Welcome, Guest

Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread.
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 9080 Views

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 18 Feb 2019 12:25 #339036

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
bump

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Nov 2020 05:36 #357938

• oivedelokim
  • Current streak: 75 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Can we get this up and running again?
If anybody has ideas please share
I am a bochur with a passion for meaning and truth, searching to remain clean and live a holy and fulfilling life.

If you are reading this-you have a friend in me.
Feel free to PM me and I'll share my offline contact information, so we can call and text. I'd be honored if you'd trust me with your story and promise to support you in any way I possibly can.
I've been on GYE for over 7 years. "I may walk slow, but I never walk back" (-Abraham Lincoln?).
(For the background and meaning of my username- see Tanya chapter 15).

My current thread 

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Nov 2020 05:52 #357942

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Here’s some haaros:

1. Take  a daf/rashi/tosfos and get it 100% clear. Personally, I don’t write down all of Shiur in Yeshiva. I choose parts of it which I work on with ameilus and get it 100% clear.
2. Part of 1.- write it out step by step the hava aminas, hanachos etc.
3. RETZIFUS!! It’s key. It’s not geshmak everyday, but consistent ameilus eventually leads to geshmak.
4. Daven for a min/few min before a seder that HaShem should open your heart to the Torah.
5. Before learning, contemplate the tachlis of Limud Hatorah. You can check Tanya or Nefesh Hachaim Shaar Daled (I find Nefesh Hachayim easier). And then do #4.
6. R Aharon Kotler asks: “The Torah is מתוקים מדבש״ so why do was ask HaShem to make the Torah sweet (והערב נא...)- Honey is sweet no matter what! So should be the same here?!
He answers: the Torah is sweet but if ur tastebuds are burnt, you won’t taste it.
How do we fix our tastebuds? Good question , lechora through mussar/chasidus/doing 5/ focusing on Yiras Shamayim.

7. Just to reiterate. Torah is the Ratzon HaShem. Limud Hatorah is being mevatel our Ratzon to the Ratzon HaElyon. ״הוא וחכמתו חד״- when we learn we are mamash encountering the Ribono Shel Olam and nullifying our entire Self before HIM...
Contemplate this. And daven for this.
Daven to HaShem to be zoche to be mevatel yourself to the Ratzon HaElyon.

Hatzlocha!
Last Edit: 30 Nov 2020 05:56 by yeshivaguy.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Nov 2020 08:16 #357950

• wilnevergiveup
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Platinum Boarder
Rav Dessler writes (Mabat Haemes/The Truth Perspective) that when learning our goal should be to seek the underlying truth. Torah is emes and learning gemara as well as mussar trains us how to uncover the emes in all areas of life. This only works when it's more important for you to have the true pshat in the gemarah than it is for you to be the one who said it. 

I find that learning that doesn't bring any clarity i.e. learning that doesn't bring me to the emes is torture. When the focus is on arriving at the truth, it doesn't make a difference what you are learning when you have real clarity it's geshmak and when you don't, it's brutal.

I think the main way to get there is to make it your mission to be committed 100% to finding the truth in your learning. No negios or kavod, then you will be learning Hashem's Torah.

Another thing that was mentioned is that it's impossible to learn if we get distracted easily. Next time you sit to learn (I only know this because I do this all day...) see how long it takes for your mind to wander. If you can focus for more than 90 seconds, you are above average. Paying attention for extended periods of time is another game breaker in understanding and having clarity when learning gemara.
Check out My Thread and The Truth

(עשה רצונו כרצונך (אבות,ב:ד

Feel free to email me  wilnevergiveupgye@gmail.com
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2020 08:22 by wilnevergiveup.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 01 Dec 2020 23:59 #358043

I learn a lot from shiurium and I can often find interesting shiurim on torah anytime or you torah or even Spotify. I find there are so many interesting topics, also its a good way to pass time while driving or even while exercising

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 16 Aug 2023 17:25 #399958

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • Platinum Boarder

6. R Aharon Kotler asks: “The Torah is מתוקים מדבש״ so why do was ask HaShem to make the Torah sweet (והערב נא...)- Honey is sweet no matter what! So should be the same here?!
He answers: the Torah is sweet but if ur tastebuds are burnt, you won’t taste it.
How do we fix our tastebuds? Good question , lechora through mussar/chasidus/doing 5/ focusing on Yiras Shamayim.

We are coming up to the famous Ohr Hachaim "If people would feel the mesikus and sweetness of Torah they would go crazy". I believe most people I know dont go crazy over Torah. To feel Honua Ruchniyus we have to be on a certain madreiga as we are in gashmiyusdik bodies. Think the famous test from the gaon to say the first pasuk in divrei hayamim for hours, and increase the level of enjoyment! Doesnt mean that C'V there is something wrong with us. What most people refer to as learning enjoyment is generally an intellectual pleasure or the rare taste of honua ruchniyus we taste after intense ameilus or sometimes as a rare gift from Hashem. Of course the intellectual pleasure is important and part and parcel of learning see iglei tal in hakdoma vchulu, but it is not a meakev. Some people, due to disposition or previous experiences may not enjoy it. But in my humble opinion that too is part of ameilus batorah! Of course there are many ways to increase the pleasure in learning, some have been mentioned before. But I can tell you personally that as a bachur I tried all of them and more and they did not help me, (some helped my friends) but BH I am still learning and now BH I am enjoying for the most part. I found that Davening before learning and having Bitachon that I will have a successful seder helped in recent months. Hatzlacha everyone!
Nothing good grows in the dark. 
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes