Welcome, Guest

My Torah instead of falling
(0 viewing) 
Im Paga be’cha menuval zeh, mushchei'hu le- BEIS HAMEDRASH! This board is for divrei Torah relating to our struggle with the Yetzer Hara, from the entire spectrum of Tanach, Chazal, Mussar and Chassidus. On this board there will be no posts about personal struggles and no debates. Only TORAH CHIZUK.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Torah instead of falling 681 Views

My Torah instead of falling 30 Jun 2022 23:57 #382697

Hi,

A difficult area for me is when I'm kinda just bored and sitting around. I end up just surfing the internet and end up in areas I don't want to be.

What I'm going to try to do instead is when I feel things are difficult I am going to try to write up a shtickel torah instead of wasting time on a slippery slope.

I will try to post the dvar torah here every time, as a public commitment.
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 01 Jul 2022 00:04 #382698

Here's the first one, fresh from today. Definitely didn't come up with any chiddush, but just sitting and writing something is such a mchayiv to pay attention and not get distracted with other stuff.

The Rama in orech chaim (s' taf kuf yud s'k zayin) brings a machlokes if you can salt many pieces of radish on yom tov. The mishnah berurah brings (from the Taz) that the reason of those who assur is because it is possible to salt one by one.
This din is hard to understand. Salting radishes is only a gezairah that it looks like bishul. How can we assur something-even something that doesn't need to be done--when the root issur is muttar on yom tov?
It must be that just like bishul shelo ltzorach is assur, we assur even things that look like bishul when there is no tzorach for it to look like bishul. The ossrim hold that that there is no tzorech here since you can do it in a way that doesn't look like bishul, while the mattirim hold that since you want to eat it this way it's muttar (just like actual bishul is).
It just seems interesting how far we take this gezairah of looking like bishul.

That's all for now. No deep thoughts, but it really takes my mind away from distractions when I write down what I'm learning. Iy''h I'll be able to keep this up.
We are not the same people we once were. We are not so locked into our urges that we have no choice. We can choose to give in or choose to win this battle today. We do not want to give in, the pleasure of giving in is false. 
With Hashem on our side our victory is inevitable; the only way we can lose is by giving up on playing the game.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 01 Jul 2022 00:43 #382700

• DeletedUser1224
  • Current streak: 399 days
  • Expert Boarder
Chooseurname wrote on 30 Jun 2022 23:57:
Hi,

A difficult area for me is when I'm kinda just bored and sitting around. I end up just surfing the internet and end up in areas I don't want to be.

What I'm going to try to do instead is when I feel things are difficult I am going to try to write up a shtickel torah instead of wasting time on a slippery slope.

I will try to post the dvar torah here every time, as a public commitment.

Sounds like a great idea!! Looking forward to hearing your torah thoughts and you should have hatzlacha in your journey!!
If you are in the same situation as me, a bachur who’s fighting every day to break free, feel free to reach out to me at hopeful1245@gmail.com. I can use the chizuk from other bachrim and im sure you can use the chizuk as well. We are all in this together!
My thread on the forum

Re: My Torah instead of falling 01 Jul 2022 04:13 #382708

• future paltiel
  • Current streak: 1 day
  • Expert Boarder
Yup. Can't wait for more. You'll really do us a favor by sharing a nice vort with us whenever you can.
that was an interesting thought.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 05 Jul 2022 15:27 #382864

Well, here we are again. Had a little slip up yesterday and feeling tempted to continue at work today. So here's a short thought and then hopefully I'll be able to focus on work.
There's a famous gemara in brachos 28b that says when R' Yochana ben Zakai got sick his talmidim went to visit him. He began crying and explained that if he was going to be judged before a mortal king he would cry, so now that he is dying and going to be judged before Hashem of course he is going to cry.
אִילּוּ לִפְנֵי מֶלֶךְ בָּשָׂר וָדָם הָיוּ מוֹלִיכִין אוֹתִי, שֶׁהַיּוֹם כָּאן וּמָחָר בַּקֶּבֶר, שֶׁאִם כּוֹעֵס עָלַי אֵין כַּעֲסוֹ כַּעַס עוֹלָם, וְאִם אוֹסְרֵנִי — אֵין אִיסּוּרוֹ אִיסּוּר עוֹלָם, וְאִם מְמִיתֵנִי — אֵין מִיתָתוֹ מִיתַת עוֹלָם, וַאֲנִי יָכוֹל לְפַיְּיסוֹ בִּדְבָרִים וּלְשַׁחֲדוֹ בְּמָמוֹן, אַף עַל פִּי כֵן הָיִיתִי בּוֹכֶה, וְעַכְשָׁיו שֶׁמּוֹלִיכִים אוֹתִי לִפְנֵי מֶלֶךְ מַלְכֵי הַמְּלָכִים הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא, שֶׁהוּא חַי וְקַיָּים לְעוֹלָם וּלְעוֹלְמֵי עוֹלָמִים, שֶׁאִם כּוֹעֵס עָלַי — כַּעֲסוֹ כַּעַס עוֹלָם, וְאִם אוֹסְרֵנִי — אִיסּוּרוֹ אִיסּוּר עוֹלָם, וְאִם מְמִיתֵנִי — מִיתָתוֹ מִיתַת עוֹלָם, וְאֵינִי יָכוֹל לְפַיְּיסוֹ בִּדְבָרִים וְלֹא לְשַׁחֲדוֹ בְּמָמוֹן

In his kal v'chomer RYB"Z says that a human king could be appeased with words or bribed with money, but Hashem cannot. The meforshim question this statement because aren't we able to appease Hashem with tefillah and "bribe him" with tzedekah? There appears to be a machlokes between the maharsha and the ben yehoyada here. [Writing from memory here since I don't have them in front of me].
The Maharsha learns that tefillah and tzedekah could affect his judgment, but RYB"Z was referring to the time after his death when he could no longer daven or give tzedekah. [But perhaps his students could have davened and given tzedekah on his behalf?].
The Ben Yehoyadah takes a different approach. He learns that davening and tzedekah cannot change a din without teshuva as well. Obviously, those actions are meritious and it's difficult to understand why they would have no effect on his judgment. It could be that RYB"Z was concerned if he would have to go through gehinom at all, and while tefillah and tzedekah could increase his reward or lessen his punishment, it could not patur him from gehinom completely without teshuva as well.

This was helpful for me.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 23 May 2023 06:16 #396073

This is incredible!

Re: My Torah instead of falling 29 May 2023 23:22 #396401

איתא בפרשתנו (י, יז): "אשר לא ישא פנים ולא יקח שוחד". וצריך להבין מהו הקא סלקא דעתך שהקב"ה יקח שוחד היפך הציווי "ושוחד לא תיקח"? וביותר תמוה, שהרי איתא במדרש שהקב"ה מקבל שוחד של תשובה? 

והנה, מפרשים מבארים שהקב"ה לוקח שוחד של תשובה, וקא משמע לן שהקב"ה לוקח רק שוחד של תשובה אך לא שוחד של מצוות אחרות (שגם אם עושה הרבה מצות אין זה מכפר על עברות שעשה). אך צריך להבין איך מקבל הקב"ה שוחד של תשובה, ואם נאמר שעל ידי התשובה מתכפר החטא ולכן מוחל הקב"ה, אם כן אין זה שוחד אלא זהו כפי הדין?

והביאור: בהקדים שבכפרה על ידי תשובה ישנם ב' ענינים: (א) מצד החפצא דהחטא - שהחטא מתכפר. (ב) מצד הגברא - שאין זה אותו האדם שחטא, ואם כן גם אם הפעולה והחפצא של החטא ישנו מכל מקום אין האדם נענש כי אינו אותו האדם שחטא. והנפקא מינה בין התשובה שמצד החפצא לתשובה שמצד הגברא הוא בדברים שהם "מעוות לא יכול לתקון", שהתשובה מצד החפצא אינו מועיל, כי אינו יכול לתקן את החפצא, אך מ"מ יכול לעשות תשובה מצד הגברא, שאז אין הוא אותו האדם שחטא.

וזהו הביאור השוחד דתשובה: אף ששינוי הגברא הוא דוקא כשהתשובה היא בשלימות, מכל מקום מכפר הקב"ה גם כשהתשובה אינה בשלימות, ולכן מצד האדם הרי זה נראה כשוחד. אך מכל מקום אין זה סתירה להפסוק "לא יקח שוחד" כי הקב"ה רואה שישנה כבר נקודת השינוי - שאין זה
אותו האדם שחטא - ורק שחסר בשלימות התשובה - בהתפשטות נקודה זו לכל האדם
ע"פ (קיצור) לקוטי שיחות חל"ד ע' 59 (עקב ב)here is a link to the whole sicha drive.google.com/file/d/1mG_TKVC06jzE2kUawPZnMev_fscuQKCS/view?pli=1

Re: My Torah instead of falling 08 May 2024 19:51 #412847

Resuscitating this thread. I feel like this thread should see a lot more action. To misquote a gemara: "If the yetzer hara bumps into you, distract yourself with writing Torah thoughts on GYE."

Mishna in shabbos 10:3. One who carries in the hem of his garment is patur because it is not a normal way of carrying. I believe the gemara in the second perek discusses a tailor who goes out with his needle stuck in his jacket. He is chayuv because it is a normal way of carrying for him.  
Something that becomes part of the beged though is mutar. 
It's interesting to note that wearing clothes is not considered carrying at all, except for the gezeirah by things that a person may take off.
I feel like this might be a sugya in bama isha yotzes, but is clothing allowed on shabbos because it is not at all similar to carrying or because it b'etzem would be included as carrying with a shinui but chazal allowed clothes as kavod habrios?  

This was helpful.
Last Edit: 08 May 2024 19:54 by DeletedUser1211.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 08 May 2024 21:31 #412856

• horizon
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
Actually looks like you're resuscitating the whole forum nowadays... keep it up 

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

טאטע טאטע טאטע איך וויל זיין, יא איך וויל זיין, א ירא שמים

my forum

Last Edit: 08 May 2024 21:33 by horizon.

Re: My Torah instead of falling 11 Jul 2024 15:25 #416891

• chosemyshem
  • Platinum Boarder
Not really writing this instead of falling, but a good place to put this week's Rav Leuchter email. A really great analysis of one benefit of taking it One Day At A Time.

Rashi: “And the spirit of the nation was short from the path - from the toil of the journey, which was difficult for them. They said, now we were close to entering the Land, and we are turning back, just as our fathers turned back and were delayed thirty-eight years until this day. Therefore, their spirit was short from the discomfort of the journey… And anything which is difficult for a person can be described as a shortness of spirit, like a person who is confronted with toil and his mind is not broad enough to accept it, and he does not have place in his heart where that pain can reside…”

One of the basic challenges of life is to be able to carry on even in painful or stressful situations. To a great degree, we have been trained to narrow our focus as much as possible, until we do not see the pain.

But Rashi here writes that pain and distress is to be dealt with not by limiting our focus, but rather with “דעתו רחבה”—broadmindedness. Now, דעתו רחבה does not mean that the person finds different ways to escape his pain; that would be clever, not broad. דעתו רחבה implies that the person is able to live with his pain. He has “place in his heart where that pain can reside”. He trusts in the Borei Olam: not that it won't hurt, but that he can continue to live even now, and he is able to identify the possibility for Avodah in each and every situation. דעתו רחבה is the opposite of “shortness of spirit”, where the person cannot accept the difficulty of his situation.

͠     ͠     ͠

There is, however, one source of pain that even the hearts of the “broadminded” cannot hold: the distress we bring upon ourselves through “דמיונות”, when we invent in our imaginations current or future calamities.

Klal Yisroel had traveled for quite some time—why were they overwhelmed by the difficulties of their journey specifically at this point, as they were circling around the land of Edom? Rashi writes that once they had been so close to Eretz Yisroel, and were now turning back, they feared that they would share the fate of the previous generation, to wander in the desert for another forty years. It was this worry, completely imagined, that brought them to a state of “shortness of spirit”. A person receives a special “siyata deshmaya”—heavenly assistance—to deal with whatever life brings upon him. Whatever the difficulty is, he can always find “place in his heart”. But there is no special siyata deshmaya for imagined misfortunes. Why should there be a siyata deshmaya, if he brought these worries upon himself? And thus, even though we are in truth able to withstand a great deal, we often crumble in the face of worries about the future which more often than not, never even come to fruition.

At any given moment, a herd of zebras may be attacked by a lion pride, and required to flee. Why is it, then, that zebras do not suffer from high blood pressure, from all that stress? One neurologist suggested as a reason that a zebra does not worry about the future. If there is a lion, he runs. If there is no lion, he eats grass. I am not advocating “mindfulness”, that we should live only in the present, like a zebra. Far from it. But we should recognize that very often it is not the actual difficulties of life that overwhelm us, but rather our own imaginations.

Not giving in hurts. Giving in hurts. But we can withstand that pain. It's the pain of tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow that sometimes gets us. And the way out of that is to ignore tomorrow.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes