Welcome, Guest

Glad to be here
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Glad to be here 92478 Views

Re: Glad to be here 20 Sep 2016 12:32 #295348

• Newleaf354
  • Current streak: 106 days
  • Junior Boarder
serenity wrote on 18 Sep 2016 14:53:

One of my short comings is that when a guy comes back on here with his stories about all the ways he acted out during his absence, what women he was flirting with, how close he came to the big thrill, and now he wants his big welcome back so he can make himself feel better (and rest up for the next exploit), I just want to vomit. 

So, it's a healthy sign to be putting more energy into real life. But still, how to be involved here.  I have some reservations about being so active here on this forum. One reason is because, even without p*rnography, part of my problem is that I also spend too much time on the computer.

Another problem is that I was here in a past life and people would come and cry out for help or ask sincere questions and they were in serious trouble and I'd put a lot of thought into it and spend a lot of time to answer them and, more often than not, they would simply disappear. So, I felt I was just getting burned over and over again, wasting lots of my time on people who were crying for help but didn't really want to take it.

--NL354

Re: Glad to be here 20 Sep 2016 20:56 #295407

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Newleaf354 wrote on 20 Sep 2016 12:32:

Another problem is that I was here in a past life and people would come and cry out for help or ask sincere questions and they were in serious trouble and I'd put a lot of thought into it and spend a lot of time to answer them and, more often than not, they would simply disappear. So, I felt I was just getting burned over and over again, wasting lots of my time on people who were crying for help but didn't really want to take it.

--NL354

Is a person in Kiruv who has invested so much in trying to bring people closer to Hashem, considered to have wasted his time if at the end those people do not embrace Yidishkeit? If we ourselves fail at something Ruchni after putting forth a strong effort, has the struggle been a total loss?
You put forth the effort to assist others, and the rest is out of your hands. You did what Hashem wanted of you. Hold your head high - you were not burned.
Besides what happened to these guys? you don't even know. Maybe it was actually your words of support that made a major change in their lives.
A while ago I was commenting regularly on a guys thread and for some reason he never commented or thanked me. I noticed he did for others but not me. I was not insulted at all, I figured my style simply did not resonate with him. Besides - we must understand that people on this sight are hurting, sometimes deeply hurting  and it behooves us to be lomed lekaf zechus. I decided not to comment on his thread as he was clearly not interested.
A week later I get a PM from him asking my opinion on something. I was stunned.
Buddy, ya just never know.

Re: Glad to be here 22 Sep 2016 16:50 #295485

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
I can relate to what you're saying. People got sober before I was here and they'll get sober when I'm not here. So I'll help when I can so long as it's not hurting me and I'll let go of the rest. I definitely need to set limits. 
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Glad to be here 25 Sep 2016 09:25 #295552

• trysohard
  • Current streak: 2809 days
  • Expert Boarder
  • clever avatar goes here
I just read this topic from start to finish. I learned a lot from you Serenity! Your brilliant and brutal honesty (and wit) are really eye-opening. So set your limits, but we'll definitely appreciate whatever you share.
clever signature goes here

Re: Glad to be here 02 Oct 2016 17:18 #295824

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Wishing everyone a good and sweet year; a year in which we can see ourselves with stark honesty, the same honesty with which we often see the faults of others but are blinded when it comes to our short comings; a year of guidance from Hashem; a year of humility and surrender; a year of sobriety and freedom from the compulsion to act out; a year of freedom from our character defects; and, a year within which our own enlightened self interest tells us we must stop acting out. 

I hope that if I've hurt you in any way you can find the compassion to forgive me. 

כְּתִיבָה וַחֲתִימָה טוֹבָה
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.

Re: Glad to be here 02 Oct 2016 19:48 #295830

• gevura shebyesod
  • Current streak: 1199 days
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Amen!

!אנא עבדא דקודשא בריך הוא

וּבְיָדְךָ כֹּחַ וּגְבוּרָה וּבְיָדְךָ לְגַדֵּל וּלְחַזֵּק לַכֹּל

"If it would be so easy there wouldn't be a GYE, but if it would be impossible there also wouldn't be a GYE."
"Sometimes a hard decision leads to an easier outcome."
- General Grant

My story: guardyoureyes.com/forum/19-Introduce-Yourself/111583-hello-my-friends

Re: Glad to be here 20 Dec 2016 02:47 #300460

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
I just wrote a whole long comment and deleted it. Just want to check in and say hello and give thanks to Hashem, SA, GYE and you for helping me stay sober for 21 months today. 
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 20 Dec 2016 03:19 #300463

• Workingguy
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow! That's amazing!

Re: Glad to be here 20 Dec 2016 08:32 #300478

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
MAZELTOOOOOVVV! That's a true Blackjack.
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread

Re: Glad to be here 20 Dec 2016 12:41 #300505

• cordnoy
Y,

Keep it up.

B'hatzlachah
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Glad to be here 20 Dec 2016 16:30 #300553

• mirror
  • Expert Boarder
I guess that you felt that it was not appropriate to write the deleted comment again, but you did feel that the comment was significant enough to mention the fact that you had written it to begin with. I am wondering what sort of thing would have fallen within that parameter.

Re: Glad to be here 22 Dec 2016 01:56 #300790

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Sometimes I write a comment and then I think about whether it will be helpful to me or others and I may look at my motives.The comment was describing some of the many lengths I have gone to for sobriety and I wasn't sure if it was useful to others to write it all out because it may have come across as overwhelming to some and probably not necessary for most anyway. Also I have written it out previously so someone can find it they are meant to. 
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 22 Dec 2016 02:01 #300791

• trysohard
  • Current streak: 2809 days
  • Expert Boarder
  • clever avatar goes here
that's real gevura. to not post a comment after you wrote it already. i don't think i'm capable of that- look i'll try.....  if you see this it means i failed
clever signature goes here

Re: Glad to be here 20 Mar 2017 01:14 #308581

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
I wanted to share in my gratitude and acknowledge my two year anniversary in sobriety today. GYE was a big a help to me and continues to be. Although I don't spend in the time in this forum I do call in regularly to the group calls. In addition to GYE I'm working a program of recovery in SA where i have a sponsor and work the steps. I also am in therapy. That is what I do. My part. Without a Higher Power which I choose to call God, I would not be sober. I also believe that there are neshamos pulling for me. I may at times have fierce resentments against religion and serious doubts but I think that's normal. We are after all thinking, intelligent and creative human beings.

Thanks for letting me share.   
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 20 Mar 2017 08:29 #308605

• Singularity
  • Current streak: 72 days
  • Platinum Boarder
  • To write, or not to write?
Mazeltov again!

Hatzlocha for the next day
"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his sobriety level?"
"... It's over NINE-ZEROOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

One day... At A Time :-D

Introduce Yourself and get a free karma point from yours truley!
My Thread
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes