Additional Tools for Recovery
ADDITIONAL TOOLS FOR RECOVERY
IMPROVE RELATION WITH SELF
1. Short prayer, "I'm powerless, please G-d help me!"
2. Move somewhere else. (Get away from the trigger!)
3. Pick up litter.
4. Sing (or hum) a favorite tune. Or listen to music.
5. Call someone from the program or the forum NOW. (Or post)
5. Get to a meeting AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. (Get to the forum)
6. When you're angry: Ask yourself, "What am I ashamed of right now?"
HAVING A PROGRAM
7. Participate in the fellowship of the program.
8. Take the Step Zero questionnaire.
9. Admit complete defeat.
10. Answer the 20 Questions found in the White Book ( pg 8 ).
11. Get a sponsor.
12. Treat your sponsor's suggestions as orders.
13. Work the steps (all 12 of them!).
14. Have a daily program (but not one's own).
15. Read the "Just for Today" card every morning.
16. Live in the solution (and not in the problem).
17. Don’t lust, and go to meetings.
18. Home group.
19. 90 meetings in 90 days (temporary measure).
20. Start a meeting.
21. Take on a commitment.
22. 5 meetings a week (regular program).
23. Telephone meetings.
24. SA Net.
25. Step 1 meetings.
26. Check meetings.
BASIC SELF CARE
27. Zero tolerance for lust.
28. Avoid all known triggers--people, places, and things.
29. Abstain from all mood-altering chemicals.
30. Avoid emotion-rocking activities.
31. Abstain from sugars and white flour.
32. Write a Pornography-free certificate.
33. Dump sexualized clothing.
34. Know clearly: What is sex with self?
35. Find yourself clean forms of entertainment.
36. TV and Movie abstinence.
37. Ask yourself, "What am I feeling right now?"
38. Early to bed, early to rise...
H.A.L.T. (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired)
39. Keep phone beside bed.
40. International phone numbers.
41. Healthy food
42. Moderate exercise
43. Accountability or filtration software
INTENSE EGO DEFLATION
44. Get out of self
45. Practice rigorous honesty
46. Talk in detail to sponsor
47. What am I not telling my sponsor?
48. Over my dead body
49. Am I done with lust?
50. Am I in or out of SA (GYE)?
52. Ask for feedback
53. Ask for reality checks
55. Do what I don’t want to do
56. Clean the toilet
57. Pray out loud
58. Litany of Humility
ON THE STREET
59. Take a different road to avoid triggers.
60. The SA (or GYE) salute.
61. Custody of the eyes.
62. Paving stones and rooftops.
63. Flick your eyes to the top left.
64. Shake your head.
65. Snap the elastic band.
66. Don't breath through your nose.
67. "G-d, may I find in You what I'm looking for in that woman (etc.)"
68. "G-d, take away my lust. I pray for her (etc.)."
69. "G-d, please take away this image (or fantasy)"
70. Bookend risky situations.
71. What's my next right action?
72. Rushing is not sober.
73. What would my sponsor do?
74. What would my sponsor say?
75. Take an action of love.
76. If I can't reach my sponsor, the answer is "no."
77. If in doubt, leave it out.
78. Always have a plan, and use it.
79. Abstinence from lust is the most important thing in my life without exception.
80. All hits are toxic; I refuse them.
81. I won't act out--no matter what.
82. It's none of my business.
83. Who I am is none of my business.
84. Bring reality into situations.
85. No one is flirting with me.
86. No one is lusting after me.
87. This is not a sexual situation.
88. Only a sick person would respond to my lustful advances.
89. Sex is only a small part of any real relationship.
90. Clean and Sober.
91. Attitude of gratitude.
92. Easy does it.
93. One day at a time.
94. Keep it simple.
95. This too, shall pass.
96. Three thinks is the limit.
97. Let go and let G-d.
98. First things first.
99. Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
100. The pain and the loss.
101. My addict never sleeps.
102. My addict lies.
103. I am not smarter than my addict.
104. Run the movie through to the end.
105. The joy of recovery.
106. If I take an action, my feelings will follow.
107. Keep learning about recovery.
IMPROVE RELATION WITH G-D
SURRENDER, PRAYER, AND MEDITATION
108. Surrender in every moment
109. Meditate on the Serenity Prayer
110. Select 12-step prayers
111. Daily quiet time
112. Invite G-d in
113. G-d’s will discernment tool
114. Envision the presence of G-d
115. Examine old ideas about G-d
116. Came… Came to… Came to believe
MAINTAIN A FIT SPIRITUAL CONDITION
117. Pray every morning and every evening
118. Read SA and AA literature
119. Write fear lists
120. Maintain a gratitude list
121. Restart your day anytime with the Serenity Prayer
122. Daily sobriety renewal
123. Contact your sponsor regularly
124. Take Good Orderly Directions
125. Make a written 10th step
126. Write about what’s bothering you
ENLARGE ONE'S SPIRITUAL LIFE
127. Attend a religious service at least once a week
128. Move from fear to love
129. Listen to the Joe and Charlie AA workshop
130. Keep a diary
131. Read spiritual literature
IMPROVE RELATIONS WITH OTHERS
FORGIVENESS AND AMENDS
132. Forgive them all (step 8.5)
133. "I was wrong when..."
134. Who do I least want to meet today?
135. Traffic Sobriety.
136. Do whatever your sponsee refuses to do.
137. Rescuer, Victim, Abuser
138. Pray together
139. Work with another SA (or GYE person)
140. Stick with the winners
141. Stay in the present
142. What you think and what you feel and what you do...
143. Put the welfare of others first
144. How are you?
145. How can I be of service?
146. Always say "yes" to SA (or GYE) requests
147. Take on a service commitment
148. Sponsor others
149. Buddy list
150. Rotate out in good time
CARRYING THE MESSAGE
151. Call two newcomers every day
152. Share your experience, strength, and hope
153. Give your sobriety date
154. Quit preaching - tell them about the illness
155. Find your own Dr. Bob
157. Twelve steps to insanity
158. The pre-recovery promises
159. Hang out with your own gender
160. Write yourself a letter (and reply)
161. Slogans of recovery
162. Prayer: G-d, please help me have a positive sobriety.
163. Prayer: G-d, please help me see straight.
164. Increase your awareness of your perceptions and motives.
165. Talk, feel, trust
166. The Ramban's letter
168. Is this good for my recovery or not?
169. Whatever I place my recovery in front of will flourish; whatever I place in front of my recovery won't.
170. Humility, Fearlessness, Honesty
171. Watch out for RID (Restlessness, Irritability, Discontent).
172. BYOB (Bring Your Own Book)
173. Write your old ideas
174. SA and recovery audio recordings
175. Back to Basics
176. Big Book on Audio
177. Al-Anon prayer