Welcome, Guest

"Just regular movies "
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: "Just regular movies " 15787 Views

Re: "Just regular movies " 28 May 2023 22:46 #396273

• dim12
  • Senior Boarder
PLEASE KEEP IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: "Just regular movies " 28 May 2023 23:47 #396281

• true_self
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 28 May 2023 20:22:
Struggling like crazy the past few days. My mind is going ballistic, reminding me of what a plethora of pleasure there is to be so easily had. Pathetic excuses keep popping up. I'm at a point where I really feel possessed. 

My mind is racing, heart is pounding and my stomach gets cold and tight. For real. I don't know how common this is, but I get real physical symptoms, I've discussed this here before.

Over Yom tov it was easier to resist, obviously my hands were tied regarding most things, but now I'm really suffering and rallying everything I've got to beat this demon. I'm just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

Hope to see you on the other side.

Dear Grant!
You are an example for all of us here we look up to you and respect you tons, even though I don't know who you are In real life.
Think to yourself about what you wrote to be mechazek others when they were in tough situations.
Hashem believes in you, he trusts you that you can handle it the right way.
Keep going we are all here for you!!!
Hoping for your best!
True self.
My thread: From two identities to True self

If you want to reachout to me to talk please email: wish2banonym@gmail.com
Last Edit: 28 May 2023 23:48 by true_self.

Re: "Just regular movies " 29 May 2023 00:24 #396288

• eerie
  • Current streak: 766 days
  • Platinum Boarder
My dear friend Grant, who always knows exactly what to say and how to say it, the person who has inspired so many of us with his thoughtful, insightful words, I feel for you! Anything I will say you already know, all I'll say is reach out. We are here for you, there are wonderful, helpful friends waiting to hear from you and be there for you. It works, my friend. No need to go this alone....Keep sharing, and trucking:)
Feel free to say hi. My email is 1gimpelovitz@gmail.com

Re: "Just regular movies " 29 May 2023 00:33 #396289

• eccentriccomposer
  • Current streak: 299 days
  • Gold Boarder
Grant, thanks so much for the chizzuk you give me, hopefully I can reciprocate! 
I am not active on the forums anymore so much, but I check my email daily, please reach out to me!

Feel free to message me if you need anything, I'll try to respond as soon as I can. I hope I can help!

Email: eccentriccomposer01@gmail.com

Eccentric Trip to Freedom
Daily Dose

Re: "Just regular movies " 29 May 2023 01:04 #396299

• richtig
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
willdoit wrote on 28 May 2023 20:41:

Grant400 wrote on 28 May 2023 20:22:
Struggling like crazy the past few days. My mind is going ballistic, reminding me of what a plethora of pleasure there is to be so easily had. Pathetic excuses keep popping up. I'm at a point where I really feel possessed. 

My mind is racing, heart is pounding and my stomach gets cold and tight. For real. I don't know how common this is, but I get real physical symptoms, I've discussed this here before.

Over Yom tov it was easier to resist, obviously my hands were tied regarding most things, but now I'm really suffering and rallying everything I've got to beat this demon. I'm just focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

Hope to see you on the other side.

Ouch!! I feel ya, really do. It sucks out every bit of power left within us..

However, pls keep on fighting, you did it in the past and will do it now too.
now isn't the time for any debating.. u just need to reach out to someone live or/and make use of ur toolbox.  

Thank you so much for your candidness Grant. Your lines are sharp and enlightening, but זבחי אלקים רוח נשברה. Thank you for letting us in and telling us how it is today. Each day someone else has something aching and each day someone can help pick the other one up. I can relate to some physical symptoms- I think more breathing related, tightness in the chest etc., but it feels good to know that others also face "real" symptoms. You are a chizzuk, but I am happy you don't feel the need to always have something "smart" to say. Just say it like it is.
"It is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is our choices.” ---- Albus Dumbeldore (as per Chris Columbus)

Re: "Just regular movies " 29 May 2023 01:33 #396303

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you all for your responses. It's greatly appreciated and helps alot!

B"H as of now doing much better, it comes and goes, but hoping it lasts. 

I'm continuing to use all the methods and strategies, I've learned and implemented.

I have faith in myself. 
Last Edit: 29 May 2023 02:33 by grant400.

Re: "Just regular movies " 29 May 2023 04:16 #396322

• chaimoigen
  • Current streak: 499 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think I have any business saying anything in your presence, Grant. But, for whatever my two cents are worth, to me, watching you in "real time" is a mussar sefer worth more than almost any I have ever encountered. Hang in there, youv'e got more than almost anyone I've met.
The strength you muster isn't just for yourself, General, it's also for all of us grunts who are looking up to you, the man on the hilltop, to rally us all.....
Please feel free to reach out anytime at chaim.oigen@gmail.com

Re: "Just regular movies " 31 May 2023 20:29 #396627

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Good for you! Same problem, I had a 90 day streak, and realized I kept on being pulled by movies so I added that IYH will be enough. Just speaking from experience, you will have to find something else you are passionate about/enjoy doing that will fill the hole in you that movies is doing... Behatzlacha, we are here for you.
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: "Just regular movies " 31 May 2023 20:54 #396630

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
bright wrote on 31 May 2023 20:29:
Good for you! Same problem, I had a 90 day streak, and realized I kept on being pulled by movies so I added that IYH will be enough. Just speaking from experience, you will have to find something else you are passionate about/enjoy doing that will fill the hole in you that movies is doing... Behatzlacha, we are here for you.

Hey, thanks!

My original post was posted about 3 years ago. Since then, I've bh broken the addiction by keeping the strict guidelines I've written about.

After going cold Turkey for I believe roughly 2 years, the desire for them has decreased by an incredible amount, so I do allow myself to watch super clean movies occasionally. Very occasionally. I very rarely desire to, and even more seldom have something that's 100% guaranteed clean.

I will watch a very, very, clean TV show though, as long as it isn't too exciting. I literally can shut them in middle of episodes because I'm tired or have something to do, when in the past I would binge wildly every night till the next morning.

Once in the last year or so, I got excited about a clean trilogy and immediately made gedarim so I shouldn't fall into the trap again.

Is it the smartest to still dabble, even though they are clean etc? Maybe not, but at this point I really want it in my life, it helps me unwind in a much healthier way than in the past, and I feel confident enough in these tried and testedprecautions.

I do hope and plan to one day have the strength and courage to completely remove it from my life.

ODAAT.
Last Edit: 31 May 2023 20:56 by grant400.

Re: "Just regular movies " 31 May 2023 21:09 #396633

• bright
  • Current streak: 74 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks! I didn't realize how long ago I came to give Chizuk and ended up getting bu lilamed venimtze lumad Keep shteiging and being an inspiration. Did you find what I posted to be true
Nothing good grows in the dark. 

Re: "Just regular movies " 31 May 2023 22:08 #396637

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
bright wrote on 31 May 2023 21:09:
Thanks! I didn't realize how long ago I came to give Chizuk and ended up getting bu lilamed venimtze lumad Keep shteiging and being an inspiration. Did you find what I posted to be true

Regarding filling the hole? I kept myself busy, but didn't replace with a specific hobby etc.

Re: "Just regular movies " 31 May 2023 22:14 #396638

• yeshivaguy
  • Current streak: 6 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey Grant,

Not writing a cheerleading soliloquy, just to say I see you, am impressed with you.
And I’m with you.

Your brother in arms,

YeshivaGuy
Last Edit: 31 May 2023 22:15 by yeshivaguy.

Re: "Just regular movies " 27 Jun 2023 16:57 #398118

• grant400
  • Platinum Boarder
I have never liked the word "fall". It makes it sound as if we almost aren't at fault, and usually we are. Yet sometimes it is the correct term. Of course we made the decision to "act out" but it was in response to circumstances beyond our control. (Circumstance is beyond control, not the decision to act out.)

In some situations, even when trying your best, inevitable occurrences that you cannot control can start the ball rolling, and even though at the end of the day it is up to you to make the final decision, the infrastructure you worked so hard building simply may not be able to hold up the way it holds for normal circumstances.

Well, after such an introduction, here goes:

I fell. Goodbye 159.

There's something I never discussed on the forum and still do not wish to. It's something that has caused me alot of pain beyond words, and needed outside help to learn the tools to live with it. Bh, I've been lucky to have been overall successful in dealing with it, although it's a constant battle.

Unfortunately yesterday, there was a situation that came up in my life that effected me greatly, and caused things to spiral a bit to much for me to be able to cope myself. I immediately reached out to someone who can help, but unfortunately as of yet we have not been successful in connecting.

The pain and fear this caused me, had me searching for relatively innocent (yet I'm experienced enough to know that I was aware of the possibility of the final outcome) entertainment and distraction to get my mind off of obsessing about the issue. As is all too familiar to us, one thing led to another, until I finally bumped into something (shocking right?), and from there I was as pliable as clay in the hands of an experienced potter.

I like to think of it as a fall. My unfortunate response to an unfortunate circumstance. Is it an excuse? Maybe.

So there, I said it. I'm embarrassed and upset at myself, and feel that heavy disappointment of failure weighing on me, but with Hashem's help I'll move on to an even better place. Bh I recognize that I am in a much healthier place regarding lust than I was pretty much my whole life, and I am not discouraged about my past accomplishments. 

Onwards.
Last Edit: 27 Jun 2023 16:58 by grant400.

Re: "Just regular movies " 27 Jun 2023 17:31 #398120

• redfaced
  • Current streak: 517 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 27 Jun 2023 16:57:
I have never liked the word "fall". It makes it sound as if we almost aren't at fault, and usually we are. Yet sometimes it is the correct term. Of course we made the decision to "act out" but it was in response to circumstances beyond our control. (Circumstance is beyond control, not the decision to act out.)

In some situations, even when trying your best, inevitable occurrences that you cannot control can start the ball rolling, and even though at the end of the day it is up to you to make the final decision, the infrastructure you worked so hard building simply may not be able to hold up the way it holds for normal circumstances.

I fell. Goodbye 159.

There's something I never discussed on the forum and still do not wish to. It's something that has caused me alot of pain beyond words, and needed outside help to learn the tools to live with it. Bh, I've been lucky to have been overall successful in dealing with it, although it's a constant battle.

Unfortunately yesterday, there was a situation that came up in my life that effected me greatly, and caused things to spiral a bit to much for me to be able to cope myself. I immediately reached out to someone who can help, but unfortunately as of yet we have not been successful in connecting.

The pain and fear this caused me, had me searching for relatively innocent (yet I'm experienced enough to know that I was aware of the possibility of the final outcome) entertainment and distraction to get my mind off of obsessing about the issue. As is all too familiar to us, one thing led to another, until I finally bumped into something (shocking right?), and from there I was as pliable as clay in the hands of an experienced potter.

I like to think of it as a fall. My unfortunate response to an unfortunate circumstance. Is it an excuse? Maybe.

So there, I said it. I'm embarrassed and upset at myself, and feel that heavy disappointment of failure weighing on me, but with Hashem's help I'll move on to an even better place. Bh I recognize that I am in a much healthier place regarding lust than I was pretty much my whole life, and I am not discouraged about my past accomplishments. 

Onwards.

Hurting for you .
From my few years of lurking I can say that I have the fullest hopes in you.
You're one of the people that gave me huge inspiration.

KOT
May you slide down the banister of happiness and get many splinters of success up your career

Feel free to send me an owl, a howler, or even a Crumple-Horned Snorkack to Iamredfaced@gmail.com

The Red Face
Last Edit: 27 Jun 2023 20:14 by redfaced.

Re: "Just regular movies " 27 Jun 2023 18:22 #398124

• richtig
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 27 Jun 2023 16:57:

I fell. Goodbye 159.

Onwards.

Grant, Class Act. 
"It is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is our choices.” ---- Albus Dumbeldore (as per Chris Columbus)
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes