Welcome, Guest

Glad to be here
(0 viewing) 
Welcome to our forum! Introduce yourself here (anonymously, of course) and get a warm welcome from the rest of the community!

TOPIC: Glad to be here 92492 Views

Re: Glad to be here 22 Apr 2015 14:34 #252875

• newaction
  • Platinum Boarder
Hashivalisesonyishecho wrote:
For me I find that when I am unable to do the things that usually make me fulfilled with my accomplishments or with anything that I was planing or wanted to do, I fall into yiush and that could make me act out. I think my job in such cases is to make lemonades of whatever types possible with all and any of the lemons I am handed.

Yes definitely ! Let Hashem run His world as He pleases. The ביטול of the ego. We were supposed to have done that Erev Pesach כל חד בדרגא דיליה. But its never too late . Now during the Omer its a good time to work on our middos. In short it is the אנכי who is עומד בניכם ובין השם.

Re: Glad to be here 23 Apr 2015 03:25 #252928

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Just wondering if I can up my own Karma

Today just for sobriety I, yai yai, yai yai, yai yai. I'm not sure what I did. Okay I know, I came here to make this silly post.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts
Lions & Tigers & Internet, Oh My!

--"ולא המדרש עיקר, אלא המעשה"
--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
--You hit rock bottom when you decide to stop digging.

Re: Glad to be here 23 Apr 2015 04:24 #252931

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
  • פדני מעושק אדם-מיצר הרע העושק את הבריות-רש"י
No need for you to, I did it for you!!

KOMT!!! KOSP!!!!
Yankel | My Ladder | Talking to Hashem
I'm just a dude, another guy on this bus.
Have a great day, unless, of course, you made other plans. ~ obbormottel
"Nothing changes as long as everything stays the same" ~ Dov

Re: Glad to be here 24 Apr 2015 03:09 #253004

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Today just for recovery I came home early and made being home with my family a priority.

I have been getting a lot of inspiration from Muhammad Ali and championship boxing. Ali came back three times to regain the heavy weight championship. We can have it a lot easier than Ali. He intentionally got into the ring with his opponents, at times with odds stacked greatly against him. The truth is that in the final analysis, he came out pretty beat up from boxing to the extent it caused or agitated his Parkinson's. At a certain point he would have better off to stop trying to prove himself to others. Still, all and all, the reason he won fights against the odds is because, he completely through himself into training for the fights. He said that the reason he wins fights is because the other guy isn't prepared to die to win. To me this is an example of how I need to throw myself into recovery. I have to train and train and train. I'm not training for the fight with lust though. I'm training to never get into that fight. If I don't throw myself completely into training to avoid that fight, I'll find myself in the ring. I may win at times and show valiant effort, but at the end I will be a cripple.

Many of us are very accomplished people in our own right. Many of us have the strength and ability to accomplish a lot when we want to. When I was in yeshiva, I was told it was a very bad sin to masturbate and I shouldn't do it. That it a major problem in our generation and that I need to do teshuvah if I fall. That is all true and good and well. I was also told that I needed to make my life about being dedicated to yiddishkeit, to be a yirah shmayim and a talmid chochom etc. Part of that of course is don't sin, and if you sin do teshuvah. The message in essence was be a yirah shmayim and you won't masturbate and if you do there's teshuvah. But for me masturbation wasn't just a sin, it was a compulsion and it was chronic and obsessive. So that message wasn't the right one for me. The right message for me would have been, dedicate your entire being into recovery from sex addiction. Don't try to be a yirah shmayim, don't try to be a talmud chochom, forget about being a gadol or a rabbi or anything. Dedicate yourself, so that your only purpose is to get to the bottom of your addiction and get recovery. Once you have that, then everything else follows. You'll be a yirah shmayim, a talmud chochom, a good chaver, a good husband, brother, father, son etc. If I want recovery as bad as Muhammad Ali wanted to beat George Foreman, and if I'm willing to go to any length to get it, as he was with the championship, I will have it.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

--"To promise not to do a thing is the surest way in the world to make a body want to go and do that very thing." Mark Twain
--"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking (or lusting), you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic (or sexaholic)." AA Big Book P. 45. Parenthesis added.
Last Edit: 24 Apr 2015 17:32 by serenity.

Re: Glad to be here 24 Apr 2015 04:40 #253013

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Good Moshel
notice that in that fight he didn't fight him head on for the most part but rather by rope-a dope was willing to take the punches and then when his adversary was weakened he was able to overcome him.

Re: Glad to be here 24 Apr 2015 17:37 #253054

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Yes, very true, thanks. May Hashem give us the strength to take the punches. Lust ain't no dope, so we need Hashem to trick him and tire him out. Ali actually professed that his faith is what gave him the courage for that fight. Foreman was a real dope though in those days. He let Ali get under his skin and throw him off his strategy.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 24 Apr 2015 18:16 #253057

• yiraishamaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Right on. and don't forget the intense heat where the fight took place.

As for faith, Foreman himself became very religious - both were

heavyweight champs of the world and yet they had the wisdom to seek out G-d

As you already said - May Hashem give us strength, and all participants on the forum to

succeed in our challenges.

Gut Shabbos

Re: Glad to be here 27 Apr 2015 02:08 #253158

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Today just for recovery, I made a phone call that I have been avoiding for a few days concerning a stressful matter that has been festering for days. The person didn't even answer me, but I did my part and it feels really good to be free of that.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 27 Apr 2015 03:43 #253163

Hi Serenity
I get so much Chizzuk from your posts. Keep up the great work.

Re: Glad to be here 27 Apr 2015 07:52 #253171

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
What a great short, real life post!!

I can totally relate!! Being able to humble ourselves and our pride to do what Life has inn plan for us, accepting that we don't run the world!!

I miss those times......I really hope I'm on the right track to going back there.

Re: Glad to be here 28 Apr 2015 01:06 #253274

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
Today I was driving into an area that I know to be filled with attractive people. My theory is that every time I go there, I do something for recovery. This may help me retrain my mind, so it thinks recovery instead of lust. Anyway I remembered my plan and sent a text out to a chaver. I'm not sure about how if this approach is good fotr me in the long run or not, but so far it's working.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 28 Apr 2015 13:28 #253308

• cordnoy
Today for recovery:

1. I didn't do my usual prayer at the end of S"E.
2. I apologized to someone for sayin' somethin' i should not have, but my apology was in order for her (sorry) to notice me.
3. I did share my dream (although it's not my style, and I will get badgered for it); so this was a good thing.

Thanks
My email: thenewme613@hotmail.com
My threads: Mikvah Night - Page 1Page 2Page 3Last Page

https://guardyoureyes.com/forum/1-Break-Free/210029-Tryin
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
My job: Punchin' bag of GYE - "NeshamaInCharge"
Quote from the chevra: "Is Cordnoy truly a Treasure Island pirate from the Southern Seas?"

MY POSTS ARE NOT WRITTEN AS A MODERATOR UNLESS EXPLICITLY STATED.

Re: Glad to be here 28 Apr 2015 15:03 #253314

• serenity
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "ONE DAY AT A TIME"
I did a small thing today, but the point is that I only did it for recovery. My wife asked me to make a phone call to take care of something and I said yes and made the call. My first instinct was to tell her to make the call. I realized this could cause unnecessary strife and on the other hand if I just agreed it could cause extra harmony. Strife is not good for me in addiction and harmony is, so there you have it.

Is this one little thing going to be the answer for me? I don't know, but I have a lot of little things in the other direction to make up for. Sometimes we hear that we can recover from addiction quickly and sometimes we hear that it can take years to undo the damage as it took years to do it. These are really talking about 2 different things. We can get abstinent and sober right away and stay that way. We don't have to go back out. It doesn't have to take a long time to get lasting abstinence. For some of us, we can also have an immediate improvement in our life. There still is years of damage that we have done, much of which we may not even realize. One example of that for me is the damage that I have done to the trust and confidence that my wife has in me. That doesn't get repaired over night. It gets repaired slowly by me being the husband I should have been all along.
Much Hatzlacha!

My Threads:
Glad to be here
Don't slip it hurts

Re: Glad to be here 28 Apr 2015 15:37 #253316

• TalmidChaim
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow, I'm so impressed by this post and what it represents. I can definitely say that the little things are the hardest to achieve. The big things -- clean days, sobriety, guarding our eyes -- they get all the attention, all the discussion, all the thought here. So it's understandable that we overlook the small stuff. But it's the small stuff that really matters, "the still small voice."
0% Tolerance and 100% Self-Forgiveness.

Lo ba-shamayim hi
Mellow out.
Last Edit: 28 Apr 2015 15:38 by TalmidChaim.

Re: Glad to be here 28 Apr 2015 18:05 #253333

• Pidaini
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you for sharing!!

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think that this is the answer. That is, "this" in broader sense.

We aren't really recovering (only) from lust, we are recovering from selfishness, and any act of selflessness, of doing something for someone else just to make it easier for them, that is recovering our selflessness!!

On that note, I think I'm going to go tidy up the kitchen, maybe my wife will be able to go to sleep a few minutes earlier tonight!
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes