Welcome, Guest

RebbiAkivaBefore40
(0 viewing) 
Scientific studies show that it takes 90 days to break an addictive pattern in the mind. Start your own Log of your journey to 90 days! Post here to update us on your status and to give each other chizuk to stay strong!
  • Page:

TOPIC: RebbiAkivaBefore40 433 Views

RebbiAkivaBefore40 07 Apr 2021 22:03 #366487

First of all, my usernmane. My first name is Akiva. When I was younger I would think, well, if I'm anything like Rebbi Akiva, I'll be an apikores until 40. But knowing that, I thought to myself, well, number one, I'm a pretty good kid. What could go wrong? Two, I have the advantage of hindsight. I know what I'm getting into. No way I'll ever be that bad. Anyway, that was before my Bar Mitzvah. 

We all have struggles, even Rebbi Akiva. Our struggles aren't the same. I hope I can overcome my struggles before I turn 40-- much before.

I've been at it for around 7 years. Today I start 90. Still not sure how much I want to say on this forum, or whether I'll continue to post. But here's for day one. 

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 08 Apr 2021 00:40 #366494

• happyyid
  • Current streak: 58 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome.
Hatzlacha on your journey!
Feel free to contact me happyyid613@gmail.com
My thread

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 08 Apr 2021 03:52 #366507

• zedj
  • Current streak: 14 days
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the party! 

There is so much to learn from the chevra here...you just gotta stay around and get to know the people.

What are some things you tried to do to stop?

Keep it one day at a time and BEZH you will get to a place you never thought possible.

Wishing you much success on your journey!

One who has given up hope is without a G‑d.

One who sees hope in each day is already free

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 09 Apr 2021 03:35 #366565

Wishing you much hatzlocha!

If you ever need anything feel free to pm me 
Think about how good you'll feel if you say no to desire and compare that to how bad you'll feel if you say yes.

Desire is unique in the way that it is never fulfilled -  if you give in the desire comes back even more powerful in just a few days. Telling yourself that its ok because this is really the last time doesn't work because you are just adding new images to your head that will cause future falls.

The Joy of triumph over the yetzer hara is worth the effort it takes to win. It IS worth it! Keep fighting!

My thread: 
Aiming to be better

Feel free to contact me at evedhashem1836@gmail.com

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 09 Apr 2021 22:19 #366609

TO paraphrase Rebbi Akiva: If drip by drip water can make a hole in a rock, then day by day you can make yourself stronger and stay clean. 

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 16:29 #366818

Thank you all for the חיזוק.

I had a fall last night so I’m back at 0. It’s really tough. I’m not sure there’s a person in my offline life that knows what I’m going through. I know there isn’t a person in my life that knows what I’m going through. I’m less concerned with the double life I’m living— although that does bother me sometimes. I’m more concerned with how my loneliness in all this makes me feel. I honestly think that I’m at it alone, and I’ll always be at it alone. And I’m somehow uniquely entrenched in this addiction. Those were the feelings I had last night when I fell.

I’m new to this forum. I’m not sure how it’ll help me. Whether in terms of my streak, or making me feel like there are others like me (even if it doesn’t help me keep my streak up.) 

Aside from free association, I guess my point is, I feel like I’m at a loss right now. I’ve lost confidence in myself and the tools available. I’m posting to the forum because I know it’s what I should do.

I know intellectually that what I’m saying is wrong. That even if I fall who knows how many more times, it’s more about the day to day life than the streak, the getting back up and the incremental successes. And that there is success in the 6 days I just had, and there is succes in me even trying. But it’s just all disappointing emotionally.

The short of it all: I’m looking for חיזוק.

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 16:56 #366819

• happyyid
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi
As you said, you are new to GYE, so the feelings that you have, that you are all alone in this makes sense. 
For the record there are 11532 members here. That should make you feel that you are most definitely not alone in the struggle. It may be that you are alone in terms of the people that know you, but online over here, we are all together working for this. We are your family!
Look around at other threads, you'll see that there are many people in the same or even worse situations as you.
Did you read the GYE handbook? It was a real mind opening for me and many others. Find it here
So stick around, look around, and keep on posting, that really helped me.
There's help for everyone. If someone is willing to get help, they will.

HappyYid
My thread
Last Edit: 14 Apr 2021 18:04 by happyyid.

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 17:00 #366820

• happyyid
  • Platinum Boarder
I sent you a PM, do you know how to access that?
My thread

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 17:42 #366822

• sapy
  • Platinum Boarder
May I know what you have tried already, that you lost confidence in yourself or the tools available?
Maybe I can use some of that for myself.

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 19:52 #366827

Thank you! I'll have to have a look at the handbook.

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 14 Apr 2021 21:16 #366832

• Striving Avreich
  • Current streak: 2 days
  • Gold Boarder
Do you have a mentor?
It's vital to have someone to talk to, to guide you etc. Loneliness is terrible and makes the addiction (and all I think) 100X worse.
Please reach out to people. I'd reccomend. R' HHM. I can give you his number if you want. He has helped countless people on here. 

Re: RebbiAkivaBefore40 31 May 2021 02:06 #369242

• happyyid
  • Platinum Boarder
Where did you go Akiva??
My thread
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds

Are you sure?

Yes