Welcome, Guest

The NUDNIK asks
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: The NUDNIK asks 13210 Views

The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 18:55 #200099

• Fresh Boarder
The NUDNIK asks #1

We all know what a nudnik is! The shlemiel is the one who spills the soup on the shlemazal, the nudnik wants to know what kind of soup it was!

Well the nudnik is back with another question: you know the term "your splitting hairs" or "hair splitting", what is it referring to?

Is it referring to the process of splitting a bunch of hairs from each other, to single out one pure strand?

Or is it referring to (an even more difficult task) the process of attempting to split the actual single strand of hair, into two?

All nudniks and nudnik sympathizers, are welcome to address this question, as well as use this thread to post questions of similar style and importance! :-D 

All u nudniks who are scared to come out the closet, can just post as nudnik sympathizers ;-)

See ya around 

Re: The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 19:53 #200104

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends
Last Edit: 12 Dec 2012 19:57 by gevura shebyesod.

Re: The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 21:11 #200105

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
the minhag on chanuka is to split donuts (after you have your first donut and you really want another but you don't want to wear the extra 500 calories around your waist so you ask your wife/friend/neighbor/rebbe to split the donut...)
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 21:17 #200107

• LookingForwardToChange
  • Current streak: 1550 days
  • Senior Boarder
  • Never try quitting, and never quit trying.
You first split and eat half, then after a little you eat the second one too......

Re: The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 21:27 #200108

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Don't you know that when you cut into a donut all the calories fall out? So if you split it you can eat both halves right away.

BTW do you split it horizontally or vertically?

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
- General Grant

Re: The NUDNIK asks 12 Dec 2012 23:04 #200114

• Fresh Boarder
I can see the topic has moved from hairs to doughnuts, I don't usually like to see them together - hairs and doughnuts ;-)

But talking of doughnuts, I have had some serious halachik shaalos about doughnuts on Chanukah:

1) is the icing on the doughnuts considered a chatzitza?

2) aren't the additional toppings like icing and chocolate a problem of בל תוסיף in the חפצא of the doughnut?

3) what is the minimum shiur in the size of the doughnut? כזית כביצה כגריס

4) is the jelly halocho lemoshe mesinai? 

5) if one forgot to eat a doughnut on one of the nights, is there תשלומין on the next night?

6) if you have a choice between 2 doughnuts, one has no topping (so no problem of חציצה) but it has no jelly ר״ל! Or one which has jelly, but it also has icing. So should u go for the one with jelly even though there is a problem of חציצה because of the icing, or should u go for the one without jelly but at least there is no חציצה! Or שב ועל תעשה עדיף?

Re: The NUDNIK asks 17 Dec 2012 06:04 #200212

• jjblue13
  • Senior Boarder
  • Im ain ani li? Mi li?
Some answers

#1 The icing is הידור מצוה & bicllal not a חציצה

#2 Since it's a הידור no issue of בל תוסיף

#3 לכתחילה כביצה (or 3)

#4 If not הלכה למשה מסיני then it's at LEAST מנהג ישראל תורה!

#5 There certainly is תשלומין even after Chanukah

#6 Refer to #1-2 above. It would appear that לכתחילה we should eat the jelly one with the topping, but you may be מחמיר and eat both
לב טהור ברא לי אלוקים
My essence is ALWAYS pure (no matter what I do)
ורוח נכון חדש בקירבי
But if I start slipping ... PLEASE return me to sanity

Re: The NUDNIK asks 03 Feb 2013 04:59 #201715

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
even though this thread now belongs in the Beis Hamedrash section, since it talks binyana syoma i would like to ask a few sheilos about the upcoming purim,
1)is it considered baal tosef to make a hamantasch with four corners?
2)if you mix two fillings is it considered a murkav? (if so does anyone know which filling the Chazon Ish used?)
3)if aomeone forgot to have the hamantasch in mind by the shehechiyanu, what should he do?
4)if a person is shikur and therefore salls it a mordechaitasch, is he yotzei?
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: The NUDNIK asks 03 Feb 2013 09:31 #201717

• jjblue13
  • Senior Boarder
  • Im ain ani li? Mi li?
I think we may have some answers.

#1 It is not בל תוסף because it is no longer a hamentasch, but now a sorry looking linzer cookie!

#2 First we must clarify that לכתחילה the filling should be poppy, and בדיעבד if there is no poppy available you may be יוצא with prune, but just in case you cannot be יוצא with prune, you should have in mind when you eat it the תנאי of the מג"א "If this hamentasch is valid for fulfilling the mitzvah, it should count but if it is an invalid hamentasch, it should just be for the sake of filling my belly" this way you can avoid any issue of בל תוסיף.
Now for the מורקב, if the filling is anything but poppy (or prune) it is not a hamentasch at all (prune is a ספק), so that leads us to say that blending two types of fillings WILL be מורקב.
So מעיקר הדין it goes by רוב but since פורים is מדרבנן we go with שישים. A blending of poppy and prune the תנאי of the מג"א should be used.

#3 Since most people begin the ענין of eating hamentaschen at least from the beginning of Adar, it would follow that no שהחיינו is required on Purim day, and he would NOT have to repeat it.

#4 He was יוצא because the whole idea is to obliterate the name of Haman, which he did by calling it a "mordechaitasch".

A Feilichen Purim to all.
לב טהור ברא לי אלוקים
My essence is ALWAYS pure (no matter what I do)
ורוח נכון חדש בקירבי
But if I start slipping ... PLEASE return me to sanity

Re: The NUDNIK asks 07 Feb 2013 21:10 #201941

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
1) You will need to put Tzitzis on it. I'm not sure if licorice strings are kosher, ask your LPR.

2) Eating too much poppy will cause you to fail drug testing leading you to believe that you are an addict.

3) Since every day is day 1, you need to make a שהחיינו every day.

4) A Shikkur is Patur from Mitzvos so who cares?

- General Grant

Re: The NUDNIK asks 08 Feb 2013 14:22 #201984

• Divrei Chaim
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Junior Boarder
  • Boruch Hashem yom yom
Some answers:

1.) Hilchos Hamantashen are a very complex and intricate topic only an experienced posek in these haloches should decide. Beavonoseinu horabim many Jews are nichshal in the issure Hamantashen and they do not realize it. Even more those who serve the Hamantashen can be over many issurim.
2.) But one may be somech on the opinion of those who allow the consumption of a lot of poppy as it is done for a mitzva. And the nations know that it is Purim vekayyma lan bepurim somchim alhanes. But only if it is done leshem shomaim otherwise he is only filling his stomach, harei ze megune.
There are also those who would not eat a Hamantash without a reliable mesoroh.
4.) If he is shikkur and therefore does not know the difference between boruch Morchdechai and orur Homon then he fulfilled his obligation. If it is caused by the consumption of poppy it requires further study whether one could rely on the opinions that even drugs may be used to fulfill the obligation. Ideally he should ask his posek if he is still able to do so.

These notes are only to inform and not to rely on. Please ask your local orthodox rabbi for halachic guidance.
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2013 14:25 by Divrei Chaim.

Re: The NUDNIK asks 08 Feb 2013 21:02 #202002

• reallygettingthere
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Divrei Chaim wrote:
Some answers:
4.) If he is shikkur and therefore does not know the difference between boruch Morchdechai and orur Homon then he fulfilled his obligation. If it is caused by the consumption of poppy it requires further study whether one could rely on the opinions that even drugs may be used to fulfill the obligation. Ideally he should ask his posek if he is still able to do so.

I'm pretty sure that the poskim say that the lashon "l'vsumei" was meant to include other substances that are m'shakker even if there are not ingested by swallowing. So in the case of poppy where the davar hameshakker IS swallowed, you will be yotzeh l'chol hadeios
Roy in the SA White Book noted that we frequently prayed and it did not work...because the best we could muster was begging G-d to "Please take it away, so I will not have to give it up!

No amount of sobriety can cure the insanity -ChaimCharlie

The emmes hurts but fake chizzuk will hurt more -Bards

Remember, best block, no be there - Mr. Miyagi

Re: The NUDNIK asks 08 Feb 2013 22:34 #202008

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
"Libesumei" Is a lashon of "Besamim" so it also includes substances that are snorted or smoked...

- General Grant

Re: The NUDNIK asks 08 Feb 2013 22:35 #202009

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
smoked turkey? with wild turkey? wait, isn't turkey in November?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: The NUDNIK asks 14 Feb 2013 01:04 #202191

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
ZemirosShabbos wrote:
smoked turkey? with wild turkey? wait, isn't turkey in November?

well Adar is known to be the Klalos of the whole year so add "smoked" to any part of the year you like!
i greatly appreciated the learned p'sakim from all the great scholars out there and wanted to add two sheilos,
1) can you be yotzei with a hamantasch that has no filling?
2)Where does the name hamantasch come from, in school we learned that it was because his hat was three cornered but if that's the case where does tasch come in? and if it was his pockets (which must be why the poskim said that it has to be poppy or prune, because i doubt that mordechai had such bad taste and/or the time to deal with the consencuences of prune!!) why did he have them three cornered?
Please advise as sson as possible as Mitzvos tzrichim Kavanah and i would like to start baking!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov
Time to create page: 0.70 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes