Welcome, Guest

Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation
(0 viewing) 
This is a board for all the important threads that we don't want to get lost among the others :-)

TOPIC: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 4880 Views

Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 00:32 #396412

• eccentriccomposer
  • Current streak: 299 days
  • Gold Boarder
RULES:

1) We are starting from the beginning.

2) We will read around 3 pages a day, I will try to put the page numbers on my post for the day, everyone should try to stay around the same place.

3) This program is open for anyone to join, whenever they like, the more the merrier!

4) This thread is open for anyone and everyone to participate, even if they haven't read the days section, its a way to keep everyone motivated to read the section, and remember it.

5) All haaros are welcome, try to keep it pertaining to the relevant section though so we don't get too distracted.

6) Everyone participating should try to post as often as they can to keep everyone else motivated.

Hatzlacha Rabba!

Click here for a link to the ebook!​
I am not active on the forums anymore so much, but I check my email daily, please reach out to me!

Feel free to message me if you need anything, I'll try to respond as soon as I can. I hope I can help!

Email: eccentriccomposer01@gmail.com

Eccentric Trip to Freedom
Daily Dose
Last Edit: 30 May 2023 00:40 by eccentriccomposer. Reason: Spelling

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 00:34 #396413

• eccentriccomposer
  • Gold Boarder
Inspiration:

Thank you everyone for inspiring me to get this started, I've been reading this daily for over a month, and its been quite eye opening. I think its a great chizzuk to read this, it helps even when the challenges aren't active, that you're able to keep it in mind and build yourself up.

Hatzlacha!
I am not active on the forums anymore so much, but I check my email daily, please reach out to me!

Feel free to message me if you need anything, I'll try to respond as soon as I can. I hope I can help!

Daily Dose

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 00:38 #396415

• eccentriccomposer
  • Gold Boarder
DAY 1: (Pages 9-11)

Introduction:

Very nice, a line that stood out:

"Never blame yourself for your impulses. All that matters is what you do with them."

Not much more for me to write for today, I hope I can see some more thoughts from everyone else!

Daily Dose

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 01:24 #396421

• vehkam
  • Current streak: 981 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks so much EC!  I hope this thread gets a huge following.

1) the page numbers in the hard copy of the book will be slightly off from the ebook version.  The intro in the hard copy is on pages 13-15.

2)what drew me in to this book was the Guilt-Trip Free Guarantee.  The positive outlook is established in the introduction of this book and it is maintained throughout.  

3)for those that want a hard copy, it is available on Amazon for around $10.  You can also PM me if you would like me to send you a copy.

best wishes to all,

vehkam
vehkam7@gmail.com

guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/375452-Work-in-progress

The Battle of the Generation by Hillel S. has been a huge help for me.  Message me to find out how you can receive a free copy.

some of the experiences I write about may make it easier to identify me.  This is ok.  I trust that if anyone discovers my identity they will keep it to themselves.  If you do realize that you  know me, I am completely comfortable and welcome you acknowledging me and my struggle in person.
Last Edit: 30 May 2023 01:25 by vehkam.

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 02:06 #396426

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
EccentricComposer wrote on 30 May 2023 00:38:
DAY 1: (Pages 9-11)

Introduction:

Very nice, a line that stood out:

"Never blame yourself for your impulses. All that matters is what you do with them."

Very true. Triggers appear, we start to desire. Nothing wrong with that. At all. We just need to learn to move on.

On the other hand, if we put ourselves in situations knowing that we will be triggered, then we are at fault. We can't ogle women, watch movies, read books and listen to podcasts that contain triggering material, and then complain about how hard it is.

If we do this, then we are indeed liable for our impulses. 

EC, looking forward to this thread. Thank you!
Last Edit: 30 May 2023 02:07 by grant400.

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 04:16 #396434

I clicked ‘Subscribe’ to this thread! I am looking forward for the daily dose!

I really want to thank you EC for taking the time and effort for doing this, it might be difficult for you but you’re going to get alot of followers iyh!
thanks!

Trying The Best! You'll become the best!

I can be reached at 1tryingthebest@gmail.com, 929-500-1185 (google voice number)

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 13:04 #396457

• Captain
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow great! I think i'll join too!

Let's get this thread pinned at the top of the forum (in this section)!
In the place where ba’alei teshuva stand, even pure tzaddikim who never sinned cannot stand. (Rabbi Avohu, Brachos 34b)

Great free resources:
My favorite book for breaking free: The Battle of the Generation 
https://guardyoureyes.com/ebooks/item/the-battle-of-the-generation. Change your attitude and change your life!

Rabbi Shafier's incredible lectures on breaking free: The Fight. Download here: 
https://theshmuz.com/series/the-fight/

If you're only ready to try something small, check out an easier way to do self-talk here:
https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/4-On-the-Way-to-90-Days/378128-Captain—Shtarkemotionals-Secret90Day-Challenge

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 14:57 #396468

• true_self
  • Current streak: 42 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Pages 15-17
"Challenges are only there to make us great! Succeeding despite the difficulty is the point of life! The harder it is, the greater it makes us."
"The deeper he has sunk, the higher he can reach."

I find these lined to be the most powerful of today, This is the massage i took from today's reading. (the story Is fascinating too, never heard it before)
My thread: From two identities to True self

If you want to reachout to me to talk please email: wish2banonym@gmail.com

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 15:09 #396470

• monseyyid41
  • Current streak: 95 days
  • Expert Boarder
Count me in. EC, this was a fantastic idea. I actually bought the e-book version of this book a few months ago but it's been sitting and collecting e-dust. For one reason or another, I never pushed myself to read it. But now, I have the push to do it. This is your Zechus, thank you!  
My thread: Forum (guardyoureyes.com)
We are not all in the same boat, but we are all in the same lake. And when one boat is in trouble, the other boats in the lake can quickly come to his aid. Feel free to reach out to me to give some chizuk or to receive some. monseyyid41@gmail.com

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 15:22 #396473

• willdoit
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Gold Boarder
Amazing idea!
You can count on me, although I started a while ago doing 1 page a day and now I am at the end but will start again to be part of this movement.

I just wanted to suggest, how bout doing one page a day, It might be at a slower pace, but I think it will help us contemplate on the ideas and let it sink in deeper.

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 30 May 2023 22:54 #396506

• eccentriccomposer
  • Gold Boarder
DAY 2: (Pages 15-17)

Chapter One (First Half):

Very inspirational, I love the point he is making. The challenge shouldn't be viewed negatively, rather your whole life is there FOR THE CHALLENGE. This makes it so much easier to get through, since you realize that its not a means to an end, but rather the end in and of itself.

Just and update on everything:

Thank you everyone for joining, please post often, we all want to hear everyone's opinion and it makes a huge difference. Also, the more people that join, the better, its a chizzuk to see how many people are taking this seriously and truly trying to grow.

I personally think 3 pages a day is good, any less than that and I feel I can't get a good idea of what the author is trying to convey, thank you willdoit for joining, I hope its ok if we keep it at this pace.

Hatzlacha Rabba everyone, I look forward to reading what everyone else has to say!

Daily Dose

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 31 May 2023 01:38 #396533

• grant400
  • Current streak: 13 days
  • Platinum Boarder
EccentricComposer wrote on 30 May 2023 22:54:

Very inspirational, I love the point he is making. The challenge shouldn't be viewed negatively, rather your whole life is there FOR THE CHALLENGE. This makes it so much easier to get through, since you realize that its not a means to an end, but rather the end in and of itself.

So obviously, we have heard this many times. The harder the challenge, the greater the reward and the more we grow.

Yet, throughout the years it's always bothered me. Isn't there a limit of what can be asked of us in today's depraved western culture? Filling up phones in our pockets and computers in every home, with "delicious" women engaging in "delicious" acts, accessible and free and yetvexpect us not to indulge?

Plaster scantily clad women in ads, commercials, magazines, newspapers, on billboards, cereal boxes, candy wrappers - literally every surface in this entire modern day world - yet expect us to fight man's natural desire and avert our gaze and not twittle our diddle in desperation?

It seems as if the world has never had to face such challenges that are so powerful and so readily and constantly available, but we must.

Yet, after much rumination, I understand the answer to be that this isn't the limit, because this isn't new at all. Yes, it may be rearing it's head under a new guise but the concept has always existed. G-d knows what a person is capable of and tests us to limits we can indeed achieve, because he only requires us to climb to heights we can reach.

Throughout the centuries and millenia, it seems there has always been the equivalent of today's "lust" struggles. Idolatry, being executed for learning and keeping torah, foreign ideology like Hellenism and the Haskalla movement, severe poverty and persecution for behaving like a yid, all these just as constant and  definitely just as (if not way more) painful. Even recently, having to work on shabbos to have the ability to hand a piece of bread to your starving young children.

Can you imagine the thoughts they must have struggled with? Isn't there a limit? Yet, we scoff at them and say "Shabbos? Torah? Of course I wouldn't have worked on shabbos! Torah is mamash chaim!" "Avodah zarah? Are they nuts?"

It's always one thing or another, that was their struggle and this is ours. It is constant, it is brutal and it's all over. Welcome to life for the past 5,000 years.

Like the author is pointing out, It's here for a reason!

It's not here by chance, but rather intentionally. Once we internalize it, it can help us change our perspective. It's a challenge we are put into this world with - in order to emerge victorious and reap the rewards. It's indeed an opportunity we can grab with both hands and utilize it to the fullest extent possible.

Let's try to heed his words, and tackle this challenge on the offensive, happy to emerge victorious, instead of cowering in a defensive position and pitying ourselves and our lot.
Last Edit: 31 May 2023 01:41 by grant400.

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 31 May 2023 13:02 #396570

• eccentriccomposer
  • Gold Boarder
Grant400 wrote on 31 May 2023 01:38:

EccentricComposer wrote on 30 May 2023 22:54:

So obviously, we have heard this many times. The harder the challenge, the greater the reward and the more we grow.

Yet, throughout the years it's always bothered me. Isn't there a limit of what can be asked of us in today's depraved western culture? Filling up phones in our pockets and computers in every home, with "delicious" women engaging in "delicious" acts, accessible and free and yetvexpect us not to indulge?

Plaster scantily clad women in ads, commercials, magazines, newspapers, on billboards, cereal boxes, candy wrappers - literally every surface in this entire modern day world - yet expect us to fight man's natural desire and avert our gaze and not twittle our diddle in desperation?

It seems as if the world has never had to face such challenges that are so powerful and so readily and constantly available, but we must.

Yet, after much rumination, I understand the answer to be that this isn't the limit, because this isn't new at all. Yes, it may be rearing it's head under a new guise but the concept has always existed. G-d knows what a person is capable of and tests us to limits we can indeed achieve, because he only requires us to climb to heights we can reach.

Throughout the centuries and millenia, it seems there has always been the equivalent of today's "lust" struggles. Idolatry, being executed for learning and keeping torah, foreign ideology like Hellenism and the Haskalla movement, severe poverty and persecution for behaving like a yid, all these just as constant and  definitely just as (if not way more) painful. Even recently, having to work on shabbos to have the ability to hand a piece of bread to your starving young children.

Can you imagine the thoughts they must have struggled with? Isn't there a limit? Yet, we scoff at them and say "Shabbos? Torah? Of course I wouldn't have worked on shabbos! Torah is mamash chaim!" "Avodah zarah? Are they nuts?"

It's always one thing or another, that was their struggle and this is ours. It is constant, it is brutal and it's all over. Welcome to life for the past 5,000 years.

Like the author is pointing out, It's here for a reason!

It's not here by chance, but rather intentionally. Once we internalize it, it can help us change our perspective. It's a challenge we are put into this world with - in order to emerge victorious and reap the rewards. It's indeed an opportunity we can grab with both hands and utilize it to the fullest extent possible.

Let's try to heed his words, and tackle this challenge on the offensive, happy to emerge victorious, instead of cowering in a defensive position and pitying ourselves and our lot.

Honestly, this is absolutely incredible! Thank you so much!

Daily Dose

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 31 May 2023 14:28 #396579

• monseyyid41
  • Current streak: 95 days
  • Expert Boarder
I'm going to comment on today's portion (second half of chapter 1). For me, this point was a very strong one: 
"When the yetzer hara disturbs our Torah study and tefillah with desires, we must not view them as an annoyance. Our Torah and tefillah are far more powerful when we succeed despite desires."
Often, the reason I get so frustrated with battling the Y'H is not always because of how hard it is but how annoying it is. It gets in the way of what we think is "real" Avodas Hashem - our Davening and Learning. When we understand that this battle is the Avodah that Hashem wants from us, it not only makes it less frustrating, but the Davening and Learning itself is enhanced.
My thread: Forum (guardyoureyes.com)
We are not all in the same boat, but we are all in the same lake. And when one boat is in trouble, the other boats in the lake can quickly come to his aid. Feel free to reach out to me to give some chizuk or to receive some. monseyyid41@gmail.com

Re: Daily Dose of The Battle of the Generation 01 Jun 2023 00:01 #396641

• eccentriccomposer
  • Gold Boarder
DAY 3: (Pages 18-20)

Chapter One (Second Half):

Stay optimistic, the challenges are meant for you to succeed! 

Again, I'm glad we have an oilam in our "Daf Yomi" cycle here, I'd love to hear from everyone!

Hatzlacha!

Daily Dose
Time to create page: 0.70 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes