Welcome, Guest

O'Mottel's Kitchen
(0 viewing) 
Getting out of Isolation and connecting with others is an important part of recovery. This board is for non-addiction related threads, where members exchange jokes, have fun - and drink Lechayim Together!

TOPIC: O'Mottel's Kitchen 34528 Views

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 05 Mar 2012 19:36 #134253

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
obormottel wrote on 05 Mar 2012 19:28:

Yeah, we have this real old, scenic cemetery in town, with wicked looking tombs, mausoleums, peacocks strolling, squirrels following you between the grave rows...real peaceful.

is this it?
Attachments:
?דער באשעפער לאווט מיך אייביג. וויפיל לאוו איך עהם
My Creator loves me at all times. How great is my love for him?
Last Edit: by .

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 05 Mar 2012 19:44 #134259

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
please don't jeopordize my anonymity by posting my picture here!
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 05 Mar 2012 20:56 #134265

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
"Motzo Isho Motzo Tov" vs. 'Moitzei Ani Mar Mimoves Es HoIsho"...

So the cemetery might be better... ???

!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 08 Mar 2012 01:02 #134436

• Jackabbey
  • Current streak: 3 days
  • Platinum Boarder
its known that the chofetz chayim used to go to the beis hachayim very often

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 30 Mar 2012 15:06 #135379

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
mottel, when is your kitchen being 'turned over'?
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 01 Apr 2012 04:17 #135399

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Most of koshering is already done. I am finishing a couple of rolling racks tomorrow. I went easy this year, and just covered up a bunch of shelves instead of removing everything like I stubbornly did other years. I take a few weeks to prepare for the great onslaught of three days before Pesach. I think Pesach should last a month because its a shame to waste so much energy, time, work, money, etc for just one week.
As for the menu:
No gebrokts here, so no matzo balls or kneidlach. We go wild on all kinds of salads (all veggies, including tomatoes, peeled directly into garbage, of course). "Spaggheti" squash, all kinds of root veggies, sweet potatoes. I take it easy on cabbage, although I just reviewed a menu for a facility, and they are primarily serving cabbage all week, in all its forms: shredded in salad, steamed, cabbage soup, stuffed cabbage etc.
I do make gefilte fish, not because I want to, but because I have to.
We own a machine that turns fruits into dried fruit, so that gets used a lot. We add dried fruit to meat dishes, among other things.
I do use vegetable oil, but the Wife still boils sugar before Pesach, so we have sugar water for sweetener.
Another rule of my kitchen: if silverware falls on the floor, its no longer used, and I kosher all fallen pieces before next 0esach. I suspect that behind my back the family isn't so serious about this rule, but if you guys are gonna be visiting here, I expect responsible behavior.
What does it have to do with addiction recovery?
1. When you are busy, you have litlle time to be acting out.
2. When you fall, you need to pick yourself up, but some koshering maybe required before you snap back to sober living.
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 01 Apr 2012 05:03 #135401

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1193 days
  • Platinum Boarder
We're not so machmir on the dropped silverware. We just say "Fell Shmell" and rinse it off. Food that falls gets thrown away though.
!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 04 Apr 2012 02:00 #135521

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
obormottel wrote on 01 Apr 2012 04:17:

I expect responsible behavior.

I [as self-appointed mashgiach] second that.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 18 May 2012 15:35 #137777

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
closing the kitchen constitutes responsible behavior?
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 18 May 2012 15:39 #137778

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
ZemirosShabbos wrote on 18 May 2012 15:35:

closing the kitchen constitutes responsible behavior?

he needs me to unlock it

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 18 May 2012 17:59 #137791

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
Alright, I get the hint. Let's unboard this place. TZ, fire up the ovens, and why don't you check 20lbs of cilantro, and a case of eggs?
Easy pasta: Cook a pack of spagghetti according to directions on the package. Some fine Asian noodles will do for this one also, just not soba. Maybe Ramen or Udon. Drain and pour in a couple of spoonfulls of olive oil while the pasta is still hot.
Chop a bunch of basil finely, or use frozen basil cubes from Israel. Toss pasta and basil and sliced kalamata olives together. Notice I didn't say chopped olives. You want nice rings of juicy kalamatas for this one.
Voila: you have Basil Pasta with Kalamata olives.
Put some protein on a side:
To stay within Midetteranean theme, grilled branzino (as in fish) would be delicious. No need to patchke with a whole fish: have your local fishmonger fillet the fish for you, but leave the skin on. Sprinkle both sides with salt, and the skinless side also with pepper. Grill till desired doneness. Load the fillet with chopped parsley before serving.
Or you can just go the lazy way, and throw some salami slices on the plate. Just as well.
Pair it with a couple of bottles of Chardonnay if it's breakfast or lunch. A six-pack of Dark beer or a vodka cocktail if it's dinner.
Allow your wife to sit next to you while you eat. They enjoy that. If you want to really score some points with the wife, let her talk while you eat. It may upset your digestion a bit, but it's worth it in the long run, as wives tend to soften up after a nice long monologue. Maybe she'll let you have a friend over next time you babysit.
Hey, this is not a relationship hotline, it's a man's kitchen.
Ok, enough out of me.
Gut Shabbos,
Mottel
Baby steps.

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 21 May 2012 10:39 #137869

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Here's you cilantro, all checked!

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 07 Jun 2012 06:49 #139009

• TehillimZugger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • לבד הנשמה הטהורה
Look, are you going to do anything with all that cilantro? 'Cuz it was a hell of a lot of work checking...

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 07 Jun 2012 11:41 #139012

• Blind Beggar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Not a sexaholic, just trying to be good.
TehillimZugger wrote on 05 Jun 2012 11:05:

Official Post:
The good news we discussed last time is that I'm getting rid of the internet, not for everybody, just for myself. I will still pop in from time to time [like when I'm in the library] but I'll basically be gone, thank you Citifield, but more importantly thank you Shavuos Hisoreres and Shabbos in Meron [also a shtickel a thank you to Orange for sending me bills each month]. Bye :'( :-*

Oy TZ! We really miss you. The Forum is just not the same without you (and Bards).
The Blind Beggar is a character in Rebbe Nachman's story of the Seven Beggars.
If I view a woman as an object, I am powerless over lust, but I don't have to look.
I can guard my eyes.
I want to guard my eyes.
I do guard my eyes.
Why do I say these four lines?

Re: O'Mottel's Kitchen 07 Jun 2012 14:23 #139020

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Name: Cilantro And Corn Kugel

Type or Cuisine: American Southwestern

Description: This sweet noodle dish is a combination of savory and sweet ingredients. As a sweet kugel, the inclusion of cilantro and corn adds flavors of the Mexican kitchen, and make for a surprising and refreshing dessert or side dish. I am almost tempted to drop the sugar and instead add some black beans paste and fresh hot peppers and serve with lime... Adapted from a Joan Nathan recipe.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter (115gr), at room temperature
500g or 1lb egg noodles or regular pasta
1/2lb (225gr) cream cheese, softened
2 cups yogurt (or sour cream)
6 eggs, separated
1 cup cooked corn kernels (or 1 can)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup sugar

Instructions:

Oil an 20cm x 20cm x 5cm (8"x8"x2") baking pan, or, better still, a dutch oven or large metal pot that can withstand an oven.
Boil the noodles in plenty of water according to manufacturer's instructions, drain, rinse and mix with the butter. Cover and let sit till butter is melted.
In a blender, puree the cream cheese, yoghurt and egg yolks. Add the mixture to the noodles and blend well. Add corn and cilantro and mix.
In a mixer or using a hand mixer, whip together the egg whites and the sugar till thick and glossy (or shiny and stiff). Gold the whipped whites into the noodles mix.
Pour the mixture into the pan, dutch oven or pot, and bake, uncovered, at a preheated 350F/180C oven for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown. Let cool, then cut into wedges and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.

Comments and Discussion:

This dish is good reheated the next day. It takes well to freezing and then microwaving.
You can brown 1/3 cup breadcrumbs in 1 tbsp butter, and sprinkle on top of the dish before baking for a crunchy topping, but I do not find it necessary.

Cooking Time: 2 hours

Yield: 8-12 Servings
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

~TZ
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes