Welcome, Guest

Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread.
(0 viewing) 
If you've made progress - thank G-d, double your merit by inspiring others as well! Post the tips and advice that worked best for you in your journey to sobriety or tell us about recommendations you heard from others that work.

TOPIC: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 9081 Views

Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Aug 2010 13:38 #76702

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Torah Tavlin.

Some people find it easier to go sit down and learn than others.
I heard from a chashuva rav that the amount of time that a person spends learning torah is not dependant on how much time he has, but rather on how much he develops a love for learning.

It would be great if we could start a THREAD here for tips on how to enjoy learning.

I think the benefits are obvious.  Everyone probably has unique ideas if they just think about it a little bit.

Please feel free to post any ideas.  :D :D :D
Last Edit: by .

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Aug 2010 15:24 #76715

• bardichev
OK THIS IS COOL

NUMERO UNO

LEARN SOMETHING THAT INTERESTS YOU

MAH SHELIBO CHAFETS

FROM ASTROLOGY TO ZOOLIGY

ITS ALL IN TORAH

NUMERO DOS

MAKE IT STEADY

KVIAS ITTIM

THREE

TRY TO TAKE OUT A PRACTICAL LESSON FROM YOUR LEARNING

BARDICHEV

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 20 Aug 2010 19:50 #76931

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
[quote="world" link=topic=2873.msg76702#msg76702 date=1282052291]

Some people find it easier to go sit down and learn than others.

Okay I'll admit... I'm KING OF THE OTHERS.

Please take the time to write your own ideas here.

This is perhaps the biggest tool in fighting the y"h, and I'm not good at it.
PLEASE HELP!!!
Last Edit: 20 Aug 2010 19:53 by .

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 22 Aug 2010 02:11 #76946

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Dear Bardichev,

Thank you for your tips.  I can credit a considerable amount of torah learning just to your ideas alone.

It's like the mesilas yeshorim says... just because it's poshut, it doesn't mean that it's something we think about regularly.

Bringing the tips out to the table makes it easy to work with them.  Yasher Koach!!

Everyone who reads this is requested to take out a little bit of time to post... even if just one poshute idea...

Keep in mind the benefit you could be bringing to many of your fellow yidden.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 22 Aug 2010 03:52 #76954

1) before going into a new zman or before starting a new masechta, learn all the mishnayos on that masechta. it will help you to know the backround of the mashechta. also many times the gemorah will quote a mishna from later in the masechta.

2) take something, like shas mishnayos and after each teffilah (shachris mincha and maariv) learn one mishna depending on the mishna for 5-10 min. since its only one mishna at a time its easier to appreciate it and you are not overloading your mind.

3) many people love learning midrashim

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Aug 2010 00:33 #77330

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you soldier!

Dear all GYE members, please post your ideas.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Aug 2010 18:23 #77374

• Yosef Hatzadik
  • Platinum Boarder
  • A GYE'er since 2010
Write down on an index card all your original Torah thoughts. Not just those major chidushim that will impress everyone, the stuff that is definitely material for some future sefer. Every little addition to something that you saw during the course of your learning. A cross-reference to another place where you saw a similar idea.

As these cards accumulate, they will give you cheshek for more and more. Someone encouraged me to so a few years ago and that is where I found out about my abilities in this area. I would never have dreamed about starting a thread entitled Yosef Hatzadik's Ha'oros otherwise. It is only after I saw the cards piling up, that it dawned on my that Hashem has shown me how to find alternative peshatim in the pesukim.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Aug 2010 19:54 #77383

• kosher
  • Gold Boarder
As mentioned above:

-Learn something you enjoy
-Learn something that has relevance to you and your life (or the season).
-Small amounts of mishnayos can be very easy and allow for effective maintenance of a seder

I have also found that certain subjects were difficult and not enjoyable at first, but as I slogged through and became more familiar with the inyan, they became more enjoyable (the familiarity and mastery made them much more enjoyable)
I am not big enough to not do something I WANT to do because I know it is wrong, but I've been around long enough not to want to do many things, even though they are really enticing at the first glance.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 30 Aug 2010 22:09 #77417

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Summary #1

This is a summary of the points mentioned until now.
I am summarizing these pointers in a loshon that is easiest for me to understand and review. 
Also, some tips came from PMs and are not mentioned on this thread.

#1  I heard from a chashuva rav that the amount of time that a person spends learning torah is not
dependant on how much time he has, but rather on how much he develops a love for learning.

#2  Mah shelibo chafetz - Learn something that interests you.  Anything that interests you can be found in
the torah...  so go find it!

#3  Be koveah itim.  Make a steady seder...  a set time each day that you will spend learning.  Having a
set schedule creates comfort.

#4  Try to take out a practical lesson from what you are learning. 

#5  before going into a new zman or before starting a new masechta, learn all the mishnayos on that
masechta. it will help you to know the background of the masechta. also many times the gemorah will quote a
mishna from later in the masechta.

#6  take something, like shas mishnayos and after each teffilah (shachris mincha and maariv) learn one
mishna depending on the mishna for 5-10 min. since its only one mishna at a time its easier to appreciate it
and you are not overloading your mind.

#7  many people love learning midrashim.

#8  Write down on an index card all your original Torah thoughts. Not just those major chidushim that will
impress everyone, the stuff that is definitely material for some future sefer. Every little addition to
something that you saw during the course of your learning. A cross-reference to another place where you saw
a similar idea.

As these cards accumulate, they will give you cheshek for more and more. Someone encouraged me to so a few
years ago and that is where I found out about my abilities in this area. I would never have dreamed about
starting a thread entitled Yosef Hatzadik's Ha'oros otherwise. It is only after I saw the cards piling up,
that it dawned on me that Hashem has shown me how to find alternative peshatim in the pesukim.

#9  Learn something that has relevance to you and your life (or the season).

#10  Small amounts of mishnayos can be very easy and allow for effective maintenance of a seder. (see
number six)

#11  I have also found that certain subjects were difficult and not enjoyable at first, but as I slogged
through and became more familiar with the inyan, they became more enjoyable (the familiarity and mastery
made them much more enjoyable)

#12  learn something u can actually grasp.

#13  Do it every day.

#15  Get a chavrusah.

#16  share your torah with your wife, kids, co-workers, GYE,  etc..

YASHER KOACH FOR THE TIPS!
PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 02 Sep 2010 14:00 #77630

• aaron4
First a general comment - I believe that finding enjoyment in learning Torah is the key to "living right" which is the ONLY long term solution to addiction.  It also makes sense that lust addicts in particular have a hard time with this (I'm no exception).  The 2 are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.  The mindset necessary to learn and enjoy Torah is so fundamentally different than the mindset that wallows in lust that I find I cannot switch from one to the other.  The only thing I can do is remind myself that I KNOW this to be true - like a memory of daylight while stuck in a dark tunnel - and therefore I must keep moving until I emerge.  It's difficult because moving the other way (from the proper mindset to an improper one) is SO EASY and can happen in the blink of an eye (literally) but moving back is a challenge.

Now for ideas.  For me, it helps to remind myself of the basics every day.  Why I'm here (He created me), what that obligates me to do with my life (whatever He says!) and where I can find answers (Torah).  He cares about what I do and He's with me right now.  That along with Bardichev's amazing advice (all summed up in a few SENTENCES IN ALL CAPS) is all I have to add right now.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 28 Jul 2011 23:14 #112678

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
I did a google search for

how to enjoy torah

This came up as number one.

Anything you post here can be read worldwide.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Nov 2011 01:16 #125786

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
I hope noone minds that I'm bringing this thread up for a little dusting off.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Nov 2011 05:05 #125798

• obormottel
  • Platinum Boarder
oh, this is cool!
Baby steps.
If the road is pulling you down, it's a sign that you are going uphill, so just press harder on the gas!

Have a great day - unless, of course, you made other plans.

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Nov 2011 16:06 #125840

• shteeble
  • Platinum Boarder
Please vote in the pole which I added to the beginning of this thread.
I feel that your answers will help me a lot.
Thank you! 

Re: Tips on how to enjoy learning torah - the thread. 17 Nov 2011 16:19 #125845

• ZemirosShabbos
  • Platinum Boarder
  • pass the compote
Sometimes life is like tuna with not enough mayonaise
~Inna beshem ZS

Give, Forgive
~Cordnoy

The reason I'm acting as if I'm pregnant, is because I'm expecting. I should be accepting.
~TZ
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes