Welcome, Guest

O'Mottel's Kitchen
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: O'Mottel's Kitchen 34537 Views

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 13:50 #124791

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
Hey OM, what's on the menu for lunch today?  BTW, who does the cooking in your house?  It sounds like you know your way around the kitchen.
Last Edit: by .

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 15:03 #124805

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Forget lunch, what's for breakfast?

My favorite when I was a kid: Oatmeal or Farina mixed with some Cheerios, a little brown sugar and butter, with banana slices on top. Side order of cottage cheese and a large hot chocolate.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 16:06 #124818

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
we had greez with salt and butter on top
then a shokoman

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 16:46 #124835

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
How about a veggie and cheese omlet served with a toasted sesame bagel spread with scallion cream cheese and a latte.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 17:02 #124838

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
I am not much of a breakfast person myself. These days it's just a huge coffee with a dash of milk or mocha mix and no sugar.
We used to have hot cereal as kids. But you guys help yourself to the pantry....
Banana slices, cottage cheese....that's good stuff, I gotta get into it.
Most Sundays the Wife makes cheese omelettes, or blintzes with cottage cheese and sour cream toppings.
Mezonos bagels with cream cheese are a good choice when I take her out for coffee and it's before davening (of course, you should say kriyas shma first).
I'll post the lunch menu a bit later, gotta run now.
Esst gezunterheit!
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 17:07 #124842

• gibbor120
  • Platinum Boarder
  • NEVER EVER GIVE UP!
You know the easiest way to make a lot of friends is to have good food in the pantry .

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 17:12 #124846

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Gedoila Legima Shemikareves....

(something like that, i forgot the rest of it    )

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
- General Grant

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Nov 2011 19:56 #124885

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, for lunch today:
Soba noodles (aka buckwheat pasta)
Home made tomato sauce (saute a small onion and a couple garlic cloves till golden-brown, with a pinch of salt; add 4-5 diced tomatoes, a tablespoon of dried basil, a tad of chili flakes; if the tomatoes are not juicy enough, add a 1/2 cup of semi-dry red wine; salt and pepper to taste)
Did you chop the onion and the garlic before sauteing?
A few generous slices of salami
A large Batampte pickle
A handful of cherry tomatoes
Keep sauce hot while cooking the noodles. Mix sauce and noodles immediatley after draining the latter. The chunkier the sauce, the better.
Keep the pickle and the salami on a separate plate lest they get dirtied by the sauce.
Enjoy.
You don't have eat the cherry tomatoes, but will it kill you if you do?
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 09 Nov 2011 05:35 #124922

• Back on Track
If u decide not to eat'em throw em my way. I always get that. And what happened to BLACK jellybeans in the mix?

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 09 Nov 2011 05:44 #124923

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Back on Track wrote on 09 Nov 2011 05:35:

And what happened to BLACK jellybeans in the mix?

didn't you read that  they are bad for you?
Baby steps.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 09 Nov 2011 11:50 #124934

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
obormottel wrote on 09 Nov 2011 05:44:

Back on Track wrote on 09 Nov 2011 05:35:

And what happened to BLACK jellybeans in the mix?

didn't you read that  they are bad for you?

No it's only the licorice that's bad. black jellybeans are still OK. And if you've got any of those that you don't want, throw them MY way.  ;D

- General Grant

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 10 Nov 2011 00:31 #125010

• Yossi.L.
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Platinum Boarder
when will yidden just be satisfied with cholent and gefilte fish?

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 10 Nov 2011 06:21 #125018

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
That reminds me:
A guy once commented on my Friday night sushi  that "this is so not-shabbosdik". It helps to know he doesn't keep  Shabbos nor eats sushi.
Another guy lamented the fact that my Wife's  hand-made wholewheat and flaxseed challas don't have "a shabbosdige  reyach" of braided egg chala.
Which prompted me to ask him whether it's  something off a goyishe baker's hand that infuses his store-bought challas with  an  odor that challas made specifically l'kovoid shabbos by a Jewish woman don't  have.
As the Great one says, ...Nu.
Gefilte fish and cholint are great fun, to be  sure.There is something to be said about the tear-jerking smell of  chrein, slimy fishjello, and boiled carrot. Why it is our collective taste,  beats my imagination,  but it is Jewish to be in love with a  food that used to  be fish, and is now mechanically ground up and mixed with enough bread, eggs,and onions to make country breakfast for a small family. Add modified foodstarch and dextrose for commercial varieties, freeze it for six months, then  boil the hell out of it with the help of some more carrots and onions, and you  got yourself a lip-smacking delicacy proudly served at important  family  affairs.
And cholint? There isn’t a goy in the world who would concede that  a bloating mixture of beans and barley, slow-cooked over 24 hours in a  chemicals-oozing aluminum pot, with huge pieces of potato,  carrot,  onion  (you  notice a pattern here?) and meats from parts of the animal you didn’t know  existed, let alone were edible, is a concoction safe for human      consumption. The funny thing is, not even the Jews. Excepton Shabbos. By the Grace of G-d Who gives all His creations a fighting chance,cholint is given a one-time chance to make a good impression. I personally have  had  many  a  good cholint on Shabbos, but never any other time did it occur to me  to  consider  cholint  food.
Moreover, I always came to regret my shabbosdige indulgence. I  think that the only explanation why we do it to ourselves time and again, isthe amount of schnapps that is used to wash down the hot brown paste with 600 calories  per spoonful. Now, I’m not an expert, so I don’t know if it’s schnapps thatmakes us crave cholint or if it’s one of cholint’s dark powers to make us drinkso much while the sun is still up, but the combination is sure to send  us  into  a  lethargic  state.  Afterwards, we don’t really remember what happened becausewe’re in so much pain from not being able to inhale from one end, while unableto stop exhaling from the other.
There is nothing wrong with having a simple taste. Not every  omelet needs to be spiked with lox, mushrooms, bell peppers, cheese, blackolives, and capers. Sometimes  a plain bagel beats a burnt-onion one. Canned  sardines  are best in a little bit of oil, no mustard or jalapenos necessary.Chicken soup doesn’t call for all the vegetables of the world, from parsley  root to yams to fresh ginger.
But cholint and gefilte fish are anything but simple. They are  devious creations of a resourceful mind, masquerading as trying to feed many  on  a small budget.
In my kitchen, there will be very little of artery-clogging,blood-sugar raising, flatulence-inducing, unidentifiable and indiscernible food  stuffs.  Of course, I can’t promise, but with G-d’s help, I’ll do my best one day at a time.
Thank G-d, we live in a time and a place which permit healthy food  choices while satisfying a picky palate. Easy fresh salad vegetables are  available year-round. Array of oils and nuts provide important fats and  vitamins. Just a sprinkle of flax-seeds into your chala dough doubles it’snutritional value (if you call going from zero to two doubling). “Catch of theday” fish markets and organic kosher butchers eliminate the need for frozen,processed, or otherwise “dead” food. Peaches and strawberries make for a greatdessert, and you don’t have to marvel that it’s January.
Stick with me, boys, and with G-d’s help, and, l’havdil, enough  schnapps, we shall overcome this cholint and gefilte fish addiction, one lunch  at  a time.
Eat this.
Baby steps.

Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011 06:40 by .

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 10 Nov 2011 15:44 #125043

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
wait wait wait mottel, before you start inroducing new mottelised shabess meals
1) my wife buy fish sides and minces it herself for gefilte, its cheaper, tastier, healthier, motteler
2) why dont you try a light cholint? with potatoes, chicken wings, buckwheat, and dont eat an oversized tatte plate full to the brim, just take 4-5 spoons
3) vodka in the freezer taken b4 and in the mid and after the meal will flatten out all eating disorders instantly

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 10 Nov 2011 16:34 #125049

• gevura shebyesod
  • Platinum Boarder
Mottel, what's wrong with carrots and onions? They are healthy and full of vitamins.

Beans, on the other hand...I know they are healthy but.... : . My favorite cholent is actually pesachdik. Just potatoes onions, and meat (and i use good meat, usually a kalechel). And it goes down best with a cold Heineken (but not on Pesach    ).

Oh, and what's for lunch today?

- General Grant

Time to create page: 0.64 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes