mind as a conscious or subconscious response to an emotional need. You can understand, then, why the eyes are so important when you are working on mind control. Because in order to create a fantasy a fantasy out of an earlier emotion, the mind needs some real images. That is why the less images you are in contact with, the less ammunition you will give your mind to blow up these images into fantasies."

true are these holy words, it all starts in the street, bec once we look and it gets blown up we want more and more etc..........

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 12 Aug 2011 15:43 #114448

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder
hey guys shabbos nachamu coming up and that means a lot of struggles, i wish you all hazlocha on them and let us know after shabbos how it went.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 12 Aug 2011 15:56 #114451

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
great reminder, thank you

fyi, i find you to be very helpful

and here is a good idea to keep in mind when you are busy guarding your eyes

Blind Beggar wrote on 03 Jul 2011 21:21:

Eye.nonymous told me the affirmation should be positive, "I guard my eyes.", "I looked away." and not negative "I didn't stare and lust!", because the mind only hears the positive so if you think "I didn't stare and lust!" your mind registers, "I did stare and lust!"

Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 12 Aug 2011 15:59 #114453

• helpfyi
  • Platinum Boarder
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 12 Aug 2011 15:56:

great reminder, thank you

fyi, i find you to be very helpful

and here is a good idea to keep in mind when you are busy guarding your eyes

Blind Beggar wrote on 03 Jul 2011 21:21:

Eye.nonymous told me the affirmation should be positive, "I guard my eyes.", "I looked away." and not negative "I didn't stare and lust!", because the mind only hears the positive so if you think "I didn't stare and lust!" your mind registers, "I did stare and lust!"

THANKS ! very true point!

and thanks for the "buttering up"!

good shabbos!

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 14 Aug 2011 05:57 #114501

• tryhard
  • Senior Boarder
great post. this is something that i find to be tremendous problem. but i guess its the small things that make a big difference. another problem i have is in the airports where people tend to dress down:(  keep the ideas coming

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 14 Aug 2011 22:08 #114534

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Although my problem is way bigger than letting my eyes wonder on the street ( I kinda wish that WAS my only problem), I found that no filter in the world will stop you from running into the bathroom and soiling your soul if you allow yourself looking at people on the street.
I went to a healthfood store the other day with my wife and kids. It seemed that every other customer there fit into category of "asher atem zoinim achareyhem". I stared into the floor, into the kids' stroller; until I had to tell my wife that I'll wait for her outside and ran out of the place, and stood outside looking on traffic. I've been sick for two days with images that entered my periferal vision. I know that if I allowed myself a direct and conscious look I would immediately act out once back at home. At the very least ( and if my wife were willing that night) I would play the images in my head while being with her. Or (which is even more likely) both.
An einikle of Baal HaTanya writes that someone who fails to guard his eyes, his entire avoda is ayin v'efes.
The question is, how do you live your life with your eyes closed? I hope that when I'll have dealt with the compulsion part of my problem, I'll be able to look the world straight in the eye. But we certainly need to watch our gaze from getting away from our conscious mind.
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: The "street cleaning" wall of honor 14 Aug 2011 23:09 #114537

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
we dont need to have closed eyes with someone holding our hands, we can look somewhere downwards when we are between people, not seeing the full body, also just gazing, not directly looking, maybe avoiding places where we know for sure that there are heavy triggers, like department stores, simches (unless we can enter & exit without going thru challanges), etc...
the main thing keeping the mind off it
try it hashem will help you, same as he helps me
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes