Welcome, Guest

Needing Help. Trying to stay strong.
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Needing Help. Trying to stay strong. 4401 Views

Re: Needing Help. Trying to stay strong. 22 Dec 2014 08:33 #245494

• cordnoy
dovekbashem wrote:
I went for a drive to gain some clarity... which means you are all about to hear me rant.

In a standard mach' rashi / tosfos it is often surprising at first when they take such different views on one halacha - see kriat shma (brachos 2b) or tefillin (menachos 62a) for some examples. How do we understand how two gedolim, from the same world of torah, can come to such opposite conclusions? The answer is always that they are simply approaching the halacha from different perspectives, emphasizing on different aspects of the din.

L-Havdil elef alfei havdalos, I have decided to ask the same question about the mach' in my mind. How can it be that one part of me so badly wants to act out and give in (over and over and over again) and the other part of me is so horrified by the idea? The answer must be - different perspectives and that different parts of me are emphasizing different things.

The mach' in my mind is between the half of me that focuses on action and the half of me that focuses on being. The part of me that wants to act out doesn't think that it will be enjoyable and simply amazing - it KNOWS that it will be enjoyable and amazing. But there is another part of me that does not focus its desires on action at all. It desires that I BE a certain kind of person and that I have a certain type of identity. In other words, it is a mach' between what I DO and what I AM... and unfortunately, doing shtus like p** and m** completely contradicts who I want to BE, or who I hope I AM.

So which one do I choose, who do I listen to? Do I care more about what I DO and how much I enjoy it or should I care more about who I AM and how I identify myself? I really had to think about this.. it wasn't so obvious to me at first. After all, if I really do enjoy acting out (which I think I do, if I remember correctly) then why not just keep acting out and keep enjoying myself? Finally, it hit me - if that is what I do, then that IS who I am. Hashem commands us in mitzvos because only by ACTING a certain way, can we become a certain person. We are, whether we like it or not, defined by what we DO.
So.. when I am on my deathbed (whenever that day should come) do I simply want to be "The ma**bater"? Do I want to have defined myself as someone who is engrossed in self-pleasure? When I go up to Shomayim, do I want Hashem to say "Welcome home "dude who immersed himself in shtus" or do I want Hashem to say "Welcome home Dovekbashem"?

I may be an addict and a little confused at times but, Baruch Hashem, I'm not that stupid. Now that I get this machlokes, I think I am ra-oui to pasken... and I pasken like the tzad who looks at who I AM and who I want to BE. This tzad has ra-ayahs all over shas and seems pretty well backed up by achronim and rishonim. The other tzad has the yezter harah on his side... who - by the way - isn't even a rishon!

Have a good shabbos to all. Thank you for forcing me to get some clarity on this issue. This week saw many ups and downs... and hayom yom 24.

Mr. Dovek,
I wonder if you will get an email from O Fishel TB.
does anyone know how this tayere yid is doin'.
I don't think I agree with his reconciliation of this dilemma, but that's not for now.
If you're listenin', we wish you well.
you had a lot of support from some chasuve chevra on this thread.

b'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Needing Help. Trying to stay strong. 24 Dec 2014 02:31 #245588

• dms1234
  • Current streak: 767 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Last time i spoke with him, i think a couple months ago he was doing pretty good. He just got married when i spoke with him, i believe!

Thats true Mr. Dovek? Why don't you pop in and give us an update?
I am happy to speak on the phone. Please email me at dms1234ongye@gmail.com

My name is Daniel, I go to face to face meetings and I work the 12 steps with a sponsor. 
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes